SASS Wire Forum

SASS HAS BIGGER FISH TO FRY

Judge Gardner

Call me a heretic, but I am not sure the "Young" crowd is where we want to invest our efforts to grow. The young crowd is still in middle or high school, some may even be in college. They will not have the money to either buy guns, pay membership fees, match fees or buy / reload ammo. The 25-40 something demographic is paying off student loans, buying houses or trying to figure out how to get their children thru college.

Some where around 50 or so those problems pretty much cease. We may be better served trying to recruit the 50 - 60 crowd, who will be around for 15 - 25 years. I for one have much more disposable income now than when I was 30 or 40.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been shooting SASS since about 1997, before then I shot PPC (remember that?) and IPSC. I joined the SASS wire in 2002, and remember, even then, complaints about how much the firearms cost, and who wanted to wear "costumes" to shoot. Over the years, I'ver managed to upgrade my firearms, now shooting (still) rugers, a slicked up, short stroked '73, and a SKB by Johnny Meadows. I didn't buy the '73 nor the SKB until I could afford them. Guess it's like anything else, if you really want something, you will find a way to afford it.

I've been shooting SASS since about 1997, before then I shot PPC (remember that?) and IPSC. I joined the SASS wire in 2002, and remember, even then, complaints about how much the firearms cost, and who wanted to wear "costumes" to shoot. Over the years, I'ver managed to upgrade my firearms, now shooting (still) rugers, a slicked up, short stroked '73, and a SKB by Johnny Meadows. I didn't buy the '73 nor the SKB until I could afford them. Guess it's like anything else, if you really want something, you will find a way to afford it.

EGGG-ZAKLEY!!

;)

Call me a heretic, but I am not sure the "Young" crowd is where we want to invest our efforts to grow. The young crowd is still in middle or high school, some may even be in college. They will not have the money to either buy guns, pay membership fees, match fees or buy / reload ammo. The 25-40 something demographic is paying off student loans, buying houses or trying to figure out how to get their children thru college.

Some where around 50 or so those problems pretty much cease. We may be better served trying to recruit the 50 - 60 crowd, who will be around for 15 - 25 years. I for one have much more disposable income now than when I was 30 or 40.

I share your opinion.

EGGG-ZAKLEY!!

;)

To put an even longer historical perspective on this... I started in 1985... and distinctly remember complaints about the cost of guns, costumes and accessibility. Questions and heated discussions regarding which firearms were "best", what rules needed tweaking to benefit the majority and, maybe... in the process, "me"!

Nothing's changed... except now we need to buy TWO sixguns! Frankly, get over yourselves... in the larger scheme of things, this is pure entertainment, with a bit of competition for the truly talented thrown in on the side.

You want expansion? Each and every one of you, bring your closest friend with you to the next match... There... numbers doubled! Simple as that. How long they continue to attend, that's a different issue.

You want expansion? Each and every one of you, bring your closest friend with you to the next match... There... numbers doubled! Simple as that. How long they continue to attend, that's a different issue.

I'd be willing to bet that if they are greeted like long lost family members, made to feel welcome, and have a good time, they WILL continue to attend.

Damn Griff...... you really hit the nail on the head. I've been saying the same thing that Capt Dan said in his post for years about what the TRUE and REALISTIC target group should be. That age group is without doubt the folks who are just made for this sport/game. they have the money, the time, they are old enough to actually remember the western movies. Further more, many, if not most of them, have not been raised in a home that spent a lot of time with firearm activities, yet they would like to "Go Shooting" if they had the chance. No gun game on earth has more folks playing that are new to firearms than does CAS.... this is the place where all levels of proficiency can be found. A newbie can play this game and thrive... that is not the case with most gun games. Since MOST of us are at the half century mark or greater, it is very likely that our friends are in that age group too.... so, what Griff said really does hit the nail on the head better than ANYTHING that I have heard in the past 24 yrs of my CAS.

Snakebite

Sounds about right. My cowboy adventure started at 43.

As exspensive hobbies go. I couldn't recall how much I've spent on Harley's, boats, quads, etc. I'd sure like to have it all back😉 It's not all that expensive, if your a hobby kinda guy!

Regards,

Ringer

A lot of this has been said, but here are my thoughts as a new shooter in his mid 30's.

