SASS Wire Forum

How Many Henry 1860

Rooster Ron Wayne

I just love my Old Henry 1860 44/40 .

Got me  Wondering Who else Love's this Fine Rifle ?

Lest see some pic's of them Sexy Henry  Long Guns .

IMG_20171128_183505_570.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's mine.  Brown barrel.  Got it from Cabelas in 1991.  Engraving done by Jim Downing - The Gun Engraver about 5 years ago.

DSCN1829.JPG

DSCN1839.JPG

i have one - a plain one without that engraving , i love shooting it but in a match i hate the fumble of the magazine follower , dont get me wrong i will not part with it , i just shoot it less than the others - 66 , 73 , 92 

I have one, love shoot'n it!  I often pair it up with my CZ hammered classic with 30" barrels!  Sure is a fun rifle.

At our BP match at Butterfield Gulch Gang I often send out a "Henry challenge"... A challenge to shoot the Henry all 10stages with Black Powder... Best time wins!

I've had a couple; one iron framed and one brass framed, both .44-40. I still have, and shoot, the brass framed one now and again, but maybe only a couple times a year.

I have an 1860 Henry I have used for Civil War reenacting for about 24 years.  It is converted to fire blanks made out of star crimped 44 mag. brass.  A couple of years ago I went to a reenactment and fired 690 blanks out of it for the weekend, what a rush!  And was that gun filthy after all those black powder blanks.

me&henry.jpg

Found this on YouTube.

Thought it was worth sharing.

I bought one expecting to shoot it.  It's too beautiful to shoot.  Put about 10 rounds through it.  It is now in a beautiful wood case hanging in my office.  I shoot my 1873.

This is from 2015 when I participated in the 150th Battle of Selma Alabama, it's the first time I used my 1860 Henry that I got years ago.  The rifle is 44-40 and I now everything to load for that caliber next year I hope to shoot it in a SASS match just for fun.

Trooper.JPG

I have one. Love shooting BP from it. 

No Lonesome Dove fan should be without one. 

:D

2 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Hmmm.

I see ONE rifle but THREE safes. 

More toys somewhere in that pic...:D

I have a Henry made by the Henry ( same Company as make the Henry 22's) and LOVE the gun

In fact it is going to my oldest Grandson and his middle name is Henry

So I have a Henry, Made by Henry and going to Henry

Now my other Grandson's middle is Harley

I like shooting my Henry with my 1860 Colts and my Colt (Copy ) Hammered SXS Shotgun.

All with BP full loads .

Making Everyone Choke , On them humid days it just hangs lol 

Screenshot_2017-11-29-08-07-25.jpg

1 hour ago, Long Johns Wolf said:

Mine is from 2006 in .44 Special cal. but fed with .44 Colt cartridges - inside lubed - only.

For two years she was my main match rifle.

Long Johns Wolf

1-P1000970.JPG

2-P1000971.JPG

Very Nice !

I shoot 1872 Open Top 44 special's  and  or Cap Guns .

I have looked for a 44 special Henry for years .

Never have found one for sale yet .

If you ever want to sell it ?

Im your Huckleberry .

I am going to follow Trailboss Dave and get one from Henry as soon as I get a Winchester 1866, then after the Henry I will start saving for a 1886 and that should complete my lever action collection, unless an affordable 1895 comes along in 30-40 as I had a cousin in the Spanish American War. 

4 hours ago, Long Johns Wolf said:

Mine is from 2006 in .44 Special cal. but fed with .44 Colt cartridges - inside lubed - only.

For two years she was my main match rifle.

Long Johns Wolf

2 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Very Nice !

I shoot 1872 Open Top 44 special's  and  or Cap Guns .

I have looked for a 44 special Henry for years .

Never have found one for sale yet .

If you ever want to sell it ?

Im your Huckleberry .

I never knew they made such a thing. Other than a .44-40 lined to .38-40, I've never seen them in anything but .45 Colt and .44-40.

15 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I have an 1860 Henry I have used for Civil War reenacting for about 24 years.  It is converted to fire blanks made out of star crimped 44 mag. brass.  A couple of years ago I went to a reenactment and fired 690 blanks out of it for the weekend, what a rush!  And was that gun filthy after all those black powder blanks.

me&henry.jpg

Is that the French barracks at Old Fort Niagara in the background?  

I have one imported by Navy Arms from about 1990 (?) when I started in CAS/SASS.  It is a .44-40.  It is muzzle-heavy, and due to my poor, old, aching back, I don't shoot it much anymore. :(  Now I mostly shoot Rossi '92's (one .44-40 and one .44 Mangle-em, depending on what ammo I have loaded and which matching cylinder I put in my OM Ruger Vaqueros).  When I stopped counting, I had about 3,500 rounds through the Henry, using smokeless loads exclusively (too lazy to clean BP).

16 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I have one. Love shooting BP from it. 

No Lonesome Dove fan should be without one. 

:D

I’d be interested in hearing about your (or anyone else’s )routine for cleaning a Henry after using black powder. Thanks. 

Seamus. 

I enjoy my brass frame 24" 44-40. I usually shoot it on our 5th Saturday matches. shoot a pair of 58 Remmies in 44-40 and a 1883 Adams and Sons hammered SxS. all with BP.  I made a wooden spacer stick to help avoid the "Henry Hop", but usually manage to catch it on something.

And yes, the scene where Gus rachets up the ole Ladder sight and shoots Dog Face is one of my favorite all time movie scenes.

54 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

I’d be interested in hearing about your (or anyone else’s )routine for cleaning a Henry after using black powder. Thanks. 

Seamus. 

I used to shoot Goex .

