SASS Wire Forum

Of all the stupid, most idotic, brainless ideas I have ever heard

Red Cent

That's hard to even believe; It used to be bad to come to a gun fight with a knife, but rocks! Really.

This is as bad an idea as having the kids sing Kumbaya or Michael row the boat ashore, or the Coke song.    I wonder if these so-called educators are even in the same dimension as the rest of humanity.  The really sad and disturbing part of this is these folks are teaching our children.  It is scary.

STL Suomi

Where there isn't an armed presence, school districts and businesses train "Run, Hide, Fight,"  in which they say to hit with or throw whatever is at hand at the perpetrator. When thrown, a rock is going to do a lot more than a book or a highlighter. Mrs. Doc keeps an aluminum softball bat in her room. Are there better options? Clearly. Are there worse options? I would say yes to that as well.

To throw a rock at a shooter, he will be coming at you through the class room door and you will make a great target. Or you can take your rocks with you when you run from the classroom. What happened to the "Run, hide, and fight" mentality?

Maryland School Resource Officer Stopped Gunman

https://www.officer.com/tactical/swat/news/20997319/st-marys-county-school-resource-officer-deputy-first-class-blaine-gaskill-credited-with-stopping-gunman-at-great-mills-high-school-in-lexington-park-maryland

Well, I mostly grew up in Pennsylvania. One thing that PA kids can do better than probably any other kids I encountered, we moved around a lot but always ended up back there, was throw rocks. I'm not making light of this just stating my point of view. Imagine some dude walking into a classroom with 20 boys hurling rocks at him. It's a helluva lot better than hiding, that's for dang sure.

And add a slingshot in each desk and it becomes Davids vs Goliath. Just saying.

At the risk of once again being chastised, ( I was awarded a warning point, in part for making the following statement. I was told that it was for posting it in big red block letters. <_<)

Political Correctness and the dumbing down of the populace has done nothing but create bigger and more complete idiots!!!

Reminds of the middle school down the street from me that conducted a "drill" after 9/11. 

Principal thought it a great idea to herd kids into the gym, lock the doors and seal off all doors, windows and ventilation ducts to "protect" the kids from bio/gas attack. Terrified kids called parents via cell phones. Parents arriving at school were forbidden contact with their kids until the "exercise" was over. Local authorities (who were never consulted) determined that even if there was a nerve agent attack, the kids would have suffocated anyway.

Black eye for the Shawnee Mission School District of Johnson County, Kansas, but as I recall, the principal kept his job.

Appears some of our leaders were and remain morons.

:ph34r:  You can rely on administrators in the field of education to be some of the most pitiful excuses for leaders and innovators.  A VERY large part of why I bailed out of teaching shortly after beginning.

If there is a halfa**ed  solution available, count on them to find (or even create) it.

God help the future of the Republic.....

If my kid were in that or any school I would prefer he or she at least have some chance at protecting them self other than relying on what is at every other school in the nation...wimpy, limp-wristed bureaucrats or fat donut shaped rent-a-cops.

Howdy,

Have they really considered keeping a pot of boiling oil in each classroom?

Or maybe one of those bolo things?

I was once pretty good with a slingshot.

My Uncle kept a rifle next to the back door.

Usually a broom was in front of the rifle cause Aunt Ruby put it there.

Nobody and I mean NObody ever touched that rifle but my uncle.

The right tool for the job, folks.

Right tool for the job.

Best

CR

Im tellin ya. FIRE EXTINGUISHERS. Useful for intended purpose, effective as clubs or shot to the face and minimal harm if misused. Makes too much sense

Imis

Oh and inexpensive

Let's keep in mind that it's not the weapon, it's the person. :huh:

5ab65829dab65_CainkilledAbelwitharock.jpg.38260e0f4279e654af123dc7b68c61df.jpg

The right tools for the job are guns. How many of these schools will allow that? NONE!