• Forget about attracting anyone younger than 30 (unless their parents bring them in). CAS simply is not appealing to today's youth, for reasons already well stated in this thread (ie kids don't want to be cowboys anymore).
  • Cost is only a minor barrier to entry - and is easily reduced by borrowing, buying used, or getting free stuff (just ask, you'll be amazed!)
  • The cranky atmosphere of this forum is certainly not helping the sport to grow!
  • The best target demographic is the 50-60 crowd .... they typically have decent amounts of time and money .... and they grew up on westerns. And let's face it, CAS is mostly older folks and birds of a feather flock together.
  • Best way to reach them is by SASS members personally inviting their friends to come to an event

• Last but not least .... more volunteers are needed!!! Better stages/props, better and more food, better advertising, better videos, more events, CAS at more clubs, etc will go a long way in growing the sport .... but can't happen if people don't get involved.

A lot of this has been said, but here are my thoughts as a new shooter in his mid 30's.

• Forget about attracting anyone younger than 30 (unless their parents bring them in). CAS simply is not appealing to today's youth, for reasons already well stated in this thread (ie kids don't want to be cowboys anymore).
  • Cost is only a minor barrier to entry - and is easily reduced by borrowing, buying used, or getting free stuff (just ask, you'll be amazed!)
  • The cranky atmosphere of this forum is certainly not helping the sport to grow!
  • The best target demographic is the 50-60 crowd .... they typically have decent amounts of time and money .... and they grew up on westerns. And let's face it, CAS is mostly older folks and birds of a feather flock together.
  • Best way to reach them is by SASS members personally inviting their friends to come to an event

• Last but not least .... more volunteers are needed!!! Better stages/props, better and more food, better advertising, better videos, more events, CAS at more clubs, etc will go a long way in growing the sport .... but can't happen if people don't get involved.

Lot's of truths here...but if what you say is true, then the game will die along when those that grew up with Western's die.

Or, we work on making the game appealing to those that grew up after the era of the Western's.

Phantom

Lot's of truths here...but if what you say is true, then the game will die along when those that grew up with Western's die.

Or, we work on making the game appealing to those that grew up after the era of the Western's.

Phantom

I think our efforts are better spent attracting like-minded people and enjoying the game as it is right now. Even if the game changed significantly, I don't think it will ever appeal to youth.

Youth are much more attracted to 3-gun. And that's just fine! It's exciting and engaging ... and growing rapidly. If my kids choose 3-gun over CAS, I will fully support them.

Annual report this weekend at our club showed that the cowboys brought in about twice as much as the other disciplines combined. While we are aging as a discipline, the membership chairman noted that a significant percentage of all club members is over the age of 62 (eligible for the senior discount). Our club has about 1,200 members, and about 75 active cowboys. We put on a new shooter's clinic every spring, picking up 3 or 4 new shooters every year that way. Some years it's a lot more. Not exponential growth, but enough to replace the folks who have left for one reason or another.

It is about the people. Make your club user friendly, be the cheerful, outgoing, and welcoming club that brings folks back and gets them involved. We've had to enforce the 9:00 set up time rule because too many people showed up early and went to work. When the cowpokes who got up and made the trip show up at 9:00 and all the work is done .... Well, no setup until 9!

No answers except to keep spreading the word.

CR

Hi Bank Roll,

I agree with this! I'm trying to change that. However, "it takes a village." ;) The moderators cannot see everything. We are also unpaid volunteers... Please let us know (Report Link) if you or anyone sees a thread going south.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Bank Roll,

I agree with this! I'm trying to change that. However, "it takes a village." ;) The moderators cannot see everything. We are also unpaid volunteers... Please let us know (Report Link) if you or anyone sees a thread going south.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Allie,

"Cranky" doesn't necessarily mean a thread is "going south"... Sometimes it just might be representative of the "average age group's" proclivity to be "curmudgeonly"! :D:D

Allie,

"Cranky" doesn't necessarily mean a thread is "going south"... Sometimes it just might be representative of the "average age group's" proclivity to be "curmudgeonly"! :D:D

I resemble that remark.

If SASS and its member clubs want to grow its under 50 crowd, it needs to do things that reach out to new, younger shooters. That means a dramatic change in its online strategy.

http://sassnet.comis for all intents and purposes a static website. What you see there at the home page will be the same tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day... Imagine taking the CC and moving it into a more practical online website format. Post CC articles on the front page of SASSnet as individual articles that can be shared, liked, etc. using buttons on each and every article. There is a wealth of information in past CC articles. Some of those can be reposted as online articles as well. Hate the online CC? Now you don't need a PDF reader that pixelates graphics or a weird plugin to read the CC anymore. Any web browser will do. Those online articles can also have advertising from vendors.

Flesh out the rule book with articles that have short video add-ons that go into more depth about the more vague rules so that there are fewer "What's the Call" Wire postings.

The SASS Facebook and Twitter should be retweeting club posts, especially ones that have photos of people having fun at matches.

Clubs should have Facebook pages that have events for every shoot so people can share the event with others.

