SASS Wire Forum

Double Action Revolvers

I was able to handle a S&W 686 with 6 inch barrel at the local store and I was really impressed. I also played with the 4 inch as well as the ruger GP 100. I didn't like the feel of the ruger nearly as much, not to mention the trigger pulls. I think I am leaning toward the 686. It comes in 6 or 7 round cylinders. Is there any downside to 7 round cylinders? Less options for speed loaders perhaps? Anything else. Thanks again for everyone's help.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just buy it.

You are overthinking it. I've never had nor needed a speed loader.

You do make a good point. I can't imagine using this gun for anything serious other occasionally as a backup for pig/bear hunting. Other than that, it'll be plinking only. And with factory ammo since I'm not planning on reloading this caliber.

My favorite double action revolver is my S&W 629 .44 magnum. Mine has a 5" barrel. I once owned a model 29 with a 4" barrel (the Dirty Harry gun but shorter), but I had to send it back to S&W for a minor repair. It needed a new hand fitted due to a timing problem. This should have been a fairly routine repair, but they somehow managed to CRACK THE FRAME! They threw it in the incinerator before they even told me about it. The 629 I own was their apology to me.

It is a better gun than the 29 was, I'll admit. I've also developed 3 reloads for it, and all do exactly what I want them to :)

S&W 686 with 6 in. barrel. The most comfortable and accurate double action I have ever shot.

I just bought one of these and haven't shot it yet!!!

I also own a S&W model 15, and a Colt King Cobra. The King Cobra was the stainless steel gun, not the aluminum Cobra; they have similar names but were vastly different guns.

I was able to handle a S&W 686 with 6 inch barrel at the local store and I was really impressed. I also played with the 4 inch as well as the ruger GP 100. I didn't like the feel of the ruger nearly as much, not to mention the trigger pulls. I think I am leaning toward the 686. It comes in 6 or 7 round cylinders. Is there any downside to 7 round cylinders? Less options for speed loaders perhaps? Anything else. Thanks again for everyone's help.

The only downside I can think of is that if you want to shoot IDPA, they force you to reload after 6 rounds are fired so that having a 7-round revolver is not a gaming advantage. It's not really a downside, it's more of a moot point. If you're not going to shoot IDPA, no worries.

Yes there is a downside to a seven round gun, a big one. The reload is slower than a six shot and for anything that allows 8 shots you are a round down. The six shot revolver loads faster with moonclips than an eight, but the extra two rounds more than evens out the disparity. With the seven shot revolver you are both plagued with the slower reload and the lack of the one extra round. It was an idea that failed to die when the eight shots came out.

Look into a 627 or a 327. You will be money ahead and heartache behind.

idpa is a stupid gun game with arbitrary rules. Why be silly and load two charge holes empty? Especially when I get a procedural for any extra shots? Just shoot NFC.

The only downside I can think of is that if you want to shoot IDPA, they force you to reload after 6 rounds are fired so that having a 7-round revolver is not a gaming advantage. It's not really a downside, it's more of a moot point. If you're not going to shoot IDPA, no worries.

I am not usually one to get guns or gear that may preclude me from a shooting sport or event that I might one day participate in, even though I don't currently. That being said, I figure if I ever did get into IDPA, my 1911 would work just fine.

Yes there is a downside to a seven round gun, a big one. The reload is slower than a six shot and for anything that allows 8 shots you are a round down. The six shot revolver loads faster with moonclips than an eight, but the extra two rounds more than evens out the disparity. With the seven shot revolver you are both plagued with the slower reload and the lack of the one extra round. It was an idea that failed to die when the eight shots came out.

Look into a 627 or a 327. You will be money ahead and heartache behind.

idpa is a stupid gun game with arbitrary rules. Why be silly and load two charge holes empty? Especially when I get a procedural for any extra shots? Just shoot NFC.

I am having a bit of trouble following you here. What do you mean the reload is slower on a 7 shot, but not on an 8? Are you speaking about competition or something? There is probably a 1% chance at best that I will ever use this gun for more than hunting and plinking.

627 and 327 don't come in 6" I believe, correct?

I am having a bit of trouble following you here. What do you mean the reload is slower on a 7 shot, but not on an 8? Are you speaking about competition or something? There is probably a 1% chance at best that I will ever use this gun for more than hunting and plinking.

627 and 327 don't come in 6" I believe, correct?

