SASS Wire Forum

SASS Legal Long Guns???

The Outlaw Travis James

I have been looking around the interwebs tirelessly over the past few months looking for affordable, yet usable (an oxymoron in this day age, I know) long guns for CAS. But I cannot seem to be able to find much under $800-900 used for the rifles. 

I know that a list probably exists somewhere of typical SASS legal long guns but I just can't seem to find it.  I am aware that this is probably an obnoxious question to the old timers here but you only get to be a dumb ignorant newbie once, right?!?!?  :blink: 

As far as the rifles I am leaning towards the '73 because, well, it is almost the only rifle I see anyone talking about, using in videos, or recommending.  The caveat is (as I am sure you are all aware) that they are expensive, even for the clones. 

The shotguns, well, let's just say I do not know much about what to look for or what is typically used.  If someone would be so kind as to help out this noob and give me a short list of some of the common rifles and shotguns that are used in SASS shoots.  Or maybe even a link to somewhere that I don't have to chop of my left ear and part of my eye lid to buy a used '73 or something somewhat comparable? I hate to ask but I am at the end of my rope looking and my grip is slipping fast!  :wacko:

Go to some shoots. Introduce yourself. Let everyone know you are a brand new SASS member trying to make up your mind what to buy. People will fall over each other letting you try their stuff out under their supervision. Ask if anyone in the club is selling some of their used stuff. I promise it ain't that tough to find deals locally.

Keep your eye on the Classified section of this forum.  There have been some great deals here lately on '66's and '92's.  Either one will make a really good rifle.  You don't have to go with '73's just because the champs use them a lot.  If you're new, like me, it will be a long time before you can outshoot a 92.

+ what Goody said.  BUT keep your hand on your unopened billfold and attend as many shoots local to you as possible.  You don't have to turn up ready to shoot, in most cases the locals may lend you equipment to try out and you can begin to form an opinion as to what is good for you.

In addition you may find good deals from these folks or as MH said check out the classifieds.  Above all don't rush in too fast, 

Welcome to the game. Back when I was in your shoes I bought the cheapest rifle I found and found out real quick that it wasn’t for me. Visiting a match or two will really provide an education that quite possibly could save you quite a bit of cash and frustration on down the road. In my case my cheap shiny new rifle lasted about two matches before I was about ready to throw it down range and thanks to a pard or two I was able to finish the third match and learn a lesson. 

What others have said about going to shoots. Not only will you learn what you like, but almost every one of us that have been shooting for a few years have double or more than what we need. Often times, we have no intention of selling something, but then the thought comes when we find out someone wants something we aren't using. A friend of mine starting shooting and was using some of my backup stuff when someone overheard him talk about wanting a 73 in 45. He just happened to have one that he wasn't using and sold it to my buddy for $600. This was a 73 half round, half octagon barrel, in 45, with a short stroke kit and professional action job. It was a little dinged up, but in perfect shooting condition. I told my buddy buy it now or I will just for the parts alone. Anyway, you can't always expect that kind of deal, but you'll probably get a better deal from someone once they see you as a friendly face than a complete stranger on the wire. Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm in my third decade in this game and I have never owned a 73,  66s , 92s and Marlin 94s sure but I have never felt the need for a 73 ...

Try before you buy ...

The 66 just feels better to me than a 73 ,,,,, so it's 66s and not 73s...

Jabez Cowboy

As a newcomer myself, I can't offer advice, but maybe some perspective. I'm coming to this game as a gun nut - I mostly had the guns (just because). So, I picked up a second SAA clone and ordered a holster for it and I'm equipped. With firearms, anyway. But I could use a new set of boots, and my shotguns are hammerless. That CZ looks pretty nice. And... My point is that you're going to spend some money. Do you ski? Play golf? Fool with old cars? Those things cost more than cowboy action, at least to get started. Like any pastime, you can spend as much as you want. I notice a lot of folks get work done on their guns. And don't forget the ammo. Lots of ammo. So, take the advice offered by the folks who've been there. Relax. Have some fun. And save your change.

I have seen guys have fun using a Rossi '92. They run in the $500 range used. I also see guys using the Marlins and I see them used for about the same.

Used guns can be had for a little as $400 depending on make model and caliber.   But that's few and far between.  You are much more likely to find something in the $600 range.

But beware....

This game can cause you to go crazy with obtaining more and more guns!

When I started, I had a pre Safety Rossi 92 in .44 Magnum.

