Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Kilt, anyone?


Recommended Posts

So here’s the deal: a friend and I both shoot Classic Cowboy. I usually dress pretty flashy, while he is usually about as monochromatic as it is possible to dress. His favorite color is brown, and the only deviation I think I’ve ever seen him make from that is a white shirt. His son says that he looks like a, uhm, well you get the idea. This past summer while sitting in the shade after a match, one of us, I’m not sure which, came up with the idea of buying kilts to wear as shooting apparel. After looking closely at the rules regarding costuming requirements for CC, I see nothing saying that one has to wear pants of any kind. So why not a kilt? Has anybody ever done this in CC? How about other categories? After all, there were surely some kilted Scots in the Old West, weren’t there?

 

On the other hand, I’m not sure that I’m brave enough to try rocking a kilt. It seemed like a good idea after a couple of beers, though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charlie,

    One unwritten rule is that you MUST have the legs for it! :o:P

2018_10_14_07_43_43.thumb.png.3dff0c322467d7d9e5e291262feda31b.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Charlie,

    One unwritten rule is that you MUST have the legs for it! :o:P

2018_10_14_07_43_43.thumb.png.3dff0c322467d7d9e5e291262feda31b.png

Well, SHE has the legs for it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I assume regimental is referring to the old story about either a princess or queen inspecting the highland regulars.  She is said it have asked one of them "What's worn under your kilt?"  To which he replied, "Nothing ma'am, it's all in perfect working order"  Wish i could find that story again to fill in the name. 

 

I've worn a kilt for cowboy shooting, but I don't shoot classic or B western, so I've never had to deal with those rules.  I had some button holes sewed into my kilt for the tie downs on the holsters.  Then I got new holsters that don't need to be tied down, so I never actually used them. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just curious. Why would you think a kilt would be okay in “Classic Cowboy”?

 

This thread should be on the Wire. :rolleyes::P:D:lol:

 

 

I have always wanted to say that here. Bwah-Haaaa-hah-hahahahahaaaaa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just curious. Why would you think a kilt would be okay in “Classic Cowboy”?

 

 

 

Like I said, I can’t find anything in the CC rules that says that pants are required! :D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Major Crimes said:

Aparently you have to look like this to wear a kilt:blush:

 

 

 

Only if you wear it without a shirt! A good shirt can cover up a multitude of faults! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This thread should be on the Wire

 

2 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

 

Like I said, I can’t find anything in the CC rules that says that pants are required! :D

 

True but I if you have this moved to the wire the discussion will be at least 10 pages long. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which is why I put it here! :P

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kilts are supercool.  Especially if you have a Scottish surname or alias.  Classic cowboy, though?  I dunno.  The steampunkers wear them.  And military costume categories.  Which reminds me re the young lady pictured previously - women are not allowed kilts.  Women may wear kilted skirts.  It's apparently a military thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

So here’s the deal: a friend and I both shoot Classic Cowboy. I usually dress pretty flashy, while he is usually about as monochromatic as it is possible to dress. His favorite color is brown, and the only deviation I think I’ve ever seen him make from that is a white shirt. His son says that he looks like a, uhm, well you get the idea. This past summer while sitting in the shade after a match, one of us, I’m not sure which, came up with the idea of buying kilts to wear as shooting apparel. After looking closely at the rules regarding costuming requirements for CC, I see nothing saying that one has to wear pants of any kind. So why not a kilt? Has anybody ever done this in CC? How about other categories? After all, there were surely some kilted Scots in the Old West, weren’t there?

 

On the other hand, I’m not sure that I’m brave enough to try rocking a kilt. It seemed like a good idea after a couple of beers, though...

Check the cost before you commit.  I priced out a Taylor clan tartan with all the trimmings at about $2800.00... and that's been a few years back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Affordablekilts.com has my clan tartan in an 8 yard heavyweight wool blend for $149.99. All I would need is the kilt, and maybe the tall socks...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

 

Like I said, I can’t find anything in the CC rules that says that pants are required! :D

 

...and people wonder why the rule book has doubled in size in 20 years and why there are 2 RO manuals...

 

I say this jokingly but it is true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Check the cost before you commit.  I priced out a Taylor clan tartan with all the trimmings at about $2800.00... and that's been a few years back.

The expense of a good one is the only thing holding me back. 

I, of course, look like the three gentlemen given as illustration.

(In my dreams and after sufficient application of Jameson)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was in college I rented a cameron clan outfit (Taylors are sept to clan Cameron) to wear to fraternity ball.  One of the brothers' fiancees asked me what a Scot wore under his kilt.  In my best Scottish brogue, and with a huge grin, I answered:

 

"A proper lass would na ask.... and a naughty lass would na haffta."

 

I had no idea that a human could blush that hard without passing out.  Nearly seventeen years later they were at a reunion and she took one look at me and began to blush all over again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would not wear my Kilt to a shoot as the BP sparks might burn holes in it, and I paid too much for it. Clan Lamont, with military pleats. Weighs about 6 lbs, the real deal. But I sure as heck did not pay 2800.00 for it, that is ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Shotgun Clay said:

 But not if you decide to go commando.

 

Commando is the term you Sassenach use for Regimental.

"Up The Camerons Highlanders! The Duke of Edinburgh's Own!

ADVANCE!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Noz said:

The expense of a good one is the only thing holding me back. 

I, of course, look like the three gentlemen given as illustration.

(In my dreams and after sufficient application of Jameson)

Some of us look like the three combined.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Some of us look like the three combined.

Don't have a six pack, but I have gotten rid of my keg...

And I Definitely don't have the legs for a kilt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.