SASS Wire Forum

Need To Vent A Little and Could Use Some Advice

Calamity Kris

We were some of the many happy shoppers who took advantage of the black Friday deals and plunked down some cash on a much needed washer/dryer pair.  All of that went smoothly.  I received a text, phone call AND email to confirm my delivery time TODAY.  I responded affirmative to all of them.  The window was from 11:45am-3:45pm EST and they would call me 30 minutes before to confirm their arrival time.   I merrily cleaned up the laundry room and piled up my laundry awaiting delivery.   I have yet to receive the call.........

Called the store 30 minutes after their latest delivery time - after getting passed around the store, was hung up on.

Called the store 45 minutes after their latest delivery time - after getting passed around the store, was hung up on.

Called the store 60 minutes after their latest delivery time - after getting passed around the store, was hung up on.

Called the store 120 minutes after their latest delivery time - after getting passed around the store, was hung up on.

Part of me has some understanding that it is the busiest time of the year and they must be really backlogged.  Another part says a simple call could solve a lot of problems, why don't they call me to tell me what is going on?

My next impulse is to call the store manager and let loose.  While their delivery agents are contractors, the manager has to have SOME kind of pull with them.

Thoughts????

Vent Done ???

Feel Better ???

Maybe You should join the Grumps , if the Answer to both is No ...

Are ya's a Redhead ???  We needs more Redheads...

Jabez Cowboy

I think you've been more than patient enough.  I would call the store and ask for the manager. They usually will get the ball rolling on this.

To play the devil's advocate though, could be that they got caught up in some mess on the previous delivery and are having to figure that out. It happens.

My son had similar problem with a new bed. the company would only ship with a certain trucking company. They would call to make delivery arrangements when he was busy, he would change his plans, then they would not show up.  Went on  every other Friday for a month and a half.   Company would apologize and send him free pillows,  free sheets , anything but get the bed delivered.   Doesn't hurt to complain.  Remember be nice===The 1st time      GW

Update!!!

Just got off the phone with the store manager and assistant manager.  This is the story I received.

Their computer system crashed.  The internet system received and processed my order, as well as sent a notification to the delivery company to deliver.  Unfortunately, their pick system didn't receive the instructions to remove the items from the warehouse and prep them for delivery.  The only way they would know my order was missed was because I called them.  They will do their best to have someone deliver it tomorrow at a time that is convenient to me.  (I will not miss work for this!!!)  If it is not possible, we will make arrangements for a later date.  If I must have my laundry done at a laundromat or dry cleaners between now and the delivery date, I should submit a receipt to them and they will reimburse me on the spot. 

More to follow.............

Jabez - No, I am not a red head.  I'm a recovering blond.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Good on ya for your persistence.

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

I think you've been more than patient enough.  I would call the store and ask for the manager. They usually will get the ball rolling on this.

To play the devil's advocate though, could be that they got caught up in some mess on the previous delivery and are having to figure that out. It happens.

If this had been the case, I would have completely understood IF they had given me a call to say they were sorry for the delay and would be out as soon as possible.  Communication, even if it's bad news, is the key here.

Sounds like you're dealing with the same Lowe's that I dealt with...

I sent an e-mail to their corporate with details and the local manager called me back.

If it were me I would cancel the order and tell them to shove it and go buy somewhere else! I hope you paid with a credit card, if you paid by check cancel the check!:angry:

I had a similar situation a few years ago with a Sears Outlet store and I cancelled the order and my Sears credit card! I wound up getting a washer and dryer at Home depot and saved money to boot!

Wish I had some wise words to share, but really don't. Like one of my college buddies was fond of saying, "Like we say out west, that $h!t will happen. Hope it works out in the wash.

