SASS Wire Forum

One pistol vs Two pistols

Dang It Dan 13202

I have always wondered why the rules disallow having two loaded pistols out at the same time (with the exception of GF'r and B-Western). And, if a shooter wanted to shoot GF'r on a couple of stages during a match, why restrict him from doing so? I have competed in both the one-gun and two-gun categories so I feel like I know the ups and downs of both but I can't see a reason to keep this restriction in place. I guess you "may" say that it would diminish Gunfighter, or perhaps make B-Western less attractive, but I just don't see it that way.

Why not open it up? Why not add some spice to your usual shooting style? I guess I don't see a down side here.

What say you?

(and before anyone starts with "why do some folk want to come into a sport and start changing it", I have been here for more than just a minute or two so I think i am qualified to ask this kind of question).

Regards,

Dang It Dan

I pushed for this for several years, and just couldn't get any support for it. Any category that currently allows one or two handed should allow GF IMHO. I would not allow in any duelist specific category. Good luck in your quest.

If you allowed that in any duelist category wouldn't that eventually eliminate "Gunfighter"??

Dan,

because you have been involved in sooooo much of this sport from early on, I always figured you might know 'WHY' of this restriction.

Anyhow, I surely don't know.

I don't think doing away with it will diminish the GF category. In reality, it could enhance the Duelist category.

Just my .02

..........Widder

I know you've been around the block and I know you probably already thought of this yourself but I'll put it in writing.

The powers that be in the olden days didn't even like the idea of the Gunfighter category.

"somebody's gonna blow their hand off"

So I SUSPECT that having a category devoted to folks that may be somewhat more experienced is a way to make sure that the newbie cowboy is going to get some experience with the sport before they branch out and try any "dangerous" two-handed shooting.

Just my take.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Remember how GF's had to be certified when the category was first introduced?

Having two loaded guns out was considered more hazardous by the people that where writing the rules.

I think we all now know having two loaded guns out could be allowed in all categories, there is no safety reason to disallow it.

But, at its heart CAS is a competition and differing shooting styles competing against each other isn't fair...

I know you've been around the block and I know you probably already thought of this yourself but I'll put it in writing.

The powers that be in the olden days didn't even like the idea of the Gunfighter category.

"somebody's gonna blow their hand off"

So I SUSPECT that having a category devoted to folks that may be somewhat more experienced is a way to make sure that the newbie cowboy is going to get some experience with the sport before they branch out and try any "dangerous" two-handed shooting.

Just my take.

Waimea

Waimea, I understand what you are saying but if I person is prone to have an accident, it doesn't matter if they are using one or two hands at the moment - folks shoot themselves using long guns as well, so I am going to say that I can't make that stretch with you.

If you allowed that in any duelist category wouldn't that eventually eliminate "Gunfighter"??

I can only think that a GFer will still want to shoot GFer and a Duelist will still want to shoot Duelist.

A good many Duelist still only use their dominant hand although there are some who like Dbl Duelist and are great with their transitions.

Alot of GFer's might be good using both pistols at the same time and switching back and forth between front site acquisitions, but they would lack some of those good transitions that alot of Duelist have.

Of course, all that is just my .02

..........Widder

I think that shooting gunfighter in what was then the Traditional category was perceived to give an advantage to those who could actually shoot that way. You and others have long since debunked that theory.

So there is no valid reason that I've heard not to allow two loaded guns out at the same time.

I shoot GF in age based from time to time, I let the TO know I'm gonna do it, take my P up front and have fun.

Allowing it would seem to lessen the distinctiveness of the separate categories we have now.

But then again even if allowed I don't see that many would make use of it, just as few age based folks shoot duelist style though they can. Though for most shooting duelist instead of two handed would severely slow them down.

GF in age based on certain stages could be perceived as an advantage over two handed shooters though.

In the long run I think it would help the GF category as folks could try it now and again without having to take a penalty or commit to shooting a whole match GF.

Just a few thoughts from my saddle.

Grizz

Waimea, I understand what you are saying but if I person is prone to have an accident, it doesn't matter if they are using one or two hands at the moment - folks shoot themselves using long guns as well, so I am going to say that I can't make that stretch with you.

I was just speculating on maybe why they haven't opened it up.

Shutting up now. :P

Waimea

I think a lot of shooters in the age categories would like the option to choose to shoot gunfighter style on some stages. Personally, even with a LOT of practice, I'm still a little slower shooting Gunfighter, because of the "thinking" involved (how many un-fired remaining in the right gun?), but there are some stages that would be advantageous to shoot that way.

The Territorial Governors have consistently voted "NO" on such proposals...for various reasons.

Some have a problem with GF shooters in general, ever since the inception of that category (and the annual changes to the rules over the following few years).

Others see such an allowance as an intrusion on those categories that already allow two loaded revolvers out of leather at once.

Same as the perceived DANGER! of allowing Cav/Twist Draw for GF/BW shooters; with the attendant prohibition on the use of X-draw, shoulder and "Huckleberry" rigs in those categories...even though it is allowed if only one loaded revolver is out at a time in ALL other categories.

THAT has been the "kiss of death" for a number of (sensible, IMO) amendments...opening up the age-based and other categories to GF-style shooting carries with it the restriction on equipment; which would basically outlaw cross-draw style rigs (at least until such time as the TGs are convinced that it can be done SAFELY).