Clubs should have Instagram/Vine accounts that post short 7-15 second clips of people in action at the firing line.

Clubs should be posting a few photos from each shoot online. Spread it out over several days so there's new content often.

I know that many of the over-50 crowd may not spend much time online, so may not see the point of some of these ideas. But if the information isn't out there in an easily accessible online format, many people won't know about your club or about SASS. My club is literally 5 miles from my family's farm, and I had no idea it or SASS existed until two years ago when I first looked into cowboy action shooting because of a vendor ad in an NRA magazine.

If SASS and its member clubs want to grow its under 50 crowd, it needs to do things that reach out to new, younger shooters. That means a dramatic change in its online strategy.

http://sassnet.comis for all intents and purposes a static website. What you see there at the home page will be the same tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day... Imagine taking the CC and moving it into a more practical online website format. Post CC articles on the front page of SASSnet as individual articles that can be shared, liked, etc. using buttons on each and every article. There is a wealth of information in past CC articles. Some of those can be reposted as online articles as well. Hate the online CC? Now you don't need a PDF reader that pixelates graphics or a weird plugin to read the CC anymore. Any web browser will do. Those online articles can also have advertising from vendors.

Flesh out the rule book with articles that have short video add-ons that go into more depth about the more vague rules so that there are fewer "What's the Call" Wire postings.

The SASS Facebook and Twitter should be retweeting club posts, especially ones that have photos of people having fun at matches.

Clubs should have Facebook pages that have events for every shoot so people can share the event with others.

Clubs should have Instagram/Vine accounts that post short 7-15 second clips of people in action at the firing line.

Clubs should be posting a few photos from each shoot online. Spread it out over several days so there's new content often.

I know that many of the over-50 crowd may not spend much time online, so may not see the point of some of these ideas. But if the information isn't out there in an easily accessible online format, many people won't know about your club or about SASS. My club is literally 5 miles from my family's farm, and I had no idea it or SASS existed until two years ago when I first looked into cowboy action shooting because of a vendor ad in an NRA magazine.

Gosh darn it why doesn't the LIKE button work in this forum!!! LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE

LIKE!!

While much has been said and most of it is spot on, I think the real issue is the significant decline in people who are pro-gun or may be interested in shooting sports.

Most of you have kids that are not in the zone described 40 to 55/60 years old. But how many of them have any interest in guns or shooting sports. That same attitude gets pushed down to your grandkids. Hard to get a young kid interested in something unless their parents are. They're the on that has to come up with the money to buy into the sport. And the time to take them to the shoots. Soccer, baseball etc has a family of participants that support each other. I'm busy can you take Johnny tot eh soccer game for me. Not so in SASS.

I don't know about SASS being the largest shooting sport. We may be one of the largest at 60,000+/- active members.

How about bringing back the shooters who just got tired of SASS!.

And the idea to use social media to promote the sport is right on target. Thats where everyone is finding out about the world. Not the Chronical.

Ike

This may be better off as its own separate thread but I'm going to ask here anyway, why do we give a rat's patoot how old a new shooter is? Matt Black started when he was still in diapers. (Seemed that way anyway.) Grizzly Dave is about as old as dirt. Both got hooked and are having a ball so again I'll ask, who cares how old they are? What we want are new shooters. We want LOTS of new shooters, young, old and anywhere in between. So instead of trying to focus our efforts on a specific demographic (Original Lumpy Grits, that means one small set of folks ;) ) let's just go out and promote the sport. Show how much fun it is for the entire family from the grandparents all the way down to the youngest babies. If you throw a big enough net you're going to catch a few fish.

This may be better off as its own separate thread but I'm going to ask here anyway, why do we give a rat's patoot how old a new shooter is? Matt Black started when he was still in diapers. (Seemed that way anyway.) Grizzly Dave is about as old as dirt. Both got hooked and are having a ball so again I'll ask, who cares how old they are? What we want are new shooters. We want LOTS of new shooters, young, old and anywhere in between. So instead of trying to focus our efforts on a specific demographic (Original Lumpy Grits, that means one small set of folks ;) ) let's just go out and promote the sport. Show how much fun it is for the entire family from the grandparents all the way down to the youngest babies. If you throw a big enough net you're going to catch a few fish.

To be fair, my suggestions would apply to any age. It is geared towards bringing in people that are online, which is a very high percentage of the American population.

To be fair, my suggestions would apply to any age. It is geared towards bringing in people that are online, which is a very high percentage of the American population.

Totally agree. I've touted social media and expanded web presence for almost as long as I've been a member. Some individual clubs are doing a great job and I think Misty Moonshine's addition to the Wild Bunch has had a positive influence on this also.