JHC

Back in 1974 I worked for an appliance store in Sheridan, Wyoming. I was a floor salesperson but when we got really busy (this time of year) I was called upon to deliver appliances. They trained me well and one day they told me to deliver a new dishwasher to such and such address, remove the old one and install the new one. Well I uncrated it and loaded up the new DW and took it to the address on the sales order, knocked on the door and got no response and down at the bottom of the sales order it said “ If no one is home, the door will be unlocked, go ahead and remove the old one and install the new one” so I did as instructed. I got back to the store and along about 4:00 the customer called and asked where his wife’s new DW was. I told him it was installed as instructed and he said “ the old dishwasher is still where it was when I left this morning” and I got that sinking feeling. Turns out the address on the sales order was for the west street address instead of the east street address. So I loaded up another DW and went and did the removal and install with instructions that when I finished go back and pick up the previously removed DW from the junk pile in back of the store and reinstall it. Well I got back to the shop to pick up the DW and the head service guy told me not to worry about it. It seems the lady in the first house liked her new dishwasher so much she went ahead and bought it. Back then in Sheridan, Wyoming and a lot of places nobody locked their doors

Unless I have no other choice I will not buy another appliance from a big box store. When we moved here almost 10 years ago we bought our refrigerator from Sears. They messed up everything. Told the sale clerk what the wife wanted and he wrote up the paperwork. When it was delivered it was the wrong configuration. Called to complain and was informed that they delivered what I signed for at the time I paid.  Seems the clerk botched the part number suffix and I didn't catch it so I was SOL.

Getting it serviced under warranty has been a nightmare. Takes them over a week to show up and then they have to order parts so that adds at least another week with a broken unit.

Had I known, there is a mom and pop store less than a quarter mile from the house that has excellent service and competitive prices. When you buy from them they log all the pertinent data into their store logs.  When you call for service or to order a part on your own they already know exactly what you have. 

12 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

We were some of the many happy shoppers who took advantage of the black Friday deals and plunked down some cash on a much needed washer/dryer pair.  All of that went smoothly.  I received a text, phone call AND email to confirm my delivery time TODAY.  I responded affirmative to all of them.  The window was from 11:45am-3:45pm EST and they would call me 30 minutes before to confirm their arrival time.   I merrily cleaned up the laundry room and piled up my laundry awaiting delivery.   I have yet to receive the call.........

Called the store 30 minutes after their latest delivery time - after getting passed around the store, was hung up on.

Called the store 45 minutes after their latest delivery time - after getting passed around the store, was hung up on.

Called the store 60 minutes after their latest delivery time - after getting passed around the store, was hung up on.

Called the store 120 minutes after their latest delivery time - after getting passed around the store, was hung up on.

Part of me has some understanding that it is the busiest time of the year and they must be really backlogged.  Another part says a simple call could solve a lot of problems, why don't they call me to tell me what is going on?

My next impulse is to call the store manager and let loose.  While their delivery agents are contractors, the manager has to have SOME kind of pull with them.

Thoughts????

go back to the store and demand a refund. Reason: non performance of contract agreement.

there may be an item in your contract that says you will not sue or write a negative review.  However: once the contract is in non-performance I'm not sure such stipulations remain enforceable.  I'd get nasty with 'em; I love doing that :) see if you can embarrass them into honoring their agreement.

then scratch 'em from your vendor file.

-

looks like you got it resolved.   Good job!

Sedalia is absolutely right about Sears.  I've had nothing but problems from them with service.  My top of the line Kenmore refrigerator had the ice maker go out in less than 2 years.  Took a week to come out to "find out the problem" after I specifically told them which part was needed.  Came out and didn't have "that" part on the truck so it was going to be another week to get part, but scheduled service for after that.  Never showed up nor called to say they weren't coming.  Another call to get service now the part was in.  Only had to wait 4 days this time for service instead of 7.   Six months later and now I'm having problems again.  Only reason I'm going to call Sears for service is I have the extended warranty.  Otherwise I'd call someone else to service it.

