SASS Wire Forum

Price Gouging - The new American Way - primers, cars, etc…

Pat Riot

I am getting damn sick and tired of the price gouging on lots of things at stores, online and  elsewhere. 
I got a magnanimously friendly email from Midway yesterday touting the new primers in stock. Only $85 to $90 per thousand! Well aren’t they special?!

Brownells $80-$110 for primers.

Powder Valley $95

Midsouth $90-$95

And it goes on…
Yet when I go on Ammo Seek I find smaller businesses here in the US selling the same primers at around $60-$65 for the same American brands of primers. 

Car Sales- I have been following prices on trucks from the Big 3 as well as Toyota and Nissan. The only maker that has their trucks priced fairly based on pre CoVid pricing is Toyota.
“Because of the lack of chips” the other have increased MSRPs in the past couple of years by $10,000-$20,000 and more. AND on top of that Dealerships are adding markups to the MSRPs upwards of $10,000 and more. Dodge and Jeep are the biggest crooks these days. 

I have been formulating a letter to send to the Idiot in Chief and our so-called Congressional Representatives. It seems they don’t give a damn and obviously neither do these businesses and corporations. 
On one hand you have “shrink-flation”, a term deserving of a throat punch, and on the other we have corporations and businesses price gouging to add to the inflation. But what I think is even sadder, the American people just going along with this crap. 
I saw a man and woman a while back driving their brand new Jeep Gladiator that they paid $60,000 for. I asked if they realized the MSRP was actually just under $40k for that Jeep. Their response “Yeah, but what’re you gonna do? We wanted it.”

Either I have become retarded or the rest of the country has. I am not sure, but what I am sure of is we are getting screwed and our politicians don’t seem to give a damn. 

Sorry for the rant…No I’m not. Scratch that. 

I agree with everything you said 100%! The guvmint is not going to do anything about it so writing a letter to FJB and the reps will only make you feel better.

I guess if we ALL did that though it might cause them to get their heads outta their behinds!! :angry:

8 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Just out of curiosity, what do y'all think the government could do about it?

Or should they be involved at all?   I'm inclined to say no, regardless of party.

1 minute ago, Chantry said:

Or should they be involved at all?   I'm inclined to say no, regardless of party.

I wholeheartedly agree; I was just curious what Mr. Riot and Mr. Miles thought could or should be done.

18 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

7 minutes ago, Chantry said:

5 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I wholeheartedly agree; I was just curious what Mr. Riot and Mr. Miles thought could or should be done.

Nothing if no one says anything. Just like it is now. 

It’s obvious the American people aren’t doing anything with their buying habits. 

Who’s to say nothing will happen if letters or emails are written or sent? 

Just now, Pat Riot said:

Nothing if no one says anything. Just like it is now. 

It’s obvious the American people aren’t doing anything with their buying habits. 

Who’s to say nothing will happen if letters or emails are written or sent? 

That's not what I'm asking. Writing letters to government officials is a great thing. 

What I'm asking is what law do you think the government could/should pass to fix this? What could/should the government do to stop price gouging?

Years ago, maybe to this day, Wisconsin had Fair Trade laws that fixed the margins that retail businesses could charge on new merchandise.  Obviously private sales and used item prices could not be realistically managed.  Seemed to work.

For one, highlight it and look into it. Often, exposure causes the desired effect. Companies do not like Uncle Sam looking into their business practices. I wouldn’t want or expect price controls, but I do want the issue looked into. 
It’s one thing to follow supply and demand pricing. It’s another to use supply issues as an excuse to increase prices when the manufacturer sets a recommended price. 
Regarding primers and the like, education of the niche buying community will help, just like in my original post. 
How many here realize that our esteemed suppliers of components we use often are keeping prices high because they can? There are no electronics in primers and these suppliers don’t have to do anything to make the products. They just receive and sell them. 

10 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

That's not what I'm asking. Writing letters to government officials is a great thing. 

What I'm asking is what law do you think the government could/should pass to fix this? What could/should the government do to stop price gouging?

See above. I forgot to quote you in my response. 