JMO

PWB

I was at a match yesterday that had one stage that gave gunfighters an advantage. It was a double tap 5 target sweep. As a gunfighter, you just alternate shots on targets instead of trying to remember what target you ended your first pistol on. So if someone was skilled enough, they could exploit that in an aged based category. But that person would have to be competitive enough to want to exploit that, and skilled enough to do so. So I highly doubt just anyone could or would make use of it. So the point is that it really would be a non issue competition wise, but like, as some have mentioned, bring about a new found liking of that shooting style. I still remember the rush of shooting gunfighter for the first time.

Personally, I would love to be able to use gunfighter in classic cowboy. If not, then I propose a new category. I call it Frontier Cartridge Classic Cowboy Gun Fighter (FCCCGF). It's the manliest category of them all because you use real smoke and flames, have to use the "big boy" calibers, and have to use both hands. What could be better than that? HAHA

I was at a match yesterday that had one stage that gave gunfighters an advantage. It was a double tap 5 target sweep. As a gunfighter, you just alternate shots on targets instead of trying to remember what target you ended your first pistol on. So if someone was skilled enough, they could exploit that in an aged based category. But that person would have to be competitive enough to want to exploit that, and skilled enough to do so. So I highly doubt just anyone could or would make use of it. So the point is that it really would be a non issue competition wise, but like, as some have mentioned, bring about a new found liking of that shooting style. I still remember the rush of shooting gunfighter for the first time.

Personally, I would love to be able to use gunfighter in classic cowboy. If not, then I propose a new category. I call it Frontier Cartridge Classic Cowboy Gun Fighter (FCCCGF). It's the manliest category of them all because you use real smoke and flames, have to use the "big boy" calibers, and have to use both hands. What could be better than that? HAHA

I have always thought Classic Cowboy should include GFer.

Everybody knows that supreme intelligence (we're talkin' rocket science level here) is required to shoot gunfighter style. Seriously, you have to count to ten......twice. Once with the rifle, then again with the pistols. Rocket science I'm telling you!

;):D

LFCCCGF??

Good question Dan.

I have moved from age-based to FCD to GF/FCGF over the past three years.

I enjoy shooting my 92s more than my 73s. (Original 92s rock!)

I am thinking of switching to BW next year so that I can shoot in any style: two-handed, duelist and GF. I am too slow to be doing this for a competitive edge; I just enjoy shooting all 3 styles.

I see no problem with allowing it in all age based categories with ages 21 and above.

I don't think the idea of allowing "non-adults" is a good idea for possible liability reasons.

Holster requirements should be double strong side only to shoot "gunfighter style" in any category.

I would like to do some more thinking on both for and against opinions.

Maybe that the shooter would have to clearly declare their intent to shoot "gunfighter style" to the TO prior to the start of the shooter beginning the stage.

I see no problem with allowing it in all age based categories with ages 21 and above.

I don't think the idea of allowing "non-adults" is a good idea for possible liability reasons.

Holster requirements should be double strong side only to shoot "gunfighter style" in any category.

I would like to do some more thinking on both for and against opinions.

Maybe that the shooter would have to clearly declare their intent to shoot "gunfighter style" to the TO prior to the start of the shooter beginning the stage.

If you are old enough to die for your country you ought to be allowed to shoot gunfighter in my opinion. Actually I see no problem letting juniors do it if they can do so safely. I have been scared by at least as many traditional senior citizens as I have by juniors.

If I had a magic wand I would creat a men's and ladies open category. Any age any legal gun shot in any style as the shooter sees fit. Shooting while moving would be allowed (as the stages permit) only in this class and this class would not be included in the overall scores.

I would personally have no problem with it. 3 clubs at that I shoot at offer a "Open" or "Master Gunfighter" category. it is pretty much all I shoot at home anymore and allows me to be a bit more flexible depending on what I feel like shooting that day. A couple of times my good pard Straight Arrow Hombre will shoot together in the category and change our shooting styles on stage to stage. Lots of fun and gets the juices flowing a bit more than just shooting the same old thing.

being a gunfighter I have one good question on this matter

Why on God's Green Earth would any self respecting Cowboy/Cowgirl want to shoot with two hands on one Gun :D

Chicken Scratch

I would personally have no problem with it. 3 clubs at that I shoot at offer a "Open" or "Master Gunfighter" category. it is pretty much all I shoot at home anymore and allows me to be a bit more flexible depending on what I feel like shooting that day. A couple of times my good pard Straight Arrow Hombre will shoot together in the category and change our shooting styles on stage to stage. Lots of fun and gets the juices flowing a bit more than just shooting the same old thing.

That's what I tried to get folks to do with the All Around Cowboy deal a couple of years ago. You will never appreciate the skill set of folks who shoot the other styles until you have to do it in competition.

That's what I tried to get folks to do with the All Around Cowboy deal a couple of years ago. You will never appreciate the skill set of folks who shoot the other styles until you have to do it in competition.

My local club has a special category for just such fun. Each stage has to be shot using a specific style. 2 will be designated traditional two handed, 2 Duelist, and 2 gunfighter. Several of us started out together shooting it and had a lot of fun as we watched each others train wrecks and brain farts. However we all quickly improved at shootig Duelist and GF. As a result several of us have discovered that we prefer to shoot something other than two handed. Our club now has a regular entrant in Lady Gun Fighter and Duelist has more participants as well.

If you are old enough to die for your country you ought to be allowed to shoot gunfighter in my opinion. Actually I see no problem letting juniors do it if they can do so safely. I have been scared by at least as many traditional senior citizens as I have by juniors.

How can anyone NOT agree with both of those things?

Archived