SASS Wire Forum

Another Newbie Saying Howdy

Flanigan Flats

Howdy, another newbie here. My new name is Flanigan Flats. I live in Reno, Nevada. Like others on here I spent hours every day as a kid riding my horse (bike) and fighting the good fight with my trusty toy six guns. Good western movies have always been my favorite movies. John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Robert Duval, Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot are my favorite actors. If it wasn’t for Louis L’Amour, I probably would not have learned to read. I still reread my favorite Louis L’Amour books every year. So yea, I guess I’m the stereo typical middle aged man trying to reach back into my childhood and play grown up cowboys and indians.

I haven’t shot in an actual match yet. I am an Active Guard Reserve in an Air National Guard unit here in Reno. I’m a Security Forces member and work weekends right now. That is supposed to change in the middle of Jan when I move to a back office job. If that doesn’t work out I’ll start taking leave on Sundays LOL. In October I was TDY in Texas and participated in a New Shooter orientation put on by the Tejas Caballeros. Dragon Hill Dave and Doc Crumley were the primary instructors and did a great job covering all aspects of Cowboy Action Shooting. It was very informative for me and put the last tug into setting the hook for me. There were lots of different CAS guns for us to try. Open top revolvers, New Vaquero’s, 1858 Remington’s with conversion cylinders, A hammered SXS, Stoeger SXS, a 97, A rossi 92, a very slick 66. I’m sure I missed something but you get the point, there was lots to try. My wife’s uncle is an active shooter in my area and has been a great help to me as well. He is lending me a gun cart until I build one and has answered all of my many questions.

I am still trying to get all of my gear together. I know that I can and should borrow a lot of it at first and I am some of it. But I prefer my own guns and duds. After shooting the New Vaquero’s at the Orientation I was sold on them. My local Scheel’s had a pair of 5.5” 45 Colt New Vaquero’s on sale for $499 and they ordered a Uberti 73 short rifle for me. That was an expensive day LOL. The rifle hasn’t arrived yet (60-90 day back order) and I really am trying to be patient. I already had a Stoeger coach gun kicking around the house so it is getting a real job. My duds are basic at the moment but will improve with time I am positive. Levi Button fly pants with the belt loops removed. A Levi button up shirt with the collar removed. I have bachelor buttons to install on the Levi’s to attach suspenders to. I have some traditional cowboy boots and a decent hat. I am looking for a good vest now. Guess I need to start making the rounds at the good will. For leather I’ve pretty much decided on Mernickles CA5-6 system along with the Mernickles Evil Roy Shotgun Belt. I’ll most likely pull the trigger on that purchase just after the new year. I hope to start shooting in Feb so I'll need a good warm jacket as well. My idea of what I want duds wise is a sagebrush popper in town on Saturday night and on the prod. I will be shooting double duelist maybe at some point I’ll get good enough to try gunfighter.

The local club here in Washoe County NV is the Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association. My wife’s uncle shoots with this club as well as a few other people that I know. So I’m sure this is the club I will end up calling home. Another cool factor for me is that the club takes its name from a local misunderstanding a hundred or so years ago called the Roop County War. It stemmed from the border dispute between California and Nevada in the early 1860’s. The local part of the dispute that actually came to an exchange of gun fire in Susanville, CA was over the Honey Lake Valley north of Reno. I happen to own a fair bit of Sagebrush on the Nevada side of the Honey Lake Valley near the railroad ghost town of Flanigan, NV. Hence my alias. But I think it is cool to own property in the area from which the club takes its name.

Anyways enough chatter from me. I just wanted to introduce myself and say howdy to all.

Wow, talk about jumpin' in with both feet! You're sure doin' it there, pard! Welcome to where the cool kids hang out.

A guy here at work decided to try cowboy shooting when I sold my old main match guns. He bought them, a Stoeger coach gun and a slicked up 92 all in about a week and a half...

Welcome!

Welcome to the game how deep you going to delve? Holy black on the darkside or the modern smokeless stuff. I can be little lazy on cleaning right after shoot so I wimp out with the latter. I got hooked same way in new shooter clinic and was initiated with some black.

Welcome.You're gonna have ton's of fun playing this cowboy game we all enjoy.It was a good intro letter and enjoyed reading it.The club I shoot at also has a far reaching background to it's name as well.The Sun River Rangers.There actually was a formed Ranger group set up right after word came of Custer's demise, and the Fort at Sun River pulled all but a very small garrison watch out to go to the Little Bighorn.Again welcome.And as a side note there's a LOT of clubs in Nevada and surrounding states.In time I encourage you to travel to some and get to know some of the best people you'll ever associate with.

Welcome to the fire!

If you keep up with the energy so far exercised, we will see you in the Chronicle before long shooting at number of events.

Lots of shooters will want to share their experience and thoughts. They are all valuble, but you have a mighty start already. I suspect that any equipment changes would be regretted since you are starting where most of us take a couple of years to get to.

Have fun, stay safe and share your experience by inviting others to CAS!

