SASS Wire Forum

So how come....

Chicago Steeley SASS 26520

I love Cowboy shooting.... But getting into Wild West Shows has been the pinnacle of Cowboy fer me. Its where I live my fantasies from every Western I ever seen!!!!

I chose Outlaw. Last weekend I had 500 people cheer when I was killed! That really makes ya feel good.

Black powder blanks... 120 g of BP in the Shotgun. Smoke, fire out the barrel, bank robberies... Its a ball.

Why is my group struggling? Why dont CAS people stand in line for this kind of fun?

Can ya tell me?

Heres a pic and a film from shows recent.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x406/1chicagosteeley9/Lowellshotgun10911.jpg

http://www.colescountyregulators.com/index_files/Page428.html

Why dont CAS people stand in line for this kind of fun?

Can ya tell me?

Just taking a wild guess, maybe because we get to shoot real bullets?

Since when do SASS folks not like Re-enactments :huh: I like Re-enactments, he likes Re-enactments, she likes Re-enactments, h@!! we all like it :D I'm sure it would be fun. However alot of us only have so much spare time, most of that time is gonna be spent sending lead down range ringing some steel. But if I had the time a place I'd do it. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Participated in a couple of Reenactments with a local club for a event at a local fair. They weren't invited back because too many people complained that the noise and violence scared their kids!! <_<

Plus the liability in case some citizen got hurt!!

Steely-

I don't quite understand what the problem is, or if it really is a problem. I personally enjoy watching re-enactors doing their thing. While I'm not a re-enactor, I have been killed in the street in front of the Irma Hotel in Cody, Wyoming by non other than Calamity Jane - Twice! (The Cody Gunfighters were short-handed and desperate). It was a hoot and a half.

I think the only problem I personally have with re-enactors... and I realize I'm painting with a mighty big brush...is that they seem to have a problem getting out of character once the show is over. It gets to be a drag to deal with. JMHO

Like most things, there probably isn't just one answer to your question, but a list of several. However, that being said I would guess more folks participate in CAS primarily because it is a competition and secondarily because of costuming/fantasy versus those that have a primary focus of playing cowboy.

Could you give a more specific definition of what you consider reenacting please? I am a reenactor from several different time periods from Golden Age of Pyracy to French & Indian war, to colonial frontier farmer/hunter to revolutionary war to late 18th century Indian wars to fur-trade to westward expansion to MO-KS Border war to Civil War, I do living history presentations and life-skills demonstrations and have participated in dozens of battle reenactments and skirmishes since 1988.

What is your definition of a reenactment so I can offer an honest and thoughtful response please. If it means a generic shoot-out, or an actual re-creation of an historical gun fight or bank robbery makes a difference how folks view the participation.

Thanks in advance.

Bodine

The supplied Clip shows why ,,,,,,,,,,, hocky scripts and really poor acting ....

I need not say more ....

Jabez Cowboy

Nothing against re-enactors, I work with a couple of Civil War guys. But as others have said, I like to shoot real bullets when I "play"...

Heard a kid in the background who was young but old enough to know better ask his mom if it was real. Thats pretty sad, when I was a kid I sure as heck knew the difference. But then again my mom didn't keep me in a protective bubble.

Hey Steely,

Just cause your a big ham doesn't mean the rest of us is not a bit porky too! :lol: I shot with ya too many times not to know you were born to be an actor. Heck, you even like to act like you know what you are doing at the firing line. :lol: I know Thunder Valley has saddly "rode off into the sunset", but you and Redneck Rebel could hook up sometime and get's ya'lls porky b#$#s down to Knob Creek sometime. :lol: and, don't forget to bring your better half, don't leave her in Chicago.

Watch your top knot,

Knob Creek Drover

Well, I am recruiting for the Indiana, Illinois area. Heres where we get our insurance and shooting protocols. http://www.wheelerandjobin.com/clients/afrg/

Maybe we are bad actors with lousy skits but we have people at Buckley Homesdtead in Lowell, In. where we been going to for the past 10 years that come every time to see us.

Best is not much talking, be funny or ridiculous and shoot a lot. Our motto is: "It coulda happened in the Old West, Mebbe?"

Ya, I got killed in one and there was a kid that was disappointed when I came back to life. And I didnt even know the kid!

Ya, I know this aint for everone, but with Zeb dying on us the group has shrunk down to 10. We just got 2 newbies but the lost more to old age and sickness.

