SASS Wire Forum

Dropped ammo at the loading table?

Shooting Bull

Shooter standing next to me at the loading table dropped a shotgun round. I bent down to pick it up but was sternly asked not to do that because I was wearing loaded pistols. Yes, if I bent over my pistols would point behind me but, I thought that rule was out the window if the pistols were securely in their holsters. Can somebody please advise?

I've never heard of a restriction against picking up a dropped round at the Loading Table. Wearing Loaded pistols or not. I would suggest some

"worry wart" has a "safety hat" with a too small hat band. :)

A little anal retentive. What I have found (opinion) is that almost universally there are those who will seek to be oneupman at gun ranges and not just in this venue.

Opps, did not read Coffinmakers reply, he said what I was thinking mo betta than I did. +1

I've never heard of a restriction against picking up a dropped round at the Loading Table. Wearing Loaded pistols or not. I would suggest some

+100000

There are many people that participate in this sport/game that should attend an RO-I course......... ASAP

I was never taught that it was a rule against picking up 'stuff' at the loading table that falls on the ground.

BUT, I was taught that its not a good practice because of the possibility of your loaded pistols falling out of the holsters OR, bumping one of your or someone else long guns on the table as you stoop and rise.

No more, no less.

..........Widder

someone who thot it was a rule 15 yrs ago,,,,, oy!!!!!

someone who thot it was a rule 15 yrs ago,,,,, oy!!!!!

Are you taking Phantom lessons?

Are you taking Phantom lessons?

lil bit,,, but dint call them stupid!! even if they are!!!!

who the heck do you shoot with??

they don't like Mongo, you can't bend over…..

are you allowed to sneeze??

Scratch

yude be pretty surprised about some of the calls I've seen people try to make this past year!!! OY!!!!!!!!

Shooter standing next to me at the loading table dropped a shotgun round. I bent down to pick it up but was sternly asked not to do that because I was wearing loaded pistols. Yes, if I bent over my pistols would point behind me but, I thought that rule was out the window if the pistols were securely in their holsters. Can somebody please advise?

1. Treat and respect every firearm at all times as if it were loaded.

2. Safe Gun handling is the shooter’s responsibility. The 170-degree safety rule is in effect.

Muzzle direction is important between, before, during, and after shooting a stage. A muzzle

must not be allowed to “sweep” the other participants at any time. Long guns shall have their

actions open with chambers and magazines empty and muzzles pointed in a safe direction

when transported at a match. A holstered revolver (loaded or empty) with the hammer fully

down on an empty chamber or expended case is considered safe and may not be interpreted

as sweeping another shooter while safely secured in the holster. Failure to manage safe

muzzle direction is grounds for disqualification from the stage, and for repeated offenses,

from the match.

SHB p.23 / RO1 p.14

...and MONGO's shirt VEST has already been approved at a couple of major matches...what's up with that??

Apparently the Pony Express hasn't hit all the stops yet to pass that word. I hate to ever admit Ace of Hearts may be correct but, I probably should have kept a copy of your email.

Nicely put. I'd have asked them to get a window installed where their belly button is.

where do the penalty's start at ? loading table, shooting line or stop at the unloading table? Just playing for the Devil in this case would the dropped ammo rule be different at the loading table?? I haven't been on the other side of the fence in a while Pale Wolf ...

where do the penalty's start at ? loading table, shooting line or stop at the unloading table? Just playing for the Devil in this case would the dropped ammo rule be different at the loading table?? I haven't been on the other side of the fence in a while Pale Wolf ...

Are you talking about the penalties for retrieving dropped ammo?

The rule specifies "during the stage"...which would be between the first & last shots fired.

NOT at the LT or ULT areas.

RT*M

24. Ammunition dropped by a shooter in the course of loading or reloading any firearm during a stage or “ejected” is considered “dead” and may not be recovered until the shooter completes the course of fire.

REF "Glossary of Terms" RO1 pp. 29-31

"Course of FIre"

"Stage"

I thought the Devil went down to Georgia, not Texas ..... :ph34r:

..........Widder

Yeah but he's left for Middle Tennessee and I think he shoots gunfighter :D

Kajun

Whenever I go on the road I always take a copy of the latest version of the rule book and keep it in my cart.

My club just moved ranges and at the last match (my first one with the stages set back up) I noticed there was a pocket RO card hanging next to the spotter sticks at each stage. I thought that was a great idea. I need to ask around and find out who came up with that.

You had best be smiling when you talk about me!

Jackalope

Hoss, I smile even when I'm not talking about ya!!

Kajun

Archived