SASS Wire Forum

The Evolution of Country Western Music

Subdeacon Joe

But the truck would take the dog and the beer when it left!!!:lol:

2 minutes ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

I'll take those songs any day over the pop and rock that passes for country today.  Nothing against pop and rock.  I just don't like it when they try to tell me it's country. 

Ah!  I'm not the only one who thinks that the "country" music for the past 10 years or so sounds like rock with a twang.

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Ah!  I'm not the only one who thinks that the "country" music for the past 10 years or so sounds like rock with a twang.

Not by a long shot you're not.

46 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Most of us who were there consider that stuff "Lynyrd Skynyrd" wannabes!!!

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

But the truck would take the dog and the beer when it left!!!:lol:

And then we would have another song about trains, whistles and getting out of prison:D

I call that a win-win

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

2 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

And then we would have another song about trains, whistles and getting out of prison:D

I call that a win-win

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

David Allen Coe fan, are ya'?? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

More like 25 years or so, I blame Billy Ray Cyrus.

I recall an interview with "Rascal Flatts" several years ago in which they were talking about a conversation they had with Merle Haggard:

Merle: "What kind of songs do you guys sing?"

RF:  "We sing Country, Mr. Haggard."

Merle: "Not with those earrings you don't!"

Dont know if they still have earrings or not.

When I think "country" I think Merle, George Jones, Johnny Cash...feel free to add to the list!

Apologies SJ; not trying to hijack the thread.

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Heck, J-Bar ... by now you should know that I appreciate the twists and turns conversations take.  I've yet to see one of my threads "hijacked."  Maybe veer onto some side roads, but always seem to keep going the same direction.

Heck, if not for a side road I took back in '08, I wouldn't have found out about the six Confederate graves in Camden Point, MO.   

Camden Point 1.jpg

Camden Point 2.jpg

Camden Point 3.jpg

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If it wasn't for the oldies country station I would have nothing to listen to on the radio but news.

I thought everything was on the internet, but t'ain't so.

Back in the early 70s there were two country songs, and I've been lookin' for 'em for years. Google no help.

"I cain't be no country music singer

Don't like to drink, never been divorced, ain't spent no time in jail."

T'other'n was about "Irving, the patriotic rattlesnake, who would never bite a member of the VFW".

To me Country and Western are two different types of music. And I agree with everyone here , what passes for country now days , isn't.

My personal tastes run mostly to Honky-Tonk sound ,  at least Dance-Hall. Long live Bob Wills music.

Rex :D

I agree that there aren't performers around like Johnny Cash and Loretta Lynn any more, but that doesn't mean I enjoy some of what comes out of the "country" radio stations.  Maybe I'm just not that beholden to certain labels.  To me, music is kind of like wine.  If it sounds/tastes good, listen/drink it.  Don't worry about the price tag or label.

Shucks, if Hootie can become Darius Rucker, go from pop to country, and produce music like "Wagon Wheel", you gotta ask yourself if labels and names are really that important.

I don't even have a country station on my truck radio. I listen to CD's. E. Tubb, Patsy Montana, Kitty Wells, etc. The crap they call country today is put out by people that want to sing rock but cant make it in the rock crowd. I couldn't even till you the latest "country" hit. "another part of America lost".

15 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I recall an interview with "Rascal Flatts" several years ago in which they were talking about a conversation they had with Merle Haggard:

Merle: "What kind of songs do you guys sing?"

RF:  "We sing Country, Mr. Haggard."

Merle: "Not with those earrings you don't!"

Dont know if they still have earrings or not.

When I think "country" I think Merle, George Jones, Johnny Cash...feel free to add to the list!

Merle was correct. 

I keep going back to Hank Thompson, Little Jimmy Dickens, and Roy Acuff's  Walbash Cannon Ball sticks in my mind. 

2 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

cant make it in the rock crowd.

How is that possible?? :D:D

All I can say is THANK GOD for XM radio!!  I don't hafta' listen to what they call rock 'n' roll today!!  There are a number of artists and bands that STILL write, record, and perform real ROCK!! Unless you go online or have satellite radio you'll never hear 'em!!

