SASS Wire Forum

Got some antibiotics and anti bacterial cream also. It’s right in the bend of my arm! The doc thought it maybe a spider bite. Yikes!

IMG_3393.jpeg

Brown Recluse or Black/Brown Widow bite probably. Good thing you got to the doctor, that looks pretty bad and could have gotten worse REAL quick. A guy I used to work with got bitten by a Recluse and didn't get medical attention...until it was almost too late. Damn near lost his arm due to infection and then Mersa. Keep an eye on that, if it gets any worse...go to the doc or hospital quickly.

Where there is one spider there will be others.  If you think you were bitten at home, call an exterminator.

Watch for an area of puss and or a developing black spot. My last bite turned black and the doc dug out an area the size of a small marble. 

As already stated above....... Proceed with Caution.

Watch is closely and don't hesitate getting further medical attention.

(living in Ohio, it could have been one of them Jurassic Mosquitos that

flew up from Texas for the summer).

..........Widder

Glad you saw a doctor Rye. I have had a couple of nasty spider bites. Very painful for a while. Mine were like what @Michigan Slimdescribed. I got those souvenirs in North Carolina. 

Walmart carries a pesticide in a can called Exterminator. It kills ants, roaches and spiders. This stuff is kicka** on killing crawler things. It’s good stuff to have around. It also kills after it dries. Spray it around doors and windows outside and in your garage and basement. 
I also have electronic pest repellers all through my house, basement and garage. They really do help. 

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Glad you saw a doctor Rye. I have had a couple of nasty spider bites. Very painful for a while. Mine were like what @Michigan Slimdescribed. I got those souvenirs in North Carolina. 

Walmart carries a pesticide in a can called Exterminator. It kills ants, roaches and spiders. This stuff is kicka** on killing crawler things. It’s good stuff to have around. It also kills after it dries. Spray it around doors and windows outside and in your garage and basement. 
I also have electronic pest repellers all through my house, basement and garage. They really do help. 

What Rye needs is something that is Retro-active.

..........Widder

Nice case of cellulitis going there, Bubba. Draw a line around the margins. The antibiotics should cause the cellulitis to shrink away from the lines. If not, you need a different antibiotic. The brown recluse spider can cause a central necrosis of the tissue, like what Michigan Slim referred to.

Untitled.jpg

19 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

I've found that a good, or even not good, whiskey works retroactively.

38 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Rye needs Taxes???:blink:

:P

Dang that sucks Rye, Hope you heal up real soon, those bites can get real nasty real quick!

I was prescribed cephalexin antibiotic pills, 4 a day and an antibiotic cream applied 2-3 times a day. 
Looks like it’s clearing up some snd the swelling is going down.

Thanks for the suggestions.;)

8 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I was prescribed cephalexin antibiotic pills, 4 a day and an antibiotic cream applied 2-3 times a day. 

Wishing the best. Sounds like you got it under control. Keep a close eye on it, I'm sure you will!

Aren't you supposed to take a sharp knife and do a cross cut over the bite and then suck out the poison? LOL

Take care and hopefully it heals quickly.

TM

48 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

Aren't you supposed to take a sharp knife and do a cross cut over the bite and then suck out the poison? LOL

Take care and hopefully it heals quickly.

TM

Only in the movies!!:P

17 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Your doc knew what they were doing. Keflex is a good drug for skin infections.  I would have given you a sugar pill... :lol:

2 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Your doc knew what they were doing. Keflex is a good drug for skin infections.  I would have given you a sugar pill... :lol:

I was going to go to you too!!:o:lol:

My first bite wound up with a huge crater the size of a quarter.
Got over to Kaiser, and doc said, "You're OK"
Asked why he would say that, he said, "It's a brown recluse bite.  You are OK cuz you ain't dead."

The second bite was the size of nickel and the third was the size of a dime.

I found out the little bastard was living in the driver's window well of my vehicle.
We happened to see him pop up, and I stopped at Home Depot and sprayed a whole can of RAID down the window well.

Fixed that problem.

17 hours ago, bgavin said:

I found out the little bastard was living in the driver's window well of my vehicle.
We happened to see him pop up, and I stopped at Home Depot and sprayed a whole can of RAID down the window well.

Fixed that problem.

I was driving my pickup one day early in the morning when all of a sudden a big garden spider appeared right in front of my face hanging from a strand of web. I saw it was a garden spider. I knew it was harmless. I still reacted like my crotch was on fire. :lol:
I rapidly pulled over, jumped out of my truck and started gyrating around trying to get the spider off me.

I heard someone yell “Are you okay?” And I looked up to see this guy standing next to his car smiling and his wife and kids were in the car all looking at me and grinning. 
I told him what happened and he came came up to help look for the spider when I noticed it scoot under my truck on the pavement. 
I stopped leaving the windows cracked at night. :lol:

:D No fricken doubt!! It's the only time I can break dance:lol:

I once worked in an Industrial supply company.  Small service area at the front of a large warehouse.  There was a phonebooth in front of the counter.  They were pretty much obsolete, but cell phones were just starting to appear, so booths and drive up phones were still common.  A couple of jokers who worked behind the counter rigged up a fake spider on monofilament line hidden in the light fixture.  I happened to be in the front the first time they tried it.  The victim was an absolutely enormous guy.  He closed the booth door and dialed his call.  They dropped the spider, and the booth virtually exploded like old cartoons, literally appearing to bulge and rock, dust flying.  The guy exploded out of the booth and out the door never to be seen again in the time I was there.  They were slow learners and tried it on a couple of other occasions.  I only saw one other, a fellow I knew had been in service in Vietnam.  He simply caught it in the air and crushed it.  Nothing I'd have tried.