Totally agree. I've touted social media and expanded web presence for almost as long as I've been a member. Some individual clubs are doing a great job and I think Misty Moonshine's addition to the Wild Bunch has had a positive influence on this also.

IMHO, there is an on going evolution at SASS and as Misty continues to get her arms around things different marketing approaches will be tried. Sometimes suggestions directly to SASS might be the better way to go about it. In my experience SASS and the WB seem very receptive to outside input. They may not act on something in the time frame that you think is acceptable but I think if a good idea is presented it may bear fruit. I've made suggestions on how to improve parking and how to get competitors through the gate more quickly at EOT and the WB and Misty were very responsive.

As a note, you don't need official SASS approval to advertise CAS on social media.

Personally, I think the job of marketing sits with local clubs and individuals .... not with the SASS powers that be.

Facebook pages, Twitter feeds, YouTube channels, etc can all be started by individuals without any input from SASS.

I took a few videos at a local event and posted them on my personal YouTube and Facebook accounts .... a decent number of my friends are now considering attending an event. I thought that was pretty cool.

I think our efforts are better spent attracting like-minded people and enjoying the game as it is right now. Even if the game changed significantly, I don't think it will ever appeal to youth.

Youth are much more attracted to 3-gun. And that's just fine! It's exciting and engaging ... and growing rapidly. If my kids choose 3-gun over CAS, I will fully support them.

By this logic the sport is doomed to fail! I didn't grow up watching westerns, I'm 37, and I greatly enjoy this sport and try to get people involved at every chance I get.

It is the atmosphere and camaraderie and fun matches that keep people coming back! Build a fun match, have fun people helping new shooters out, bet they come back. No mater their age! Boring match, difficult memory test scenarios, lots of misses, they are out!

Its never been about the money, It will never be about the money, Its about having fun at a friendly friendly competition. As long as that is kept in mind the sport will be fine! People will find a way to do something they enjoy.

TG's as well as all competitors and SASS HQ all have a responsibility to grow the sport.

Watch this video, try so view it as if you have never been in this sport, tell me this doesn't look fun!

http://youtu.be/Q3iX9xSdyzI?list=PLKuamP0cm-Fyp_dw5t_-D1TC4Qf56ecIs

I shoot at some great clubs, and have been to many matches outside of Texas and can't wait to shoot with these guys! I wonder why?

Whiskey Kid

I reject the notion that age is the controlling factor. Most people that I talk to don't even know that CAS shooting exists. My passion of our game has brought 4 active shooters into CAS over the last couple years. They range from 20 to 50. I love showing youtube videos to prospective shooters, almost everyone I show them to loves it and wants to know all about it. I honestly think word of mouth is the best advertising, and if you love the game share it. In other words if it dies, it is our own fault.

Sounds pretty simple. All I can say is, you whippersnappers should get out there and git 'er done. I think you might find that recruiting for CAS will be one of the more frustrating things you've ever tried. "Some of my friends are thinking about attending a match" doesn't go in the win column. :)

As us old farts die off so do our votes for our constitutional rights to own and bare arms. If we don't get our kids and grandkids interested in the shooting sports the "dark side" will brain wash them into indifference and there will be no shooting sports cause all the guns will be confiscated.

I think it would be cool to have one match per year at each club dedicated to Buckaroos and Younguns just to get them involved. I love my kids and grandkids and they like to shoot but I don't know that they would want to hang out with a bunch of oldies unless they felt that they were really welcome and had been encouraged to come out and play like the Cowboys do.

I'm just sayin

As us old farts die off so do our votes for our constitutional rights to own and bare arms. If we don't get our kids and grandkids interested in the shooting sports the "dark side" will brain wash them into indifference and there will be no shooting sports cause all the guns will be confiscated.

I think it would be cool to have one match per year at each club dedicated to Buckaroos and Younguns just to get them involved. I love my kids and grandkids and they like to shoot but I don't know that they would want to hang out with a bunch of oldies unless they felt that they were really welcome and had been encouraged to come out and play like the Cowboys do.

I'm just sayin

So, go to your club's next board meeting and pitch the idea. Talking about it on here won't make it happen.

Sounds pretty simple. All I can say is, you whippersnappers should get out there and git 'er done. I think you might find that recruiting for CAS will be one of the more frustrating things you've ever tried. "Some of my friends are thinking about attending a match" doesn't go in the win column. :)

I have done a lot of recruiting of new shooters and have brought lots of people into this game. While you may not get every person you talk to to actually show up to a match, I have never found it to be frustrating.

I share your opinion.

I too, believe we need to recruit the 50-60 year olds. They have the money and time and they saw some of the "modern westerns". The days of "Gene and Roy" are gone, just ask a 30 year old.

Archived