I big welcome from a Texas pard.I have been it this for one year and three months and Ihave loved every minute of it. It gets better and better.The shooting is a blast but the people that you shoot with and meet on the wire make it the best game in the world.Again welcome.Pit Bull Tex

Flanigan Flats, it is good to see that you took the enthusiasm from our New Shooter's Orientation back to Reno and forged full ahead. I know that you will enjoy yourself in this sport, and as you have already found there are a lot of folks out there willing to help. And for folks in other clubs who see this young man's enthusiasm, I encourage you to consider doing New Shooter schools and actively recruiting your buddies. It is a way to build the sport, and, at least for me, lets those who teach get renewed enthusiasm as we see these new folks get excited about our sport.

Check out those guys in Fernley, Nevada too--Quick Cal and his crowd. I have shot up there a couple of times in the Western State Championship and have really enjoyed it.

Good to see you fired up and ready to shoot. Best of luck and I hope to see you down the trail.

Welcome to the fire. Now iz the time ta warn ya 'bout all the fun you iz gonna have shoppin'.

You need 2 six guns for the main match. .38/.357

You need 2 six guns for back ups .38/.357

You need 2 more six guns in a different caliber .44's or .45's

You need 2 more six guns for back ups in the same caliber .44's or .45's

You need 1 rifle for a main match .38/.357

You need 1 rifle for a back up. 38/.357

You need 1 rifle in a different caliber .44 or .45

You need 1 rifle for a back up in .44 or .45

You need a double barrel shotgun short barrels

You need a double barrel shotgun long barrel

You need a Winchester 1897 12 gauge shotgun

You need a Winchester '97 shotgun as a back up

You need a deringer for side matches

You need a pocket pistol for side matches

You need a long range lever action rifle for side matches..30-30...38.55

You need a Single Shot Long Range rifle for side matches 45.70 Black Powder

You need a pair of Cap and Ball pistols for Plainsman side matches

You need 3-4-5 hats

You need chaps

You need shirts

You need 8-10 bandanas(different colors ta match the shirts)

You see where this iz going yet?

You need a truck and camper for ta stay in at 2-3 day shoots

You need a gun cart to haul all the guns around and to have a place to sit

You need a good job and a fat wallet to buy all this stuff you need

You need patience grasshopper...shoot safe....speed comes with time...don't try to go fast at first. You'll have a grin on your face you can't grind off with a belt sander. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Welcome to the fire. Now iz the time ta warn ya 'bout all the fun you iz gonna have shoppin'.

You need 2 six guns for the main match. .38/.357

You need 2 six guns for back ups .38/.357

You need 2 more six guns in a different caliber .44's or .45's

You need 2 more six guns for back ups in the same caliber .44's or .45's

You need 1 rifle for a main match .38/.357

You need 1 rifle for a back up. 38/.357

You need 1 rifle in a different caliber .44 or .45

You need 1 rifle for a back up in .44 or .45

You need a double barrel shotgun short barrels

You need a double barrel shotgun long barrel

You need a Winchester 1897 12 gauge shotgun

You need a Winchester '97 shotgun as a back up

You need a deringer for side matches

You need a pocket pistol for side matches

You need a long range lever action rifle for side matches..30-30...38.55

You need a Single Shot Long Range rifle for side matches 45.70 Black Powder

You need a pair of Cap and Ball pistols for Plainsman side matches

You need 3-4-5 hats

You need chaps

You need shirts

You need 8-10 bandanas(different colors ta match the shirts)

You see where this iz going yet?

You need a truck and camper for ta stay in at 2-3 day shoots

You need a gun cart to haul all the guns around and to have a place to sit

You need a good job and a fat wallet to buy all this stuff you need

You need patience grasshopper...shoot safe....speed comes with time...don't try to go fast at first. You'll have a grin on your face you can't grind off with a belt sander. Just sayin'

Big Jake

And don't forget all the stuff you will have to buy just cuz you "want" it! :)

Welcome to the Fire!!

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Howdy Pard,

As Reno isn't far from me, our paths may cross some day. You are lucky to have some good folks to shoot with at High Plains Drifters and Roop County Cowboys.

If you decide to venture to CA, this Website has information about most No. CA Clubs.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Bienvenidos, Flannigan Flats!

As if winter doesn't seem long enough on it's own, it will seem even looonnngggger while you are waiting on that rifle!

My (non-SASS)brother recently retired to Reno, so I may be out your way and have a chance to shoot with you (never leave home without'em!). Looking forward to it - and maybe I can get the sibling interested. He does shoot.

Buena suerte, amigo

eGG

Welcome to the game Flanigan Flats

It is very addicting. My story went like this....Phantom let me shoot for free in January. Dragon Hill Dave and the gang at the Tejas Caballeros put on thier new shooters orientation for $10 and then, before I new it, the list that Big Jake has above starts looking reasonable. I think they got their business model from the local drug dealers.....but this is way more fun. :lol::):lol:

Have fun and don't keep it real.

Cowboy Small

Archived