I have now have

4 92's  1 Rossi, 1 Armi San Marco, and 2 Winchesters.

1 Winchester 73.

1 Uberti 66

1 Uberti Henry

3 Lightnings, 2 AWA's and 1 Colt.  (My favorite rifles)

1 Spencer

And that's just my main match rifles.   We won't discuss pistols or side match guns or shotguns.

Let the wallet beware!  

:)

I want to go with .357/ .38 to attempt to keep my ammo costs down somewhat.  I am not planning on shooting CC so as far as I know, those calibers should be OK, correct?  I am being patient but I also don't want to wait 6 months to actually shoot my first full match.  I guess we will see how it goes. 

14 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Here's a heck of a good deal in the Classified section:

I am looking for .357.  And if $900 is a heck of a good deal then I am in trouble! 

13 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I'm in my third decade in this game and I have never owned a 73,  66s , 92s and Marlin 94s sure but I have never felt the need for a 73 ...

Try before you buy ...

The 66 just feels better to me than a 73 ,,,,, so it's 66s and not 73s...

Jabez Cowboy

Comparing a 66 to a 73 is irrelevant in this particular case since the cost is basically the same. 

3 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

I am looking for .357.  And if $900 is a heck of a good deal then I am in trouble! 

What is your rifle budget? If it’s in the $500 range then you really only have the Rossi as an option. Go to the local club and see if you can handle one of those. 

43 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

I want to go with .357/ .38 to attempt to keep my ammo costs down somewhat.  I am not planning on shooting CC so as far as I know, those calibers should be OK, correct?  I am being patient but I also don't want to wait 6 months to actually shoot my first full match.  I guess we will see how it goes. 

Correct; .38 Special is the most popular cartridge in the game.

Dont wait until you have everything to attend a match.  Come out this month.

I started with a rossi 92 a few years back.  I think I paid $450 or $550 for it from a pard here on the wire.  My shotgun cost maybe $300, but I bought it about 10 years prior.  The good thing about shotguns is that there are lots of options.  If you get a double barrel, pretty much any side by side is fine.  It just can't have ejectors.  Even if it does have ejectors, they can be disabled and it's fine.  There are non SxS options, but I wouldn't expect any of them to be inexpensive.  The last 2 SxSs I bought were a stoeger (used and already slicked up for cowboy shooting) for $400 and a baikal (brand new) for $329.  I don't think you can get the baikal anymore because it's russian made and I had to pay a gunsmith $165 to make it usable, but it's a fine gun now. 

I would expect you could get both longuns for somewhere in the $1k range.    The big expense comes later.  You might have noticed I've only been doing this for a few years and I admitted to having already bought at least 1 new rifle and 2 new shotguns above.  The truth is, it's been 4 new shotguns, a new rifle, and 6 new pistols.  My only defense is that my wife started playing too. 

2 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

You ammo choice is wise.  You can buy once-fired, 38 Special Brass for about the cost of the primers used to reload the brass.  (You do have to shop and be patient.)  Talk to the match directors where you will shoot and ask that loaner guns and holsters be available to you at matches.  Bring factory ammo or be prepared to pay for the ammo you consume.  This experience will  help you select firearms you prefer so you can tell Santa what to deliver in December.

3 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Don't wait until you have everything to attend a match.  Come out this month.

Great advice! 

Many new members wait until November before they get up the gumption to seek out a match, and then find the weather has shut down local matches until Spring.  The major matches are held in warm weather (Winter Range - the US National Championships - sometimes to the contrary, due to unexplained hail or grapple).  Go see matches, not a one of us were completely ready when we "visited" our first one.

Good luck, GJ

The four most commonly used main match rifles are 1866, 1873, 1892, and 1894 Marlin.

That said, there are plenty of others; Spencer, Burgess, Evans, 1860 Henry, Henry Big Boy, 1884 Lightning, 1894 Winchester (revolver cartridge versions, of course), possibly the Marlin 336 .44 mag (The 336 didn't come along til 1948, so...?), maybe the Marlin M27 (also a few years too late, so...?). and undoubtedly a few more that don't immediately come to mind.

Like a lot of folks, most maybe, I started with a Rossi '92 in .45 Colt. Next came a pair of Uberti .44-40 '73's. Today, I have 29 main match rifles, and most often find myself shooting an '82 vintage Marlin 1894c .357 with .38's. Bud's has the Marlin .45 Colt for $582, shipped, and even better deals can be found on gunbroker - I bought two in November, new in box, for $499 ea, shipped, from Gunpro Armory in Georgia.