When I moved I called Sears service to reinstall the gas dryer at the new house and specifically stated "GAS" dryer.  Had been without washer/dryer for over a week and desperately needed to do laundry.  Repairman showed up and said, "I don't do "gas" dryers.  Only certain repair guys can install gas dryers."  Luckily called a local repairman who came out within a couple of hours and got dryer installed so I could do laundry.  

No wonder Sears is filing bankruptcy.  Not the same Sears they used to be.  I no longer trust their appliances at all.

Lowe’s is horrible if you call the 1-800 number to order and set up delivery.  They sell you item, set up delivery, but twice in a row had to call me back and tell me they really didn’t have the item and couldn’t meet promises delivery date.

i just got a new WD combo from Costco.  It took 2 months to get order in, but they are monster units that cost 1500 each and the sale price was for a PAIR for 1500!  They told me up front would be delayed, delivery was perfect once arrived and no nickel and diming....everything needed for install was included which saves a lot and they moved old ones as well as delivered when I was gone.

plus the extra year warranty with Costco.  I’m relatively new to them but highly impressed so far.

It’s another lesson in Life’s trade-offs:  get a great deal, but treated like crap; versus, pay a higher price at an earlier date, and get better treatment.

Years ago when my wife and I moved to a new home we had to buy all new appliances as the prior homeowner gutted the place prior to being evicted. We went to Home Depot, and we bought over $3000 worth of appliances and arranged for them to be delivered. Days later I got a call from them stating that they'd just changed delivery contractors and the new one did not deliver to our area. Thus began several days of very heated phone calls with Home Depot trying to get someone to deliver our &$%#! appliances before we moved in. At one point I went to the store and asked to speak the their manager, and a really large young man came out and assured me that everything would be taken care of. They weren't, and when I went back there I suddenly noticed a sign over their entrance that showed the name and picture of the actual store manager (a woman). When I asked to speak to HER I was told she wasn't in that day. Eventually I managed to get them to refund us on the appliances and we went to Lowes instead, who delivered the appliances a month after we'd moved into a house with nothing to cook on or wash clothes with. That was 15 years ago... I haven't spent a dime in a Home Depot store since.

The Cleveland area consists of about 1- 1/2 million people in Cuyahoga county.

There's ONE Sears store left!

I had been a life long fan and Customer at Lowes.  Had them install new Pella windows, my wife had them do a kitchen make-over with new appliances and counters, and I always bought from them for the updates and home repair/update needs I did.  Then, we had them install laminate flooring in our house, it was a nightmare.  The installer did not leave enough clearance at the walls, and the floor boards buckled at the seams as they expanded.  We had left the flooring packages in the house for about a month before installation to equalize the moisture levels., so that wasn't the problem.  They came back, pulled up the floor in the foyer, and fixed that room.  Still the rest of the house floors looked with a wavy ocean where the boards met.  In one of my complaint trips to Lowes, the inside sales rep asked who the Lowes contractor was, I told him, and he advised me they no longer used them as an installer due to the number of complaints they had with their installations.  Then Lowes told me the problem was mine, that my twenty-five year old house had "suddenly" developed a moisture problem, and that was why the floor looked so bad.  My termite inspector runs a check under the house annually, and has seen no issues.  If I cannot find it at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, or anywhere else, I will go to Lowes, but never, never again for an installation.  

On 11/25/2018 at 3:09 PM, Calamity Kris said:

Thoughts????

Any updates?

OLG

On 11/29/2018 at 1:10 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Any updates?

OLG

Yes.

