SASS Wire Forum

You didnt know my Dad

Iron Pony

Col. Hugh Mitchell, Jr. USAF Retired, passed away on Thursday in his home with his wife of 62 years at his side. “Billy” as he was known to family and friends was a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point New York, class of 1949. The beginning of his military service predated the Air Force Academy and being fascinated with flying from his childhood he applied for, and was accepted to the USAF for flight training. Part of a large extended family of military officers “Billy” followed in the footsteps of his father, an Army officer who transitioned from mounted cavalry, to signal corps, to Army Air corps to finish his career as one of the first 100 commissioned officers in the United States Air Force.

Col. Mitchell retired from active duty in 1975 after receiving orders he was to be posted to the Pentagon for the third time, a trial he would not put his wife, daughter and two sons through again. Col. Mitchell served across the country, in Germany and Korea as a fighter pilot, in foreign technology, as well as research and development. Assignments in the early 1950’s at Furstenfeldbruk Germany and his lifelong being a “gearhead” resulted in he and Nancy buying and bringing back one of the first 50 Porsche automobiles to the US.

Hugh and Nancy retired to Belen New Mexico and built their home just across a dirt road from an airstrip he had flown over on numerous occasions while stationed at Holloman AFB in Alamogordo. The airstrip, owned by ranchers Weldon and Elizabeth Burris became their home base of operations for many years and they developed a strong friendship with Weldon and Elizabeth. Tie downs for their Cessna 172, N4494L(ima) were put into the tarmac of the driveway and 44Lima was taxied across a plat road to their home to be parked. Opening and closing cattle gates to keep livestock off the runway and away from the house were minor inconveniences in comparison to being able to taxi up to the garage door.

Col. Mitchell was both an aeronautical and electrical engineer; coupled with his great mechanical skills he could design and build just about anything he needed. These creations included motor scooters as a youngster, cameras, photographic enlargers, radios, solar heating systems and even a paper airplane complete with airfoil wings and control surfaces. This last was the cause for scrutiny when his youngest son produced it at a junior high school flying competition.

In addition to his love of flying and almost all forms of motor racing, Col. Mitchell was also an accomplished photographer from a young age. Home, even the family summer camp, wasn’t complete without a darkroom to process film and make prints for home, family and friends. Aerial photography grew from a retirement hobby to business with AirPix keeping 94Lima in the air with wife Nancy, now also a pilot, sharing time at the controls. Other favorite subjects included hummingbirds and lightning that challenged and engaged both his technical and artistic abilities. This love of photography was passed along to all three children.

RVs eventually replaced airplanes as a preferred method of travel for Col. and Mrs. Mitchell and they spent many of their retirement years crisscrossing the nation challenging themselves to see how many friends they could visit on any one journey. Cave Creek Arizona became a favorite destination during hummingbird season for photographic safaris, as did their summer camp in New Hampshire. Travel occupied much of the couples’ time and took them from Alaska to South America having already visited much or Europe during his postings there.

In addition to being my father, Col. Hugh Mitchell was the best man I’ve ever known. He was my hero, teacher, mentor and the finest example of honesty, integrity and devotion to his wife and family. I will always miss you Dad but am comforted knowing you lived, and passed, as you planned and are now at rest.

Keep'm off your six Col.

Semper Fi

Prayers up for you and the rest of his family and friends for comfort.He has his comfort.

My sincerest condolences on your loss.

Tempered with the thought that he lived a rich and fruitful life, admired and loved by many I'm sure.

"Here's a toast to the host

Of those who love the vastness of the sky"

My deepest sympathies, Iron Pony. Prayers up for you and your family.

My condolences to you and your family.

That was a very good tribute to a very good man.

:FlagAm:

Thanks all for the replies, reading them is harder than doing up the description. We were blessed in knowing and having him with us for as long as we did.

On the lighter side, as might be expected Dad had check lists and instructions pretty much all laid out for us and I'm getting through his to do list. One of those things was the funeral plans so Mom and I went to the funeral home Saturday. The plan is simple cremation, simple urn and transport to West Point for services in the spring. Well we picked out a nice oak "urn" and they are going do the USAF seal, name/rank etc.

Sitting there talking with the funeral director I asked if they had tin or aluminum instead. Huh? I explained that Dad was an engineer and liked to build stuff. When he did and they were some type of control device or mechanism they almost always went into a tin or aluminum box he would bend up from flat sheets, drill and pop rivet together. At which point he would make scales for the dials, install toggle switches etc and then make labels for everything. So my Mom and I are sitting there kind of laughing at the thought of his ashes being in one of those home made control boxes and it only got worse when I suggested not engraving it but using stick on dymo lables instead. I think my Dad would have loved it but Mom went ahead with the oak anyway.

I will ask one thing of any of you doing your preplanning/prep work as I'm trying to get Mom all the benefits she is supposed to get from insurance companies etc. Do those you leave behind a big favor and keep track of who bought whom in the insruance world. I'm working on a policy he bought in 1954 from company A that was bought out by company B in 1975, thats paperwork I have on hand. Google gets me to CitiGroup in 2002, CitiGroup gets me to someone else that I'm about to call right now but needed a break.

Sorry to hear of your loss. My Condolences. These kind of men are getting fewer and fewer as time passes. You are his legacy, and that shows tremendously well in the words you crafted in your thread.

God bless you, your Mom and all around you.

TT

Archived