SASS Wire Forum

Why get a 1911 9mm over a Browning Hi-Power

Irish Pat

I have two 1911 45s and a custom Hi-power with Meggar 15 round magazines. Why would I want a 1911 9mm?  Mr. Browning's Hi-Power was built for 9mms and his 1911 was built for 45s. I thought  we could start some friendly discussion. Irish Pat

No reason to (IMO), except it's an excuse to buy another gun.

Maybe just to retain familiarity with the platform.

My only 9mm is a Hi-Power (currently loaded with that same 15-round mag).

LGS tried to sell me a 10-rounder for it (all he had in stock at the time)...I told him the reason it was called a HIGH POWER was because of the original 13-round mag capacity.

FWIW - I've been regularly carrying a .45acp 1911-A1 since getting my first one back in 1974.

The Hi -Power is Everything JMB Wished  the 1911 to be.

The 45acp 1911 is Everything the Hi -Power wishes it was !

Just sayin 

Rooster 

hammer bite, easy to cure with a bit of skateboard tape. I love the hp but find the 1911 a tiny bit easier to shoot. Best 1911 I wish I could have kept, series 70 lightweight commander 9mm.

I think there are some shooting games that favor the 1911 in 9mm.  IDPA comes to mind.  The Hi-Power has not been as successful as it could be in games that require quick magazine changes, at least that is what I have read.    

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:29 PM, Texas John Ringo, SASS #10138 said:

Hi-Power hammer bite. Don't like it. Sold one because of it.

Ring or spur hammer?

Mine is an Argentine "FM" with the ring hammer (actually my second one...first one somehow ended up in the possession of a LT in the Mexican Army.)

It eats anything I feed it...first one ate a steady diet of Syrian SMG ammo, but ran flawlessly with hand loaded JHPs and SWCs as well as any brand of FMJ I happened to acquire.

Modified with an ambidextrous safety and disabled magazine disconnect...much nicer trigger now.

5 minutes ago, Bart Solo said:

I think there are some shooting games that favor the 1911 in 9mm.  IDPA comes to mind.  The Hi-Power has not been as successful as it could be in games that require quick magazine changes, at least that is what I have read.    

With 13-15 in the 9mm vs 7-8 in the .45, the number of mag changes makes up for any perceived speed disadvantage (which, having shot both models for some time, is questionable anyway)

Tec-9 with multiple 36 round mags would negate the difference entirely (no longer in my possession, either).

:ph34r:

I was thinking about the magazine lock on the HP. The design of the gun makes it slower to change a magazine than other 9 MM pistols.  

Of course, that is only from the perspective of a game.  Real life heavily favors the HP over the 1911 in 9 MM.  I have to say though that I have been looking at a Colt 1911 in 9MM.  That is a new development because for years the magazines for the 1911 9 MM were horrible.  The 1911 was designed for the 45 ACP and the Hi-Power was designed for the 9MM.

36 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Ring or spur hammer?

Mine is an Argentine "FM" with the ring hammer (actually my second one...first one somehow ended up in the possession of a LT in the Mexican Army.)

It eats anything I feed it...first one ate a steady diet of Syrian SMG ammo, but ran flawlessly with hand loaded JHPs and SWCs as well as any brand of FMJ I happened to acquire.

Modified with an ambidextrous safety and disabled magazine safety...much nicer trigger now.

.40 Pratical, ambi safties. Hi vis sights. Ring hammer, shot great. If I had time to get the grip right everything was good, but in a hurry sometimes not so much.

Never could shoot my BHP as well as a 1911, in either 45ACP or 9mm.  And I've never found a BHP (even with the magazine disconnect removed) which had as good a trigger as a 1911.

'Course living in Kommiefornia the extra mag capacity of a Free State BHP doesn't help me, so capacity is a wash at 10 rounds max.

The Browning HP has been the Aussie Army sidearm since I joined in 85 (and well before). The HP Mk 3 is now the current one.

I have carried and used the Browning off and on my whole time in the Army (as a tanky we carried pistols rather than rifles that are difficult to stow and drag out all the time). I love em and reckon you cant stop them with a sledge hammer.