50 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Well for one, drill here for oil !!

IMO, the government started this whole "price gouging" epidemic. Shutting down the entire country for a half year and ruining the economy was the beginning of it.

Companies then started to blame 'supply chain issues' and products begin to become short in supply and prices rose. There is no 'supply chain issues' now, yet companies and businesses still use that worn out excuse to keep prices inflated. The real issue is corporate greed. They found out that people will pay whatever price they assign to products and profit levels are ever increasing.

In addition, companies like McDonalds (for example) are paying $15 per hour to employees, that don't want to work or care about their work, to slap burgers and get your order wrong.

In some cases, prices have increased 200 - 300% over the last 2.5 years and show no signs of abating...after all, when's the last time anyone saw prices come down? When prices stay inflated for so long, people tend to think that it's the new normal and it looks like it is.

Petitioning the government won't do anything. They don't give a s*** about "the people", never have and never will...after all, they started this crap to begin with.

I'm with Pat, I'm sick of all of the price gouging going on. 

Don't even get me started on the lazy, don't give a s*** employees.

I always look at it as "we" the consumers of these inflated items, continue to pay the asking prices and it adds to keeping prices up there. 

Example- I know 3 people, a friend and niece and her husband. All 3 wanted new vehicles, had to have them. New Ford Maverick, which are in short supply I hear, but they paid 6500.00 above sticker price. Ram pickup, paid 14,600.00 above sticker, had to have it. Friend bought a new Cadillac in which not everything was operational yet because of short supply of components, but wanted a new car. Said they paid above sticker because it was the only Model Dealer had and now waiting as parts come in to make items work, (folding mirror, lane departure warning, etc.).

As to Primers, I have to ask, how many one has already and at what point does one pay the high prices. Just talking at matches, I hear some have 20 to 30,000 already but will buy more at todays prices, (I heard one guy saying he has over 60,000 primers, true or not, that's a lot of primers). Why not step back, already it seems every week I'm getting a notice primers are in, yet the 90 to 110.00 prices, I can wait. I say just step back and let dealers start seeing a slow down and surely prices will come down again.

We bought a new Yamaha Jet Ski this year from a honest local dealer, because of short supply, I see on the internet people paying up to 12,000.00 more for same Model we have. Shop around, ask yourself do I really want to pay the price asking or wait?

I paid a little too much for our current everyday vehicle because I was out on the road, more than a thousand miles from home when the vehicle we were driving suffered a catastrophic engine failure.

Schoolmarm had just retired, was recovering from major cancer problems, and we’d just embarked upon her “Bucket List” trip.

It’s been a great vehicle and still going strong, although it’s beginning to show its age a little.  We had discussed buying a new one several times over the seven years that we’ve owned it, but with prices going the way they are and having slightly curtailed our travel lately, along with my ability to repair and maintain my vehicles, it’s unlikely that we’ll buy another one for the foreseeable future.

I’m well stocked with reloading supplies and I DON’T have to have any new new guns or other equipment immediately. I have no intention of supporting the exorbitant prices that some suppliers are charging for everything from soup to suit clothes.

The price of essentials has crept up and up.  One or two items get their prices jacked up and people squawk, but they keep on buying them and as soon as the uproar starts to fade, something else sees an increase! 

When beef prices took a jump, I cut back on buying beef.  When eggs went up, I stopped buying so many.  

The only thing I kept buying when the prices went up was necessary medications and I got my doctors to help me with samples that the drug company reps gave them.

Others here have pointed out that the buying public is as responsible for higher prices as anyone!  We must either refuse to pay the excessive prices and cut back on those things that we can use more sparingly, or surrender to the price gougers!

It might not be the most pleasant or comfortable thing to do, but unless and until we do, nothing is likely to change.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

“Because of the lack of chips” the other have increased MSRPs in the past couple of years by $10,000-$20,000 and more. AND on top of that Dealerships are adding markups to the MSRPs upwards of $10,000 and more. Dodge and Jeep are the biggest crooks these days. 