Anyway, just thought I pop off here. I think the shows are a gas and its nice talking with y'all. Steeley

Ya, we missed Kmob Creek this year..... Matter of fact I aint touched my CAS guns this year.....

Deb and I will positivley make it on down ASAP because Knob Creek is the best show in town!

Most groups I have watched were poor actors, poor stunt folks, and provided a lot of false info. Notice I said most.

Yep.

Seen to many that was just a cornball act at best. Was not fun to watch.

Have seen one that was really good. But sadly. Most are pretty bad and really bad cornball scripts.

With REALLY bad over acting.

Hey. You asked why.

To each his own as far as re-enactments go, go for it. Speaking specifically of re-enactments about cowboy shootouts, I don't care to even watch them let along be in one. I use to play Cowboy & Indians as a child, enjoyed it,,,, but now, I don't even want to see someone pointing a fake/toy/real gun with or without blank ammo at anyone else in a pretend scenerio. Point a gun in a self defense situation? Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Blastmaster

Steely, I enjoyed reenacting with you and your group at your wedding at Rockome Gardens. It was a hoot. Thanks for inviting me. It was good to see some familiar friends.

My main focus is cowboy shooting. I don't have any extra time for reenacting but would consider it if I weren't so busy. Too many other activities on my plate. I do enjoy watching cowboy reenactors or any other type for that matter, whether they are good or not. I realize you all aren't paid professional actors, you get what you pay for! :lol: But its all fun!

Kudos to you pal

(I miss Thunder Valley too)

Wyatt Earp was born in a small town (Monmouth, IL) near here. We were asked to help with the renactment of the OK Corral at the annual Wyatt Earp birthday fundraiser for the museum located at his birth residence. The couple of hundred people who show up seem to enjoy it, we have fun doing it. I've seen it on film - we're sure not professional actors, but it makes for an entertaining afternoon. Kids and adults stick around for pictures with the "Earps" and "Clanton gang" members.

Would not do it on a regular basis, certainly not in lieu of CAS, but it helps pass the time in small town USA.

CR

Speaking as someone who has been a Revolutionary War and Civil War reenactor I would say that Cowboy reenactors are bad actor wannabees while Cowboy Action Shooters are worse actor wannabees......I'm joking of course.....or am I?

DD

Lorelei and I did both reenacting and SASS for about seven years. We both really enjoyed the reenacting. Got to reenact in Jackson, Wyoming one year with Kid Shane. That's where I first met West Fargo. Heck, it was terrific having a shootout at the Texas State Railroad, then riding the train talking to the tourists, especially the kids.

It just got to be too much; we were never home. And then the price of gasoline really spiked. We had to make a decision, and SASS won (real bullets).

Hi Chicago,

I've never given it much thought, nor have I gone out of my way to see a reenactment. The few times I've been forced to watch one at a SASS match, I wanted to leave the area. It makes me nervous to see guns pointed at folks. I feel the same way about my potential participation.

With SASS I know the condition of my gun and what is in it. There are safety measures in place and ROs to keep folks from pointing loaded or potentially-loaded guns at folks. I just feel more comfortable with SASS safety measures.

I have no desire to stop others from enjoying watching or participating in reenactments. It just isn't "my cup of tea."

Regards,

Allie Mo

I spent a lot of years being paid to have guns pointed at me, and pointing them at someone I didn't know, should the necessity arise. I am very uncomfortable having guns pointed at me or pointing guns at anyone unless such a necessity occurs. I don't enjoy watching it happen when a lot of essentially uncontrolled people who are terrible ham actors do it in public places with crowds of spectators running around.

Shooting targets is another matter altogether.

Now that I've alienated everyone, I'll take my hoop and roll it someplace else.

Hi Chicago,

I've never given it much thought, nor have I gone out of my way to see a reenactment. The few times I've been forced to watch one at a SASS match, I wanted to leave the area. It makes me nervous to see guns pointed at folks. I feel the same way about my potential participation.

With SASS I know the condition of my gun and what is in it. There are safety measures in place and ROs to keep folks from pointing loaded or potentially-loaded guns at folks. I just feel more comfortable with SASS safety measures.

I have no desire to stop others from enjoying watching or participating in reenactments. It just isn't "my cup of tea."