Browning_HiPower_MkIII_9mm_A.large.jpg

wm_8464183.jpgWhen we wanted something with a bit more range and more punch we carried one of these. That was until we got Steyr Carbines. Even with the F1 SMG and the Steyr we all carried Brownings in custom made shoulder and chest (the gunners preferred chest holsters as the tight space and how the gun controls worked made shoulder holsters uncomfortable) holsters

th.jpg

th (1).jpg

Both are excellent pistols.  I have three 1911's myself, 5 if you count my father's, 6 if you count the Commander in .38 Super, and 7 if you count the Spanish knockoff known as a Lamma.  

I only have 1 Hi-power, a Canadian Ingliss, comlete with the shoulderstock.   I am not really all that much of a fan of the 9mm, but I always wanted one of the Brownings. 

As to why would someone want a 1911 in 9mm, well, the only logical reason I can think of is that you like the 1911, and want one in that caliber.   The only reason I can think of for wanting one in THAT caliber is that you are in a position that requires you to be armed and mandates the 9mm, but allows for any pistol so chambered.  If you really prefer the 1911 to anything else, then one in 9mm would be the way to go.   I guess.

Personally, if not a .45, I'd much rather have one in .38 Super.

2 hours ago, Bart Solo said:

I was thinking about the magazine lock on the HP. The design of the gun makes it slower to change a magazine than other 9 MM pistols.  

Of course, that is only from the perspective of a game.  Real life heavily favors the HP over the 1911 in 9 MM.  I have to say though that I have been looking at a Colt 1911 in 9MM.  That is a new development because for years the magazines for the 1911 9 MM were horrible.  The 1911 was designed for the 45 ACP and the Hi-Power was designed for the 9MM.

There's no magazine lock. The civilian models have a magazine disconnect, so the pistol can't be fired with the mag removed. This item is very easy to remove and will lighten trigger pull a bit.

OLG

I know I used the word "lock" and it was wrong when I used it but I think the rules of IDPA don't let you disconnect the disconnect.  Anyway the Hi-Power has a problem with the magazine exchanges which has held it back in some shooting sports.  

Both excellent pistols. I favor the 1911 for the caliber.

5 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

I have two 1911 45s and a custom Hi-power with Meggar 15 round magazines. Why would I want a 1911 9mm?  Mr. Browning's Hi-Power was built for 9mms and his 1911 was built for 45s. I thought  we could start some friendly discussion. Irish Pat

My answer is real simple.  I WANT ONE!!!B)B)B)

Howdy,

According to one article the 1911 has been offered in 12 calibers. iirc.

Just shoot one in 9mm if ya don't like it sell it.

Best

CR

9 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

There are a number of reasons to favor either gun. 

I have both, and I like both.  The Browning HP is lighter than the 1911, and slimmer through the slide, which makes it easier to carry concealed.

It is a very strange gun if your a 1911 purist though.  The magazine disconnect adds pounds to the trigger, and can make magazine changes

anything but swift.  It has a trigger mechanism that involves two right angles, so getting a trigger pull under 7 pounds and clean is a nightmare.

My Mk III HP was worked by Cylinder and Slide to remove the mag safety, add a new trigger and sear, relocate the trigger pivot point, and clean the action.

It has a #4.5 trigger, and shoot beautifully with anything I've ever fed it.  I've a few 13 round mags. and a few 20 round mags for it, and it's a sheer

delight to carry.

I have several 1911's including the latest version in 9mm.  The heavier Colt makes the 9mm feel like a .22.  If I need to take a new shooter out and

teach them about shooting a serious fighting caliber, or how to shoot a serious fighting pistol, the steel 1911 in 9mm is a perfect pistol to teach with.

It's also a great gun to play IDPA or other gun games with: the ammo is cheap, the gun is easy to shoot, and it just feels right!  I just installed an

Ed Brown barrel and bushing in my Colt, and hopefully it will now shoot as well as my 1911 in .45 ACP. 

The 1911 platform is a great one, and many guns have been built on it, and it has served well in it's stock form as well.  The Browning HP is also a 

great platform, and some 60 armies world wide have counted on it over it's history.  Arguing about 'better' is silly - they're both damn fine

combat pistols out of the box, and both can be tuned by an artist to an unbelievable level.

I'd trust either one in stock form, and highly regard all of mine.

Just my $0.02 worth

Shadow Catcher

BUOmLpi.jpg

InMSYVc.jpg

In typical ARFCOM response - get both.

