SASS Wire Forum

Goex powder out of Business?

Bittertrigger

Hard to find true Black Powder around the north Dallas area 

so I stopped at Bass Pro today an asked for 5# of Goex, he informed me that they were out 

and did not know when they will be getting in due to fact that Goex went out of business 

does any one know if this is true 

Thier website doe not say anything about it 

That same rumor pops up every couple of years....

But I'm pretty sure they're still alive & kickin'

13 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Rumor alert! Still in business, you can buy it direct or online.

Rafe 

You may buy it but when the heck do you shoot it?  I think you buy it to put on the shelf and look at it!

Sorry BT, don’t mean to hijack your thread....

29 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

This place doesn't mention anything about it.

http://powderinc.com/

+1

33 minutes ago, Bittertrigger said:

Hard to find true Black Powder around the north Dallas area 

so I stopped at Bass Pro today an asked for 5# of Goex, he informed me that they were out 

and did not know when they will be getting in due to fact that Goex went out of business 

does any one know if this is true 

Thier website doe not say anything about it 

FAKE NEWS and total BS :rolleyes:

Have Goex call'em to be sure they get the word from the real source.

OLG

Hmm, I don't recall the Bass Pro north of Austin as carrying real BP, just some subs.  Maybe they used to carry Goex Pinnacle before Goex quit making it and this sales guy is just a doofus?  (Well he's probably a doofus regardless)

The clerks behind the gun counters at Bass Pro are not hired for their gun knowledge.

Howdy

Lots of places don't carry real Black Powder. Unlike the BP subs, Black Powder is a true explosive. Storage requirements are different in many locales.

Many stores just don't want to deal with the extra storage requirements.

Hey Driftwood, from the charcoal for black powder what would you say is the best ?

1 hour ago, Too Tall Bob said:

You may buy it but when the heck do you shoot it?  I think you buy it to put on the shelf and look at it!

Sorry BT, don’t mean to hijack your thread....

Loading it so I'll have plenty when the thumb heals up! Last time I shot it was Oct. at Bordertown, you remember that don't yo?

Rafe 

40 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Maybe try the Bass Pro at Ray Hubbard.

19 minutes ago, Bittertrigger said:

They don’t carry real BP 

Bass Pro @ Ray Hubbard doesn't carry it.  Gibson's in Mesquite used to carry it.  Don't know if they're already closed up, as the new 190 extension is going to be behind their range.  Don't let the "gentleman" behind their counter get under your skin... he enjoys it, hates his "job"... has no "sales skills".  If they're closed, mail order it.  Maybe wait and see what some other BP shooters need and split the HazMat fees.

Bass Pro's website has a Goex web page.  It states not available for online order and all the Texas stores list as out of stock.  Driftwood is probably right about not wanting to deal with explosives storage requirements.  They may also not want to be mentioned in the national news the next time some jihadi  builds a pressure cooker bomb using black powder instead of removing the explosive powder out of fireworks.

Out of Business?  Naw!

In January 2009 Hodgdon acquired GOEX Powder, Inc., located in Minden, Louisiana, the only manufacturer of black powder in the USA

Hodgdon bought Goex in 2009 for one reason - The Federal Govt has a law that the Department of Defense can only buy their black powder made in the United States.  And Goex is the only US manufacturer ... that makes Hodgdon have a monopoly on the largest buyer of BP ... to the Department of Defense 

6 hours ago, Sawyer said:

Graf and Sons carries their own label black powder.  They say it is made by Schutzen, I don't know that for sure.  I use it and like it.

Grafs and Sons shows Goex in stock in all 9 choices. 

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

6 hours ago, John Boy said:

Out of Business?  Naw!

In January 2009 Hodgdon acquired GOEX Powder, Inc., located in Minden, Louisiana, the only manufacturer of black powder in the USA

Hodgdon bought Goex in 2009 for one reason - The Federal Govt has a law that the Department of Defense can only buy their black powder made in the United States.  And Goex is the only US manufacturer ... that makes Hodgdon have a monopoly on the largest buyer of BP ... to the Department of Defense 

Interesting. What do they use it for?