Never liked country much. Exceptions are Ray Price, Willy, and SOME Johnny Cash. Trishia Yearwood is a nice lady and Marty Stewart is a good guy!  Me 'n' Don Williams spent some time together years ago and he was great!!  BUT!!!  I'M A ROCKER!!  I LOVE THE BLUES!!  I HATE RAP!!  I DESPISE MOST OF THE NEW COUNTRY AND MOST ALL OF THE ALTERNATIVE ROCK!!  NO TALENT!!! NO STYLE!!!

Just my opinion and my choice!!  Y'all carry on and to each his own!!!

At one time it was "Country and Western". Now the "Western" part is gone. Serious, we have several so called "Country" FM stations, but its not Country, some of the lyrics make no sense, and music is worst. We finally went with Sirius so we could enjoy some of the real Country and Western music again. Its also a shame how they now dress at the award ceremony's. MT

It cracked me up a year or so ago when Taylor Swift announced she was switching from country to pop.  Of course, she was pop all along.  She knew the murderers on music row would play it and call it country.

1 hour ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

It cracked me up a year or so ago when Taylor Swift announced she was switching from country to pop.  Of course, she was pop all along.  She knew the murderers on music row would play it and call it country.

I knew her daddy when he first started the marketing campaign that made her what she is today. He came to he company that I worked for for transportation.  She was a cute fifteen year old, singing the national anthem in every minor league baseball park in the country and doing an intensive radio station interview campaign!

I won't deny she has some talent. She HAS grown into a good lookin' young woman. 

We called what she does "BUBBLE GUM" back in the days when I first started performing!  Think "THE  ARCHIES" and the Cowsils and The Partridge Family!!  :rolleyes:  <_< :lol: 

YOu guys are reminding me of the geezenslaw song. 

What I hear playing, I heard a long time ago. 

LA southern rock now don't ya know. 

You call it country, I call it bad rock and roll. 

You call it country, cuz he wears a cowboy hat

You call it country, don't like my country like that!

Ole hank sr, didn't need no lazor show

You call it country, I call it bad rock and roll. 

Can't remember any more of it off the top of my head, but it mentions that the possum wouldn't stand a chance on today's radio. 

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I knew her daddy when he first started the marketing campaign that made her what she is today. He came to he company that I worked for for transportation.  She was a cute fifteen year old, singing the national anthem in every minor league baseball park in the country and doing an intensive radio station interview campaign!

I won't deny she has some talent. She HAS grown into a good lookin' young woman. 

We called what she does "BUBBLE GUM" back in the days when I first started performing!  Think "THE  ARCHIES" and the Cowsils and The Partridge Family!!  :rolleyes:  <_< :lol: 

Oh, she can sing, and she is a beauty.  And I know you're right, it's all about marketing, which is why she started as "country."  I remember the bubble gum era well--but not fondly.  :)

I like all types of music. In my collection you will find country, classical of all types, blues, rock of all types, soundtracks, jazz, big band, brass, r&b and even some older hip hop (the dangers of going to an inner city high school!). The current country artists, such as Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line and others leave me unimpressed. Generally, the music is, at best weak pop, with a vocal performed with a twang. The singers think that if they can mention George Strait, Hank Williams or Merle Haggard somewhere in the song it will somehow make them legitimate. The bad thing is, the young listeners don't care. They accept the pablum they are fed and think it is great. They give up their money for the acts and producers keep making more of the same.

Rant off

I call it country music when I can understand the lyrics.

On 9/11/2017 at 7:04 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

More like 25 years or so, I blame Billy Ray Cyrus.

I blame Garth Brooks as much as anyone. Really liked his first 3 albums or so 'til he went to the other side. There's always George Strait! Long live the King!

JHC

The first country western song on the juke box in Cougar Den at the University of Houston was Jim Ed Brown's Pop a Top Again, 1967. Those of us in the U of H Rodeo Association had to fight to get any country western records on the juke box back then.  Hank Williams and Hank Jr. are true country western along with Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn and a few others.  Today's country music isn't really country western, it's more pop than country.

8 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I blame Garth Brooks as much as anyone. Really liked his first 3 albums or so 'til he went to the other side. There's always George Strait! Long live the King!

JHC

I agree.  I never understood how a guy who made music like "The Beaches of Cheyenne" and "Wild Horses" could start screaming and wagging his tongue like Gene Simmons and smashing guitars. 

Real today's country. Try Jamey Johnson or Chris Stapleton or Kentucky Headhunters or Eric Church or Dwight Yoakum or........

Archived