SASS Wire Forum

Curling

I dunno. There’s something fascinating about watching a game in slow motion when it really isn’t in slow motion. 

I just can’t look away. ;)

My experience with curling usuallt involved lots of hot toddies, snacks and beer. Maybe that was why it seemed fun. 

My step daughter and her husband and his sister and her husband are in a curling league over on the coast where there is an indoor ice rink. The curlers are way down on the list as far as ice rink time goes and they get the rink every two weeks on a Friday night at 11:00 pm I’m told. 

I loved curling when I used to drink. I could curl all night long...12 ouncers, 16 ouncers with light 1 to 2 ouncers in between. Went Boilermaker curling but that leads to hurling so I gave up that kind of curling. :P

Curling is a lot like women...I like it, But I don't understand it.

I used to curl but, gave it up because by the 6th end, I was bored and ready to go home.  My wife still curls twice a week with the ladies league and watches every game on TV.   Just about every small town in Canada has a curling rink and if they don't, there is probably one within 20/30 minutes away.  Curling is probably Canada's second national sport right after hockey.

59 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I used to curl but, gave it up because by the 6th end, I was bored and ready to go home.  My wife still curls twice a week with the ladies league and watches every game on TV.   Just about every small town in Canada has a curling rink and if they don't, there is probably one within 20/30 minutes away.  Curling is probably Canada's second national sport right after hockey.

not lacross?

26 minutes ago, Oklahomabound said:

...pic of the Russian curler, Anastasia Bryzgalova, says it all....

Anastasia's Ginger... Mary Ann would be Anna Sidorova!   :blush:

1 hour ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

It is easier on the old bod than hockey that's for sure.

I find it fascinating to watch because of the strategy and finesse involved, my self.  Of course I also like watching junior and international women's hockey over NHL, so I am a bit of an odd duck...

30 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

not lacross?

It is on record but, not sure why, as you don't see it played very often.  It is never shown on TV and If you asked 20 Canadians what is Canada's national sport, 19 would say hockey and the other one would say curling.  I have only watched one lacrosse game in my life.  It was never offered in school. My grandson played it one summer but, he and his brother and sister are now heavy into hockey.

28 minutes ago, Red Eye Jim said:

It is easier on the old bod than hockey that's for sure.

I find it fascinating to watch because of the strategy and finesse involved, my self.  Of course I also like watching junior and international women's hockey over NHL, so I am a bit of an odd duck...

Two years ago my wife entered a team for the Farmerettes week long bonspiel and she had an 80-year-old lady on her team and they won 1st place in the "A" event out of 16 teams. That same lady dropped out curling this year as she was afraid of what would happen if she slipped and fell on the ice at her age.

21 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Anastasia's Ginger... Mary Ann would be Anna Sidorova!   :blush:

This is the pic for public viewing... there are others

Dust Bunny, my darlin' wife, loves to watch curling on TV, so I wind up watching it too, as long as I can stand it. Neither of us can figure out how they keep score. Other real sports are easy to figure out, like baseball, football, hockey etc. We are determined to figure it on our own, without looking it up on google. (Please don't tell me.)

Himself

8 hours ago, The O'Meara Himself said:

Dust Bunny, my darlin' wife, loves to watch curling on TV, so I wind up watching it too, as long as I can stand it. Neither of us can figure out how they keep score. Other real sports are easy to figure out, like baseball, football, hockey etc. We are determined to figure it on our own, without looking it up on google. (Please don't tell me.)

Himself

The scoring, though, really is simple:

You want to come closer to a bulls-eye than your opponent when all the stones are thrown.

In curling terms: The team with the stone closest to the center of the button when the end is finished gets a point. If a team has two stones closer to the center of the button than its opponent, it gets two points, and so on.

It is impossible for both teams to score in an end, since points are awarded exclusively on the basis of which team did better in the end.

The best possible score in an end is 8-0, meaning one team got all eight stones closer to the button than its opponent. This is a “snowman” or curling’s equivalent of a perfect game.

17 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The scoring, though, really is simple:

You want to come closer to a bulls-eye than your opponent when all the stones are thrown.

In curling terms: The team with the stone closest to the center of the button when the end is finished gets a point. If a team has two stones closer to the center of the button than its opponent, it gets two points, and so on.

It is impossible for both teams to score in an end, since points are awarded exclusively on the basis of which team did better in the end.

The best possible score in an end is 8-0, meaning one team got all eight stones closer to the button than its opponent. This is a “snowman” or curling’s equivalent of a perfect game.

A bit like horseshoes. 

37 minutes ago, The O'Meara Himself said:

Sedalia Dave:  I asked you not to tell me that! (There is a curling league here in Cheyenne, but they use frozen chickens instead of stones. Really.)

Himself

Much cheaper.  :rolleyes:

http://www.curlingstone.com/

"A curling stone, the puck used in curling, is made of granite, but it is not just any granite – it is blue hone granite that can be found only off the coast of Scotland on an island known as Alisa Craig... The British government stopped all blasting for granite in the 1990s when scientists discovered that puffin, birds that once used the island as a breeding ground, were nowhere to be found. Rats brought to the island by miners had been eating the birds’ eggs, causing the birds to move to another location.

"Kays of Scotland claims to have enough granite to last for a long time. In the meantime, a Canadian company has been manufacturing curling stones made from Welch granite since there is no other known source of the blue hone granite. This granite is usually in shades of red and brown as well as blue and gray, and is called Trefor.  These stones sell for about $600 when new.  Blue hone granite stones are used by elite teams, and these stones can cost around $30,000 for the team’s stones."

4 hours ago, The O'Meara Himself said:

Sedalia Dave:  I asked you not to tell me that! (There is a curling league here in Cheyenne, but they use frozen chickens instead of stones. Really.)

Himself

MMMMM BBQ chicken after the match. 

On 2/16/2018 at 1:02 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

If chess, horseshoes, and shuffle board all interbred and spawned a winter sport it would be curling. 

Subdeacon Joe

Looks like you called it. It's a strategy game like chess, scores like horseshoes and the goal is to knock your opponent's scoring pieces off the board.   GOOD CALL!

Dr. O. R.

I started watching curling (and got to like watching!) back in the late '60's in Great Falls, Montana, where you pretty much needed cable T.V. to watch anything, and we used to get Canadian stations as part of the "expensive" package ($5 a month! :D ).  Yes, it's a game of strategy, as well as skill.  I've never played the game, but I must be a frustrated wannabe because I used a broom to sweep the excess thawing salt off my sidewalk this morning! :P

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Yes, it's a game of strategy, as well as skill.  I've never played the game, but I must be a frustrated wannabe because I used a broom to sweep the excess thawing salt off my sidewalk this morning! :P

Was your wife screaming"HARDER!  HARDER!" at you from the porch?  ":lol:

Archived