That's how I roll.

Actually, it was DeadEye Donna who asked, "shouldn't we have the same guns that take the same mags and ammo?"

So she has her own Hi-Power and her own custom built 1911.

The BHP is a very good gun.  I have enjoyed owning a couple of them.

Two features that the 1911 has that are better than the BHP, in my opinion, are overall width and the trigger.  The sliding trigger of the 1911 allows for quicker followup shots and more precision.  If you own both, a couple of dryfire shots with both will prove my point.

I don't believe you gain anything by having a 9mm Model 1911 vs a Browning Hi-Power (9mm).  The Hi-Power in my mind, is the definitive 9mm.  Designed by J Browning, the Hi-Power, is ergomically correct, as is Browning's Model 1911, .45acp.

20 hours ago, Bart Solo said:

I know I used the word "lock" and it was wrong when I used it but I think the rules of IDPA don't let you disconnect the disconnect.  Anyway the Hi-Power has a problem with the magazine exchanges which has held it back in some shooting sports.  

Never had any issue with mine with mag changes.

What is this issue you speak of?

OLG

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Never had any issue with mine with mag changes.

What is this issue you speak of?

OLG

Here is what a guy named Duane Thomas said on the ENOS forum a few years ago. 

"The Browning Hi-Power is a great gun. Its biggest problems in IDPA are that (1) yanking the magazine disconector is illegal, and leaving it intact can interfere with mag drop during a reload; (2) the mag well opening is very squared-off, and the top of the magazine very blocky as well. Even with a mag well bevel applied, the Hi-Power is not the easiest gun in the world to reload fast."

Personally I don't have a Browning Hi-Power (I shoot a cz Tactical Sport in USPSA Limited and an Glock 35 in IDPA) but apparently Mr. Thomas thought it was an issue. I have heard others discuss it. 

Hi-Power mags are almost exactly the same shape as CZ mags, so that can't

be the problem. The disconnector barely touches the mag, as far as I can see in my one HP that still has it, and the mags come out easily, so I don't see it. But then I don't compete with them. I have 2- HP's and 3- 911's, and the HP feels better in teh hand to me but I tend to hit better with the 1911's.

As a subaltern I was issued a High Power and carried one on a few field exercises and as part of my kit.

I have two 1911's and one HP but I must say \I prefer my 1911's

If you are talking about competition [USPSA]  among the top shooters you will not find any BHP.   I have been shooting uspsa since 1986 and saw a few people send BHPs off for a lot of expensive work and non were competitive.  Many 1911s had work also and most people kept using them with success.  My 1911 [2011] holds 22 rds.  Bullett 19707

9 hours ago, Bart Solo said:

Here is what a guy named Duane Thomas said on the ENOS forum a few years ago. 

"The Browning Hi-Power is a great gun. Its biggest problems in IDPA are that (1) yanking the magazine disconector is illegal, and leaving it intact can interfere with mag drop during a reload; (2) the mag well opening is very squared-off, and the top of the magazine very blocky as well. Even with a mag well bevel applied, the Hi-Power is not the easiest gun in the world to reload fast."

Personally I don't have a Browning Hi-Power (I shoot a cz Tactical Sport in USPSA Limited and an Glock 35 in IDPA) but apparently Mr. Thomas thought it was an issue. I have heard others discuss it. 

I used one from('B' class 'stock') time to time in  comp. with SWPL. never did I find that issue.:huh:

You can reduce the mag disconnect spring tension to where a mag will drop free but the gun won't fire with the mag removed.

OLG

I will give the 1911 credit for accuracy over the HP though, at least until I get a match barrel installed in my HP, and that's coming soon!

The 1911 in 9mm is on the left, the one on the right is in .45

After installing an Ed Brown Match barrel I got it to shoot like this at 15 + yards with 147 gr practice ammo.

Not bad for a shakey handed oldster!

I'm going to adjust the sights a bit and call it good!

The Hi Power is fixing to get a KKM barrel installed in a few weeks.

I'd like it to be as accurate as this, or my Kahr, which also shoots one hole groups at 15 yds.

For S&G's I weighted both guns fully topped off: the HP came in at 38 oz with 14 rds 147 HST,

the 1911 came in at 44 oz with 11 rds 147 HST. 

SC

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1485.JPG

Archived