Cap and ball 36 cal

Marie Laveau

Or

Dance Brothers

Leech and Rigdon

Griswold and Gunnison

Just to be different.

5 hours ago, Cemetery said:

Looks to me like somebody might have a case of Cap & Ball fever.

No, just Remington fever. The only other cap guns I own are 3 walkers, a pair of 60 colts, a pair of NAA super companions, a 44 sxs Derringer, a stainless 5.5" Ruger old army, and a pair of 73 SAA's in 44 c&b... Oh crap... I do have a problem....

I have a Pair of Pietta 1860 sheriff model's .

And a Pair of 1858 Sheriff model's .

And a 1849 Colt Wells Fargo .

And a 2nd Gen Colt1860 .

And a 2nd Gen Colt 1848 Dragoon .

And a Pair of 1872 Conversion's 

And a  Ruger Old Army .

And a Pair of Colt 18723's 

I Think I Might Have a problem too.

LOL 

Rooster 

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Or

Dance Brothers

Leech and Rigdon

Griswold and Gunnison

Just to be different.

My Dance Brothers is a 44.

Me too...

ASM 1849 .31

ASM 1861 .36

Colt 1849 .31 (original)

Pair of High Standard Griswold & Gunnison .36

Navy Arms Griswold & Gunnison .36

Three Pietta 1858 .44 blue

Pietta 1858 .44 stainless

Three Pietta 1860 .44

Four stainless fixed sight ROA's .45

Two blue fixed sight ROA's .45

Two blue adj sight ROA's .45

Uberti/Stoeger 1849 Wells Fargo .31

Total of 19 main match guns + 3 1849's.

18 minutes ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

My Dance Brothers is a 44.

Dance Brothers revolvers were made originally in 44 and 36. I believe the replicas follow suit.

So getting back on topic. A pare of 36 cal revolvers, smooth and reliable and easy to get parts/accessories for looks like the ever popular 1851. If you like a little sleeker profile the round barrel of the 1861 might be just the thing. I would chose a revolver with a steel frame rather than bronze.

On 11/2/2017 at 8:45 PM, Marie Laveau said:

This cowgirls tossing around the idea of shooting cap and ball in Classic. So I need to know what what the best set of pistols is to buy in 36 caliber. GO!!!!

Marie Laveau:

I owe you an apology (and I absolutely love your alias!).  I made a very male chauvinist, sexist, assumption when I read your first post...namely that female cowboy action shooters do not perform home gunsmithing procedures on their guns.  I apologize for making that assumption when I made my first post.   That is why I recommended ruger Old Armies, even though they are much more expensive than the Italian imports.  The ROAs can be used in competition as they are.  

My assumption may be false; you may be completely capable of performing the usual tuning procedures on the Italian percussion reproduction revolvers.   But if you are not interested in performing the tuning required on new Italian guns, then you need to be aware that after buying your guns, you are going to have to send them to someone to get them into condition for SASS competition, which entails new nipples, new springs, and other tuning operations.  It can add a significant cost to the purchase price of your new revolvers.

This thread shows that Colt and Remington reproductions are enjoyed by a lot of cowboys.  Variety is wonderful.    I urge you to handle 1851  and 1860 open top Colt copies and 1858 Remington copies and make your choice from that experience; which ones feel best in your hands, and which ones are most aesthetically pleasing to your eye.    There are a variety of barrel length and caliber options from both Uberti and Pietta.  Shorter barrel lengths are easier to draw, but the really short barrels require you to load the cylinder off the gun, so you will have to buy a separate loading press if you go that route.   If you do not want to mess with a lot of gunsmithing after purchase, again consider the Rugers.  ROAs are not 36 caliber but you can handle them.

At the risk of repetition, spend some time with the Frontiersmen in your area before you buy. They will be eager to help you.

18 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Marie Laveau:

I owe you an apology (and I absolutely love your alias!).  I made a very male chauvinist, sexist, assumption when I read your first post...namely that female cowboy action shooters do not perform home gunsmithing procedures on their guns.  I apologize for making that assumption when I made my first post.   That is why I recommended ruger Old Armies, even though they are much more expensive than the Italian imports.  The ROAs can be used in competition as they are.  

My assumption may be false; you may be completely capable of performing the usual tuning procedures on the Italian percussion reproduction revolvers.   But if you are not interested in performing the tuning required on new Italian guns, then you need to be aware that after buying your guns, you are going to have to send them to someone to get them into condition for SASS competition, which entails new nipples, new springs, and other tuning operations.  It can add a significant cost to the purchase price of your new revolvers.

This thread shows that Colt and Remington reproductions are enjoyed by a lot of cowboys.  Variety is wonderful.    I urge you to handle 1851  and 1860 open top Colt copies and 1858 Remington copies and make your choice from that experience; which ones feel best in your hands, and which ones are most aesthetically pleasing to your eye.    There are a variety of barrel length and caliber options from both Uberti and Pietta.  Shorter barrel lengths are easier to draw, but the really short barrels require you to load the cylinder off the gun, so you will have to buy a separate loading press if you go that route.   If you do not want to mess with a lot of gunsmithing after purchase, again consider the Rugers.  ROAs are not 36 caliber but you can handle them.

At the risk of repetition, spend some time with the Frontiersmen in your area before you buy. They will be eager to help you.

Mr. J

No offense taken at all. My husband just got into Frontiersman and is shooting ROA’s.  They are way too big for me thus the reason for the post. 

I am tossing around my options, we have some great folks here that shoot that category who are very helpful!  

