SASS Wire Forum

Question about a "Taps" and engaging targets

Kid Drover

If a scenario calls for "No Triple Taps", and a shooter shoots the target 4 times, is there a SASS Legal Triple Tap within the Quad-Tap? Please, keep the instructions to the simplest wording, "No Triple Taps". I guess, another way of asking this question is there a single tap within a double tap, a double tap within a triple, and so on?

KCD

Is a 5 or 10 shot "dump" a double tap, triple tap, or quad tap? Don't think so. I think that one should be spelled out don't shoot more than x times per target in a row.

Is this going to be an annual event?

A 5-shot "dump" would be two "2½ taps"

...a 10-shot dump would be four of them...or a "double/double" + a "double/triple"

or a "double/quad" + a "double"

^_^

You can NOT get to a "quad tap" without hitting a "triple tap" on the way there.

<_<

REF: RO3 p. 2¼

Posse UP.

Shooters on the right, lawyers on the left.

Stage writers now need a degree in dumbing down, common sense.

Been playing this game for almost 20 years and have never had anyone ask this question.

Is this going to be an annual event?

A 5-shot "dump" would be two 1½ "double taps"...a 10-shot dump would be four of them.

^_^

You can NOT get to a "quad tap" without hitting a "triple tap" on the way there.

<_<

REF: RO3 p. 2¼

PLUS 1

Unless you're doing a fibonacci sweep then it's 1,1 2,3,5,8,13 etc. :D

Fibonacci? Isn't she that Italian showgirl? Last I heard she was dancing in Reno.

If a scenario calls for "No Triple Taps", and a shooter shoots the target 4 times, is there a SASS Legal Triple Tap within the Quad-Tap? Please, keep the instructions to the simplest wording, "No Triple Taps". I guess, another way of asking this question is there a single tap within a double tap, a double tap within a triple, and so on?

KCD

Yes.........When there is only ONE TARGET :P

or........2 hits, miss, 2 hits, miss, 2 hits, miss, 1 hit

BUT................ BUT......................BUT.......................BUT.....................IF

Unless we are talking quantum mechanics where the target might be in more than one state at any given time. In that situation you MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be able to bypass 3 taps and go straight to 4.

Ah, now we are debating logic that I can understand. ;-)

First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe

Ya know if you get a speeding ticket - you get cited for (example) 65 in a 55.

You do not get cited for

56 in a 55 and

57 in a 55 and

58 in a 65 and

59 in a 65 and so on and so forth.

The officer only cites you for the end result.

Once you has passed the previous point - Anything you did at the point previous is immaterial.

That is also the reason speed limit signs give you a maximum allowed speed instead of forbidding you to drive 58 mph.

Because when you forbid a certain number - any other number is fair game.

The HOA in my neighborhood states that there are certain colors that my house cannot be painted.

Among them are gray scale colors.

But when we repainted, our stucco sealer and primer was gray.

Our next coat was off white. Should they have fined (penalized) me?

Because at some arbitrary point - my paint was in violation of their rules.

Or should they let me correct the violation and wait until I have completed my actions?

Or you can look at it by our own rules - it is illegal to put a gun down with a casing in the action.

The "moment" you do so - you have earned a penalty...

But you may erase the penalty by changing the condition of the gun.

We accept this.

We ALL know the casing was there i.e. action that is deserving of a penalty - but we allow the shooter to modify the act and "POOF" it never happened.

The shooter simply followed the same logic.

The moment the shooter struck the target 3x - he had earned his penalty.

The moment he struck the target a fourth time "POOF" the triple tap was erased from existence.

A quad tap now exists.

If the Stage writer had said "Engage the targets - no target may be struck more than 2x in a row" Different argument.

But he didn't - he expressly forbade ONE action.

Debates are fun. :D I figured I better put a smiley in there before folks take me too seriously.

You can "make the gun safe" by removing the offending empty case/hull...this changes the condition of the firearm even though, on the way to being "made safe" it was in violation of the rules at some point in the example given.

Firing a fourth shot after the initial "triple tap" doesn't change the fact that three shots were fired in a row contrary to the stage instructions.

Otherwise the argument for a "double/double tap" could also be used...which will still result in a "P".

I know let's just do away with all double etc taps. I do not like double taps at all anyway. Hate triple taps and quad taps are just downright despicable. Dump targets are a shame and a sin. Once I hit the target once it's time to go on to another because that one is dead. It confounds me that stage writers seem so enamored of multiple shots in succession on the SAME target. Overkill. Just say no...

You can "make the gun safe" by removing the offending empty case/hull...this changes the condition of the firearm even though, on the way to being "made safe" it was in violation of the rules at some point in the example given.

Firing a fourth shot after the initial "triple tap" doesn't change the fact that three shots were fired in a row contrary to the stage instructions.

Otherwise the argument for a "double/double tap" could also be used...which will still result in a "P".

Oh, don't be that way PWB.

Half the fun on the Wire is playing devils advocate.

I know let's just do away with all double etc taps. I do not like double taps at all anyway. Hate triple taps and quad taps are just downright despicable. Dump targets are a shame and a sin. Once I hit the target once it's time to go on to another because that one is dead. It confounds me that stage writers seem so enamored of multiple shots in succession on the SAME target. Overkill. Just say no...

Us stage writers so enamored of making multiple use of the same piece of steel are usually the ones who have to set the steel.

One target one round gets REALLY old - REALLY quick when you're pulling the steel or putting away the steel in 110 degree heat.

And since our steel is not alive - the "that one is dead" argument is not really valid.

Perhaps - you are battling a wild savage all hopped up on the firewater and smoking the cactus root peace pipe?

Maybe the steel plate renegades are just a bit more durable in your stage writers imagination and might just need an extra shot

(or nine) to stop their charge?

Hear ye ................. Hear ye .................

The SASS Wire court is now is session..........

Judge Ace of Heart presiding............

You all may be seated..................

Us stage writers so enamored of making multiple use of the same piece of steel are usually the ones who have to set the steel.

One target one round gets REALLY old - REALLY quick when you're pulling the steel or putting away the steel in 110 degree heat.

+1

And, yal'll thought the summer wire was slow compared to the winter wire! :P To those who feel the answer is total obvious to the question, and not an arbIrtrary decision, I ask the following questions (let me say this first: I have no problems with any of the following rules. I follow them as close as my human frailness allows. I don't even disagree with them. I do however believe they are not all based on logic and some decisions are made arbirtrarily in an attempt to increase the safety of our sport): 1. Is an open long gun (a gun not in battery) with an empty case on the carry ever going to hurtle a projectile down range causing an injury? Yet, there is a penalty for such a condition. 2. Is there a definition of "closed action" written in the rules of SASS, and/or has the definition of what a "closed action" is been discussed and argued on the wire? Shouldn't the word "closed" be obivious enough as to leave no room for discussion 3. Can a double barrel shotgun which has been shot twice during a shooting sequence be in anyway dangerous? 4. Has there been a discussion about whether a shooter should be penalized for leaving a long gun closed based on whether it was on purpose or left closed accidently? And, who determines the shooters intent?

So, my conclusion to this thread. Happy Summer!, Cowpokes, The Summer Wire is Alive and Well!!! And, all decisions are not logical, so, there are decisions to be made, and as we all know Pale Wolf makes 'em. :D And, we follow 'em.

Yours Respectfully,

KCD

The instant they shoot the same target the 3rd time. They have the P. Before the next round can even be fired

they have already earned it. No taking it back after. By hitting it again does not change the fact that the P is

already in the books.

Archived