SASS Wire Forum

Kilt, anyone?

So here’s the deal: a friend and I both shoot Classic Cowboy. I usually dress pretty flashy, while he is usually about as monochromatic as it is possible to dress. His favorite color is brown, and the only deviation I think I’ve ever seen him make from that is a white shirt. His son says that he looks like a, uhm, well you get the idea. This past summer while sitting in the shade after a match, one of us, I’m not sure which, came up with the idea of buying kilts to wear as shooting apparel. After looking closely at the rules regarding costuming requirements for CC, I see nothing saying that one has to wear pants of any kind. So why not a kilt? Has anybody ever done this in CC? How about other categories? After all, there were surely some kilted Scots in the Old West, weren’t there?

On the other hand, I’m not sure that I’m brave enough to try rocking a kilt. It seemed like a good idea after a couple of beers, though...

Charlie,

One unwritten rule is that you MUST have the legs for it! :o:P

2018_10_14_07_43_43.thumb.png.3dff0c322467d7d9e5e291262feda31b.png

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Charlie,

One unwritten rule is that you MUST have the legs for it! :o:P

2018_10_14_07_43_43.thumb.png.3dff0c322467d7d9e5e291262feda31b.png

Well, SHE has the legs for it!

I assume regimental is referring to the old story about either a princess or queen inspecting the highland regulars.  She is said it have asked one of them "What's worn under your kilt?"  To which he replied, "Nothing ma'am, it's all in perfect working order"  Wish i could find that story again to fill in the name. 

I've worn a kilt for cowboy shooting, but I don't shoot classic or B western, so I've never had to deal with those rules.  I had some button holes sewed into my kilt for the tie downs on the holsters.  Then I got new holsters that don't need to be tied down, so I never actually used them. 

Just curious. Why would you think a kilt would be okay in “Classic Cowboy”?

This thread should be on the Wire. :rolleyes::P:D:lol:

I have always wanted to say that here. Bwah-Haaaa-hah-hahahahahaaaaa

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just curious. Why would you think a kilt would be okay in “Classic Cowboy”?

Like I said, I can’t find anything in the CC rules that says that pants are required! :D

Just now, Major Crimes said:

Aparently you have to look like this to wear a kilt:blush:

Only if you wear it without a shirt! A good shirt can cover up a multitude of faults! :D

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This thread should be on the Wire

2 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Like I said, I can’t find anything in the CC rules that says that pants are required! :D

True but I if you have this moved to the wire the discussion will be at least 10 pages long. :D

Kilts are supercool.  Especially if you have a Scottish surname or alias.  Classic cowboy, though?  I dunno.  The steampunkers wear them.  And military costume categories.  Which reminds me re the young lady pictured previously - women are not allowed kilts.  Women may wear kilted skirts.  It's apparently a military thing.

5 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

So here’s the deal: a friend and I both shoot Classic Cowboy. I usually dress pretty flashy, while he is usually about as monochromatic as it is possible to dress. His favorite color is brown, and the only deviation I think I’ve ever seen him make from that is a white shirt. His son says that he looks like a, uhm, well you get the idea. This past summer while sitting in the shade after a match, one of us, I’m not sure which, came up with the idea of buying kilts to wear as shooting apparel. After looking closely at the rules regarding costuming requirements for CC, I see nothing saying that one has to wear pants of any kind. So why not a kilt? Has anybody ever done this in CC? How about other categories? After all, there were surely some kilted Scots in the Old West, weren’t there?

On the other hand, I’m not sure that I’m brave enough to try rocking a kilt. It seemed like a good idea after a couple of beers, though...

Check the cost before you commit.  I priced out a Taylor clan tartan with all the trimmings at about $2800.00... and that's been a few years back.

Affordablekilts.com has my clan tartan in an 8 yard heavyweight wool blend for $149.99. All I would need is the kilt, and maybe the tall socks...

You could just wear a plaid shirt...maybe something like this in the photo but with some brogans istead of strapped loafers. The white socks would add a nice touch. :P

catholic-school-girls-coming-out-of-chur

7 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

...and people wonder why the rule book has doubled in size in 20 years and why there are 2 RO manuals...

I say this jokingly but it is true.

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Check the cost before you commit.  I priced out a Taylor clan tartan with all the trimmings at about $2800.00... and that's been a few years back.

The expense of a good one is the only thing holding me back. 

I, of course, look like the three gentlemen given as illustration.

(In my dreams and after sufficient application of Jameson)

When I was in college I rented a cameron clan outfit (Taylors are sept to clan Cameron) to wear to fraternity ball.  One of the brothers' fiancees asked me what a Scot wore under his kilt.  In my best Scottish brogue, and with a huge grin, I answered:

"A proper lass would na ask.... and a naughty lass would na haffta."

I had no idea that a human could blush that hard without passing out.  Nearly seventeen years later they were at a reunion and she took one look at me and began to blush all over again.

I would not wear my Kilt to a shoot as the BP sparks might burn holes in it, and I paid too much for it. Clan Lamont, with military pleats. Weighs about 6 lbs, the real deal. But I sure as heck did not pay 2800.00 for it, that is ridiculous.

5 hours ago, Shotgun Clay said:

But not if you decide to go commando.

Commando is the term you Sassenach use for Regimental.

"Up The Camerons Highlanders! The Duke of Edinburgh's Own!

ADVANCE!

8 hours ago, Noz said:

The expense of a good one is the only thing holding me back. 

I, of course, look like the three gentlemen given as illustration.

(In my dreams and after sufficient application of Jameson)

Some of us look like the three combined.

24 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Some of us look like the three combined.

Don't have a six pack, but I have gotten rid of my keg...

And I Definitely don't have the legs for a kilt.

Archived