SASS Wire Forum

Crossdraw shooters

I always draw my crossdraw first for our CAS shoots. I do it because if we start with the pistol I can stand sideways and not have to shuffle.

However my question is: In a REAL gunfight, ya know the Hollywood type of street showdown (c'mon let's have a little fun here just pretend it existed)

Do you think you're faster with your crossdraw or are you faster on the draw with your strong side?:)

Although I don’t shoot a crossdraw any more. If I was in a Hollywood showdown I would draw the crossdraw simply because if you start with your body turned you present a narrower target to your opponent 

I prefer to start with my crossdraw gun in matches. If I were to get into a “contest” on drawing, firing and hitting faster I do think I would go for my strong side gun first. 

To be honest, I would wear my strong side gun, butt forward and do a cavalry draw.  You would be surprised at how fast it actually can be with practice!  Should I be disabled, I could always reach across with my "weak side" hand.  I don't do this in SASS matches, as I would be accused of "sweeping myself", which does NOT happen!

Stay well, Pards!

Inna "real" fight, they'd both come up at spazactly the same time.  Both sides are strong sides and I are equally slow with both.  Gunfighters ROCK!!

Hi Rye!!  How are ya??

15 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Although I don’t shoot a crossdraw any more. If I was in a Hollywood showdown I would draw the crossdraw simply because if you start with your body turned you present a narrower target to your opponent 

Some folks might not.  :P  :lol:

As to the original question.  I don't use cross draw anymore.  Never really did favor it, but I was pretty good with a twist draw with both guns carried butt forward.  Easier to use when sitting, too.

Truth be told, If I thought I needed a gun or guns for a fight it would be strong side, definitely, and the gun would be a Glock. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Inna "real" fight, they'd both come up at spazactly the same time.  Both sides are strong sides and I are equally slow with both.  Gunfighters ROCK!!

Hi Rye!!  How are ya??

Hangin' in there, how's it going by you??? Hope all is well!;)

12 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Skul Knumb BORED!!  It's so bad I'm gonna go down and clean up my workbench. :ph34r:

Hang in there!! I'm so bored I tuned my own piano!!!:lol:

In SASS, I always draw my crossdraw first. If it was a Hollywood style gunfight, I'd still draw my crossdraw first as that's what I'm used to.

In Hollywood, they always knew when they were going to be in a gunfight....therefore, with me, there would be no gunfight as I would just shoot them before it got that far. Hell with fighting fair. Fighting fair is for the young, dumb and soon to be dead. 

When I stepped into the time machine and traveled 140 years into the future, people were using something called appendix carry with some odd caliber they referred to as a 9mm NATO - they loaded their pistols by sticking all the bullets in a little box and then jammin' the box up into the handle of the pistol - they shot purty fast - but most of them didnt hit shit for all the noise they was making...

...all of the holsters seemed to be made from some odd looking material - but it sure wasnt leather...

...when I returned to 1880 I realized that the silly appendix carry the were using must have been the new fangled version of a crossdraw,

I'm gonna stick with my crossdraw as my first choice for now.  At least until someone invents that new holster material and those funny looking black pistols.

I always beat Matt Dillon in the opening of Gunsmoke with my crossdraw. I’m actually about a 1/2 second slower with my strong side!:)

20 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I always draw my crossdraw first for our CAS shoots. I do it because if we start with the pistol I can stand sideways and not have to shuffle.

However my question is: In a REAL gunfight, ya know the Hollywood type of street showdown (c'mon let's have a little fun here just pretend it existed)

Do you think you're faster with your crossdraw or are you faster on the draw with your strong side?:)

I think the quick draw guys would be using a cross draw holster if it was faster . Unless it’s a rules reason they use strong side 

3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I think the quick draw guys would be using a cross draw holster if it was faster . Unless it’s a rules reason they use strong side 

That’s totally different, no live ammo and fanning a special gun! They wouldn’t stand a chance with a real gun with real ammunition!

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s totally different, no live ammo and fanning a special gun! They wouldn’t stand a chance with a real gun with real ammunition!