The moonclip takes a little longer to fall in the cylinder as there are more parts to align and such. Right now the gun to have for ICORE and USPSA is an eight shot because you have makeups immediately available for ICORE and the target arrays are maximum eight shots in USPSA. The eight shot is also slower than the six, but having 33% more ammunition onboard offsets this handily. I believe that the longest barrel offered at this time in .357 is 5". My 8 shot 9mm has a 6.5 inch barrel. With the amount of barrel to cylinder gap, I am willing to bet that anything over 4" is not providing any benefit other than sight radius. Max barrel length of four inches keeps you legal for all games including idpa. Realistically in hunting, unless you are a competition revolver shooter, I'm betting you won't have the opportunity for more than two shots on game without a hit, so cylinder capacity is moot.

SW 686, 586 if you want blue. I'm still torn on which I like better.

I have a 6" 686 and a 2.5" 686. L frame, so it's big, but it can handle a 357 no problem.

I shoot PPC with both of them, so they get lots of use with light loads...and i was given a bag of a couple of hundred full house 357 for when the urge arises.

I saw a 44mag snubbie in the store last year...sooo tempting. to buy, not shoot. Friend has a M29 and it's sweet.

A few guys at the range have K frame 'bill davis' PPC revolvers. Bull barreled monsters with huge aristocrat sights.

I shoot IDPA with a revolver, a Ruger GP-100 Match Champion. Also use a tricked out S&W Mod. 10 2" for BUG (IDPA Backup Gun) on occasion. The Ruger sights are better than S&W sights (Novak rear & green fiber optic front). Also have a S&W Mod. 14 which is a fine gun, but not IDPA legal.

The S&W's are really nice in balance, looks, quality and operation. The Ruger is a tool that works great. It would be my last gun to get rid of when I downsize.

Dan Wesson, Model 15 in .357. At one point in time Dan Wessons had won more national match shoots than all other revolvers combined. Don't know if that's still true. Read up on Dan Wesson. They're so good that owners typically take great care of them, and you can pick up a six inch for $500 if you're good at online auctions, and patient. It's as underrated as Python is overrated. Try it, you'll see! You will not be disappointed.

Why is a 14 not IDPA legal?

I just downloaded the rules, and the only thing I could come up with was "too heavy". But it's got to be lighter than a GP100, so that must not be it.

I be puzzled.

ALPO - IDPA has a max barrel length of 4.25" for revolvers (rule 8.2.5.3.3); my S&W Mod 14 has a 6" barrel. Not going to cut it.

It's my understanding that 4.2" is the Canadian legal max length. Lots of Canadian IDPA shooters.

Dan Wesson, Model 15 in .357. At one point in time Dan Wessons had won more national match shoots than all other revolvers combined. Don't know if that's still true. Read up on Dan Wesson. They're so good that owners typically take great care of them, and you can pick up a six inch for $500 if you're good at online auctions, and patient. It's as underrated as Python is overrated. Try it, you'll see! You will not be disappointed.

Unfortunately, Dan Wesson is out for me because I live in California and it isn't on the roster of allowed guns. The only chance I have would be to find a fellow Californian that wanted to get rid of theirs and could PPT it to me. I am also a bit out of luck on getting a 686 at a good online deal as well, since they have to be stamped special with an A or B on the frame in order to be legal here. That means the ones that gun stores have are listed right around MSRP. Thank god the single actions are exempt, as I have never had any of the issues getting my Colts in that I am now having with these double actions. I will most likely have to hold off for now. Thanks again for all the help folks.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Dan Wesson is out for me because I live in California and it isn't on the roster of allowed guns. The only chance I have would be to find a fellow Californian that wanted to get rid of theirs and could PPT it to me. I am also a bit out of luck on getting a 686 at a good online deal as well, since they have to be stamped special with an A or B on the frame in order to be legal here. That means the ones that gun stores have are listed right around MSRP. Thank god the single actions are exempt, as I have never had any of the issues getting my Colts in that I am now having with these double actions. I will most likely have to hold off for now. Thanks again for all the help folks.

Wow, I looked at the list. California will allow zinc alloy Hi Point semi-autos, but not classic Dan Wesson revolvers. That is simply amazing!

But it's crazy here too. Illinois will not allow Hi Point pistols, because of the archaic "melting point law." But that law is totally unenforced and you can buy Hi Points just about anywhere. They're actually good guns, with a lifetime transferable warranty. But they sure are ugly lookin'.

Wow, I looked at the list. California will allow zinc alloy Hi Point semi-autos, but not classic Dan Wesson revolvers. That is simply amazing!