I received an automated call from the delivery company. early Monday morning.  They were scheduled to arrive between 5:00pm and 9:00pm.  Wonderful!!!  An hour or so later, I received another call from the delivery company.  They had three cancellations and would be arriving at my house in about an hour and a half.  CRAP!!!  The only other time they had available would have been today.  That was not acceptable.  I had to beg my manager to let me finish the day from home, grabbed my laptop and hit the road.  Just as I was pulling into the driveway, the delivery company called and said they would be here in 20 minutes.  They were very courteous and clean.  The new pair was installed and hooked up in no time and they hauled the old pair away.   After it was all said and done, even Uno commented at the difference between the way this company runs it's stores in California and the way they are run here.  Huge difference.  Unless it is necessary, I don't know if I'll ever make another purchase from them again.  My plan is to send the email to corporate this weekend, as I've put in another 50 hours week at the office and simply didn't have the time.

BTW - the gentleman who worked on the old pair informed me Kenmore appliances are usually re-badged Roper, Kitchen-Aid or Whirlpool, of course at a markup.  Why pay the markup when you can get the real thing.

Some "service" people are in over their heads and with low unemployment Management needed a body.  Service person gets the call, tries to remember their training and either on purpose or accidentally disconnects the call.  Same Service person will find something else to do quickly so when the customer calls back the call will be picked up by a different service person.  

Washer and dryer are over 20 years old.  Dryer I've fixed twice and the washer decided not to spin.  I decided to replace both so I don't have to deal with them again before the kids put us in a nursing home. Box store has what the wife wants for less with free delivery and free disposal of the old then the mom & pop store.  I bought from the Mom & Pop store.  M&P delivered as promise. 

Refrigerator (20 years old plus) is now jealous and the ice maker (I've replaced once already) is being noncooperative.  Off with it's head!  Yesterday I ordered a new one from the same M&P.  Holidays and they are back logged.  New unit will be delivered 12/13 first thing in the morning.  I asked what their definition of, "first thing in the morning" was.  8-8:30 AM.

Large companies have many layers of bureaucracy which makes it harder to hold an employee accountable and has more cracks for things to fall though (accidentally or on purpose)  M&P stores don't have the layers.  Chances are the one that took your order is the Owner and the one that deliveries is the son or husband. 

Big Box wanted my money when I placed the order.  M&P store wants their money on delivery.  Guess which one I have the most leverage over if they are a now show?

9 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Some "service" people are in over their heads and with low unemployment Management needed a body.  Service person gets the call, tries to remember their training and either on purpose or accidentally disconnects the call.  Same Service person will find something else to do quickly so when the customer calls back the call will be picked up by a different service person.  

Washer and dryer are over 20 years old.  Dryer I've fixed twice and the washer decided not to spin.  I decided to replace both so I don't have to deal with them again before the kids put us in a nursing home. Box store has what the wife wants for less with free delivery and free disposal of the old then the mom & pop store.  I bought from the Mom & Pop store.  M&P delivered as promise. 

Refrigerator (20 years old plus) is now jealous and the ice maker (I've replaced once already) is being noncooperative.  Off with it's head!  Yesterday I ordered a new one from the same M&P.  Holidays and they are back logged.  New unit will be delivered 12/13 first thing in the morning.  I asked what their definition of, "first thing in the morning" was.  8-8:30 AM.

Large companies have many layers of bureaucracy which makes it harder to hold an employee accountable and has more cracks for things to fall though (accidentally or on purpose)  M&P stores don't have the layers.  Chances are the one that took your order is the Owner and the one that deliveries is the son or husband. 

Big Box wanted my money when I placed the order.  M&P store wants their money on delivery.  Guess which one I have the most leverage over if they are a now show?

We have an interesting twist with our situation.  We live relatively far outside the city limits.  The gentleman who serviced our appliances will only work on American made.  He said he has a difficult time getting parts in a timely manor for the foreign makes.  He is also the only guy I could get to come our here for service.  No one else would.  The only "super centers" in our area are BJs and Sams.  They carry only LG.  If our service guy will only work on American, that limits what I purchase.  I didn't find a mom and pop store that would deliver out here, let alone set it up and haul the old away.  We were stuck with the two big hardware chains and that was it.  One had a great black Friday sale on what we were looking for, the other didn't.

Archived