SASS Wire Forum

What pistols to buy

EL LOBO TEJANO

I run Conversions and Schofields, but it seems that the Vaqueros both Original and New Models would be the most trouble free and the best for a new shooter to go with. And with Rugers, you can always sell them easily if you choose something else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you haven't already, take some time and go to a match. Talk with the people there. If you smile nice they may let you get the feel of their guns.

What caliber, stainless or blue, barrel length? Plow handle or Bisley grips? 

What category are you thinking about? Some categories are more caliber specific. 

Good luck in your search. 

BS

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JoeCalhoun said:

Here are some specific pistol recommendations for a newbie:

Beginner-Friendly Pistols:

Glock 17 pistol
  • Glock 17: This classic 9mm pistol is a great choice for beginners due to its simple design, reliable operation, and wide availability of aftermarket parts.
Изображение: Glock 17 pistol

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield pistol
  • Smith & Wesson M&P Shield: This compact and lightweight pistol is perfect for concealed carry, and it comes in both 9mm and .380 ACP, another popular beginner caliber.
Изображение: Smith & Wesson M&P Shield pistol

Ruger Security9 pistol
  • Ruger Security-9: This affordable 9mm pistol is a great value for the price, and it's known for its reliability and ease of use.Изображение: Ruger Security9 pistol

Each of these pistols can be modded: Grips. sights and triggers.

my thought was the OP was referring to single action as that's what we use.

agree with the thoughts above:  attend a match, shoot a few--we cowfolk love to help the new shooters

cr

• Like 2

Colt.  You can never go wrong with a Colt.

If you can't afford a (pair of) Colt(s) there some excellent near clones on the new and used market.

Caliber?   Well, what do you wanna do?  .38's are the least expensive, but there's a "magic" to shooting .44's and .45's.   

The BEST guns for you to get are ones that you like, shoot well, and above all else, have fun with.

I've got a lot of different SASS legal pistols in my collection, mostly Colts or copies thereof, but I've also got S&W's, Remingtons, Conversions, and other stuff.   I enjoy shooting all of them from time to time, but when all is said and done, my two favorite pistols are my Dad's 4-3/4" Colt, and my "Big Iron" that I custom made.   I don't worry about trying to win cuz I know I never will, I just try for a clean match and concentrate on having fun.

• Like 1

.357 and I’ll shoot .38 I like blued guns. 4.75” barrel 

I’d like to stay around 400-500 for each pistol. 

I like the Uberti cattleman. And the pietta pistoleros I just don’t know if they can be slicked up.

I don’t want to limit my self by the platform I start with.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

If you haven't already, take some time and go to a match. Talk with the people there. If you smile nice they may let you get the feel of their guns.

What caliber, stainless or blue, barrel length? Plow handle or Bisley grips? 

What category are you thinking about? Some categories are more caliber specific. 

Good luck in your search. 

BS

At a match shoot every revolver that is handed to you.  You will not like some and will be drawn to others.  Every revolver made can be improved by a CAS gunsmith for better functioning in a race environment (lighter hammer springs, smoother action and different trigger pull).  Aftermarket grips are available that may fit your hand better than the factory grips.  You can try them at major matches.  I recommend revolvers that shoot 38 Specials or 357 mags unless you want to shoot Classic Cowboy.  38 Special is a light-recoiling round with inexpensive brass (you will learn to reload).  I shoot stainless steel Rugers tuned by a well-known CAS smith.  Some dislike Rugers and prefer Colt-pattern revolvers.  Whatever feels best in your hands when you shoot is the right choice for you.

• Like 1

Rugers are a good choice and have a great warranty. Piettas are a very good Colt clone. Pietta sells models with and without a traditional hammer/firing pin and those with a transfer bar. I prefer the former. I think action jobs are more important for the rifle and shotgun, but people do have pistols tuned.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EL LOBO TEJANO said:

I like the Uberti cattleman. And the pietta pistoleros I just don’t know if they can be slicked up.

I don’t want to limit my self by the platform I start with.

Your price range will probably eliminate Rugers, these days. That would be about the price for used Italian guns.  The Ubertis and Piettas can be slicked up easily.  If the timing is good, they really only need a spring kit.  Some Piettas have come from the factory with lighter springs already.  With some exceptions, most Cattleman  made the last half dozen years will have their telescoping firing pin safety which usually is okay but some people have had issues with that.  People will say that Rugers are the toughest, but a properly set up Colt or Clone can be very reliable.

For sure, go to a match and ask to handle some guns.    As mentioned above, some will just feel better in your hands than others.

• Like 1

Anything can be slicked up.  The question is how easy can it be slicked up and what parts are available.  Stick with Uberti, Pietta or Ruger as they all tune well and there are parts available.  For a new shooter steer away from Open Tops, Schofields or any of the off-the-wall models as these are not well supported and have peculiarites most new shooters are not going to want to deal with.  In the price range you are looking you are pretty much limited to Uberti and Pietta.  Even used Rugers are generally going for more than your price range these days.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Ruger new model Vaqueros.

OP, have you attended any shoots yet?

Buy NOTHING, until you have attended a few shoots. 

This.......:)

This game is labeled the Single Action Shooters Society because semi-auto handguns are not used in Cowboy matches. 