And used to clean with Hot water and Ballastal .

I switched to APP fff a few years ago .

You can use regular lube bullets .

And Clean up is just like cleaning smokeless powder .

But I still use Ballistal just because .

But make lots of smoke !

Its not for everyone but it works for me.

Rooster 

4 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

Is that the French barracks at Old Fort Niagara in the background?  

Yes it is,  Years ago we use to garison the fort for the weekend, but it was at the Mumford reenactment that I shot the 690 blanks.  I would have made it to 700 but they ended the last battle on Sunday prematurely.  I had the last 10 in the magazine and I was ready to unload it at some rebels we had cornered.  (Over there heads of corse).

25 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Yes it is,  Years ago we use to garison the fort for the weekend, but it was at the Mumford reenactment that I shot the 690 blanks.  I would have made it to 700 but they ended the last battle on Sunday prematurely.  I had the last 10 in the magazine and I was ready to unload it at some rebels we had cornered.  (Over there heads of corse).

I THOUGHT that looked familiar!  I used to do the July 4th French and Indian War event with the Maryland Forces back in the early 2000's.  Because we were with the British forces, we camped out outside the wall, but we would go in and join the French forces in the evenings and drink by the water next to the French barracks and get snot-slinging drunk.  Good times...  :P

This started out as a .44-40.  Had chamber sleeved to .44 Spl.  Then had carrier face modified so it would feed any mix of .44 Russian, Spl. or Colt.  Here is a video of me shooting 16 rounds of .44 Russian at Ripon, WI back in 2008.  Sadly, I no longer have this rifle.  IIRC, I sold it to someone on the SASS Classifieds.

16 in Henry.AVI

I'll need to get a pic of mine.  I run 45C.  I have shot in sparingly maybe 4 stages.  Picked it up before getting into CAS.  

Sleepy Floyd

18 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I never knew they made such a thing. Other than a .44-40 lined to .38-40, I've never seen them in anything but .45 Colt and .44-40.

From my understanding Uberti only made One run of 44 specials for one year .

They are a very desirable rifle .

I have ben told Judge Roy Bean ( SASS #1 ) Has and Shoots a Henry 44 Special .

Many People has Pettioned Uberti with a List of buyers to get Uberti to make another run of 44 Special Henrys.

With No Luck now for years of asking .

I have the 66 and 73 both in 44 Special .

There really is NO reason they could not make a run of the 44 Henry again .

Maybe if we got a buyer like Cimarron to place a large order of 44 special Henrys ,

It would convince uberti to make a run again .

There are several post over on Cascity of saying they will put up the cash to order a run of Henry 44 Specials .

Including myself Im on the list for two !

Rooster 

Howdy

I bought my 44-40 'iron frame' Henry about ten years ago. It was on sale at Dixie Gunworks for about $200 under list price. Ever since that time it has been my Main Match rifle and I seldom shoot anything else.

Henry07_zps6828738f.jpg

Other than when it was proofed at the factory, it has never fired a Smokeless round.

BlackPowderCountryPond_zpsc1361063.jpg

I load with Schuetzen FFg, and a Big Lube Mav-Dutchman 200 grain .428 bullet.

shiny%20cases%2044-40_zpsgmduzinz.jpg

To clean my Henry I place a spent case in the chamber and close the action. Holding the rifle vertical I run a bronze bristle brush up and down the bore a few times to loosen the fouling. Then I soak a patch in my favorite water based BP solvent and place it in the slotted end of my cleaning rod and twirl it down the barrel. I pull the patch out and replace it with a fresh one soaked in BP solvent. The first few patches will be coated with black powder fouling. After a few, they come out stained gray. This means all the fouling has been washed out of the bore and is sitting down in the empty case in the chamber. I turn the rifle upside down and eject the spent case, along with a spray of dirty solvent onto the ground. A little bit of swabbing around the carrier and the place the carrier rides in the frame with more solvent, and a little bit of swabbing on the firing pin extension. Then I soak a patch in Ballistol and run it down the bore, followed by a dry patch to mop up the extra. A little more Ballistol on and around the carrier and the firing pin extension followed by a little bit squirted into the action near the hammer. All done, takes about ten minutes.  I like to do it at the car at the end of the match, rather than wait until I get home.

I use the slotted end of the cleaning rod rather than a jag because the a jag can jam the patch into the mouth of the case in the chamber. The thin coat of Ballistol left on everything insures that if every last molecule of fouling was not swabbed out, nothing will rust. Been doing it this way for about ten years now, so far, so good.

This method will work for any toggle link rifle, I used to clean my '73 the same way.

On 11/28/2017 at 7:25 PM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I just love my Old Henry 1860 44/40 .

Got me  Wondering Who else Love's this Fine Rifle ?

Lest see some pic's of them Sexy Henry  Long Guns .

Rooster looks like his Henry might have a couple of live rounds or is that the follower that eliminated the famous Henry hop?

9 minutes ago, Swift Stoney 49735 said:

Rooster looks like his Henry might have a couple of live rounds or is that the follower that eliminated the famous Henry hop?

LOL .

Thats the Henry Hop stick !

Works great lol.

Rooster 

I have three:

My main match rifle is a 20" 44-40 Henry Transitional built by Colorado Coffinmaker, patterned after one made by a Peruvian gunsmith in the late 1800s.

I also have a 24" 44-40 Henry Transitional built by Happy Trails.

My 3rd is a 19" Henry Carbine in 45 Colt, set up for 45 Cowboy Special by Colorado Coffinmaker.

Here's me shooting my 20" Main Match Henry Transitional:

--Dawg

Dawg With Henry.jpg

Archived