Regards,

Allie Mo

I spent a lot of years being paid to have guns pointed at me, and pointing them at someone I didn't know, should the necessity arise. I am very uncomfortable having guns pointed at me or pointing guns at anyone unless such a necessity occurs. I don't enjoy watching it happen when a lot of essentially uncontrolled people who are terrible ham actors do it in public places with crowds of spectators running around.

Shooting targets is another matter altogether.

Now that I've alienated everyone, I'll take my hoop and roll it someplace else.

Allie and 4T pretty much said what I am thinking.

Pard, why don't NASCAR folks like Formula One? Well of course some do, some don't. They are DIFFERENT enterprises, which is perhaps what appeals to DIFFERENT folks. of course there is some overlap, but not a whole lot.....

Back to re-enacting, I suppose SOME have the idea yer talking about true historical re-enacting, which again, appeals to some, but puts others off (thread nazis etc have killed it in many places), while others are put off if it ISN'T "realistic" enough.

In the end, I suspect when you are dealing with ACTORS, there's a whole kettle of fish that goes with that, just as in staging any play, etc. (ACTORS can be a prissy lot....)

So where do ya find folks who just wanna "rob the train" or whatever with about as much historical accuracy as the average SASS shoot? Ya'd probably find a FEW at SASS shoots, but they'd be SHOOTING, and most would not wanna travel and go through the whole shebang without there be any SHOOTING involved, though a few might.....

I love Cowboy shooting.... But getting into Wild West Shows has been the pinnacle of Cowboy fer me. Its where I live my fantasies from every Western I ever seen!!!!

I chose Outlaw. Last weekend I had 500 people cheer when I was killed! That really makes ya feel good.

Black powder blanks... 120 g of BP in the Shotgun. Smoke, fire out the barrel, bank robberies... Its a ball.

Why is my group struggling? Why dont CAS people stand in line for this kind of fun?

Can ya tell me?

Heres a pic and a film from shows recent.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x406/1chicagosteeley9/Lowellshotgun10911.jpg

http://www.colescountyregulators.com/index_files/Page428.html

Your whole premise is flawed, you don't have any idea about SASS members participating in "reenacting" anywhere but in your local. Perhaps it has something to do with your state's gun laws.

To each his own as far as re-enactments go, go for it. Speaking specifically of re-enactments about cowboy shootouts, I don't care to even watch them let along be in one. I use to play Cowboy & Indians as a child, enjoyed it,,,, but now, I don't even want to see someone pointing a fake/toy/real gun with or without blank ammo at anyone else in a pretend scenerio. Point a gun in a self defense situation? Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Blastmaster

Plus a bunch!!!!

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

A couple of things for me.

1. No bullets/targets. It's not a shooting game, it's an acting game. I'm just not interested in acting.

2. I don't want anyone pointing a gun at me, and I'm not going to point my gun at anyone unless they need to be shot in order to protect myself, my family, or my friends. Nope, not gonna happen.

Steely

If you "love cowboy shooting" your home club shoots on the 3rd Sunday of the month from April to October and you have not shot all year! So are you pulling are leg or what?

Turkey Bob

Well, I have been a historical reenactor for almost 30 years. I gave done 18th century, 1830s 1840s California (including a blacksmith, a doctor, a carpenter, a US Navy sailor and a cook), California Gold Rush, Civil War (Confederate and Union mounted cav), Indian Wars, Cowboy, 1890s, and WW II (British Airborne). I worked as a costumed interpreter for the California State Parks. My pard Pawnee Bill (Carl Ontis) used to have a wild west show that was a ball.

BUT! (and its a big one) I have no interest what-so-ever in doing some gunfight "reenactment". Why? Because its usually done so badly. It is really the lowest common denominator of "reenactment" that frequently attracts folks who have no real interest in actual history. Besides, how often did people actually get in shootouts? Not that often. Civil War Reenacting and WWII reenacting was different of course.

I enjoy reenactments because they give me a chance to use old technology and learn how it works. I find that very useful in my profession as a historian and historical archaeologist. Besides, I enjoy many of the folks I meet reenacting.

I enjoy reenacting and living history. :) I have done mostly American Civil War reenacting. We would sometimes hold "live fire" events which gave us a chance to have some shooting competition at the local range. Such events were always poorly attended, as most CW reenactors show little, to no interest in firing anything but blanks! I found that odd, but that's the way it is. :unsure:

The cowboy "gunfight in the street" thing is just not my cup of tea. However, I enjoy watching one that is well done. :)

Archived