SASS Wire Forum

I'm old. It sucks.

Alpo

I've joked about being old, often. Told people I earned each gray hair and wrinkle. When asked my age I normally say 107.

When I was a young man, and I would meet someone, I would shake their hand with a firm, manly grip, because this was how I was taught (and anyway, no one likes a "dead fish" handshake).

Ten years or so back i noticed that, more and more, the people I met were older and they gave me the dead-fish. They did not squeeze, but their hand would just lie there in mine. Many times I would not get their entire hand, but just their fingers.

It occurred to me that OLD PEOPLE most probably had arthritis in their hands, and a FIRM MANLY GRIP was probably painful to them. I changed my handshake. Now I grip, but no longer squeeze FIRMLY.

A week or so ago I noticed that my right index finger, at the joint where it attaches to the hand, was paining me. Many years ago I dislocated it, and the dull pain when it was put back is about what it feels like now. But since I still have a full range of motion, I don't believe it is again dislocated I've decided I have probably grown an arthritic spur in the joint. Ah well.

Couple of days ago i was taking Worthless for a walk. Ran into the young man down the street. His father is about ten years older than me, so I suspect he is about ten or fifteen years younger than me. He always calls me SIR, and always shakes my hand, politely. The other day he shook my hand, as always, with a firm, manly grip. Hurt like a mother f It was painful.

When i was a wee little child, the milkman came around the neighborhood, bring milk to people's houses, in glass bottles. We didn't get it - we got ours from the Commissary, and it came in paper cartons - but I saw him. These glass bottles were closed by paper stoppers, that you had to pick out with your finger.

Some years back, when they started putting milk in plastic jugs, they came up with this plastic cap, that when you opened it, it separated into two pieces. It would still screw on the jug but it was obvious that the jug had been opened. I suppose this came about from the jerk that put poison in the Tylenol. Anyway, I've noticed over the last couple of years, that there is an additional security system. There is a paper cap (just like on the old glass bottles) that is glued to the mouth of the jug, underneath the plastic cap. You have to unscrew the cap, and then pull/pry the paper plug loose from the mouth, before you can get any milk.

This morning I opened a new bottle of milk. I was unable to apply enough pressure, between my thumb and my (sore) index finger to hold onto the tab and pull the damn paper cap off, and had to resort to a pair of needle-nose pliers.

That's when I realized that I was officially old. I expect that I am going to have to go ask the boy next door to open jar of pickles for me, within the next week or two.

Damn.

Besides the transient pains, there is the slowing. I know I can shoot faster, but my body sez uh uh. :(

Best course of action is to continue getting older.

Agreed. But a trip to the sawbones might be in order. If the pain has come on that quickly there might be another cause than just old age experience.

That's your second childhood coming on. All the little injuries you ignored or brushed off when you were immortal and unbreakable, say between about 13. and 33, are now coming back to remind you of all the good times you had, let you relive the experiences.

I've also gone through the handshake thing. When I was working, after shaking hands with a manly colonel, I winced and said, "Colonel, when shaking hands with an old retired warrant officer, think 'arthritis.' I hope you never experience it." I learned to use a considerate handshake as a younger man at church. It doesn't have to be a 'dead fish' grip, but certainly not a "vice" grip like the Colonel's.

About shaking hands to great or part with someone or reach an agreement - usually a man whom you know. It's in my habit to shake another man's hand and sometimes a woman's hand. (We were taught the rudiments of manners when I was a grade school. A man is not to force his hand on a lady. He is to wait until he offers it.) I'm finding men under 40 are somewhat taken by surprise when I extend my hand.

We recently sold a small bit of land to a neighbor that made his lot complete. He questioned if we needed to see a lawyer or go through a real estate dealer. I explained that there was no need as there was no leans or other parties involved. We agreed on peice and I shook his hand and told him that's how men close a deal. I'm sure he thought that was old fashioned but seemed to enjoy the ritual.

As for age, I'll be 65 tomorrow. I tend to work about 30 minutes and rest for 30 minutes. My biggest problem is getting sleep at night. My old bones hurt the worst when I'm laying down.

ALPO,

I don't know how old you are, but when those glass milk containers had those little cardboard/aluminum pull off pieces that sealed the milk jug between the lid and the milk, you forgot to mention the importance of SHAKING the jug before drinking the milk..... unless of course you liked just the cream on top.

I remember those good ole days also.