My first shotgun was a 12g Rossi Overland coach, because I already had it. ;) Today, coincidentally, I also have 29 main match shotguns, and most often use a 12g Baikal Bounty Hunter II or a 12g Cimarron/TTN 1878.

A Stoeger SxS is relatively cheap, and will work fine for a casual, once or twice a month shooter. For that matter, most any SxS will get you started. Stevens 311's are common and will work fine, but can usually use a little help timing the cocking levers. A Baikal Bounty Hunter II or Remington Spartan (same shotgun) are great mid-range shotguns if you can find one, but can also benefit from timing the cocking levers. At the top end are the SKB and Browning BSS shotguns. Single shot shotguns are legal, albeit a bit slow - I occasionally shoot one just to be different - and an ejector is legal on a single shot. Then there is the Winchester model 1897 and its modern clones, and the 1887 lever action, if you really need to increase your frustration level. :D

18 hours ago, Paako Hunter said:

I have seen guys have fun using a Rossi '92. They run in the $500 range used. I also see guys using the Marlins and I see them used for about the same.

Go to a match like others pointed out. But as also what Paako says is good. To see a '92 run in the hands of a champ...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Get on gunboker and type in "cowboy action shooting "..... hundreds of things will come up.... this is how i started looking. As others said... go to a match before you buy. It's like test driving a car but better. Cars don't shoot !!! Unless ur James Bond !! I really done some homework before i went to my first match and had guns bought, although didn't have them yet. I had tons of offers that day to try numerous guns out and finally did at lunch. Turned out they were black powder cartridge guns and a load of fun to shoot !! I recently sold my beginners guns and purchased all bp guns to try that game out !!! So as the old timers have suggested and are right .... go try some out at a match before you buy.... Larabee 

8 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

ROSSI 92, good gun,less than half what a 66 or 73 would cost[they can be slicked up but not short stroked]

I have Three 92's , Two Martin's ,

A 73 , A 66 , A Big Boy , A 94 and a Henry 1860 .

I chose to shoot the 66 most of the time anymore .

Because I shoot BP mostly now.

But if I do shoot Smokeless I shoot a 92 .

It's by far the lightest rifle in the Game. 

There are so  many options .

Just pick up one and start playing.

Like most of us ,

You will own more then one sooner or later .

Rooster 

21 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

But if I do shoot Smokeless I shoot a 92 .

It's by far the lightest rifle in the Game.

I had to put this to the test. The fairest comparison I could make in my collection was Rossi vs. Marlin.

I have two Rossi .357 carbines, and just weighed them in at ~6 lbs, 1/2 oz. Then I put a couple JM Marlin 1894c .357's on, and they came in at the tiniest smidge under 6 lbs, making the Rossi about 1/2+ oz heavier than the Marlin. BUT, the Rossi's have 20" barrels vs. 18" for the Marlins, so...

A 16" .45 Rossi would be the clear winner, but it only holds 8 rounds, according to the specs. :mellow:

Forgot I also have some .44-40 Marlins and four .44-40 Rossi's, all with 20" barrels. The Rossi's are ~5 lbs, 12 oz, and the Marlins are ~6 lbs, 2 oz, making the Rossi ~6 oz lighter than the Marlin. ;)

I love my 92! It's light, accurate and as reliable as an anvil. I see the top shooters with their $2000+ 73's and their screw knives digging into the action to fix some problem or another and all it reminds me of is my 92 has never jammed and I've never seen one jam. It's like the difference between an AR vs an AK. AK's don't jam, AR's are so well known for jamming they come with an anti-jamming device built in. It's a shave a 73 can't have a screw knife already installed like the forward assist...

I'll stick with my 92, I'll probably never be faster than that gun can handle and it's never jammed on me. Remember, before the short stroke kits for the 66&73, the 92 was the rifle that dominated...

7 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

The four most commonly used main match rifles are 1866, 1873, 1892, and 1894 Marlin.

That said, there are plenty of others; Spencer, Burgess, Evans, 1860 Henry, Henry Big Boy, 1884 Lightning, 1894 Winchester (revolver cartridge versions, of course), possibly the Marlin 336 .44 mag (The 336 didn't come along til 1948, so...?), maybe the Marlin M27 (also a few years too late, so...?). and undoubtedly a few more that don't immediately come to mind.

