SASS Wire Forum

Cart Contents and cleaning

sarcasmn

Tried to search but I must be using the wrong words.  What do you folks keep in your gun cart as far as gun cleaning supplies?  Do you use cleaning snakes at matches?  Do you not clean at matches?  

i keep cleaning kit in mine - i use it in the evening after the first days shooting , its a basic kit that covers all my guns - those i used and those i didnt , 

You can get a whole lot of stuff in a cart you will never use.  I try to keep it simple, a good small Screwdriver, small can of G96, shotgun bore snake, rifle/pistol caliber bore snake, a swab for shotgun chambers and a rag.  The shotgun chamber swab is what I use the most.  The screw driver has come in handy several times.  I have loaned the bore snakes but haven't used them at a match.  I find a bottle of water, lens wipes, lead free hands wipes and a snack pretty handy too.  

A spray can of CLP, a shotgun chamber brush and a squib rod.   For a big match, a .38 and .45 broken case extractor and a shotgun shell checker/sizer.

Serious cleaning gear is back at the casa.  Either the permanent one or the traveling one.  

Clean guns most evenings, especially if using a 1911 that gets fouled pretty quickly.  GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jack Spade said:

You can get a whole lot of stuff in a cart you will never use.  I try to keep it simple, a good small Screwdriver, small can of G96, shotgun bore snake, rifle/pistol caliber bore snake, a swab for shotgun chambers and a rag.  The shotgun chamber swab is what I use the most.  The screw driver has come in handy several times.  I have loaned the bore snakes but haven't used them at a match.  I find a bottle of water, lens wipes, lead free hands wipes and a snack pretty handy too.  

i agree with this and i subscribe to minimalizing what is carried , i use a golf cart for my gun cart , i will most likely reduce what i carry next year more than i have in the past - 

but

you need your brass pickin stuff - unless your a dodger of that duty 

i think you need a clearing rod - seems no one else has one but i always do 

you never know when a little ballistol is needed and that pull through might improve your day 

so i keep all of those things in my cart , i also have a lot of unnecessary things , like a cork screw , a lighter , old name tags and a bunch of $1 coins and some old lunch tokens from shoots past - that is why i need to clean out the cart , its a goal this winter after i replace the sink n the first floor bathroom , next week maybe 

• Like 1

Screwdrivers. 

Can of gun oil just in case.

Glasses and earplugs.

A little extra ammo.

Pro Grip for my hands.

Shotgun swab. 

Towel for my hands if needed. 

That's about it.

If you are cleaning your guns while the match is going on.

Then you are not helping with posse work. That's not going to make you a good posse member. 

JMHO.

Edited by Anvil Al #59168
  • Like 5

I keep a spray can of remoil, small bottle of gun oil, multi tool gunsmith tool kit, and a shotgun bore brush. Lead wipes and an old dirty rag for wiping down things.  

Timer, spare ammo, picker materials and a squib rod.  

I don't want to cart around more stuff than I need.  

For multi day shoots spare guns, real tools and cleaning stuff is in the conveyance 

11 hours ago, sarcasmn said:

…What do you folks keep in your gun cart as far as gun cleaning supplies?  Do you use cleaning snakes at matches?  Do you not clean at matches?  

The Carrier Block on my 1866 rifle in 45 Colt sticks sometimes because the “dirty” nature of the pistol caliber.  So I carry a can of WD-40 to blast it clean as need.  I wouldn’t need the WD-40 if I would clean the rifle between matches.  Other then the WD-40 I carry no cleaning supplies.

• Like 1

Cleaning Supplies?  In my gun cart?  If I need to clean, I shouldn't have come to the match.  I go to matches to shoot, stay home to clean.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I need to start shooting with Jefro, he has unguarded chocolate chip cookies.

I keep a small can of spray oil, and a 12 gauge chamber brush in my cart.  I have never yet needed the oil.  I'll probably pick up a squib rod at some point, but I don't load too soft, so squibs have not been a problem either.  Even at big matches you usually only shoot 6 stages a day.  That's only 60 through the rifle and 30 through each pistol.  Unless you're shooting black powder you shouldn't need to clean your guns to keep them running for 60 rounds.   

Squib rod, Swiss Army knife, First Aid kit, bore swab, spare ear plugs.

Ammo. Shotgun brush, guns, screwdriver, more ammo, Allen wrench, more guns, shot shell checker, more ammo.

With six guns in a four gun cart, 500 rounds of metallic cartridge and 4-5 boxes of shotgun shells there’s not room for much else.

Unless you’re a BP shooter cleaning should be done at home. 

