SASS Wire Forum

Henry big boy...yea or nay? (I already know the answer)

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

My friend and his friend will be joining SASS the have begun to buy guns. For the time being they are planning on sharing the expense of a rifle. One has a mind to get a Henry big boy in 38 spcl.

Please share your opinions good or bad aside from price why he should or should buy this for SASS.

They have already shot one match using my 66 in 44 wcf and 38 spcl Vaqueros

Thanks

Sgt H

I've never owned or shot one BUT every one that I've seen used in a match has had problems. They'll never match a tuned Uberti or Marlin in speed and reliability.

Although my handling of a Henry BB is minimal, I will say this:

it just doesn't have the feel IF the user is wanting to be competitive.

I even worked on one (to some degree) and tried to make it 'feel' competitive, reliable, smooth, etc...

Well, I could get it to function reasonably quick, but it still lacked the reliability and smoothness needed to enjoy shooting with it.

Thats from my personal experience.

..........Widder

I started out with a Hartford 92 in 38 special and that worked out financially for me at the time. I still shoot a 92 in 38spec occasionally but prefer my 66 or 73 in 44/40. The new Rossi 92 is fairly affordable and I would chose that over the Henry Big Boy just because of price. If they want a Henry Big Boy then that is what they should buy. I switched to black powder after two years is the main reason I switched to the 66 and 73. When I shoot smokeless I use my 92.The Henry shoots good out of the box but I did need some work on the new Rossi to make it shoot smooth. Wishing them a good experience in SASS whichever way they go with a rifle. DC

I"ve only seen a few used at matches,and they were slow and clunky compared to all other rifles/carbines.If it is all they can afford,or they just want it, it's better than not shooting.

If they're going for price point, go with a '92 instead. Faster resale within CAS shooters, can be smoothed and heck,

look at it run!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDfN6KOK4N0

:o

Edited by McCandless
  • Like 1

I firmly believe each and every cowboy action shooter but me should have a Henry Big Boy.

I believe you should have to use a big boy as well as a single shot shotgun and a pair of schofields. It's the only way the rest of us mortals even stand a chance haha.

I own one in 44 mag .

I did not buy it for Cowboy .

I tryed it one time so I could speak from experience.

It works slowly and run it hard it will work.

I run a clean match the one time I used it.

I will never use one again.

It will never be competitive.

But I have seen serval cowboys run them slowly with little fuss.

Again I say they can run, But slowly .

If you try to run with any speed, The wheels will come off the bus.

A 92 would be a much much better option !

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne

NAY on the Big Boy !!!!

Nothing but problems if you try to run it fast ..... No speed parts available ....

They Don't need the hassle ....

Jabez Cowboy

Maybe these Gents just want to have fun. Nothing wrong with that. If they want to use a Henry then that's fine. To some this game isn't all about competition and speed.

Had one forever. My .357Magnum Big Boy is smooth and extremely accurate. I use it as a loaner for newbies. My .44 Magnum is real tack drive and and has allowed me to get a perfect score at SASS matches. My .45 Colt has been my regular rifle shooting black powder forever. I don't know how to count the many thousands of rounds of warthog loads

of Holy Black I have fired out of it.

I have won my current and previous category multiple times. Unfortunately, as an octogenarian, no one can accuse me as a challenge to the overall champion of upper level competitions.

Henry Big Boys received their original dislike because purists were upset because they have no relation to a true Henry and because their bras finish further angered them.

Big Boy==just an exercise in frustration. If they were a good choice for CAS we would see them being used at matches. If it is a price point thing go for a '92. If they just want a "Henry" tell 'em to buy one and stick it back in the closet somewhere.

Blackfoot

I have several riles that I use...

A (real) Henry, 66, 73, several 92's, a Spencer and a Lightning.

I enjoy them all, but the Lightning is my personal favorite. (Go fig)

I did get a chance to use a .38 Big Boy at a match recently when I had a problem with my own rifle. I found it to be be a little awkward, loading like a .22, and the action was, to me, a little clunky feeling. In spite of that, it worked the way it was supposed to, and I never had any problems with it. It was also accurate as all get out, which impressed me. The only real drawback I experienced was hot gasses burning my right wrist upon brass ejection. (I shoot left handed.) I assume the Marlin has a similar problem for those of us of a sinister nature (look it up) but I do not know from experience.

Bottom line; based upon actually SHOOTING a Big Boy, I found it to be functional, but something that did not appeal to me for various reasons.

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Have any of you done a search in new 92's? The supply is dwindling.

I disagree on that comment.

