SASS Wire Forum

How is the powder situation in your area?

JD Trampas, SASS # 55781

As we all know powder is very limited and I mean limited. I know around this area no one has any powder. I know that is going to hurt new shooters in our area with no powder, primers are starting to come in, last year it was primers and plenty of powder, now the opposite. I know a few that wants to get into reloading but can't because no powder, can't even buy cowboy ammo in our area, ammo is picking up some in places, still no 22 ammo.

We have 3 big chain stores in our area that carry powder and reloading supplies but they are not getting any in at all. Maybe I should say no powder that a cowboy can use, I did call a powder company to find out what is going on, he explained they are still producing powder as fast as they can, they just can't keep up with the demand, now he did explain about clays with the fire and it would be late Aug or Sep. I know Powder Valley is out of stock and won't accept back orders which I understand, plus a few other places that sells powder is the same way.

So how is it in your area, here it is not good, seems like they are avoiding Iowa, just my thought

All for now JD Trampas

I've been to a couple of ammo/gun stores in my area and they have quite a bit of TB, Titegroup, Red Dot. I'll check again tomorrow and see what they have. These are not chain stores.

The lgs has one pound bottles of most common powders limit 2 per person tons of primers and ammo. Usually two or three types of 22 on the shelf. The only thing i can't get is the featherlite aa's

The big box stores in there area are a different matter entirely.

I've been trying to find the feather lites. My handloads leave a lot to be desired, and don't shuck well from my sxs. I've been stuck with using my dang 97 lately

My handloads leave a lot to be desired, and don't shuck well from my sxs. I've been stuck with using my dang 97 lately

An opportunity, not so much a problem.

1) Use high quality hulls (Rem STS and Win AAs)

2) Use a loader that sizes the base well, or invest in a Mec SuperSizer 777 to get the base back into standard diameter.

3) Always gauge each shotshell with a shell checker, and for failures, keep them as practice rounds or return to step 2

There is no use spending the time doing smokeless shotshell loading unless your loads are better than the factory in your guns. Because you really don't save much money loading smokeless. They have to work better and give you the desired amount of recoil, or you might as well shoot factory.

Good luck, GJ

A wise old man once told me that we can own as many guns as we want, but "if we ain't nothing to put in em, we can't use em"...

& "When them democrats find that out, watch out"...

Wise words from a old Korean vet now gone!

Respectfully,

CBA

Well- I went to a small gun show 3 weeks ago. Two vendors had .22's.

One was selling a few at $10 per box (yes - a box of 50).

Another was selling the #$%$ out of them for $6 per box of 50.

Powder was "somewhat " available - - but 1 and 4 pound canisters only.

A few guys have contacted me - knowing that I am no longer shooting -

and bought out all my powder. They were VERY HAPPY to get it.

- Boneyard

Powder is impossible to get in Albuquerque New Mexico

I have seen BMG50 and Leverevolution and thats it.

Lots and lots of primers, ammo avail except for 9mm and 22lr and anything cowboy. no brass to speek of.

I would like to add to the available list, Pyrodex, 777, Blackhorn 209.

no #10 or #11 caps

Thanks for all the replies, at least I know now it is everywhere, why I said big chain stores is that is where to get powder, we have quite a few small gun shops scattered throughout in Iowa, but most don't carry power, primers etc etc, just guns.

:Yul Lose, you are lucky then to have powder in your area, I know some pards that are looking for Tightgroup in my area, but alas can't get it or anything else.

All for now JD Trampas

Lots of some powders... none of others... with others scattered in-between. I'm setting up a guard on the place so hoarders stay out!!! They even keep a "wanted" list so when they get in what you're looking for... you get!

Our local shotgun club has some powders, primers and shot.

Saw pards buying 700X and RedDot. They also had some slower powders such as Win 231, Unique, but not a full selection of pistol and shotgun powders. But it appears to be just slightly better than in the last year or two.

Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse in the Phoenix area seem to have Powder and Primers at a too high of price for me to want to pay. Brass is another question entirely. Some calibers available many not. It took almost 9 months for my Back Ordered primers and powder to finally ship from Mid South Shooters Supply but the Pimers were $25 a K and the powder was at a pre panic price as well. Got enough to last a while so may not have to worry during the next panic. I may order BP sometime this summer if I actually get out the 45/70s and work on loads again.

Hard to get around here also.

Was down to 4 pounds of Clays.

Customer of mine came by to pick up bullets. Got to talking about powder.

He just got a bunch of Promo that he was going to use.

Told him I was looking for Clay Dot. He said he had some and swapped me

a 8 pound jug for some bullets.

So I am good for awhile.

But am going to keep my eyes open for more if I can find it.

All one can do is stock up when its available and hope his stock gets him thru the dry spell. I found this out during the last dry spell.