I am am not sure that we own a ‘stock’ gun. My husbands pretty darn handy, and if he can’t or doesn’t want to tune them, we will make sure we find someone to make them slick.   

I appreciate everyone’s input and will weigh all of my choices before I buy. 

Have a great evening!

M Laveau

Thank you for the quick response, I am much relieved!  :D

In that case, may I suggest these:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1972298265/pietta-1860-army-sheriff-black-powder-revolver-44-caliber-55-barrel-steel-frame-blue

The shorter barrel will be easier to draw and reholster.  I know you asked for .36 caliber, but you would be able to use the same .457 round balls that your husband's ROAs use in this revolver as well.  It simplifies things!

5 hours ago, Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223 said:

My Mouse gun5919dda1d1e4d_NAACompanionreadytoload.JPG.935d9aa10eee26bf206e0d1346bd1af0.JPG

Like that setup.

I always wondered how the heck you going to load that little Mouse Gun .

LL,

Them is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marie, see what you started? :D:D:D

Happy (non) firearms shopping, Marie. Please let us know what you get!

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

LL,

Them is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marie, see what you started? :D:D:D

Happy (non) firearms shopping, Marie. Please let us know what you get!

Leave it to me to stir up the pot. I’m going to do some research, shoot some and then decide.  

Im excited to go to the dark side!!

Marie,

I started in on the darkside in 1987 with an ASM 1851 from EMF.  A week before EOT, the hand spring broke.  A friend took it a gunsmith that installed a Ruger hand spring & plunger in it.  Returned it opening morning of EOT 1987.  That same spring and plunger is still in that gun to this day.  It has worked thru hundreds of matches, and never had a problem.  Back several years ago I bought a pair of Colt 2nd Gen 1851s.  Sent them off to that same gunsmith and had the same mod done, plus added the Manhattan conversion to them, along with that original ASM and lastly, to a 4th 1851, a Colt Signature Series.  

I've changed out the nipples for Slix-Shot ones, and use nothing but Remington #10 caps.  Between all 4 1851s, I've broke that original hand spring, and one bolt leg,  The Colt 2nd Gen guns were made from parts made by Uberti and then finished by Colt.  That ASM 1851 I got from EMF was also made of Uberti parts and then finished by ASM.  (all of it's internals can interchange with the Colts, including the cylinder).  The Signature Series parts were also made by Uberti and then assembled and finished by Iver Johnson here in the States.

They will be a bit more expensive than either Ubertis or Piettas, but can be found for relatively modest prices if you're patient.

I highly recommend changing the nipples out to Slik-Shot versions, putting in either cap racks or doing a full Manhattan conversion, and if not done at the factory, the coil spring hand spring modification.  As for accouterments, I use a Ted Cash snail capper, and simply use the back side of the capper to get the caps fully seated.  Many folks use a bit of antler or wood to use as a cap seater, I don't find much force is necessary, so the back side of the capper lip has worked for me for many years... Why carry around added stuff?

Enjoy your foray into the dark arts.  

My choice would be a pair of  Longhunters 1861 Navies.  Tuned, ready to go, and the ratcheting loading lever is easier to use than the 1851's hinged one..  You wont have to worry about lever dropping on the 1861s

On 11/2/2017 at 9:54 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Lots and lots of variables here.  However.  Were it me, I'd look real hard at the Capt. Schaeffer replicas from EMF (4 inch barrels) and a cylinder loading stand.  I'd also give real consideration to the NYM Police from EMF (5 1/2) inch barrels.  Both and or "any" will need a quality tune up for CAS use.  I'd also suggest that "tune up" include Cap Rakes to prevent Cap Jams in the hammer slot.

What are Cap Rakes? I have one Uberti 1861 Navy on which I have done some simple smoothing and added Slix-Shot nipples. That has helped a lot with Cap Jams but not a total cure.

Cactus Jack,

A "Cap Rake" is a pin, added to and centered in the Hammer Channel, on the same plane as the recoil shield.  The pin serves to keep the Cap from blowing off or pulling off the nipple and dropping into the hammer channel, jamming the gun.

Thank you Colorado.

Does anyone have a diagram of how a Cap Rake is installed?

I assume some drilling is involved? 

I expect that would be something that I would need a gunsmith to do?

I can't remember if I replied to this or not, so here goes.  Sorry if it's a repeat.

My wife got me a Pietta 1851 a few (about 16) years ago.  Back when you could get them at Cabelas for $99.  Mine is the .44 "Confederate" Navy model.

The gun is a blast (pun intended) to shoot!  We've had more fun with it than probably any other gun we own.

Even in .44, the powder load is pretty low, so you can shoot a lot without beating yourself up too badly. (Can't say that about my Featherweight carry gun in .38 Special! OUCH!)  Plus, the way the gun is designed, it just feels right, and once you shoot it you'll agree.  Mine is very accurate, and makes me look like a better shooter than I really am. ;)  I'd like to get another to match it, but mine's got a patina on it now that would be hard to match with a new one.

Plus, you get to look like this at the range. ;)

RM

IMG_3251.JPG

Uberti 1851 Navies or 1861s

Smaller Grips than Rugers and 1860s

7 1/2 inch barrels, best pointing guns made ....

Jabez Cowboy

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:59 AM, Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223 said:

How about this;  Belgium 1860 Colt, made in 1960. New, unfired and in the original wrapper and box.

1860 Belgium #302.JPG

That is really sweet Lefty. I have serial no. F144 and love it but yours is the first box I have seen.  If you haven't, you should put your picture on their website.

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l361/decapper/F144_zps798bdd33.jpg

Archived