SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 VS Winchester 1892

Rooster Ron Wayne

I have never hid the fact I'm a 92 Man myself. 

I Never much cared for The Marlin. 

Here is a Comparison of the two actions at work loading ammo.

After having both I will take the Marlin over the 92 just for simplicity’s sake. The Marlin isn’t cartridge length sensitive, at least my .357/.38 one isn’t. To be fair my 92 was a Rossi. 

I bought my 1894CB entirely on the KISS principle.
After a lifetime working in highly complex systems, I so value KISS because it is inherently more reliable.
My particular brand of luck is, "If something can go wrong at a match... it will."

I went marlin as there are several good articles on slicking it up.   Also talked to Widder and have been happy with how my remlin turned out.  A late 2016 build.   Addition of spring kit, firing pin, some polishing and it’s ready to go.  Added a pc of tool steel on the lifter just in case.  

After having both I will take the Marlin over the 92 just for simplicity’s sake. The Marlin isn’t cartridge length sensitive, at least my .357/.38 one isn’t. To be fair my 92 was a Rossi. 

I too have owned both and I hated the  Jamomatic I ment Marlin  .

Also I Personally think the Winchester is a Much sleeker  rifle then the Jamlin I meen Marlin  .

Winchester has always built a Sexier rifle then the Remajamic I was trying to say Marlin .

:o :) :D :lol: :P

PS. Its all just in fun dont take it personally

Just because your Marlin is second best . :rolleyes: 

I too have owned both and I hated the  Jamomatic I ment Marlin  .

Also I Personally think the Winchester is a Much sleeker  rifle then the Jamlin I meen Marlin  .

Winchester has always built a Sexier rifle then the Remajamic I was trying to say Marlin .

:o :) :D :lol: :P

PS. Its all just in fun dont take it personally

Just because your Marlin is second best . :rolleyes: 

:P :D

Both guns are actually nice I just prefer the Marlin. 

I don't ever remember shooting a stage where I had to position the rifle upside down. Or, where I had to lay upside down on the firing line.  Maybe the clubs where I shoot write boring stages.........:D:D:D

Something I've read numerous places, and always took for gospel, was that a minor modification had to be made for the Rifleman's rifle and Josh Randall's pistol. During the spin cock, when the lever is all the way open, and the cartridge is ready to be shoved into the chamber, the gun is upside down. And since it is open top, the cartridge would fall out.

But he worked that gun holding it upside down, and the cartridge did not fall out. It actually fed correctly.

Now I need to make me some dummy ammo, and spin my 92.

I be curious.

In the Rifleman's opening scene he shoots like 12 or 13 rounds, spins the gun around, which would cock the hammer but if you notice the hammer is down! Shouldn't it be back in the cocked position? I know he then loads one and give you that mean look of his!:o

In the Rifleman's opening scene he shoots like 12 or 13 rounds, spins the gun around, which would cock the hammer but if you notice the hammer is down! Shouldn't it be back in the cocked position? I know he then loads one and give you that mean look of his!:o

His hammer should be DOWN because he has his 'trigger trip' engaged on his lever.

If it have been disengaged, then yes, the hammer would have stayed cocked.

..........Widder

While Mr. Connors was apparently able to actually work the gun that fast, the production company was afraid that he would get his finger under the trigger and stab himself, which would put the show on hold for a while.

So they had a hole drilled in the lever, and a set screw added. When the set screw was turned in, as the lever closed the screw tripped the trigger.

images.jpg.93229d23853b9ccb13c200d433577de2.jpg

Since he was doing the rapid fire thing in that thing SCENE, the screw would be turned in, so when he spun the rifle to eject the last empty, when the lever closed it would drop the hammer on the empty chamber.

The upside-down demonstration was interesting.  I’m surprised no one has mentioned how that could be important down under in Australia!  ;)

Fords and chevys again. I personally prefer the 92 cause that's what I grew up with.

I'm a Dodge Fan .

And a  92 Man .

Jamlins will get you stuck .

Kinda like a Ford Truck .

Chevys dont run upside down .

Like Remlins things falls out on the ground .

It's kind of a Jeep thing, Jamomatics uers cant under stand .

The 92 works in every Positions. 

Unlike the Marlin  brand !

:o :huh: :wacko: :D :P

Fords and chevys again. I personally prefer the 92 cause that's what I grew up with.

This is probably the reason most of us have a preferred choice.   Its the same reason

I shoot the Marlin.

Merry Christmas, Pards.

..........Widder  (Walkin In A Widder Wonderland)

Thank you all it's been a lot of fun .

I hope you all enjoy what ever you shoot. 

Marry Christmas to you all .

PS.

Be a real Cowboy like on TV and shoot a 92 lol 

PS.

Be a real Cowboy like on TV and shoot a 92 lol 

You mean like one of them 100 round types..... :D

The kind that makes a particular 'Pa-Zing' sound when the bullet hits the rocks..... :lol:

..........Widder

You mean like one of them 100 round types..... :D

The kind that makes a particular 'Pa-Zing' sound when the bullet hits the rocks..... :lol:

..........Widder

I prefer the ones that sound like "pa-TOWWWWW"

I loved the Marlin until I was a cowboy riding at full speed on my horse, shooting as I rode at wily shifty enemies and big game, and then I realized the Canadian guy was right. So I quit doing that and eventually had to sell the horse. But I kept the Marlin.

image.png

I guess if the stage description specifies shooting a sweep upside down I'll have a problem.

Edit to add -- okay, I'll have ONE MORE problem.

You think you will have a problem. 

Wait till one of them Toggle link guys try shooting upside down lol

:P

By the way, I can't figure out how that weird secondary image post shows up, or how to get rid of it, try as I might...

Turn your monitor upside down and shake it.

Archived