SASS Wire Forum

Double Action Revolvers

Looks like I'm leaning toward S&W. So what caliber and why? I'm favoring 44 mag simply because I don't own anything that takes small primers. It's not a deal breaker/maker, however.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what Elmer Keith said "big bullets make big holes let out a lot of blood and let in a lot of air" for work and play I like big bores with the exception of the 500 its a good gun but its single action counterpart handles better and the 475 /480 does a better job in my opinion. The double actions I like and shoot, in order of preference .41 mag, 45 LC, 41 spec, 45 acp, .357, 44 mag, .38 spec, 38 s&w

Looks like I'm leaning toward S&W. So what caliber and why? I'm favoring 44 mag simply because I don't own anything that takes small primers. It's not a deal breaker/maker, however.

Or 41?

41 is sweet - got both a Model 58 and a OM Ruger in it. But your choice of factory ammo is quite limited, and when you CAN find it, it's expensive as hell. Components are not the easiest to find.

And unlike its big and little brothers, there is nothing else that will fit it. 44 you can also shoot both special and Russian, while 357 gives you three different sizes of smaller 38s.

41 is sweet - got both a Model 58 and a OM Ruger in it. But your choice of factory ammo is quite limited, and when you CAN find it, it's expensive as hell. Components are not the easiest to find.

And unlike its big and little brothers, there is nothing else that will fit it. 44 you can also shoot both special and Russian, while 357 gives you three different sizes of smaller 38s.

There is the 41 Special.....

Don't forget the model 57. You still have work to do to complete the collection. :)

Taurus 450 for me. Five shot, .45 Colt, stainless, 2 1/2" barrel. Pretty danged accurate for a snubby and it's got enough heft to handle recoil well.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

My favorite was my Colt Python with a four in Bbl and custom Coco Bolo stocks. Like a fool , I sold it to a cousin in Texas 15 years ago!

Cheers, Hoss

You asked for opinions and boy you sure got them. I'll add mine just because I think I know a little after having worked on and shot a lot of them. You said a 6 1/2" barrel so I don't expect you're talking everyday carry. Not that you couldn't but why would you want to?

1. Colt can be very sweet shooters, smooth as silk and fragile as eggs. Something like an Officers Target model is a joy to shoot and a nightmare to work on and time up.

2. S&W Great revolvers. easy to work on and sweett to shoot I have a model 15 that is smooth as glass but then it's been slicked up. love it for target work but still to big for me to carry comfortably.

3. Ruger Hell for stout! If you want a revolver that just doesn't break the GP100 or old Security Six it IT! not as smooth or pretty as the S&W but tough as nails. Mt son just bought a GP 100 Match Champion and it is the best of both worlds if .357 is your choice.

4. Charter Arms, I think there are overlooked by many but I happen to favor them as carry guns. Why? They are inexpensive compared to the others and a carry gun gets exposed to a lot of sweat and humidity in the summer. They are available in .44 special at a reasonable price and if you ever have to use it the police are going to take it. I'd hate to lose a nice S&W or Ruger but with a Charter Arms, who cares.

To carry, I like my S&W Model 37 Airweight. Light and easy enough to conceal.

A wiser man than I, when asked that very question, replied that it was like asking the Sheikh his favorite of all his harem.

Each has its particular charms; to pick a favorite, to the exclusion of all the others, would be difficult indeed!

I've always admired, desired, and wish I had a Model 29-2. But alas, I have never been able to bring myself to part with the cash required. But, if I were buying my first double action revolver, it'd be a S&W Model 29-2 with a 6.5-inch barrel. I'd probably shoot mostly .44 Specials.

I've always admired, desired, and wish I had a Model 29-2. But alas, I have never been able to bring myself to part with the cash required. But, if I were buying my first double action revolver, it'd be a S&W Model 29-2 with a 6.5-inch barrel. I'd probably shoot mostly .44 Specials.

When I think 44 mag, I can't lie and say Dirty Harry isn't my first thought haha. That might get the perfect one, but you're right in that it is pricey. Not that price has ever stopped me before, just simply delayed me. I should have added in my original post that a colt SAA grip is darn near perfection for me so I'd like something that felt nearly as good as that. My hands are small

Who has experience with the Ruger SP101? I am interested to hear your impressions?

Seamus

I've got a 4" 101 in 22. I was looking for a Model 18 and could not find one, and did not want to bob the nose of my 17, so got this Ruger. I shot it a bit - not bad.

Then I walked into an 18, and the Ruger has been in the safe ever since. It's stainless, which is nice, and it's hell for strong. But there just ain't no comparing a Ruger action with a Smith.

I'm going to jump on the S&W Model 19 bandwagon. Actually, mine is a Model 66 which is just the Stainless version of the 19. Sah-wheeeet trigger pull and about as accurate a handgun as I've ever fired.

My first duty gun. I bought it used and added some Pachmayr grips. I was thinking "Python" when I bought it, but python's were 3-4 X the price of a S&W and I was on a pretty severe budget at the time. I've never regretted the purchase and I still have it. It's one of only two "modern" revolvers I own. The other is a S&W Model 49 snub-nose, shrouded hammer .38 Special I used to carry as a backup or off-duty.

