SASS Wire Forum

Tex's opinion or rule change?

Straight Arrow Hombre

Thanks Misty....that cleared it all up. Guess I'll hafta put down my bag of popcorn till the next fracas. :D

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ol Tex is the Editor In Chief so he can pretty much say anything he wants, unless he says no more scotch.

You know.... To say that to some players of our game that costuming is paramount, and to others it is not, is a very strange comment. In the context of this discussion, it implies that those who wear blue jeans don't care about costuming. I would dispute that. Now, to me, costuming is not as big a deal as the shooting aspects, but that has not stopped me from getting a couple of collarless shirts, a nice vest, a very expensive hat like the ones soldiers wore in the Civil War, and a few other accessories for my outfit. It is no where near as elaborate as what some other folks have done, but it still "looks the part." And I always wear blue jeans. On the other hand, I have seen pards out there with VERY elaborate and detailed costumes, and I am not talking B Western, and they also wear them with blue jeans. In other words, there are shooters of our game for whom costuming is just as paramount to Tex, but they have decided that their costumes will include blue jeans. The underlying assumption that Tex seems to have that blue jeans mean you don't care about costuming is just wrong in my estimation.

I could go on, but it'd just be restating the above in different ways.

Please see my post above. The rule, as passed by the TG's and clarified by the ROC is the rule. There is nothing to settle at EOT- the final statement has been stated. We have TGs and an RO Committee to serve as intended. Tex's editorial doesn't change that- the Wild Bunch hasn't "decreed" anything.

Nothin to see, folks.

THANK YOU, MISTY!

and in a hundred years from now, will it matter? Relax and enjoy.... someday you won't be able to......

You know.... To say that to some players of our game that costuming is paramount, and to others it is not, is a very strange comment. In the context of this discussion, it implies that those who wear blue jeans don't care about costuming. I would dispute that. Now, to me, costuming is not as big a deal as the shooting aspects, but that has not stopped me from getting a couple of collarless shirts, a nice vest, a very expensive hat like the ones soldiers wore in the Civil War, and a few other accessories for my outfit. It is no where near as elaborate as what some other folks have done, but it still "looks the part." And I always wear blue jeans. On the other hand, I have seen pards out there with VERY elaborate and detailed costumes, and I am not talking B Western, and they also wear them with blue jeans. In other words, there are shooters of our game for whom costuming is just as paramount to Tex, but they have decided that their costumes will include blue jeans. The underlying assumption that Tex seems to have that blue jeans mean you don't care about costuming is just wrong in my estimation.

I could go on, but it'd just be restating the above in different ways.

Well said.

I reckon next time I'm headin' to a match Tex is gonna be at, I'll ask not to posse with him, I'd hate for my blue jeans to ruin his enjoyment of the game.

Well said.

I reckon next time I'm headin' to a match Tex is gonna be at, I'll ask not to posse with him, I'd hate for my blue jeans to ruin his enjoyment of the game.

I'm sure he'll be heartbroken...

Folks, let it go. Tex isn't the only one with strong views...we state them here all the time.

I'm of the belief that he sez things to spur discussion...and it does. But he ain't changing anything so don't get yer panties in a wad over his editorial.

Phantom

Borgs don't die.....they just wonder off to conquer other galaxies..... ;)

..........Widder

Tell my wife that...she's putting me on a workout program. Guess I've lost the studliness of my racing days...

:o

Tex is a hoot to posse with and be around. I'm bettin your blue jeans won't even catch his eye.

Yep , Tex has his Opinion and so do I .... But We can still shoot on the same posse and both have a Blast ...

Except His Laugh is louder and my guns buck and roar more ...

And I often Wear Wranglers Black,Brown,Tan and sometimes BLUE !!!

Jabez Cowboy

IF the Wild Bunch is in fact the Owners Oversight Committee... A big IF, but seems consistent with behavior and Misty's earlier missive to the membership,and comments on their role regarding the Territorial Governors and draft Rule Changes, then:

Named Members of the Wild Bunch may want to consider their opinions carefully, especially on rules matters, before hitting PRINT. Perhaps to the point of full muzzle.

Either the RO Committee is the ultimate authority on interpreting the rules or the Owners are. If it is the RO Committee, perhaps the owners ought to put a sock in it. The Owners get to vet proposed rules, and apparently veto some proposals. Only after that are the TG's allowed to vote. Or so sayeth the WIre, with no contradiction.

The RO Committee seems happy to let Pale Wolf Brunelle and Black Jack Zak be the official Wire voices of interpretation. The Owners ought to consider whether it is wise or productive to undermine their designated authorities in the specific area of their drlrgated expertise and authority.