Like a lot of folks, most maybe, I started with a Rossi '92 in .45 Colt. Next came a pair of Uberti .44-40 '73's. Today, I have 29 main match rifles, and most often find myself shooting an '82 vintage Marlin 1894c .357 with .38's. Bud's has the Marlin .45 Colt for $582, shipped, and even better deals can be found on gunbroker - I bought two in November, new in box, for $499 ea, shipped, from Gunpro Armory in Georgia.

My first shotgun was a 12g Rossi Overland coach, because I already had it. ;) Today, coincidentally, I also have 29 main match shotguns, and most often use a 12g Baikal Bounty Hunter II or a 12g Cimarron/TTN 1878.

A Stoeger SxS is relatively cheap, and will work fine for a casual, once or twice a month shooter. For that matter, most any SxS will get you started. Stevens 311's are common and will work fine, but can usually use a little help timing the cocking levers. A Baikal Bounty Hunter II or Remington Spartan (same shotgun) are great mid-range shotguns if you can find one, but can also benefit from timing the cocking levers. At the top end are the SKB and Browning BSS shotguns. Single shot shotguns are legal, albeit a bit slow - I occasionally shoot one just to be different - and an ejector is legal on a single shot. Then there is the Winchester model 1897 and its modern clones, and the 1887 lever action, if you really need to increase your frustration level. :D

Great advise here! Just take a deep breath and grab a Marlin CB in .357 and a Stoeger coach shotgun, a couple of Uberti  cattleman .357 and your in business, shoot hell out of them and save your money, if you catch yourself "out running" those guns they sell well and you can then move up to the" race" guns. Don't get you panties in a wad, shoot have fun and look around, you have nothing but time and a lot of pards will give lots of advice, its a GREAT game and full of GREAT people. Just my 2 cents. SCJ

On 8/1/2018 at 10:25 AM, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Correct; .38 Special is the most popular cartridge in the game.

Dont wait until you have everything to attend a match.  Come out this month.

I went to my first match last weekend.  It was a blast!  I am contemplating going to another club south me this weekend just to go to another.  

On 8/1/2018 at 1:43 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Great advice! 

Many new members wait until November before they get up the gumption to seek out a match, and then find the weather has shut down local matches until Spring.  The major matches are held in warm weather (Winter Range - the US National Championships - sometimes to the contrary, due to unexplained hail or grapple).  Go see matches, not a one of us were completely ready when we "visited" our first one.

Good luck, GJ

I went to my first shoot last weekend.  It was awesome.  I am more referring to being able to actually shoot an entire match.  

It is actually opposite here in South Florida.  A few of the local clubs have shut down for the summer because it is so hot and humid here right now.  We had 2 shooters surrender last weekend due to the heat.  Winter is when we want to shoot here! 

Thanks!  B)

On 8/1/2018 at 10:29 AM, Shooting Bull said:

You can still find some Marlins that aren't out of this world expensive:  Gunbroker

Thanks I will definitely be on there and a few other auction sites looking for deals.  I haven't seen too many yet that don't get blown way up at the last few days of the auction though.  Patience is a virtue...I guess...  :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2018 at 10:39 AM, July Smith said:

I'm a new SASS shooter, but not new to buying guns.  I have never regretted buying one nice gun.  I have regretted buying the cheaper or "good enough" option.   

Agreed!  I am not trying to buy the cheapest guns by any means.  Just like you, I am a life long shooter and an Infantry vet and have never regretted buying nice guns.  But I almost always am able to find good deals.  But with the SA guns they seem to be fewer and farther between.  We have a local (very large) gun show coming up next weekend.  I am hoping to find something there.  

On 8/1/2018 at 2:54 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  :D

Now I finally have some models to look for.  I was waiting with baited breath for some type of list.  I scour the interwebs most nights looking for gun deals, not just for SA.  I will have some good research to do tonight! 

I am planning on attending a few shoots a month.  There are about 5 posse's withing an hour and a half drive from me.  I am actually almost directly in the middle of 3 of them and none are within an hour.

I definitely want to get shooting as soon as I can but I also do not want to purchase something that will end up costing me more aggravation than it is worth.

Again, thank you for the comprehensive list.  You may need a few more main match long guns though...just in case you get overrun by angry injuns or something!  :rolleyes:  

Archived