I don’t see why they can’t get one shot off , for one shot recoil shouldn’t matter, and they seem to be able to hit a chest size target fairly reliably 

11 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I don’t see why they can’t get one shot off , for one shot recoil shouldn’t matter, and they seem to be able to hit a chest size target fairly reliably 

Not without a special fanning hammer! I don’t think they’d be so accurate or fast with a regular revolver like the ones we use. Have you seen their modified guns ??
Did you ever read what Wyatt Earp said about guys that fan their guns?? :P

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Not without a special fanning hammer! I don’t think they’d be so accurate or fast with a regular revolver like the ones we use. Have you seen their modified guns ??
Did you ever read what Wyatt Earp said about guys that fan their guns?? :P

Well if we’re talking movies I’ve seen it . And if we’re talking real life I’ve seen a fast draw guy hit a target with a wax bullet in under 3/4’s of a second . I understand the safety concerns on a range . But I don’t see why someone capable of that couldn’t do it with a live round in their gun rather than a wax bullet . The fast draw guys are at common self defense ranges . A very fast draw in IDPA is a little over a second. I think it was quick Cal I saw in a video making hits in under half a second 

Back in the 70s it was common for cops to use crossdraw holsters. l think I have a pic of mine somewhere. Not sure why it was a thing but 

I heard it was for faster draw while in the vehicle. I once saw a drunk on the beach do a half ass karate kick at a deputy. His foot happened to hit the butt of the grips and knocked the gun 6 feet in the air. Landed in the sand. 
Deputy was not amused..

36 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Well if we’re talking movies I’ve seen it . And if we’re talking real life I’ve seen a fast draw guy hit a target with a wax bullet in under 3/4’s of a second . I understand the safety concerns on a range . But I don’t see why someone capable of that couldn’t do it with a live round in their gun rather than a wax bullet . The fast draw guys are at common self defense ranges . A very fast draw in IDPA is a little over a second. I think it was quick Cal I saw in a video making hits in under half a second 

I disagree but that’s okay whatever you want to think but I’d never put my money on a “fast draw “ guy with a modified revolver shooting blanks at a balloon !

2 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

- they shot purty fast - but most of them didnt hit shit for all the noise they was making...

Gawd, ain't that the truth! I'm really getting tired of online videos where some YouTube hotshot mag-dumps into a rubber human dummy at five feet then brags about how accurate the gun is. I think the last time I actually saw someone shooting at 25 yards they were using a rifle. :huh:

16 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I disagree but that’s okay whatever you want to think but I’d never put my money on a “fast draw “ guy with a modified revolver shooting blanks at a balloon !

Bob Mundun used to get some good hits . Besides this is fantasy land . I think most guys would use a shotgun or a rifle in real life , I just think it’s hard to deny how fast the cowboy quick draw guys are . And since nobody is going to volunteer to test it , competition Is the only way to judge speed 

I don’t know how accurate the timers were back then but it was said that Bill Jordan could draw and hit a target in a little over a 1/4 sec , From a strong side holster . Every study I’ve every read has said in most situations a strong side holster with very little drop is about as fast as it gets . Today allot of concealed carry instructors would probably argue appendix 

Back when I was REALLY trying to compete and when I was REALLY healthy, we timed my draw from crossdraw and strong side. I think I remember being  0.70 seconds faster from the crossdraw.  From the crossdraw, I was able to engage the target faster because I didn’t have to rotate the pistol as far and didn’t have to raise my arm as far if I was using the sights.  I use a crossdraw holster, (canted for use as a crossdraw) for my strong side holster. Shooting Outlaw, one gets used to not using sights. Before there was an Outlaw category, I would often fully acquire the sights on the second shot if the target was close.

In the real world, the fast draw is unlikely to be of any useful advantage.  Acquiring cover and finding a position of advantage are more important.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!!

On 5/4/2020 at 12:21 PM, Cypress Sun said:

In SASS, I always draw my crossdraw first. If it was a Hollywood style gunfight, I'd still draw my crossdraw first as that's what I'm used to.

In Hollywood, they always knew when they were going to be in a gunfight....therefore, with me, there would be no gunfight as I would just shoot them before it got that far. Hell with fighting fair. Fighting fair is for the young, dumb and soon to be dead. 

A fair fight is where I get a dozen friends to catch the guy, beat him to a pulp, and take his guns before I even draw mine.....or I get to ambush the guy and back shooting is certainly acceptable.  If it's a real gun fight there are no rules, no boundaries or courts,  no time limits or timers, no referees or score keepers, no trophies, no second chances, and no second place "winners".

Archived