Clearing up pretty good after 3 days, still a little itchy but the swelling is gone!

IMG_3397.jpeg

A few years ago, I was delivering some cylinders of Aviators Breathing Oxygen To a unit on Davis Monthan AFB here in Tucson. The unit I was delivering to was deployed except for one young Airman who's wife was about to drop a kid. 

He opened the cage where the Oxygen cylinders were stored, and while I started unloading my cylinders off the truck, he started moving the empties out of their storage area. The cage was a simple chain link cage with a sheetmetal roof. The cylinders were stacked in a corner, which was shaded by the roof. 

Now here in Arizona, Black Widows are VERY common, and they LIKE dark corners, and they REALLY like hiding down between gas cylinders. I'd seen them many many times moving cylinders in places like this one. Since this Airman was wearing Air Force Summer Service Casuals, (PT shorts, T shirt and running shoes), I warned him about the Black Widow's habits of hiding in places like that. Also bear in mind, I was rolling the cylinders, while he was just bear hugging them and picking them up to move them. 

Well I got the fulls in there and starting rolling out the empties, and on about the fifth one, sure enough, I found just about the biggest Black Widow I'd seen. I pointed it out to him, telling him that he'd gotten luckey that it didn't get him, since it was just about where his bare leg would've been when he was moving them. His eyes got big, and he actually stepped back when he saw it. Then, him being a Good Millennial, he did just what you'd expect, he pulled out his phone, took a picture of it, and sent it to everybody in his unit.

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

:D No fricken doubt!! It's the only time I can break dance:lol:

or show off your fancy karate moves. LOL

TM

That's not a Black Widow bite, you would have had strong stomach/abdominal cramping, and the bite would not be that red and swollen.

Been unfortunate enough to have been bitten by a brown recluse in NM, on my shin.  My Primary doc of the time said, "No, it's not a brown recluse, just a regular spider bite" when I went next day to see him with bite site red and swollen about like yours.  "No brown recluses here in NM"   I replied, "I know what a BR spider looks like, and this one had the "upside down" fiddle on it's back.  At least until I whacked it with a shoe."  Doc didn't want me to take anything, "Just watch it, if it gets worse, we'll do more."   Two days later, it had a gray halo around the bite as well as being painful and more swollen.  I searched internet, the gray halo is a certain sign of brown recluse bite.  Show him the pictures of several BR bites from the web.  "OKAY, we'll get you into the Infectious Disease clinic.  Call this number..."    Called it right away, explained it all including spider description and halo and open discharging wound, they said "Come in in 4 days for a visit."  When I went in, skin was a growing open wound, center black, painful.   Specialty Doc - "Why the h... were you not in here the day after bite?"  I said, "Your front desk wouldn't let me see you, that's why!"

Anyway, 6 weeks later after cycling through oral, injected and finally IV top-end antibiotics daily, with daily debridement of the wound which continued to grow to about a silver dollar all the way to the bone, they controlled it.   But the lymph system picked up a bunch of the toxin and I still have occasional lymph node burning all way up to the shoulder from that bite.   

Take this bite seriously!    Keep a very close eye on it and with ANY progression, seek really competent care.

good luck, GJ

On 7/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

That's not a Black Widow bite, you would have had strong stomach/abdominal cramping, and the bite would not be that red and swollen.

Been unfortunate enough to have been bitten by a brown recluse in NM, on my shin.  My Primary doc of the time said, "No, it's not a brown recluse, just a regular spider bite" when I went next day to see him with bite site red and swollen about like yours.  "No brown recluses here in NM"   I replied, "I know what a BR spider looks like, and this one had the "upside down" fiddle on it's back.  At least until I whacked it with a shoe."  Doc didn't want me to take anything, "Just watch it, if it gets worse, we'll do more."   Two days later, it had a gray halo around the bite as well as being painful and more swollen.  I searched internet, the gray halo is a certain sign of brown recluse bite.  Show him the pictures of several BR bites from the web.  "OKAY, we'll get you into the Infectious Disease clinic.  Call this number..."    Called it right away, explained it all including spider description and halo and open discharging wound, they said "Come in in 4 days for a visit."  When I went in, skin was a growing open wound, center black, painful.   Specialty Doc - "Why the h... were you not in here the day after bite?"  I said, "Your front desk wouldn't let me see you, that's why!"

Anyway, 6 weeks later after cycling through oral, injected and finally IV top-end antibiotics daily, with daily debridement of the wound which continued to grow to about a silver dollar all the way to the bone, they controlled it.   But the lymph system picked up a bunch of the toxin and I still have occasional lymph node burning all way up to the shoulder from that bite.   

Take this bite seriously!    Keep a very close eye on it and with ANY progression, seek really competent care.

good luck, GJ

"No Brown Recluses Here...."

That sounds like the put off a fellow CAS member here in Ontario, Canada got when he went to the Doctors and told them he was sure he had been bitten by a tick and had Lyme.

"OH NO! No Lyme here!"

After being sick for months, off work (and missing the better part of two years CAS) he went to the US and had tests run, after researching Lyme on line..

Yep 9 or 10 of the Lyme markers in his blood.

His treatment has been on-going for a long time and he still isn't back to where he was.

It is NOW admitted Lyme is in Ontario.

So far so good with spiders, however I see lots of these and have caught two in the house in the last few days.

I carry a UV flashlight when walking Custer at night to keep him from stepping on one.

image.png.e6ea68e82668b7fdd3f8af214b69ff37.png

Archived