SASS Wire Forum

Fast Guns of Hollywood

Sawhorse Kid

I have also heard Glenn Ford as the fastest.

In the 1946 'Gilda' Mr. Ford is very in smacking a baddie before he can react.

He also wore a sidegun like he could use it.

I do not know who did the sidegun handling for Duke Wayne in the Singin' Sammie movies, but was very fast.

Marshal Matt Dillon !

Terence Hill was pretty fast on spaghetti westerns.

Hopefully J-Bar will chime in and share a video of James Garner twirling his revolver on Maverick!

I deleted that one a long time ago! I'll see if I can resurrect it somehow. If the thread is still going In a couple of days, there's a chance.

Little Joe Cartwright was pritty darn fast :-)

If not the fastest ?

Defeinitely the fastest left handed quick draw :-)

Little Joe Cartwright was pritty darn fast :-)

If not the fastest ?

Defeinitely the fastest left handed quick draw :-)

Yeah. I've seen Michael Landon's work. He was very good.

OK, this one is for Abilene Slim. I'll leave it up until the thread dies.

James Garner as Bret Maverick schools some of the West's worst in gun handling.

Trivia: The little guy on the right, playing Billy the Kid in this episode, is Joel Grey, actor and dancer and father of Jennifer Grey, who was in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Dirty Dancing. and winner of the 2010 Dancing with the Stars.

Val Kilmer could spin also, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i788oxI27sY

Sammy Davis Jr. was in a couple westerns, if I remember correctly.

And, he played the part of a 'fast gun'.

He was in atleast 1 episode of The Rifleman.

And I think he was in 1 episode of another western, maybe Bonanza.

AND, He might have been in an episode of The Wild Wild West.

..........Widder

Sammy Davis Jr and Ernest Borgnine were in a western called, "The Trackers" in the early 70's. Davis played deputy US Marshal. As I recall, it was a pretty good movie, too.

Bob Munden said that Jerry Lewis was, in fact, the fastest celebrity with a sixgun. Strange what talents some celebrities possess that you don't usually hear about.

My dad said that he saw Jerry demonstrate his skill with a handgun back in the late '50s and that it was stunning how fast he was.

I'm curious...

How fast is considered 'fast'?

And are some of these 'fast draw' folks using special pistols/holsters, etc....

There are some mighty fast Cowboys that we shoot with sometimes that are using SASS legal style holsters with standard hammers and they can run some mighty fast times using non-special equipment.

..........Widder

I think the criteria is, (or was) hand off of gun, gun holstered, hammer down, draw cock and fire one round. Not sure a target was actually involved, but likely it was. Back in those days, most pistols weren't all that jazzed up, but they also fanned the hammer.

Glen Ford had a draw and fire technique that involved thumbing back the hammer as he drew and firing one round as the gun came level, pulling the gun in a tight radius over the back of the holster. Then as he held the trigger pulled, he would shove the gun forward dragging the hammer back along his hip, usually on his belt, the gun would fire a second time. Still moving the pistol forward, he'd fan off a third shot.

I've seen this trick performed sucessfully, but I'd never try it and I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do it either!!!

I had never heard of Thell Reed until this thread. The link below is of his appearance on Ed Sullivan in 1966

http://www.gunfightergulch.com/videos/thell-reed-ed-sullivan-show-1966

The next video is a fun montage of actors he's taught and some of their scenes.

As I recall from the old days, the story goes that Hugh O'Brian (Wyatt Earp on TV) loved quick-draw competition and drew against most of the TV and movie cowboy actors at the time, and beat almost all of them. He desperately wanted to draw against Audie Murphy, but Murphy wouldn't do it. O'Brien pestered Murphy about it for a long time until Murphy had enough. Murphy (The most decorated soldier of WWII and had severe PTSD) called O'Brian and said he'd draw against him anytime, but only face-to-face with live ammunition! The contest never took place.

The O'Meara Himself

I found this image in one of my books. Warner Brothers TV cowboy stars publicity still for fast draw.

Note Peter Brown (2nd from left) has drawn too quickly and shot himself in the leg. Glad they used blanks!

Warner Brothers’ star stable (from left): Will “Sugarfoot” Hutchins, Peter “Lawman” Brown, Jack “Maverick” Kelly, Ty “Bronco” Hardin, James “Maverick” Garner, Wade “Colt .45” Preston and John “Lawman” Russell.

img003.jpg

I had never heard of Thell Reed until this thread. The link below is of his appearance on Ed Sullivan in 1966

http://www.gunfightergulch.com/videos/thell-reed-ed-sullivan-show-1966

The next video is a fun montage of actors he's taught and some of their scenes.

I first learned of Reed from Elmer Keith's report on him in Guns and Ammo way back in the sixties. Elmer was pretty impressed by the fact he not only was really fast but could hit whatever target was presented. Thell and Elmer

Bob Munden said the Jerry Lewis was, in fact, the fastest celebrity with a sixgun. Strange what talents some celebrities possess that you don't usually hear about.

My dad said that he saw Jerry demonstrate his skill with a handgun back in the late '50s and that it was stunning how fast he was.

I know it's not what you're looking for but Bradley Cooper during the shooting of A-Team set the record for fastest reload on camera. He did this while hanging off of the side of a moving truck by a rope. Sad part is, it was cut from the movie as it was too fast. He still holds the record.

Sammy Davis Jr

and The Rifleman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddFqDq8LyKI

Sammy didn't really do that trick. It was done by Rod Redwing. He was another Hollywierd gun coach, just not as famous as Arvo Ohalla.

The Glen Ford trick mentioned a few posts ago was one of his, too. He taught a lot of them that.

Archived