Man I’m glad to hear all this sure hate lose my Goex 

I’m a big fan of supporting the local dealers for my shooting stuff 

but if I have to order it then so be it 

12 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

Lots of places don't carry real Black Powder. Unlike the BP subs, Black Powder is a true explosive. Storage requirements are different in many locales.

Many stores just don't want to deal with the extra storage requirements.

Howdy Bittertrigger, try to get one or two other shooters to go in with you on 25-50. Most venders  offer free shipping and/or haxmat fee.  Don't know if you've ever tried it, but Schutzen ($16.55) costs less than Goex ($18.oo) and burns cleaner, got the good ole German charcoal. Good Luck:)

3 minutes ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Schutzen ($16.55) costs less than Goex ($18.oo) and burns cleaner, got the good ole German charcoal. Good Luck:)

Thanks Jefro

Not a BP shooter yet - but learned something pretty early today !

13 hours ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

Hey Driftwood, from the charcoal for black powder what would you say is the best ?

Howdy

I prefer Schuetzen. Goex does not use as good a charcoal as Schuetzen does and tends to leave more fouling behind. Swiss is the absolute best, the cleanest burning, but it costs significantly more than Schuetzen. I go through a lot of powder in a year and Schuetzen is good enough for what I do. Depending on where you buy it, Schuetzen and Goex cost pretty much the same, sometimes Schuetzen is a little bit more, but it's worth it in my experience.

And yes, the stuff Graf sells is indeed Schuetzen, in their own private label bottles. Both are made in Germany by Wano.

Goex sells Olde Eynsford, which is supposed to be very good too, but I have never tried it.

P.S. The good German charcoal is made from Buckthorn Alder

9 hours ago, John Boy said:

Out of Business?  Naw!

3 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Interesting. What do they use it for?

I was going to chime in that the big powder bags used in the Navy's 16" guns are filled with black powder because I've heard that repeatedly over the years, but wanting to be sure I wasn't spreading nonsense, I did some research and found that the Iowa class ships used D839 smokeless.

John Boy, do you know what they might use it for?

10 hours ago, Sawyer said:

Graf and Sons carries their own label black powder.  They say it is made by Schutzen, I don't know that for sure.  I use it and like it.

Got a jug of it in my hand right now and it is correct. Made by Schutzen and yes this stuff works good.

10 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

I was going to chime in that the big powder bags used in the Navy's 16" guns are filled with black powder because I've heard that repeatedly over the years, but wanting to be sure I wasn't spreading nonsense, I did some research and found that the Iowa class ships used D839 smokeless.

John Boy, do you know what they might use it for?

handgrenades? 

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

'Pads' of BP are used between the powder bags on Naval guns.

BP is also used in 'training' explosives.

The blanks used in training are loaded with BP.

OLG

Yeah, BP burns quicker and easier than smokeless and is used as "starter" charges for the large caliber cannon.

P.S. The good German charcoal is made from Buckthorn Alder

Driftwood, If I may ...

* Wano (Schuetzen )does not use Alder Buckthorn for their charcoal.  They subcontract charcoal made from straight Alder which has less sugar in the branches

Swiss and KIK are the only 2 powder manufacturers that use Alder Buckthron.  The gypsies gather the branches in the winter when the roots are producing the sugar:

* Gypsies send the branches directly to Swiss, ricked for 3 years in batches and they make their own charcoal in house

* KIK, made in Czechoslovakia, buys their charcoal made from Alder Buckthorn

Follow up:  Hodgdon is also the largest seller of Goex blasting powder in the US, in addition to military sales.  They also make firecracker powder.  Goex sporting powder sold to us by Hodgdon is at the bottom of their income statement for black powder sales

PS - Thanks Gary

Archived