Angus

When I think 44 mag, I can't lie and say Dirty Harry isn't my first thought haha. That might get the perfect one, but you're right in that it is pricey. Not that price has ever stopped me before, just simply delayed me. I should have added in my original post that a colt SAA grip is darn near perfection for me so I'd like something that felt nearly as good as that. My hands are small

Kid, I also have small hands. I do like Altamont grips. I understand that Altamont is now making grips for S&W.

http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/smith_and_wesson/

In fact, I put these Smith and Wesson J Square Fingergroove Super Rosewood Checkered Fleur-de-Lis grips on my little S&W Model 34-1 Kit gun. Mine are in walnut. Perfection!

http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/smith_and_wesson/#Smith_and_Wesson_J_Square.php

Who has experience with the Ruger SP101? I am interested to hear your impressions?

Seamus

As a plain clothes officer I carried one for years as an office gun. It is one of the best 5 shot revolvers out there, Built like a tank, nice smooth trigger pull after a spring change. The only drawback is that it is all steel and heavy, but that weight comes in handy when you touch off a .357 round. I wish I still had it but I had to turn it in when I retired

Carry= S&W 432 .32 Mag Centinnial Jframe DAO

Light duty= Ruger SP 101, .357 mag, 4.2" barrel, adj sights, Wolff spring kit

Heavy duty= I want a Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt/.45acp so bad that it hurts.

My old S&W Model 19. Best revolver I ever had.

Yup. S&W M 19 blue 4", pinned barrel, recessed cylinder, firing pin on the hammer. I carried it for 17 years before the PD switched to the Glock 22/23. I went through a lot of doors with that gun. I still have it. It has some good, honest holster wear.

Wife has a Ruger SP 101 in .357. After cleaning it up a little in side and a set of Wolff springs and a Hogue grip it is very nice.

Any of the S&W N-frames pretty much does it for me. Fun to shoot, enjoy the curves and lines and a fine piece of art that functions very well. The K-frames (k-38, K-32 & K-22) are very-very nice too. Oh ya, don't forget the model 19 too

Have no desire to carry one for CCW either. I got better guns for self protection while afoot or shaded up.

I have a Colt Diamondback 4 inch .22 LR. Great revolver, but I keep it mostly because it was a gift from my wife.

For shooting pleasure, I like my S&W K-Frames, all blued 4 inch guns; Models 10, 15, 18 (the .22 Combat Masterpiece) and 19. My favorite is the one in my hand at the moment. Single action trigger in each one is the classic "glass rod snapping" at about 2.5 lbs. Double action trigger is butter smooth.

I know it's heresy, but the Smiths are better than the Colt.

Probably my all time favorite was a mid 70s Colt Python. With Herrett Shooting Star grips, it felt like it was made for my hand. Smooth D.A. too. Lost it over twenty years ago.

My current favorite has to be, believe it or don't, a Taurus 85, blued, three inch barrel. It's my first choice far CCW. It's probably going to be replaced, though, by another three inch Taurus 85, but in stainless that I just acquired. I haven't had a chance to range test it yet, but the action is nice.

I like these Taurus guns so much that I have five of them. Two of the two inch, blued, one two inch stainless, (wife's CCW), and the aforementioned three inchers.

Here are my favorites.

From left to right -

460 - no dash, 460 magnum

657 - 3, 41 magnum

629 - no dash, 44 magnum

686 - no dash, 357 magnum

model 500 - no dash, 500 S&W magnum

Love those shiny magnum Smiths!!!

http://smith%20and%20wesson2.jpg

Regards

Gateway Kid

PS these are all virtual photos from someone who might actually own firearms :P

For me, my favorite double-action revolver has always been the Ruger Security-Six. The revolver is built like a tank, and can fire full powered .357 Magnum rounds all day long with no problems. I've since replaced the original factory wood grips on mine with a pair of Pachmayr Gripper grips.

DSC00605.jpg

Here are my favorites.

From left to right -

460 - no dash, 460 magnum

657 - 3, 41 magnum

629 - no dash, 44 magnum

686 - no dash, 357 magnum

model 500 - no dash, 500 S&W magnum

Love those shiny magnum Smiths!!!

http://smith%20and%20wesson2.jpg

Regards

Gateway Kid

PS these are all virtual photos from someone who might actually own firearms :P

That's a nice lineup right there

I would recommend one of S&W's newest revolvers, the Model 69. It is a 5" five shot L Frame, chambered in 44mag. Loaded with 44 Spl ammo, it would be pleasant to shoot all day long. Easy to carry, in a quality holster, too. Just my two cents worth.

Moose

My little brother swears by his Dan Wesson 44 magnum. He has 2", 4", 6", and 8" barrels and shrouds for it. He's a little crazy. He usually shoots loads just short of proof through it. Is sounds like a small artillery piece and throws six inch flames that you can see in direct sunlight out of the shorter barrels. I use two hands on the very rare occasion that I shoot it, as well as my custom ear plugs AND a set of zero decibel muffs. You can STILL hear it.

That may be the toughest handgun I've ever seen. Like I said, HE'S CRAZY!!

Archived