SASS Wire Forum

Cap and ball 36 cal

Marie Laveau

Pitta or Uberti 1851 Navies are quite nice.  Actually, really really nice.

Longhunter's tuned 1851s are supposed to be excellent.

Lots and lots of variables here.  However.  Were it me, I'd look real hard at the Capt. Schaeffer replicas from EMF (4 inch barrels) and a cylinder loading stand.  I'd also give real consideration to the NYM Police from EMF (5 1/2) inch barrels.  Both and or "any" will need a quality tune up for CAS use.  I'd also suggest that "tune up" include Cap Rakes to prevent Cap Jams in the hammer slot.

PS:  Forgot to include ..... Both are Pietta guns.

PSS:  I actually recommend a cylinder loading stand for either.

17 minutes ago, Marie Laveau said:

This cowgirls tossing around the idea of shooting cap and ball in Classic. So I need to know what what the best set of pistols is to buy in 36 caliber. GO!!!!

I have thought of doing that myself for Classic... But with Walkers <_<

All will need work on the to make them reliable .

Pietta's will need the least amount of work .

Rooster 

What experience do you have shooting percussion revolvers?  

Ruger Old Army revolvers have fewer malfunctions than the others, but are rather expensive.  All the others, the Italian reproductions of Colts and Remingtons, need a lot of “tuning” to eliminate jams.

If you have never shot percussion revolvers in competition, seek a Frontiersman who will coach you.  Shoot his guns in a match.  Learn to load them.  Then make your decision.  If you can find a pair of Uberti or Pietta revolvers that have been tuned for our sport it will save you time, money, and frustration.  If you order a new pair of Ubertis or Piettas,  be prepared to do some work on them (new nipples, springs, etc) to be competitive.

I have a 51 Navy and a 61 Navy in 36 that I can bring to a shoot for you to handle if you wish. Just let me know. One of the 61's I have has a 5 1/2 barrel. DC

Co-Incidence!

I just today ordered a Uberti 1851 to go with my 1861.

I figured why not one of each and then I can eventually decide what I like best and buy a third (the odd one out is my spare).

We don't have the gunsmiths you guys do so I have put in Slix nipples and use the remi #10 caps and I have very few problems even without all the mods.

7 hours ago, Marie Laveau said:

This cowgirls tossing around the idea of shooting cap and ball in Classic. So I need to know what what the best set of pistols is to buy in 36 caliber. GO!!!!

I would recommend Pietta 1851's with Slix-Shot nipples installed.  Because Ubertis apparently have incorrect arbor lengths, the Piettas need less work.  They all need work to be completely reliable before being ready for match shooting.  You can buy guns pre-tuned and then it won't matter which brand because everything will be fixed already, or if you like using tools and have a minimum of patience, you can tune them yourself.

I deburred mine according to Larsen Pettifogger's "Tuning the Piettas" and then installed Wollfe Springs Bolt/Trigger springs and Slix-Shot nipples and I couldn't be happier.  These guns are much more comfortable to shoot than the Remingtons I was using before.

12 hours ago, Marie Laveau said:

I'd say either the '51 or '60 with the 5 1/2" barrel Pietta's.  But I'd suggest thinking about going with .44's........

15 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I have a 51 Navy and a 61 Navy in 36 that I can bring to a shoot for you to handle if you wish. Just let me know. One of the 61's I have has a 5 1/2 barrel. DC

I would like that DC.   I’ll let you know when I’m shooting and where!!

On 11/2/2017 at 9:54 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Lots and lots of variables here.  However.  Were it me, I'd look real hard at the Capt. Schaeffer replicas from EMF (4 inch barrels) and a cylinder loading stand.  I'd also give real consideration to the NYM Police from EMF (5 1/2) inch barrels.  Both and or "any" will need a quality tune up for CAS use.  I'd also suggest that "tune up" include Cap Rakes to prevent Cap Jams in the hammer slot.

PS:  Forgot to include ..... Both are Pietta guns.

PSS:  I actually recommend a cylinder loading stand for either.

Coffinmaker is dead on. The Capt. Schaeffer's are also great with a barrel 4 inch barrel. A tune up like he suggests and they would be a great shooter! Here is a comparison of the Capt. Schaeffer and my NYM Police with a work in progress 3 1/2 1851 barrel. If it were me, I would also remove the loading lever to lighten it up a little.

IMG_2204.JPG

10 hours ago, Yank_MaChain said:

Pietta 1862 NY Metropolitan Police from EMF

I just finished these and they are a dream to shoot. They must be shot gunfighter though.

temporary2.JPG

Open Tops are Sexy !

Nice stubby Belly Guns .

23 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

1858 remington "navies"

i shoot a pair of 44 remingtons

i have quite a few remingtons in fact...

KIMG1860.JPG

Looks to me like somebody might have a case of Cap & Ball fever.

Marie Laveau,  I love your alias.  Every time I see it I hear  "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYO!!  Another man done gone." in my head.  :D

BTW, I like the Colt '51 Navy copies.  I have Colt Navys, Armys and Remington's.  Both Uberti and Pietta.  All I've done to mine is add after market nipples.

Try a few and decide what YOU like.

Angus

p.s.  Sorry to hear about Handsome Jack.  :lol:

14 hours ago, Yank_MaChain said:

Pietta 1862 NY Metropolitan Police from EMF

I just finished these and they are a dream to shoot. They must be shot gunfighter though.

temporary2.JPG

Where'd you get the front sights?

• I have a pair of 51, 5.5 inch that I purchased at Winter Range from Long Hunter. The guns are very smooth and handle like a dream. Several have told me that they have stopped using a 36 for SASS as it was common for the spotters to incorrectly call hits and misses. Look at George Baylor's Facebook posts and you will see a set he is having built in 44. They look very nice and should be a great shooting gun.

35 minutes ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:
  • I have a pair of 51, 5.5 inch that I purchased at Winter Range from Long Hunter. The guns are very smooth and handle like a dream. Several have told me that they have stopped using a 36 for SASS as it was common for the spotters to incorrectly call hits and misses. Look at George Baylor's Facebook posts and you will see a set he is having built in 44. They look very nice and should be a great shooting gun.

I'm used to the spotting issues... I also shoot BP out of short barreled 32's Single Sixes. The boom definitely drowns out the ding of the steel. Funny part is, when I spot, I can tell you exactly where you hit the target... just sayin.

IMG_1856.JPG

2 minutes ago, Yank_MaChain said:

I'm used to the spotting issues... I also shoot BP out of short barreled 32's Single Sixes. The boom definitely drowns out the ding of the steel. Funny part is, when I spot, I can tell you exactly where you hit the target... just sayin.

IMG_1856.JPG

Where do the caps go on those?  :lol:

1 hour ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

Not to hijack the thread but why the apparent vast preference for 1851s over 1860s?

I've been toying with this idea myself and am still in the pondering phase.

Thanks.

The OP asked about 36cal, 1860's only come in .44cal.

If you want to be different,  don't forget about the Spiller & Burr.

Archived