When was the last time anyone here interacted with the people that run these schools? I have, it’s like dealing with articulate semi-educated retards (if you just thought “I don’t like that word” then more than likely you are part of the problem)

Getting one armed cop on the property is a chore unless they are forced to  because (use your whiney voice here) “They don’t have a budget”

Getting police to provide more than one cop is a chore because (use your whiney voice here) “They don’t have a budget”

Getting politicians to get on board with putting cops at school is a choir because (use your whiney voice here) “They don’t have a budget”

“We don’t have the budget” 

is code for “we have an excuse not to act because it doesn't meet our agenda!”

Yeah, sounds paranoid doesn’t it? 

Let’s discuss this in a year when we are having the same discussion because someone’s little Johnny went off his nut and killed some kids and the marches in the streets call for yet another control on the populace.

Pat (what kicked his soapbox into the corner) Riot

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The right tools for the job are guns. How many of these schools will allow that? NONE!

When was the last time anyone here interacted with the people that run these schools? I have, it’s like dealing with articulate semi-educated retards (if you just thought “I don’t like that word” then more than likely you are part of the problem)

Getting one armed cop on the property is a chore unless they are forced to  because (use your whiney voice here) “They don’t have a budget”

Getting police to provide more than one cop is a chore because (use your whiney voice here) “They don’t have a budget”

Getting politicians to get on board with putting cops at school is a choir because (use your whiney voice here) “They don’t have a budget”

“We don’t have the budget” 

is code for “we have an excuse not to act because it doesn't meet our agenda!”

Yeah, sounds paranoid doesn’t it? 

Let’s discuss this in a year when we are having the same discussion because someone’s little Johnny went off his nut and killed some kids and the marches in the streets call for yet another control on the populace.

Pat (what kicked his soapbox into the corner) Riot

While there are plenty of districts that undoubtedly do have the budget to have law enforcement on premises, there are many that decidedly do not. Mrs. Doc works in a cash strapped district--far from the worst in Ohio-- where things like asbestos, black mold, lead in the water, leaking roofs and antiquated boiler systems that are hard to find parts for are facts of life. That is NOT an exaggeration. They are working to close schools and RIF teachers, increasing class sizes to well beyond what is generally recognized as optimal, so that they can continue as a district. Meanwhile, those problems I mentioned like asbestos and mold will continue to exist.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled that Ohio's system of school funding is unconstitutional under the State Constitution, but the legislature would do nothing about it until the Supreme Court threw up their hands. So those budgetary problems will likely exist for the foreseeable future.

So, if you're sitting on that school board, do you recommend taking several hundred thousand dollars from the budget that is already bordering on a deficit for law enforcement in each school for a statistically unlikely event, or do you try to address issues that you know are health risks that confront the children every day, or do you try to maintain teachers so that the children have the best opportunity at an education?

I agree that an armed officer (ideally more) is the best plan against such an event. If I had my way, every school would have no less than three officers on duty during the school day. Two doing door duty at a metal detector when children are coming in at the beginning of the day before doing patrols, and one at a bank of security monitors, allowing egress through remote door, instead of a typically multi-tasking secretary asking who is present before buzzing a person in.

Realistically, even one officer isn't always an option for many districts. Even assuming the money is found at the State or Federal level, which do you think many teachers and parents would prefer to see it utilized toward?

Me and a pard of mine are going to fill up a big box with rocks and go to the gun show tomorrow. We plan on selling them for a buck or two apiece, whadya think???:P

56 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Me and a pard of mine are going to fill up a big box with rocks and go to the gun show tomorrow. We plan on selling them for a buck or two apiece, whadya think???:P

How many for $5 and is there a difference in price for the shiny ones? :D

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How many for $5 and is there a difference in price for the shiny ones? :D

The pointy ones are more expensive because they do more damage, shiny ones are buy one get two free!!:P

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I mostly grew up in Pennsylvania. One thing that PA kids can do better than probably any other kids I encountered, we moved around a lot but always ended up back there, was throw rocks. I'm not making light of this just stating my point of view. Imagine some dude walking into a classroom with 20 boys hurling rocks at him. It's a helluva lot better than hiding, that's for dang sure.