..........Widder

I'm hearing you , Alpo. Some of the safety seals on stuff now days take some doing to get off. And I don't want to get started on "blister packs". Getting old ain't for sissies , never has been. I just past my most recent anniversary Tuesday , brings the total to 73.

Hang tough , Rex :D

P.S. Hey Widder , one of the things I liked about those old milk jugs , and pop bottles , was that deposit refund an enterprising youngster could put jingle in his pocket with. :P

I am also getting up there.In the past few days my right index finger has been really giving me pain.A guy at work mentioned something called TRIGGER FINGER.So I looked it up.YEP. Sure sounds like it.Check it out..

Largo

I tell people I was born in 1850 instead of 1950. I was born at home in a log house with no electricity or running water - unless you count the spring hear the house. The road was no more than a trail through the woods. They brought the doctor to our house in a farm wagon pulled by mules. He staid overnight and charged $20. But we were ahead of the curve on one thing, we eat organically grown food.

The glass milk bottles were delivered to a little insulated aluminum shelled box kept on the porch. Empty bottles, for return, for the milk man to take to the dairy went in there the night before. Bottles were washed, sanitized, and refilled. Who took credit for the 80's recycling movement............ :blush:

I wasn't far behind ya Warden.

We had an ice box. The ice man would deliver something like a 9" or so square block of ice a couple times a week for Moma to put in the Ice Box to help keep stuff 'cool'.

Our washer was a scrub board and ringer. Mom would rinse the cloths and run em thru two rollers to squeeze out the excess water to help them dry faster.

At the local grocery store, cold drinks like Pepsi, Coke and RC were kept in a cooler filled about 8" deep with cool water. Man, I sure miss those days cause my childhood is filled with such fond memories, especially compared to things today.

We (Dad, Mom and 5 kids) didn't have much. One of the biggest things we played with were those mexican jumping beans..... you know, the bean that had a little worm inside that would crawl around and make the bean move automatically. We were astonished because we didn't know about the worm inside.

And Tarzan, Rama of the Jungle, along with the Amos & Andy show, were our favorite shows on TV. Remember Fleetwood Algonquin J. Calhoun III (the 3rd)?

..........Widder

I just passed the 73 year mark and have found over the last four or five years almost everything that still works is either nearly numb or hurts. Lost a lot of control and feeling in my right hand and elbow.

I've quit shooting or fear if the hand fails at the wrong time someone will suffer for it.

Life is what you make of it, Alpo. Getting old is just another passageway that needs to be traveled.

I do agree that the younger generation of packaging "experts" are out to dew us older folks in.

I often question how a little old lady, living alone, can open some of the jars and "re-sealable" packages.

I have trouble with them myself. I know my wife could not do it. I think that is the only reason I am alive

today.

Maybe the plan is to starve all of us old folks out and make room for the next generation.

I was told that "Old Age" is a state of mind. My old age is more like a state of disrepair.

For some reason mom couldn't breastfeed me. Dad bought a refrigerator that ran on gas. Dad went to the bank to borrow $300 to buy the refrigerator. The banker made him bring back the receipt and change of $2 and something. $300 in 1950 would probably buy a new Chevy. I'm sure it was a year's pay for dad.

I aint as advanced as some of you cobs, but by Ned, Im gonna keep a steady strain on it as long as I can hold on! Remember, The paint may be faded, but the engine still runs good!

I just saw an "antique car" plate on a Toyota Camry for cryin' out loud.

Talk about making a person feel old!

I be 47 in a week or so. All the fun and stupid of my past is already haunting me. You 'older' guys is startin ta scare me! Arthritis sucks!

We (Dad, Mom and 5 kids) didn't have much. One of the biggest things we played with were those mexican jumping beans..... you know, the bean that had a little worm inside that would crawl around and make the bean move automatically. We were astonished because we didn't know about the worm inside.

..........Widder

Looxury! Us five kids had to fight over the bean for dinner; the lucky one got the worm, the rest split the bean! It wasn't play, it was serious business.....

Getting' older yea, but "growin' up"?? Now that's another thing! I still work with my hands ( I tune pianos) I have one'of them hand grip thingys in my car and I use it quite frequently. That helps but then so does ALEVE!!! :D

Rye (1947)

Old age is when every lid leaps from your grasp to the floor and escapes all attempts to corral it. To compound matters it is further and further to the floor.

No further to the floor but if you end up on it, it's a heck of a lot further back up!!

Archived