SASS Wire Forum

First real country song that I've heard in awhile.

Raylan

AMEN Amen amen 

Just my uneducated opinion, but other than the twang I can't see what's "country" about it.  I couldn't listen to it for but about half a minute.  To my untrained ear the guy can't sing and can barely play.  Trying to be a conservative Woody Guthrie with a Bob Dylan voice and not bringing off either one.  

Country music died in the 1980s, maybe even in the 1970s.  There are a few "back to basics" singers out there, but seem few and far between.

Oh, I listen to the Sirius XM country channels, and Bluegrass Junction, especially the "Sidetracks" segments that seem to focus on, not sure what to call it, maybe "neotraditional," that goes back to the roots of ballad and story-telling, with melody and harmony.  But even those channels I find myself jumping around a lot, half the time ending up on a classical music station.

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I like the message but the song sucks!:lol:

Me ‘n’ ol’ Rye don’t agree on a lot of music stuff, but this time, he’s dead on point!!

Almost every country song has either a political, cultural, or moral message!!

I know that I’m over generalizing here, but when you get down to it, most songs do!

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I know that I’m over generalizing here, but when you get down to it, most songs do!

I'll go along with that.  Most songs reference some aspect of the human condition, either personal or societal.  "Long Black Veil" is about adultery ,murder, and betrayal (I suspect that the guy who was hanged was set up by the husband).  

Even "The Intoxicated Rat" has a message about the dangers of Demon Rum.

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Me ‘n’ ol’ Rye don’t agree on a lot of music stuff, but this time, he’s dead on point!!

We probably agree on more than we disagree!;) 

18 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Pop and rock too, Remember these songs? War , The year 2525, Signs signs everywhere signs, Four dead in Ohio, Fortunate Son to name a few. 

20 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Exactly.  But that brings up the question, should there really be a detailed sociopolitical message in a country song?  

Every other Country Song is .

My pickup truck is broken .

My Dog has died .

My women has gone and left me .

I'm now drinking beer here in the Saloon talking to you  .

Repeat !

Aaron Tippin is a long time family friend.
He was telling us he refused to do "crossover country", and it held back his career as a consequence.

Being a musician, I have great appreciation for country artists and studio sidemen (and women).
Their musical chops are astounding, whether I like the tune or not.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

He was telling us he refused to do "crossover country", and it held back his career as a consequence.

Being a musician, I have great appreciation for country artists and studio sidemen (and women).

That's pretty neat; he lives about an hour from here(or at least used to) Saw him in concert back in December and he was as great as ever.

I miss Ray Price and Marty Robbins.

Never was much of a country music fan, but those two, Don Williams,  and maybe Don Gibson were great to listen to.

Johnny Cash and Willy Nelson cross all barriers, and Dwight Yoakum carries on the great “Bakersfield” sound.

Charlie Daniels and The Marshall Tucker Band are far more COUNTRY than nearly any of what folks are calling country today.

9 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Y'all know if you play a country song backwards you're dog comes back to life, you're ex moves back in and the flat tire on your truck suddenly inflates. 

im good with everything but the ex 

On 8/13/2023 at 9:17 AM, bgavin said:

Next time you see him, tell him you heard from somebody who still remembers seeing him at a Bob Hope show in Bahrain. If he had to pick between having a commercially successful career and making good music, he picked the right one and I'm happy about the success he still had. 

Reminded me more of something in the vein of 16 Tons. Anyway not bad for a young man who just 8 days ago released a song he wrote then filmed himself as he performed it in his back yard without any professional production. Number one on itunes both in country and in general. 17 million and more views on Youtube, not counting millions more on Twitter and Rumble. 

To each their own. I think he has a good voice. Pray for him to do well and that he doesn't get eaten by the predators in the media and music industry.

That style of music does not require great vocals or skill on the instrument (no offense to the artist).  I personally like the song and the message, and with over 18million views in just 8 days I can't be the only one.  It is also the current number one song being listened to globally on Apple music.  I'll take this style of county/folk music any day over the current pop/farm emo that passes for country music today.

Opinions are like arm pits....most everyone has at least two....and a lot of the time, it is best kept to one's self. 

Like it, or not...the song went viral. 

Like it, or not...the song resonated with a lot of folks, especially now, in this stupid climate we have been in for a couple of years now.

Music, like art, is subject to the likes and dislikes of the individual....subjective more than objective.

Is it a "country song"? Some say yes, some say no. Just because someone says yes, or not, doesn't mean anything, but just tells the rest of us where you stand on it. So?

He can't sing? Some agree, some disagree.

The resonating guitar (some play it flat, and call it a dobro)...some say he did well, some say not. 

You like the song? Great. So?

You do not like the song? Great. So?

One thing I really did like, was, he read some Scripture from the Bible, before he performed. 

I guess now we will have a discussion on what version of the Bible he read from, Greek Orthodox, Latin Vulgate, etc., and if it was written in Greek,  or Latin, or early English, or German, or Pig Latin, and if he was qualified to read it, since he is likely NOT an ordained minister of whatever faith you believe is the correct one!!!!!  

It is just your/mine/our freekin' opinion, and your/mine/our opinion, plus one yankee dollar, may  buy a small bottled water, in this era of bidenomics.

On 8/13/2023 at 7:47 AM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Every other Country Song is .

My pickup truck is broken .

My Dog has died .

My women has gone and left me .

I'm now drinking beer here in the Saloon talking to you  .

Repeat !

Unless you play it backwards.

Then, you get your dog back, your woman back, your money back, your truck is pulled out of the ditch and you sober up!

I'll stick with Blues if I wanna get depressed, thank you.

17 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Music, like art, is subject to the likes and dislikes of the individual....subjective more than objective.

Right on!! 

17 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Opinions are like arm pits....most everyone has at least two....and a lot of the time, it is best kept to one's self. 

are you suggesting that there's people with more than two armpits? 

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

are you suggesting that there's people with more than two armpits? 

Some people only have one, but you shouldn’t laugh about it.

You can call it whatever kind of music you want.  Country, not country, etc., doesn't matter, it's "America" today.  It's 80% of the nation fed up with the 20% east coast/west coast elites screwing all of us.  White folks, black folks, Hispanics, Asians, etc. are all embracing this song.  To date he has turned down over $8 million in recording deals.  He is about the "message", not the money.  It's #1 on Apple downloads WORLD WIDE, not just the U.S.

He deserves appreciation from ALL honest, law abiding, tax paying American CITIZENS.

Everybody has their own take. I myself have never liked anger/resentment songs. I have 5 middle-aged kids doing well, and 7 of our 12 grandkids are in their 20s and have had good schooling and jobs they like. Their attitude is totally different than this singer, who is only 29 years old. 

I'd have advice to give him, but he won't be needing it now, because he won't (and shouldn't) turn down the money long. Nothing wrong with music as a profession.

Archived