I have been to three gun shows in the last month and there was lots of 92s.

If you go on Gunbrokers there are lots of 92s.

The real complait should be Not everyone is giving them away anymore.

They are great guns and with a little spring work .

They can be made to run pritty very well.

Before short stroke kits come about for 66s and 73s.

The best fastest rifles was a 92 and a Marlin.

Alot of cowboys just hang on to there 92s now.

Not every one is about speed and most cowboys cant out run the 92 anyways.

But there is a lot of 92s New out there.

And the New Marlins are pretty good now also.

You all have a Marry Christmas now you hear !

Considering we used to have 50-60 thousand active members and now have roughly 30 thousand active, there should be many used guns available. I've shot Big Boys they will get the job done, just not as quickly as other rifles. They do have some flaws. 92's back in the day were the top guns used by many champions, they are still available. If the shooters are just in it for the fun the Big Boy will work until they tire of it and they decide on a faster cycling rifle.

Maybe these Gents just want to have fun. Nothing wrong with that. If they want to use a Henry then that's fine. To some this game isn't all about competition and speed.

^ This. I started SASS with a Big Boy. They're incredibly smooth right out of the box and backed by some of the best customer service in the gun industry. I never experienced the jamming problems others have mentioned. Ran flawlessly when I did my part. That being said, they can't be run fast nor be made to run fast. So if the shooters in question are satisfied with a rifle that works perfectly yet at slow speeds, the Big Boy is just fine. If they'll get frustrated by a rifle that will give them problems if they try to run it too fast, they need to look elsewhere.

I disagree on that comment.

I have been to three gun shows in the last month and there was lots of 92s.

If you go on Gunbrokers there are lots of 92s.

The real complait should be Not everyone is giving them away anymore.

They are great guns and with a little spring work .

They can be made to run pritty very well.

Before short stroke kits come about for 66s and 73s.

The best fastest rifles was a 92 and a Marlin.

Alot of cowboys just hang on to there 92s now.

Not every one is about speed and most cowboys cant out run the 92 anyways.

But there is a lot of 92s New out there.

And the New Marlins are pretty good now also.

You all have a Marry Christmas now you hear !

I agree with you on Gun Broker but if you want to buy a new one from a distributor or a gun store you can get carbines easily enough but the supply of 20" and 24" rifles is nil.

A lot of folks won't / don't buy guns at auctions for one reason or another. In my area there are none and there are none at the last 3 gun shows I have been to. Not sure why.

I got 1 once in a trade, biggest mistake I've made in awhile. No way would I sell it to someone for CAS. It took me forever to get rid of it 'cause I was honest about how reliable it was (not). I like that it is made in the US, but the gun is a bad joke when used in CAS. If you want to be frustrated, vote Democrat, but use a different rifle!

I agree with you on Gun Broker but if you want to buy a new one from a distributor or a gun store you can get carbines easily enough but the supply of 20" and 24" rifles is nil.

A lot of folks won't / don't buy guns at auctions for one reason or another. In my area there are none and there are none at the last 3 gun shows I have been to. Not sure why.

We have a local dealer hear who has 92s on the shelf all the time.

I was just in the store this morning.

They have a 45 , 44mag and a 357 all 20 " setting on the shelf.

But like I said the new Remlins are pretty good now.

I have a Big Boy in 45 Colt in my safe that I bought brand new. I started CAS 4 years ago last month & I used the Henry in my first match. It jammed on the 2nd stage with 8 rounds in the pipe. Everyone clued me in that the Big Boy is a beautiful deer rifle, but can't take CAS speeds. I bought a 73, had it slicked up, & never looked back. I still like to look at the Big Boy, but I haven't shot it since.

I firmly believe each and every cowboy action shooter but me should have a Henry Big Boy.

exactly....Haha

Another Henry Big Boy thread :wacko:

Happy Winter.

Regards,

Ringer

Seems to be a whole lot of Henry hate'n going on here. As new shooter (one match) I hope to get good enough to where my Henry Big Boy is what is slowing me down, but for right now I need to improve 'my" skills before considering a new and expensive slicked up 73.

All of that being said I did send my BB back to Henry and they smoothed the entrance to the chamber, and I followed my older brother's advice and worked the lever while watching TV. These actions plus using ammo that it likes (Oregon trail laser-cast 140g FP) gives me good performance. In my first match my Henry only wasted maybe 5~6 seconds on just one stage with a failure to eject a spent brass. Another fellow with a Henry did not have any trouble. He was about the same time as I was. Not every 73 was perfect at that match. For now the $500 I saved on a Henry vs a 73 from Taylors I was able to get a gun belt, holsters and shotgun shell belt just the way I want them. This winter I will practice putting snap caps from my belt into my shotgun, dry firing at targets, becoming more familiar with the shooting sequences.

