SASS Wire Forum

Double Action Revolvers

Ok fellows, I didn't want to start this thread in the main forum since it's a bit OT, so I thought I would ask here. What's your favorite double action revolver? All of my revolvers are single action. I once had a S&W 38 special that I occasionally carried back when I lived in a state that allows concealed carry, but have since sold it off. But suddenly I have been getting this hankering for a double action revolver. Since I know very little, can some of you more knowledgeable folks break it down for me? Where would you rank them in quality? Cost (python?), Calibers? Of course the all too important looks matter as well. I prefer something in the 6" range. Ok so this should be fun. Thanks fellas

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3" LCR-X 38 special. Weighs next to nothing, adjustable sights. A perfect packin' pistol. #2 LCR-X 38. #3 9mm LCR.. Yeah I love the new Rooger line. Ugly but just right for the belt, pocket or ankle. I need a few more especially the 22 and 22 mag. Also the 327 Fed

My old S&W Model 19. Best revolver I ever had.

Howdy

For target shooting etc:S&W 625. 5 inch.

that's 45acp moon clips

For carry ruger lcr 9mm.

Moon clips optional.

Different tools for different tasks.

If you just want a .22 for plinking I would say get a ruger mkII semi auto.

But a friend of mine gets great results from his little .22 S&W six shooter.

I don't know the model.

Those colt snake guns are and really always have been Expensive.

But if you take care of whatever you buy it probably will go up in value.

MOST good guns stay right with inflation.

and as always for the thousandth time, try b4uby.

Best

CR

It would have to be a Colt Thunderer or Lightning although I never owned one I think they're cool as all get out!!

As far as shooting one? S&W Model 19 with a 4" barrel. :)

The Missus really likes her hammerless S & W .38 revolver, no hammer to get caught on anything! Short barrel however.

I agree with Bob the Model 19 is one of the best mid size carry revolvers ever made as long as you stay away from the .357 magnums. It was the first service revolver I ever bought and I still have it. My favorite DA revolver is the S&W Model 17. Mine has 10's of thousands of rounds through it and t's still going strong. The Ruger GP 100 is a tank and will digest any reasonable and some not so reasonable loads without flinching. Pythons are very expensive and way over rated. As a police department armorer I found them to be very fragile

Oh my which one; basically any S&W, of course we all have favorites Models 10, 19, 25, 625, 686 are all good candidates. I do like my triggers worked on for a smoother double action.

I agree with Bob the Model 19 is one of the best mid size carry revolvers ever made as long as you stay away from the .357 magnums. It was the first service revolver I ever bought and I still have it. My favorite DA revolver is the S&W Model 17. Mine has 10's of thousands of rounds through it and t's still going strong. The Ruger GP 100 is a tank and will digest any reasonable and some not so reasonable loads without flinching. Pythons are very expensive and way over rated. As a police department armorer I found them to be very fragile

It seems that model 19 is the favorite so far, but what other caliber does it come in besides 357? What would you recommend?

JUst a personal experience item.

I have shoot single action since I was 7 years old.

I had the chance to shoot a Python.

Everything went fine at first.

I would draw the revolver and shoot it double action.

But when I tried to speed up, I found that my single action experience kicked in and I tried to shoot the Python as a single action.

Turned out by the second or third shoot, the double action mechanics would hang up as I tried to cock the hammer.

My opinion is the Python is a double action only revolver for those of us who shoot single action gun regularly.

I do have a double action Tarus 65 that shoots well as a single action.

Enough that I trust it.

It seems that model 19 is the favorite so far, but what other caliber does it come in besides 357? What would you recommend?

The Model 19 is a .357 magnum it's the only caliber it comes in. My comment has to do with the fact that it is notorious for having a forcing cone that is undercut and will not stand up to modern high velocity loads. I had mine do this twice before retiring it in favor of a GP100. It's a great gun as long as you limit it to .38

Ruger's GP100 Match Champion in tree fiddy seben. I believe it's a modern classic along the lines of S&W 19/ 66.

I love wheel guns, Ruger's and S&W's. for IDPA IPSC etc. I like my 625 4", for fishing I carry a S&W 500 except when deer season overlaps fishing then it's my 629 (the 500 makes a mess). When hunting I carry a Single Six.

I have shot about every double action on the market. Blindfold me and I can tell what brand I'm holding by how the double action feels.

They are all good in their own ways, but I am a Smith & Wesson guy myself. They just have a smoothness that is unmatched.

After that, caliber, frame size (weight), and barrel length are personal preference.

My carry gun is a hammerless J-frame. Five shots of 38+P with the ultimate point-and-click interface.

My favorite gun is a 686 in 357 with a 6" barrel and an action job. Smooth as well aged bourbon.

If you can find one, Smith made the 696 a few years ago. It was a 5 shot 44 special built on the mid-weight L-frame and a 3" barrel. It's one of the few guns I regret not buying when I had the chance.

What do you want to do with it?

If you want a big bore "carry it in the woods" gun, suggesting a 2" 22 ain't gonna do it.

My favorite?

EddieTrip3-1.jpg

S&W 625, stainless 5" N-frame 45 ACP.

For just toting around, and I don't even know I got it?

Model31722LRAirlite.jpg

S&W 317, 2" J 22 LR that weighs a whole 11 ounces loaded.

If I just want to spend some time at the range, punching holes in things?

k38b.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

S&W K38 Target Masterpiece, 6" K-frame target revolver. Designed to put five 38 wadcutters through the same hole at 25 yards, it is one of the sweetest-shooting guns out there. Only thing better would be a K-32, but they start at about two grand.

My two favorite Double Action Revolvers are both S&Ws. Both accurate, sweet shooters.

My big revolver is a Model 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt with 4-inch barrel.

12133-MGLeft.jpg

My small revolver is a Model 34 Kit Gun in .22 LR with 4-inch barrel.

14660d1383178233-kit-guns-model-34-pre-3

I have shot about every double action on the market. Blindfold me and I can tell what brand I'm holding by how the double action feels.

They are all good in their own ways, but I am a Smith & Wesson guy myself. They just have a smoothness that is unmatched.

After that, caliber, frame size (weight), and barrel length are personal preference.

My carry gun is a hammerless J-frame. Five shots of 38+P with the ultimate point-and-click interface.

My favorite gun is a 686 in 357 with a 6" barrel and an action job. Smooth as well aged bourbon.

If you can find one, Smith made the 696 a few years ago. It was a 5 shot 44 special built on the mid-weight L-frame and a 3" barrel. It's one of the few guns I regret not buying when I had the chance.

Gunbroker.com has a s&W 696

No one has mentioned the S&W model 544-in 44-40

or

The mighty Colt Anaconda series.

Well, it IS nice, and if I did not have that 625, it would most likely be my favorite "heavy" sixgun.

SWModel544TexasComm44-40.jpg

Do you have the other s&w 625 (mountain gun in 45 LC)?

Nope. All my 45 Colts are single action. Used to have a 25-5, but it went down the road one day. :(

Archived