While far from the best solution it's better than nothing. A baseball size rock to the head thrown by a large teenage boy will put your butt down now

For those whiney voiced that cry they don't have a budget, consider this: 

Estimates are that the US expenditures on illegals was $155 billion dollars.

How many teachers could be trained and armed for that?

How many safety officers could be trained and equipped for that?

How many school officials could be trained to recognize and deal with mental health issues for that?

Laws and procedures were in place to stop this animal, the people responsible failed to do their job.

During the event there were people trained to react and handle the situation, they failed to do their job.

A bucket of rocks is the equivalent of telling them "stand up in front of a psycho with a gun holding a rock, it will add to the body count"

kicking my soapbox into the corner next to Pat Riot's

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The pointy ones are more expensive because they do more damage, shiny ones are buy one get two free!!:P

I like shiny things...:D

I would recommend some small rocks...about 3/8" in diameter (.32") placed in a tube about .72" in diameter, with a goodly amount of granulated chemical compound, with an initiator, and placed in a tubular launcher constricted at the far end of the tube to concentrate the area that the "rocks" hit the intended target!  In other words, a 12ga shotgun loaded with Double-Ought buckshot! :o

8 hours ago, DocWard said:

While there are plenty of districts that undoubtedly do have the budget to have law enforcement on premises, there are many that decidedly do not. Mrs. Doc works in a cash strapped district--far from the worst in Ohio-- where things like asbestos, black mold, lead in the water, leaking roofs and antiquated boiler systems that are hard to find parts for are facts of life. That is NOT an exaggeration. They are working to close schools and RIF teachers, increasing class sizes to well beyond what is generally recognized as optimal, so that they can continue as a district. Meanwhile, those problems I mentioned like asbestos and mold will continue to exist.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled that Ohio's system of school funding is unconstitutional under the State Constitution, but the legislature would do nothing about it until the Supreme Court threw up their hands. So those budgetary problems will likely exist for the foreseeable future.

So, if you're sitting on that school board, do you recommend taking several hundred thousand dollars from the budget that is already bordering on a deficit for law enforcement in each school for a statistically unlikely event, or do you try to address issues that you know are health risks that confront the children every day, or do you try to maintain teachers so that the children have the best opportunity at an education?

I agree that an armed officer (ideally more) is the best plan against such an event. If I had my way, every school would have no less than three officers on duty during the school day. Two doing door duty at a metal detector when children are coming in at the beginning of the day before doing patrols, and one at a bank of security monitors, allowing egress through remote door, instead of a typically multi-tasking secretary asking who is present before buzzing a person in.

Realistically, even one officer isn't always an option for many districts. Even assuming the money is found at the State or Federal level, which do you think many teachers and parents would prefer to see it utilized toward?

Perhaps someone needs to look at the size of the administration.

When my daughter’s middle school was in dire need of funds the administration said “there is nothing we can do”. Their answer was to move the students to another school and the utilize the closed school as an administration building! Ludicrous! They had more administrators than they had teachers. Luckily some of that changed the next election cycle but it never was truly fixed.

45 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Perhaps someone needs to look at the side of the administration.

When my daughter’s middle school was in dire need of funds the administration said “there is nothing we can do”. Their answer was to move the students to another school and the utilize the closed school as an administration building! Ludicrous! They had more administrators than they had teachers. Luckily some of that changed the next election cycle but it never was truly fixed.

I'm assuming you mean size of the administration. The district isn't top heavy compared to some. Off the top of my head, her district could get possibly eliminate the one assistant to the superintendent and two vice principal positions. I don't know what those would mean for the workloads of those who would stick around, though. Barely enough to make a dent in the fiscal issues they have. Meanwhile, the issues continue.

The best monetary savings they could come by would to eliminate the state mandated proficiency testing, for which they have to pay the companies that produce the tests, the materials, and, of course grading.

Archived