Misty Moonlights' comments are appreciated, but are they really necessary?

Chinook

IF the Wild Bunch is in fact the Owners Oversight Committee... A big IF, but seems consistent with behavior and Misty's earlier missive to the membership,and comments on their role regarding the Territorial Governors and draft Rule Changes, then:

Named Members of the Wild Bunch may want to consider their opinions carefully, especially on rules matters, before hitting PRINT. Perhaps to the point of full muzzle.

Either the RO Committee is the ultimate authority on interpreting the rules or the Owners are. If it is the RO Committee, perhaps the owners ought to put a sock in it. The Owners get to vet proposed rules, and apparently veto some proposals. Only after that are the TG's allowed to vote. Or so sayeth the WIre, with no contradiction.

The RO Committee seems happy to let Pale Wolf Brunelle and Black Jack Zak be the official Wire voices of interpretation. The Owners ought to consider whether it is wise or productive to undermine their designated authorities in the specific area of their drlrgated expertise and authority.

Misty Moonlights' comments are appreciated, but are they really necessary?

Chinook

This is just the view from my saddle:

Tex editorial, although viewed as contridictory to recent interpretations of certain rules, actually STRENGTHENED those interpretations by PWB and BJZ.

Misty blows the train whistle from the ENGINE, guiding the train, and that whistle is in harmony with PWB and BJZ.

I think TEX editorial served a good purpose. It brought out reenforced definitions of certain rules, guidelines, etc.... of which, according to some of the post on this thread, was a good thing because some folks were still misreading those interpretations.

Atleast thats I how read some of the post.

All in all, its been a good day to be alive.

Thanks MIsty. You're a good Engineer.......... TOOT, TOOT!

Wish I had a video of a good train whistle rolling down the tracks and blowing soot from the smoke stack.

..........Widder

Things are in a transitional period. The structure of SASS is changing, and the Game itself has changed over time as well. There is no doubt that those of us who have had a active role in forming and establishing the Game have been slow to change from the way that things have "Always" been done. The system had built in "Grid Locks" that helped to stabilize things and keep the Game on course. Without them, I doubt that the Game would have survived. Change is not easy for anyone who is well established, but change is needed if the Game is to continue to Flourish into the future. I witnessed a good number of changes while a part of the ROC, and most of them were good. Some of them were a difficult pill for the Founders of the Game to Swallow, but even they know that it is not business as usual any longer. The Biggest and Brightest change that has come along is Misty Moonshine. She grasp the absolute need to preserve the tradition of the Game, but is not Shackled to the past. The need for a independent body to direct the flow of the game is well established by the TGs and the ROC... but it also must be understood that Everyone must answer to someone. I believe that the new system will have it's checks and balances in place to keep everyone on the same track.

PS... the spokesman for the ROC is Pale Wolf Brunelle. It was established long ago that one person should speak as the voice of the ROC. Two voices WILL NOT WORK... I know, I use to be the second voice... trying to keep every word in lock step is impossible. The ROC works constantly behind the scenes to evaluate things and present them to the membership. The WB are members of the ROC, and it benefits not only them, but the game if they work within that circle. IMO this is the "ONLY" way that things will move forward, and forward is the "ONLY" direction that we can go.

Snakebite

This is just the view from my saddle:

Tex editorial, although viewed as contridictory to recent interpretations of certain rules, actually STRENGTHENED those interpretations by PWB and BJZ.

Misty blows the train whistle from the ENGINE, guiding the train, and that whistle is in harmony with PWB and BJZ.

I think TEX editorial served a good purpose. It brought out reenforced definitions of certain rules, guidelines, etc.... of which, according to some of the post on this thread, was a good thing because some folks were still misreading those interpretations.

Atleast thats I how read some of the post.

All in all, its been a good day to be alive.

Thanks MIsty. You're a good Engineer.......... TOOT, TOOT!

Wish I had a video of a good train whistle rolling down the tracks and blowing soot from the smoke stack.

..........Widder

Here ya go Widder

3 young ladies at a train station in their drawers....hmmmmm...... aint no wonder why old Uncle Joe was a moving so slow.....he was wore out! :)

Well said.