I saw a man and woman a while back driving their brand new Jeep Gladiator that they paid $60,000 for. I asked if they realized the MSRP was actually just under $40k for that Jeep. Their response “Yeah, but what’re you gonna do? We wanted it.”

Sorry for the rant…No I’m not. Scratch that. 

Dodge has effectively Bud lighted itself after this year and its a dealers will pay the price next year if they survive. so i figure some are making $$ while they can

Dodge will cease to produce the top models Charger and Challenger after 2023 they will be replaced with the Hornet SUV and the only performance car they will make is now a EV  price est appx 85-100k 

Hornet

be001078-3245-4574-8c34-19b90c451b48-DodgeHornet_gt-fr3-4.jpg

Charger EV 

CN022_049DG.jpg

As far as powder and primers, especially primers, who would have thought that when it first became an issue that it would still be where it is today?  It would have been very easy for someone who  loads and shoots 5 or 10 thousand rounds a year and had 50,000+ primers on hand to sell 30,000 at the very high prices we were seeing at one time. Figuring he'd still have a couple year supply and prices would be back to normal by now for  sure. Wrong!  

9 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I've told people for years that if you write a letter you won't change anything, but id several hundred thousand people do it may not change their minds, but it might change their vote.

They will do whatever it takes to keep from losing their jobs.  If you endanger their job they might be inclined to make you happy.

And join the NRA!  It's the big boogy man in their world and it only costs about a meal for two at a good restaurant.  You can also join any other progun group you want.  It all helps.

12 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Stop printing fiat currency fueled by debt and distributed thru massive spending sprees and giveaway programs.

7 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

“People look to the government to solve their problems, when government IS the problem.”   - Ronald Reagan

this is the truth , we need less laws - we need old laws sunsetted and we need the to stop spending our money / stop printing money , quit forgiving debts - they agreed to borrow and pay it back , let it be so , 

About all the government maybe could do, would be to investigate to try and determine if there is any collusion with price fixing, by the industry.

In other words, is there really any competition, in the industry in question. 

If all it is, is greed, and taking advantage of the situation, it may be unethical, but likely not illegal.

Greed, and taking advantage of the situation, will be addressed in a higher court, someday. If I were them, I would be more worried about that court of justice, than any court in the here and now. Knowing that, I would say live and do business accordingly. 

There is a mostly ignored law of economics that I will paraphrase. It states that if you put your customer first, with a high quality product, at a reasonable price, then the money will be there. However, if you put money first, the customer will eventually go elsewhere. 

Trust, and loyalty, are never given. They are always earned. It is very difficult to get trust, and loyalty, and it takes time. But it can be lost in a second, never to be fully regained.

As a pastor once told me...you can go to hell for stealing, same as you can for killing.  

Most states have "consumer fraud" laws that are on the books, and are enforced by their Attorney General.

A few that I've seen have online forms you can fill out if you feel a fraudulent act has affected you.

The AG in your state will actually contact the seller and have them address your complaint.

That, along with a copy of your complaint cc'ed to a legislator might get the attention of a less than honest merchant. 

Through no fault of mine my 2007 Silverado HD was totaled recently.  Now I’m looking for a replacement.   What a costly nightmares.  Not sure how this will work out but the inflated prices on 3/4 ton pickups is disturbing…Maybe I’ll just ride my horse more…..

I think a lot of these crazy prices are going to fix themselves in a couple of years, most states are writing checks their ass’s can’t cover, Biden and the fed’s are leading the pack. The top 10% in the business world are giving themselves huge chunks of their company’s profits and todays working class are sitting at home on their ass in record numbers. I hate to say it but most of what I see today is lazy and greedy and that combo mixes about as well as oil and water, something’s gotta give…… but it’s gonna hurt

11 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

I think a lot of these crazy prices are going to fix themselves in a couple of years,

something’s gotta give…… but it’s gonna hurt

Hopefully it won't take a couple years. A couple months ago I was talking to a guy from the outfit that manages my 401K, and he said these things usually only last about 2 years. It's been about that long, so I HOPE that it'll start straightening up soon, 'cause it ALREADY hurts.

Archived