We do have a second competition that uses 1911 design pistols chambered for .45 auto, though.

good luck, GJ

• Like 2

Please - go to some matches and try different guns. Rugers are tough and good guns but they aren’t right for everyone.  Lots of folks like the feel and balance of a Colt or Colt clone.  Make the choice yourself. No one but you can decide the best fit for yourself.  
Just my $.02 worth. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rugers have definitely shot up in price lately.  Of course, so has everything else.

I started with Pietta Frontier models in .357 and still shoot them occasionally.  They're a solid 4-click pistol but will need a spring kit, forcing cones recut, and very likely will need the bolts fitted.  Add a trigger job and they'll run well for a very long time.

The advice to visit a match and try a variety of pistols is spot on.  However, you're going to see a wide variety and will probably end up more confused than ever.  I would suggest talking to the shooters that have a similar goal of competing as you do and ask them what revolvers they prefer.  Just know that your bank account is going to feel pain if your overall goal is to achieve and maintain a spot in the top 10% of the leader board.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that but it'll take a lot of lead downrange and raced equipment to get there, generally speaking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EL LOBO TEJANO said:

That's a pretty tight budget. Uberti Cattleman Hombre's can be had new in the mid-$400 range. I've seen them for as little as $430 on Gunbroker... plus $20 shipping... plus GB's 1% "compliance fee"... plus your dealer's transfer fee... so unless you find them locally, it's still likely to top $500 each. New Vaqueros will be 60% more than that even. Blackhawks will usually be less, and I've seen a few used ones in very good condition go for $415 - $450 lately, but that's the exception - plus shipping, compliance fee, and transfer fee.

5 hours ago, EL LOBO TEJANO said:

Looking at buying 2 pistols.

what brands an models can be modded?

Where are you from? We will have members and clubs nearby.

• Like 1

Man, there are a bunch of great folks from Tennessee. Hook up with some of them and if you can make the Tennessee State Championship you will be overwhelmed by that crew. Especially if you could make the Swap Meet there, you could definitely get to handle a bunch of guns of all flavors.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Man, there are a bunch of great folks from Tennessee. Hook up with some of them and if you can make the Tennessee State Championship you will be overwhelmed by that crew. Especially if you could make the Swap Meet there, you could definitely get to handle a bunch of guns of all flavors.

When is that?

• Thanks 1

Start with what you can afford.  Never a champ, but began with Ruger OMV, amped them up , sold them and ended up with Colts.  A matter of enjoyment, and saving up a bit.  Practice and skill is more important than brand.

• Like 1

Another thing that could be easily overlooked is the sights.  Highly recommend going with fixed sights.  Adjustable sights limit the categories that you can shoot in.

BS

• Like 3

Don't buy anything till you attend a match or two. Ask to try other peoples firearms to see what feels right to you.

Some pistols will point more naturally than others. Some people like birdshead grips some don't. Same for Bisley grips.

Some prefer Rugers, some prefer SAA, and others prefer open tops. Barrel length is also a personal preference. You'll see barrel lengths as short as 2" to as long as 12".

Same applies to rifles and shotguns.

Tricked out heavily modified guns will not make you a top shooter. Properly tuned firearms and a lot of practice is what it takes.

BTW some of us shoot for style points and compete to have the most fun. 

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

Another thing that could be easily overlooked is the sights.  Highly recommend going with fixed sights.  Adjustable sights limit the categories that you can shoot in.

BS

one thing about front sights--Ubeties and the like have very narrow front sights--many cowfolk will put an aftermarket one on that dramatically thickens them.  another cost to consider

12 hours ago, EL LOBO TEJANO said:

Nashville,TN

You need to come to a match at Wartrace.  https://www.wartraceregulators.com/

We shoot the first and third Saturday every month and you can see all kinds of guns in action and ask as many questions as you like.  Some of us will even let you try our guns out to see what you like or don't like. 

Side note, there may not be a lot of people at the first Saturday match of May since a good number of Wartrace shooters will be participating in the Alabama State Championship Match.  If you want to come down on Saturday May 4, you could catch 140 shooters in action at the Alabama State Match.  I think it would be a 2-2/12 drive from the Nashville area.  https://www.northalabamaregulators.com/

• Like 3

I'd go with Uberti's in .357/.38. Cimarron or Taylor's. Look on the SASS Classified for used guns. Rugers are good to but I never cared for how they feel Just MHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buy what makes you happy.  All are good, some have some unique quirks but it is an investment into your happiness.  I prefer Ruger and Colt, I have used the Italian Pistolas without any regrets but appreciate the feel of the Colt SAA and the toughness of the NMV.  Go to a shoot and test drive a few, I have not met anyone in CAS that would be opposed to sharing and even providing some ammo.  My go-to pair are shown below....

019 020 Reeder.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Some prefer Rugers, some prefer SAA, and others prefer open tops. Barrel length is also a personal preference. You'll see barrel lengths as short as 2" to as long as 12" 18"

;)

BuntlinesX3.thumb.jpg.afe3c026134e1a52cb3a05515ad98275.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cimmaron pistoleros, nice 4 click guns made by pietta, should fit in that budget, available in blue/ case hardened or nickel plated.