Howdy Grizzly Dave,

may I recommend you do just the opposite? as someone who occasionally like to wear blue jeans I have possied with tex on quite a few occasions. each time has made the game fun and refreshing for the entire match. he has a unique perspective on this game that comes from many, many years in a leadership role. do I agree with everything he says? nope, but then the game would be boring indeed if we all had the same vision on how the game should be played. but tex, unlike many others in his position in other activities, will listen to other opinions and maybe even change his opinion if the right information is presented. this game would have no interest for me if it was only an Old West Dressing Society. but it is not, nor will it ever be. if those changes are made then it will be a totally different game than what we play. Tex, I think, understands this. and he has made concessions. he no longer asks for denim to be banned. all he asked in his editorial was that people in leadership roles at their local clubs should think about the persona they present to new shooters and put a little more effort into their appearance. it is a very commendable goal. but I also believe that the new shooters take a look at the work and effort people put into this game beyond the fact they wear the latest re-creations advertised in the CC.

but never pass up an opportunity to shoot with the man...it is an experience to be relished

cbj

Yeah, seriously folks, step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath, get your Wranglers un-wadded. No one in any leadership position takes it upon themselves to publish opinions that are meant to hurt the customers' feelings.

I like to remind folk from time to that there are no Hemingways among us and scholars are still arguing over what he might have meant by even the simplest of prose.

So give the feller a break. It's pretty clear that there is a structure for rule making and rule enforcement in place and from Misty's note that isn't going to change now that it is in place. Leadership from the top down is 100% supportive of the ROC and the TG system.

If Tex would let me write the Opinion piece it would have just as much bearing on the outcome of any rule. I think we were all under a serious misconception and I'm glad that has now been cleared up for the continued good of our sport. Let's all be glad that Misty stepped in RIGHT NOW so this didn't carry over to EOT.

That may have created a S-show of epic proportions. It's not very comfortable sometimes being boss. But, SASS has a good one that is willing to step up so let's get on with making the 2014 EOT the best ever.

As always the best place to see the real action is wherever Classic Cowboys are shooting. ;)

I'm sure he'll be heartbroken...

Folks, let it go. Tex isn't the only one with strong views...we state them here all the time.

I'm of the belief that he sez things to spur discussion...and it does. But he ain't changing anything so don't get yer panties in a wad over his editorial.

Phantom

The Cowboy Chronicle is his soapbox, the wire is ours. As long as he chooses to repeat his opinion on the subject, there will likely be those of us to choose to offer a differing opinion.

Howdy Grizzly Dave,

may I recommend you do just the opposite? as someone who occasionally like to wear blue jeans I have possied with tex on quite a few occasions. each time has made the game fun and refreshing for the entire match. he has a unique perspective on this game that comes from many, many years in a leadership role. do I agree with everything he says? nope, but then the game would be boring indeed if we all had the same vision on how the game should be played. but tex, unlike many others in his position in other activities, will listen to other opinions and maybe even change his opinion if the right information is presented. this game would have no interest for me if it was only an Old West Dressing Society. but it is not, nor will it ever be. if those changes are made then it will be a totally different game than what we play. Tex, I think, understands this. and he has made concessions. he no longer asks for denim to be banned. all he asked in his editorial was that people in leadership roles at their local clubs should think about the persona they present to new shooters and put a little more effort into their appearance. it is a very commendable goal. but I also believe that the new shooters take a look at the work and effort people put into this game beyond the fact they wear the latest re-creations advertised in the CC.

but never pass up an opportunity to shoot with the man...it is an experience to be relished

cbj

CBJ -

I respect you and value your input. My comment was sincere though perhaps laced with some attitude. I would not want to posse with anyone who's enjoyment of the game was tarnished by my mere presence on the posse, or by what I was wearing. From what I know, I agree I would enjoy posseing with him, his enthusiasm for the game, the smoke, etc., but at the same time, as I said above, if I felt like every time I passed by wearing my blue jeans the burr twisted in his saddle blanket, that would take away from my own enjoyment. That said I have never asked not to posse with anyone, and don't expect to in the future.

Hey, I don't see you signed up for the State match yet! C'mon over and watch me get shaved, I'll even give ya a cut with the scissors if'n ya want. :D

The Cowboy Chronicle is his soapbox, the wire is ours. As long as he chooses to repeat his opinion on the subject, there will likely be those of us to choose to offer a differing opinion.

CBJ -

I respect you and value your input. My comment was sincere though perhaps laced with some attitude. I would not want to posse with anyone who's enjoyment of the game was tarnished by my mere presence on the posse, or by what I was wearing. From what I know, I agree I would enjoy posseing with him, his enthusiasm for the game, the smoke, etc., but at the same time, as I said above, if I felt like every time I passed by wearing my blue jeans the burr twisted in his saddle blanket, that would take away from my own enjoyment. That said I have never asked not to posse with anyone, and don't expect to in the future.