During that last dry spell I was at the mercy of scrounging whatever I could find. As a result I had lots of 1 pound cans of powders and 100 primer boxes of stuff I did not regularly shoot. Its a bad place to be.

I order my power and sit and wait.

BP is very easy to get.

LG

+1

Clays is not hard to get, it is NOT available.

It is not at the Sportsmans or at Dillon down in the Phoenix area. Not available online either.

Stay away from the big box stores. Support your local guys. I can find Trailboss, 700-X, All the dot powders, bullseye ect within a reasonable driving distance.

May have to wait a bit but if I place an order they will let me know when it is in. No problem getting primers unless I am picky about the brand.

My local vendor is having to show guys how to look in the older reloading manuals. In those you will find good pistol loads for what are now mostly considered shotgun powders.

All the above and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee

Holy Black is in plentiful supply! :P

Seriously, I've shot front-stuffers for many years, but I just switched over to FC because I could not find any of my favorite shotgun powders, particularly Clays. Now that I've gotten started with FC, I couldn't be happier (though my hands are a lot dirtier!). ;)

Most of the 'name' outlets have some BP subs in stock...most aren't licensed to store/sell REAL BP (but most of us combine order full cases anyway).

Titegroup & Unique are in very short supply. I have other powders, just haven't worked up loads using them in .38, .44 & .45.

At "major" (State+) matches, I usually shoot FC or FCGF anyway.

Actually got some powder when I stopped to visit a downtown "hole in the wall" LGS/Cobbler (leatherman specializes in CW/IW gear/accoutrements),

He had a box of GOEX/Black Dawg .45 Colt that was in a trade box of stuff...when I mentioned the scarcity of the smokeless powders I used, he went in the back & brought out a full unopened pound of Unique for me. :D

I didn't want to start a new thread. So, I'll ask here.

I am running low on Red Dot for shotgun. My LGS has Winchester AA on sale and lots of it. Would this powder be a good substitute for Red Dot or Clays? Thanks Macinaw

I didn't want to start a new thread. So, I'll ask here.

I am running low on Red Dot for shotgun. My LGS has Winchester AA on sale and lots of it. Would this powder be a good substitute for Red Dot or Clays? Thanks Macinaw

AA is a line of shotgun components. If it's Winchester Super Target (WST) or 452AA (which is the older designation for WST), then it's not too far from Clays. Winchester Super Field (WSF) is a slower powder meant for heavier loads.

Plenty of small pistol primers here, no large pistol primers though. Plenty of powder, but maybe not exactly what you're looking for (mostly slower burning rifle powders). Off the top of my head: IMR4064, IMR4895, IMR4350, IMR4831, IMR3031, Hodgdon US869, H4350, H4831, H4198, H335, H50BMG, 700x, LEVERevolution, Superformance, Pyrodex P, Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex pellets, Titewad, Trail Boss, AA7, AA9, AA5744, AA2495, Magpro, Alliant Black MZ... I'm sure I missed several others I've seen.

Just a update, I called the 2 distributors here in Iowa to find out if they are getting powder, well they are, both told me they have back order's to fill and it goes out as soon as they get it. Also they are not getting what they usually do since the demand is so high and the powder company's are doing the best they can at getting it out to everyone,

So I guess Iowa is getting powders, just not as much as in the past with the demand all over the United States. Basically it sounds like if you want powder you have to go to the store or call them every day to see if they have any.

One place I talked to the manager about 22 ammo, he said they get it in once in awhile, told me to be there at 10:00 o'clock at night when they put it out, lasts only 1 hour,

Just thought I would update about this for Iowa and I'm sure it is the same everywhere, just wanted to let everyone know what I found out.

All for now JD Trampas

You don't have the full name of the powder.

Winchester makes two powders that have a big AA on the jug label.

see link for picture and description: http://www.wwpowder.com/shotgun.html

One is AA Lite, which is used in the factory Featherlite shotshells.

The other is AA Super Handicap, which is used in "heavy" 12 gauge trap loads, mostly.

The AA Lite is very desirable for loading cowboy 12 gauge loads.

The Super Handicap is somewhat useful, especially if you don't mind shooting an ounce or even 1-1/8 ounce loads.

The Hodgdon's online loading data for both of these powders is available here:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Neither powder is a real close substitute for Red Dot or Clays. But either one can load pretty good shotshells for Cowboy shooting.

Good luck, GJ

Sometimes you have to work with the powder company of what is available. I had been using TiteGroup, which is getting very scarce. Our local gun shop recommended another powder, so I bought some. When I checked the online load data, it started around 1200 fps, much hotter than I wanted. Two emails to the powder company and I had a starting point for 900 fps. Note that when I contacted the powder company I gave them all the specifics on my reloading components.

My long winded bottom line is that we've got to be flexible and willing to try options.

Luck to all,

Barry Sloe

Archived