SASS Wire Forum

lever guns in westerns (tv and movies)

Bugler

Other than Rawhide what westerns showed Marlins in them? On Rawhide you would also see an occasional '73.......Bonanza and many others crack me up with "92 Winchester with the handguard removed....

None of the actors/actress are able to lever the gun without taking from their shoulder first.....I know...."It only a movie".......just some things that crack me up.

What amuses YOU, fellow forum members? This can cover other topics other than lever guns...

Bugler

Saddles and other horse gear of modern day design. This was very prevalent in westerns of the 30s, 40s, 50s ad 60s. Some of the more recent western with
Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot and others have done a good job of fixing that. -- GIT

Saddles underneath the blankets of horses ridden by Indians. :lol:

Cracks me up. You can even see the outline of the saddlehorn.

Not a gun issue but I see so many of those I have to look elsewhere for amusement.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Howdy,

Now folks, ya know when those movies were made they were lucky to have guns that worked.

They weren't making documentaries.

They figured the movies would go around, make some money and die.

Never did they think about home theater, freeze frames etc.

I just know John Wayne won the civil war with a 1892 winchester.

I have the movies to prove it.

Best

CR

Red River with John Wayne. Cattle drive takes place in 1865. All are using 73 SAA's, 75 Remingtons and 92 Winchesters. Must have been prototypes.

"The Comancheros" is even worse.

It takes place 1843. The only correct period firearms used were the dueling pistols used in the opening scene.

The TV show The Big Valley used almost all Marlin rifles. Hambone

they had guns in "The Big Valley"? I never got past Audra :wub:

they had guns in "The Big Valley"? I never got past Audra :wub:

Audra had a great pair of guns... :lol:

I noted the revolvers used in some episodes didn't have a firing pin on the hammer.

Not sure if those would have been Great Western or Weirauch made.

Howdy,

Now folks, ya know when those movies were made they were lucky to have guns that worked.

They weren't making documentaries.

They figured the movies would go around, make some money and die.

Never did they think about home theater, freeze frames etc.

I just know John Wayne won the civil war with a 1892 winchester.

I have the movies to prove it.

Best

CR

Seems like JW used a '92 in every movie regardless of time frame. :lol:

Besides the un-invented firearms, the female stars hairdo's always get me. It's always whatever year the movie was made latest style.

Seems like JW used a '92 in every movie regardless of time frame. :lol:

Besides the un-invented firearms, the female stars hairdo's always get me. It's always whatever year the movie was made latest style.

I think someone once said that John Wayne would have used a 92, even if he stared in Winchester 1873

Howdy

I suspect the reason for the prevalence of Winchester 1892 rifles in old Western movies probably relates to how cheap and easy they were to buy at the time. I suspect the old movie studios owned huge inventories of 1892s. Back in those days, a lot of the movie companies did not rent guns from suppliers, many of them owned large stock piles of old weapons.

In The Scalphunters, which is supposed to take place before the emancipation of the slaves, Burt Lancaster carries a 'Hollywood Henry', a Winchester Model 1892 with the fore stock removed so it bore some resemblance to a Henry. I clearly recall seeing another Hollywood Henry in the shooting match scene in Winchester '73. And when Steve proudly proclaims he is holding a Henry, it is clearly a '73.

But in The Man From Laramie, it is clearly a real Henry in the hands of Aline MacMahon (Kate Canady). And I'm pretty sure is a real Henry that Jeff Corey is carrying in the original True Grit.

400px-TrueGritHenryrifle-1_zpsxwcy0oo8.j

Don't forget that on "Bonanza" none of the gun belts had cartridge loops. It was pre-Civil War, ya'know. Of course we will not mention the pistols they used were 1873 colts....

I have seen a photo of Little Joe with a Marlin.

Fillmore

I like all the 12 and 18 round 6-shooters in the old black and whites! :P:D

Not a B&W, but my personal record is 24 in a '60s TV show about Custer, starring a cat named Wayne Maunder (funny I can remember his name but not the series*).

*Per IMDB, The Legend of Custer (1968)

Also had Slim Pickens as California Joe Milner!

What amuses me has already been touched on, Hollywood took the idea of "Load on Sunday and shoot all week" to the next level. I have rarely seen any gun be reloaded in a tv or movie from back in the heyday of westerns. They just keep launching bullets hahaha.

The studios must have also owned a lot of Remington revolvers, New Armies and 1875s. Look closely... You will see a lot of webs under those barrels.

Paul Newman using a double action revolver in the final showdown in "Hombre" is a sacrilege.

I have a dvd that was part of a set that I bought at EOT many years back. Iirc it was the year buck Taylor was the celebrity. It was on movie guns. All the muzzle loaders had a pipe barrel with a old mouser action shooting blanks. Yeah it wasn't until select did that trio of movies that he had the power to get thing accuractly done. Saddle with a Cheyenne roll are of modern design and most saddles in movies use those. He also tried for unique firearms in his movies other than the 73, SAA, and 92. I wasn't impressed with the new long ranger movie so I've not noticed the gun or trappings in it. Anther thing that gets me while watching Death Valley days on the western channel is the locations where they shot some of the episodes. Like shooting Az scenes in Utah. We all know that they had old Tucson that they could use but the used a set in Utah instead.

Edited.

I get in trouble with the classic cowboy enthusiastic crowd when they require Hollywood cowboy stuff over the true cowboy way. A working cowboy barely had a pistol and and rifle, they wore chaps and Spurs but carried pocket knifes instead of sheath knives since the were carried in a pocket and wouldn't get caught on something or get in the way while working. To a working cowboy it was a minimunist way of life. They carried the cook gear in a bag not in the saddlebags. The saddles bags carried a spare horse shoe and nails and athe tools to change it. Also a sheath knife might be carried in the saddle bags maybe a spare shirt some hard tack and dried beans. But they preferred a cross draw holster as it was out of the way when working on horseback. On the right side it would interfere with the work. If on foot they would hang their gun belt off the saddle horn or if they were riding fence and repairing a section they would hang it off a post. Think about how much a pia the gun belt is to wear now. Ours are better made but you can't sit in a chair with arms with it on, the reason bascadero belts were used for movies the actors had trouble sitting when they were on break at the cantina on the set. Conveniece was the reason modern items were designed and why used in the hay day of westerns.

Billy the Kid, John Wesley Hardin and Doc Holliday were all known to caryy Colt Moeel 1877 or 1878 double action pistols. Most cowboys carried cheap belt guns for snakes and some level of personal defense. They could rarely afford Colt's.

The only Colt Lightning Pump Rifle that I have seen in a movie or TV was the bank guard in For a Few Dollars More, but these guns show up in photos and musuems of the west.

The 1892 haw a strong lockup than the 1873. The five-in-one blanks used in Hollywood have quite A blast. If I had a valuable actor and a costly movie, I would have likely gone to the 92 instead of the 73 To save dollars and actors.

What brand is the pump shotgun in "3:10 to Yuma"?

...The only Colt Lightning Pump Rifle that I have seen in a movie or TV was the bank guard in For a Few Dollars More, but these guns show up in photos and musuems of the west....

Van Cleef had a Lightning on his Horse pack - when he unrolled it you could see it plain as day. same movie.

Let's not forget Josh Randall's cut down 92 that takes 45-70's!! :P

My biggest gripe these days is with the hats! Seems like the movies go to at least a little trouble to look authentic, but then top the actors with modern hats that look like they came out of a Toby Keith or Jason Aldean music video.

Archived