SASS Wire Forum

What Appetizer?

Deviled eggs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Anything that isn’t too convoluted like chips and dips and anything that isn’t seafood or fish that can go bad before it smells bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife, Schoolmarm, makes an appetizer known as sausage stars.  Hot country sausage and several great cheeses.

We have never brought any home from any party and there are always people asking for the recipe!  She has a couple of secret variations from the published recipe.

• Like 2

I usually eat a lot of what my wife takes.  I know it's safe, and she feels good that there isn't any leftovers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Dolmas.

images.jpg

image.thumb.png.3a48c91c170b6777d10969cb0d396bb4.png

Or small cabbage rolls.

Pretty much anything that's small pieces of bread with a cream cheese or sour cream spread and smoked fish and/or caviar (can be salmon or trout),  any pickled vegetable,

• Like 1

LadyC makes a delicious Buffalo Chicken dip that is always ransacked!

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I usually eat a lot of what my wife takes.  I know it's safe, and she feels good that there isn't any leftovers.

Winner, Winner, Winner.  But it would be hard to pass up the scallops.  :D

• Thanks 1

Is this a bad time to mention that I hate potlucks?

I have this thing. It’s not a phobia, but more like a complex. I cannot eat food that other people have been hovering over, picked at and scrutinized or handled. 

I have gotten deathly ill eating at potlucks. I may never eat another deviled egg as long as I live. 

Sorry. I’m a bit weird. I just can’t do potlucks. I don’t even know why I answered in the first place. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Is this a bad time to mention that I hate potlucks?

I have this thing. It’s not a phobia, but more like a complex. I cannot eat food that other people have been hovering over, picked at and scrutinized or handled. 

I have gotten deathly ill eating at potlucks. I may never eat another deviled egg as long as I live. 

Sorry. I’m a bit weird. I just can’t do potlucks. I don’t even know why I answered in the first place. 

Now, how many times have you almost been killed on your motorcycle?  

Weird how the human brain works.

• Like 1

Ok, reason for the question. I like to turn the game on for the ambiance, have a snack, fall asleep, wake up, have a snack, sleep till it’s over , have a snack, clean up and go to bed.

in the past I’ve picked up a couple things from the freezers, always bacon wrapped scallops. :D and something else.

I think I’ll still do the BWS, I can do 3 deviled eggs and not have leftovers. svedish meatballs, yumm, made them fifty years ago. And look up the Svedish Bikini team!. And leftover meatballs are ok.

7 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Now, how many times have you almost been killed on your motorcycle?  

Weird how the human brain works.

I enjoy riding my bike I don’t enjoy potlucks, buffets, charcuterie snacks at parties, party food.

How many times have you taken your life in your own hands attending a shooting match with strangers? :P :lol:

• Like 1

@Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 I apologize for ricocheting your thread. 

One thing I do not mind at these events, prepackaged items. Even if a person makes something at home then puts it baggies I feel a lot better about eating it. 
One work event I went to this lady showed up with these tasty little sandwiches individually wrapped with cling wrap. Those things were great. Some had mayo on them. Some had mustard. Some were roast beef and provolone, some were ham and cheddar. Simple, but tasty. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

One thing I do not mind at these events, prepackaged items. Even if a person makes something at home then puts it baggies I feel a lot better about eating it. 
One work event I went to this lady showed up with these tasty little sandwiches individually wrapped with cling wrap. Those things were great. Some had mayo on them. Some had mustard. Some were roast beef and provolone, some were ham and cheddar. Simple, but tasty. 

Ahhh, I think I know analogies. In Ukraine open markets will have a plate, a basket for you to sample the product, berries, cheeses.

In some ethnic restaurants, near the cashier will be a bowl small unwrapped sweets.

long list really.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

image.thumb.png.3a48c91c170b6777d10969cb0d396bb4.png

Or small cabbage rolls.

Pretty much anything that's small pieces of bread with a cream cheese or sour cream spread and smoked fish and/or caviar (can be salmon or trout),  any pickled vegetable,

That looks horrifyingly vegetablish

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

If I were at a large pot luck party, I'd have to check my wallet to see who's I.D. I was carrying. I don't get invited to parties of any kind.

Been meaning to talk to you about that.................:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

And, seriously, this is all, by me for me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

That looks horrifyingly vegetablish

But quite tasty.  There would also be on the table platters of Kibbeh (beef or lamb croquettes) 
image.thumb.png.30f3ae98212cac472687d28ad7ca773f.png

Arayes
image.thumb.png.833485aaf744447c3418ae50edc3dcdb.png

Sfeeha
image.png.b6542b49bc12827dc1cd43b9dd89bbf1.png

And various other dishes
image.png.cac47503fb0680b71dd62274cf72425f.png

• Like 2