All of our Cowboy guns are cleaned and ready for 2024. In April they’ll get cleaned again, at home, then again in August or September, but not at a match.

squib rod

screwdriver set--my Marlin's screw LOVE to loosen over time

spray can of REM-OIL

hand primer tools in both LPP and SPP--easy way to solve high primers "in the field"

small hammer:  squib rod and we have nails backing out of our stage floors

ill most likely still carry the kit with all my bore snakes and the lubes/cleaners i keep in it , you never know when you might need it but its a fairly small kit in the big picture , it could be bigger but i have that in the camper kit that i use in the evenings - it has lots more stuff in it , 

mostly what i carry on the cart is the guns , the amo , water and tools for picking brass , i also have an umbrella large enough to cover me and my cart if needed , 

I keep a bore snake for the rifle, a chamber brush for my shotgun, a weaver screw driver kit and a squib rod at rifle length. I have never had to use the screw drivers or squib rod but a few others have borrowed them. I also have a bottle of hoppes and some cleaning patches

Leatherman multi-tool

rag

small gunsmiths screw driver set

small spray can of ballistoil

small bottle of CLP

spare firing pin for rifles

shotshell checker

shotgun chamber swab

squib rod

extra ear plugs

cryin towel

cleaning kit stays in the truck

have never needed to clean guns at a 2 day 12 stage match

at the most I'll run a snake through the shotgun barrels

On 1/20/2024 at 6:54 AM, Matthew Duncan said:

The Carrier Block on my 1866 rifle in 45 Colt sticks sometimes because the “dirty” nature of the pistol caliber.  So I carry a can of WD-40 to blast it clean as need.  I wouldn’t need the WD-40 if I would clean the rifle between matches.  Other then the WD-40 I carry no cleaning supplies.

WD-40! BLASPHOMY!

• Haha 2

ok , thats a lot of cart , but then i have a friend that has a cart that size , says he needs a pair of shetlands to pull it - actually i had friends i used to shoot with that had more cart than that but there were four people shooting from their cart , just the guns and ammo added up 

I only carry enough stuff to get me through the day's shooting; all major cleaning and maintenance stuff stays in the truck.

In my cart I have:

Shotgun chamber brush

Squib rod

Screwdriver set

Pistol cleaning rod with brush

Small bottle of Ballistol

Squirt bottle of Moose Milk if I'm shooting BP

If I have major gun issues, I'm not going to tear down the gun.  I carry a backup rifle, shotgun, and one revolver in the cart if the range is far from the parking lot.  For monthly matches I usually leave backup guns in the truck.

Do not carry any, do not shoot black powder.  If I did would carry stuff to clean pistols, rifles and shotgun chambers prolly windex with vinegar and balistol or moose milk.  If at out of town match keep cleaning stuff in the truck or 5th wheel if I am dragging it.

On 1/24/2024 at 7:35 PM, Diamond Jake said:

I only carry enough stuff to get me through the day's shooting; all major cleaning and maintenance stuff stays in the truck.

In my cart I have:

Shotgun chamber brush

Squib rod

Screwdriver set

Pistol cleaning rod with brush

Small bottle of Ballistol

Squirt bottle of Moose Milk if I'm shooting BP

If I have major gun issues, I'm not going to tear down the gun.  I carry a backup rifle, shotgun, and one revolver in the cart if the range is far from the parking lot.  For monthly matches I usually leave backup guns in the truck.

im with you on the gun issues  i carry a backup as well , that takes up space too , im building a newer , lighter , cart these past two years , its first incarnation was less than satisfactory , but i have the bits to revise it so intend to get that done this winter , ill see how it goes in the spring , i generally dont shoot BP , so i dispense with that gear , i do know that on occasion one needs lube and a tool or two as well as the clearing rod , i intend to maintain those , water [old people need to hydrate] and my hand rag - umbrella - possibly a small stool [old people need to sit sometimes and dont like getting wet] i will have the shotgun chamber brush and a screwdriver as well as a knife , i learned a few years ago that nifty wrench for your mag tube cap was also essential [thank you to my cowboy rescuer] beyond that ill probably just carry the days ammo and an extra stage as that has come up all too often , 

now theres a good point , ive had a bad day on a couple occasions , once it was a five revolvers down day that i never wanted to relive so i bought a set of rugers and never looked back , but i kept the spare ruger as a backup , 

that said , one of those bad days was a rifle issue that ive almost never had in 20+ years , i had it go down in a big way and a fellow coeboy had that wrench for the magazine in his cart to fix my problem , i was able to complete not only the days stages biut the rest of the match thanks to him , AND WHAT HE HAD ON HIS CART , im not a proponent of added weight , if you talk to my friends they will tell you im just the opposite , 

i carry [in a perfect world] only what i need and just those things that might be important to finish the day , can always fix and clean and reset at the campfire after the days shooting for tomorrow , but there are things one should not do without and then there is that thought that one should not always depend on another to cover his A$$ for not thinking ahead a little , i know its the cowboy way and ive been both beneficiary as well as respondent of needs over the years , THANK YOU to those that helped me and your welcome to those ive helped - its what we do , 

• Like 1