When "I" get a lot faster then I may think about another rifle if I am faster than what I have now.

Regards

Chestnut Louie

Seems to be a whole lot of Henry hate'n going on here. As new shooter (one match) I hope to get good enough to where my Henry Big Boy is what is slowing me down, but for right now I need to improve 'my" skills before considering a new and expensive slicked up 73.

All of that being said I did send my BB back to Henry and they smoothed the entrance to the chamber, and I followed my older brother's advice and worked the lever while watching TV. These actions plus using ammo that it likes (Oregon trail laser-cast 140g FP) gives me good performance. In my first match my Henry only wasted maybe 5~6 seconds on just one stage with a failure to eject a spent brass. Another fellow with a Henry did not have any trouble. He was about the same time as I was. Not every 73 was perfect at that match. For now the $500 I saved on a Henry vs a 73 from Taylors I was able to get a gun belt, holsters and shotgun shell belt just the way I want them. This winter I will practice putting snap caps from my belt into my shotgun, dry firing at targets, becoming more familiar with the shooting sequences.

When "I" get a lot faster then I may think about another rifle if I am faster than what I have now.

Regards

Chestnut Louie

Put in the one piece Marlin ejector (drops right in). I found it helps, also a lever wrap so you do not short stroke it which is a prime reason for the big boy to catch brass

I guess the "new" Henry's took the place of Winchester 94's as the bane of the CAS society.

You know, it's funny, I used a '94 for years. It was terrible the way that thing frustrated other people. Oh sure, it wasn't perfect and had a hitch on occasion, but some folks got so aggravated about it. I finally took pity on 'em and got a Marlin. Darn shame to watch grown men get so twisted up about an inanimate object that they didn't have to pay for or even shoot. It was the darndest thing...

Kindest regards,

Pat (what's pokin' fun) Riot

I guess the "new" Henry's took the place of Winchester 94's as the bane of the CAS society.

You know, it's funny, I used a '94 for years. It was terrible the way that thing frustrated other people. Oh sure, it wasn't perfect and had a hitch on occasion, but some folks got so aggravated about it. I finally took pity on 'em and got a Marlin. Darn shame to watch grown men get so twisted up about an inanimate object that they didn't have to pay for or even shoot. It was the darndest thing...

Kindest regards,

Pat (what's pokin' fun) Riot

YEP, we are a peculiar breed.

I kinda faced the same situation the first few years shooting my Marlin with folks who had some fancy 73's.

Wew, I loved those 73's in both their looks and functioning. And nearly all my shooting Pards were nudging me to dump the Marlin and get a nice 73.

BUT, for some reason, I just couldn't shoulder one of them as well as I could my 1894 Marlin.

Sooooo, I stuck with my Marlin. And to this day, I still shoot my Marlin, which will perform as well as any 73 on the firing line.

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054
  • Like 1

YEP, we are a peculiar breed.

I kinda faced the same situation the first few years shooting my Marlin with folks who had some fancy 73's.

Wew, I loved those 73's in both their looks and functioning. And nearly all my shooting Pards were nudging me to dump the Marlin and get a nice 73.

BUT, for some reason, I just couldn't shoulder one of them as well as I could my 1894 Marlin.

Sooooo, I stuck with my Marlin. And to this day, I still shoot my Marlin, which will perform as well as any 73 on the firing line.

..........Widder

That's funny Widder. I remember when I got my Marlin Cowboy Comp people still said "Ya need a '73" or "Ya need a '66".

Well, I pick up my '92 today...I am sure I will hear about that from some well meaning Pard.

My friend and his friend will be joining SASS the have begun to buy guns. For the time being they are planning on sharing the expense of a rifle. One has a mind to get a Henry big boy in 38 spcl.

Please share your opinions good or bad aside from price why he should or should buy this for SASS.

They have already shot one match using my 66 in 44 wcf and 38 spcl Vaqueros

Thanks

Sgt H

If you and your friends are planning on attending the January Perry County Indoor Match they are more than welcome to use my backup 92 for the match and if they want they can try my Codymatic for a stage. I will be there along with Killer Rabbit and we share the Codymatic so it isn't a problem with the slicked up Rossi 92. I always have plenty of extra 38 spl with me so that isn't a problem either. I will probably be at the February match also.

Lee