But it's crazy here too. Illinois will not allow Hi Point pistols, because of the archaic "melting point law." But that law is totally unenforced and you can buy Hi Points just about anywhere. They're actually good guns, with a lifetime transferable warranty. But they sure are ugly lookin'.

From what I understand about the law, which honestly isn't much since the law is probably some 6000 pages knowing California, it is up to the manufacturer to get the gone approved. I think there is a fee and they have to surrender one of each model they want to be allowed on the list. So it is possible, and I have seen it, that a blue gun is allowed but the nickel or stainless isn't because one model number was registered and the other wasn't . So in your example above, perhaps the Hi Point sent there gun and fee in while the Dan Wesson did not, which would be the only reason I can think of for one and not the other.

From what I understand about the law, which honestly isn't much since the law is probably some 6000 pages knowing California, it is up to the manufacturer to get the gone approved. I think there is a fee and they have to surrender one of each model they want to be allowed on the list. So it is possible, and I have seen it, that a blue gun is allowed but the nickel or stainless isn't because one model number was registered and the other wasn't . So in your example above, perhaps the Hi Point sent there gun and fee in while the Dan Wesson did not, which would be the only reason I can think of for one and not the other.

Well, thanks, that makes sense! CZ bought Dan Wesson and is once again cranking out the revolvers in addition to semi-autos.

Well, thanks, that makes sense! CZ bought Dan Wesson and is once again cranking out the revolvers in addition to semi-autos.

If that is the case, then maybe they are approved. I'll have to look it up. Any idea what CZ is calling those guns?

If that is the case, then maybe they are approved. I'll have to look it up. Any idea what CZ is calling those guns?

the CZ DW 715 Revolver . See it here: http://cz-usa.com/product/dan-wesson-715-revolver-cal-357-magnum-stainless/

Well, I only have one virtual DA revolver and it is a S&W model 442 Airweight in 38 special. It is hammerless and makes

what I believe, a great carry gun. That said, the best shooting DA revolver was one that I only shot at the range and belonged

to a friend of mine. It was a S&W Model 19. What a sweetheart. All of the others are big mouth SA dudes.

My backup carry piece is a S&W 638. Horrible factory DA trigger pull. Spring kits and trigger jobs for it are easy to come by and not too hard to do yourself if you have any experience with that.

Got my wife a Ruger GP100 in 357 for Christmas a few years back.

Had a Ruger LCR but traded it off for my 2nd Vaquero for CAS.

Out of the 3, I like them in order of how they are listed. I really didn't like the feel of the LCR. In my opinion, if you're going small frame you can't beat the Smith. The GP100 feels nice, shoots well, and is as accurate as I am. I haven't shot a similar Smith to compare it to. I have shot a Taurus before. I don't remember which model. It was alright. With their inconsistency though, I would stick with S&W, Colt, and Ruger.

Well, since we're working on three pages and I haven't seen anyone mention it, I thought I would bring up the S&W Model 65 (or its blued counterpart, the 13). I enjoy shooting the Model 65, although I tend to shoot far more .38 through it than .357.

If I were buying new today, I would look at the Ruger GP100 for taking to the range and in the home, or the SP101 for carry. I prefer a firearm with at least a little weight, compared to the S&W Airweights and the LCRs, but that is because I don't find range time with the lighter ones pleasant.

I would also love to get my hands on a S&W Model 36, though. Except I have no doubt Mrs. Doc would take it.

I traded my S&W 65 + some cash for a Ruger GP-100 "Match Champion" to get better sights. The 65 had a classic grove sight on the top strap; the Ruger has a Novak rear and a green fiber optic front. The 65 had recessed chambers which made it somewhat slow during speed reloads. I use them for IDPA. They both handle well, are totally reliable and use same holsters/speed loaders. I also like the Ruger stock as its longer than the S&W. Both of these are ideal for woods carry using full-load .357's.

I prefer a firearm with at least a little weight, compared to the S&W Airweights and the LCRs, but that is because I don't find range time with the lighter ones pleasant.

I think the same way. That's why my Taurus 85s are steel frame. Number one, I like the weight to be reminded that it's there, and number two, if it's unpleasant to shoot, I wouldn't train with them.

One that I would love to buy is the S&W Governor. That would be one fun trip each time it went to the range. I don't think I would like to regularly shoot heavy 410's out of it though. Seems like that could get hard on the wrists.

My old S&W Model 19. Best revolver I ever had.

Ditto for my Model 19, early 1980's vintage with recessed chambers. Best shooting revolver I ever had, still have, or likely ever will have. It will be among the last guns I let go of before they trundle me off for the Masonic Home.

Archived