Hey, I don't see you signed up for the State match yet! C'mon over and watch me get shaved, I'll even give ya a cut with the scissors if'n ya want. :D

For the record, I shoot with Tex all the time at our local matches, and I even wear jeans sometimes! Tex is an absolute blast to shoot with- he was my teacher my very first match, and still offers great advice and support anytime I need it- and has never been "bothered" or said a word about my (or anyone else) wearing jeans at our monthly's. He is a shining example of "Spirit of the Game", from his costuming to his boisterous bellowing of every starting line. IF you've never shot with him, take the opportunity to if given the chance. You wont regret it, and you may even find a new found respect for who Tex is- his love of this game is boundless.

Yes, he can be very opinionated and passionate on certain subjects... as we all can. Although we may not always agree on everything, I have the utmost respect for him and what he has done for SASS and CAS for the term of OVER 30 YEARS. I know it has been a labor of love for him- and he's done more good for this sport over that time than he could ever do to hurt it. His heart is in the right place.

I agree; lets put the pitchforks away...

For the record, I shoot with Tex all the time at our local matches, and I even wear jeans sometimes! Tex is an absolute blast to shoot with- he was my teacher my very first match, and still offers great advice and support anytime I need it- and has never been "bothered" or said a word about my (or anyone else) wearing jeans at our monthly's. He is a shining example of "Spirit of the Game", from his costuming to his boisterous bellowing of every starting line. IF you've never shot with him, take the opportunity to if given the chance. You wont regret it, and you may even find a new found respect for who Tex is- his love of this game is boundless.

Yes, he can be very opinionated and passionate on certain subjects... as we all can. Although we may not always agree on everything, I have the utmost respect for him and what he has done for SASS and CAS for the term of OVER 30 YEARS. I know it has been a labor of love for him- and he's done more good for this sport over that time than he could ever do to hurt it. His heart is in the right place.

I agree; lets put the pitchforks away...

Misty - thanks for your comments. I too appreciate all he and the rest of the wild bunch and others have done for the game. As I said in my last post, my inclination not to posse with him was sincere so as not to tarnish his enjoyment. From the tone and content of his editorials it appeared that it would. From your first hand experience, it appears that is not the case.

No pitchforks from me.

Grizz

I thought something similar to this myself. But then I realized that tex is probably (note, I never met him, so this is a guess) the kind of man who will not be muzzled, ever. In light of that, maybe he just needs to make it more clear in his article when he is disagreeing with the current rules. The problem with this article is that it sounded like he was trying to clarify the rules. Maybe some of you who know him could pass that critique on to him.

Or maybe tex just likes stirring up trouble. I can respect that too.

Tex, I think, understands this. and he has made concessions. he no longer asks for denim to be banned. all he asked in his editorial was that people in leadership roles at their local clubs should think about the persona they present to new shooters and put a little more effort into their appearance. it is a very commendable goal. but I also believe that the new shooters take a look at the work and effort people put into this game beyond the fact they wear the latest re-creations advertised in the CC.

On the other hand it shows new and prospective shooters that they need not go "whole hog" on costumes right from the start. It would seem to me that a jeans wearing MD would put the jeans wearing new shooter at ease.

I have had the pleasure to shoot with Tex on 2 occasions, the man is a hoot and wealth of knowledge, always laughing, saying lines in a way that makes you laugh, steeping up to run a timer or spot etc, I too love to dress up but have no issues with others in jeans work shirt etc. we have folks that shoot in work boots and tennis shoes due to foot/leg issues. I don't care what you wear. I dress how I want. I have on a few occasions worn jeans. Cave if you ever get the chance to shoot on the same posse as Tex take it you won't regret it.

Rafe

.......... I even wear jeans sometimes! ............

WOW..... I'd like to see that..... tight ones... I hope! :)

Snakebite

WOW! I hate to think of what this game would be like without Tex... Warts & all. I for one, am awed by his courage and stamina. Tex has held the same stance and message since I first met him almost 29 years ago. I wonder if ANYONE in all of SASS has the kind of fortitude to stand in the face of the criticism displayed in this thread. I also question whether some of that criticism is not born of guilt? I know it is for me... every time I start to get ready for a match I try to put on those high waisted 'spender duck trousers; but, alas, it is not yet to be... so into the 501s I go... knowing full well I ain't right or in keepin' with the 19th century look.

When your cowboy closet is the size of a 2 car garage; and you have outfits for a month's worth of matches without wearing the same thing twice... THEN you can say you're committed to costuming. When you've won EOT, or even your category on the World stage while dressed in high 19th Century style, devoted more than 30 years of your life, money & heart to this game, IMO you've earned the right to be THE arbiter of what constitutes appropriate style. (Even if it's Cat that has to pick out his clothes so his color-blindness don't show)!

And Dave, Tex is so much fun to shoot with... I don't mind that every editorial he writes critical of those that don't take costuming seriously IS directed at me personally!

Archived