SASS Wire Forum

Dead Eye, a new cowboy action sport?

Brimstone Bill Willson

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, he doesn't quite know the history of SASS/CAS.

Second, does he really think that what he's proposing is new???

Lastly, he really seems to think that because he likes this, that there's an actual market for it. There might be...but they won't be CAS. The majority would not be able to do the things he's asking folks to do. Yeah...women rolling around on the ground...carrying a pistol in hand while running down range with a rifle in the other hand.

This person ... sorry...I believe is delusional (relative to what he's proposing).

Phantom

No thanks, I nearly got killed out at Pala doing stuff like that years ago and won’t be doing that again.

Would love to see them run a few hundred shooters through...resetting the Star...at the end of a long bay...multi-minute stages...oh how much fun!!!!!!

He tried to hide his distain for SASS/CAS...did an okay job.

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

First off, he doesn't quite know the history of SASS/CAS.

Second, does he really think that what he's proposing is new???

Lastly, he really seems to think that because he likes this, that there's an actual market for it. There might be...but they won't be CAS. The majority would not be able to do the things he's asking folks to do. Yeah...women rolling around on the ground...carrying a pistol in hand while running down range with a rifle in the other hand.

This person ... sorry...I believe is delusional (relative to what he's proposing).

Phantom

No need to apologize for being observant.

I have been doing this for 28 years and if Cowboy Action was like that I would have gone to one match and that would have been the end of it for me.  If he  thinks that's the future of Cowboy Action I want to wish him a lot of Luck, like Phantom said he's delusional!!!!!

He wants to "bring in younger blood".   Well, with that laying in on the ground scenario, he's lost most of the ladies and most of the older shooters.  To which he's also added a foot race.  Looking at the way he moves when he's running, he'd no longer be able to do it 10yrs from now.   The idea of his Dead-Eye CQB Brutality Match seems to be geared toward younger male shooters.  That seems to be his target audience.   Way to kill a game that welcomes all shooters, male and female, of all ages.

19 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Just out of curiosity, did SASS matches ever look remotely close to scenarios/stages shown in this video?

Not where I came from... And I came from where "it" all started.

Phantom

Watched it as long as I could stand it, about 10 minutes. Eight minutes of barely veiled barbs at SASS and CAS in general, followed by his version of all CAS matches in general. Not even going to mention his crossdraw method. Oops, guess I did.

Count me out.

Maybe he was not good enough to compete in 3 gun and thought if I start something new (that most SASS shooters couldn’t/wouldn’t do), would win him sumthin.  Me on the other hand, won’t ever be competing in those matches. 

I think he has some valid points, but I also think his criticisms are a bit overstated.

Now, as to the alternate way to shoot it, I see a lot of merit there.  I like how his 87 was loaded up full, for example.  I liked how there was a lot of shooting in a flexible format.  BUT, I think he took the solutions a bit too far.  Laying on the ground?   No thanks.   :)

Longer ranges, that might be fun.  Going from one stage to another?  An interesting idea.  But I wonder about the safety, and the time it would take to put a buncha shooters through it all.  Using ANY guns designed before 1898, a great idea.  

In other words, I saw some merit in all of this, but I think it took some things too far.   I'd like to try it, but don't think it's the "future" of CAS.   A novelty shoot, sure, but the regular way, no.

And mentioning what is essentially Zoot Shooting at the end was kinda weird.  :)

I’m glad clubs post their stage setups at a lot of clubs now days. When I see a Texas Star in use I don’t go to that match. Watching it get set up after each shooter isn’t my cup of tea. 

I'm going to be completely blunt - or perhaps BRUTAL.

I'm watching a video from a no name shooter; whose biggest claim to fame is 2nd place finishes?  Who has zero concept of where this game came from or why it has progressed to where it is currently...

I'm watching a shooter who posts 30+ second stages and then disparages the target sizes and arrays as too close...

I'm watching a shooter being insulting toward the equipment modifications and yet cannot complete a stage without hiccups...

This is somehow the FUTURE of Cowboy Action?

This is yet another example of somebody unable to win under the current system - so instead of trying harder, practicing more or striving to improve their self, attempts to create their own game that they feel will benefit them.

I aint impressed.

The entire membership of CAS is aging, already old. Most would look at laying down and running 50 yards as a big "nope won't do it". 

His history of how SASS started is completely wrong.

3 minute stages and having to tape cardboard targets is not how shooters want to spend their day. 

He focused on 357/38 what about all the other calibers bigger than that?

We shoot Josey Wales, big bore optional, we eliminate rifle or shotgun from scenarios, we move down range, 10 yards, and we use a lot of flyers. His assumption that ll stages look like the 10/10/4 he showed is total BS.

You want to kill SASS/CAS this format will do it. 

52 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

This is yet another example of somebody unable to win under the current system - so instead of trying harder, practicing more or striving to improve their self, attempts to create their own game that they feel will benefit them.

All I can say is Lia Thomas.

La Sombra

3 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

Uspsa 

That's way beyond how a normal USPSA match is. The modern 3 gun matches do use some different rifle shooting positions. There are a couple of modern "brutality" type 3 gun matches that have far more running and obstacles then the usual matches. No cowboy shooter wants this type of match.

His description of SASS stages is about right. When a SASS shooter mentions they'd prefer seeing the targets out a few steps farther with no other changes the criticism you see is as if they suggested this "brutality " type format or of course "bullseye".

Try it out as a side-match and see what the responses are. :rolleyes:

Make sure you have a staff of target setters/tapers on hand to assist; as well as padded ground cover at the prone shooting positions (no one wants the lie/kneel down on rocky/muddy ground or bare concrete). 

:ph34r:

11 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

His description of SASS stages is about right. When a SASS shooter mentions they'd prefer seeing the targets out a few steps farther with no other changes the criticism you see is as if they suggested this "brutality " type format or of course "bullseye".

I don't think he was being accurate in his description of SASS... And of course he showed two CAS stages that represent only Big and Close...all to support his agenda.

He should make change his name for this stellar shooting game to DEAD-EYE-DEA

Phantom

Archived