SASS Wire Forum

How fast IS fast

Widder, SASS #59054

A takeoff from the Thread by Deuce!

O.K., I've read here on the Wire and have also heard in person those comments where some are in this game (CAS) for the fun of it while others are just in it for the speed.

Soooooo, just how fast IS fast before the fun diminishes?

Seriously, to someone who can shoot their 10 rifle shots in 7 seconds, at what time barriers would it take before it ain't fun? Would 5 seconds be no fun. How bout 3.5 seconds?

Lets say you shoot your 10 pistols in 8-10 seconds. What would be the majical speed before it becomes no fun? Would shooting 10 shots from 2 Single Action revolvers become no fun if you do it in 2.5 seconds OR LESS? Do you think it would be horribly painful if you could do it in Sub 2 time?

How bout the Shotgun. If the accepted speed for SG for a top shooter is an average of 1 second per shot, would those whose average is 3/4th of a second be having a terrible time.

How about those SxS shooters who fire both rounds in about a third of a second or less sometimes? I bet most of those shooters go home crying because it was such a terrible day.

Anyhow, I hope some of you see what I'm getting at.

Best regards all

..........Widder

I'm pretty sure I'd still enjoy it, even if I could get off my last shot before the buzzer ended...

When you're really on, time slows down anyway and it's like an out-of-body experience. That's when I enjoy it most.

It is not fun if you "work" hard at being a faster shooter and still shoot stages in the 40-55 second range. Then you decide you are shooting "for fun" and stop wasting time and resources to get any faster to prove you are inept.

Personally, I just love to shoot. I only stopped CAS because it took an hour to shoot 24 rounds. I will come back to it when I cannot afford to shoot the other more expensive gun games and shooting 120 rounds a day is all I "need" or can afford.

Coffin Filler

When it isn't fun Widder, I am gone, gone, gone. I never was fast in the first place and I have slowed down about 15 seconds a stage average since I started the game. Sort of did myself in sort of. I went from smokeless powder to the real stuff, then ventured into cap and ball and I love the fun I have. See the part where if it isn't fun I won't be there.

The other aspects of CAS for me are getting my guns to function good enough for a top gun to shoot them, just in case I have to lend them out and then there is the fun I have with the great pards I have met up and down the trail. Yup, I fear it is the people and not the shooting that keeps me into the game and surely not vice versa. That is something else also, you can make it into just what you want to in order to have a fun time. Perfect.

:)

Widder, yer not supposed to kick road apples ;)

Seriously, even for us mere mortals, every now and then, when we "burn down" a stage at super fast speed FOR US, it takes until about Wednesday to wipe the grin off the face.

I suspect those NOT having fun are having one of those days when gun troubles or "rectal-cranial inversion" has em flummoxed. Sometimes folks gotta learn when to fold the cards and wait fer another hand. It ain't SPEED per se, it's the chasing it at all cost, even when it AIN'T fun that hurts.

If I'm having a day when I can't seem to get "in the zone", I just stop fighting it and make noise and have fun, saving TRYING for another day.

Of course, I gotta TRY to go fast first, which ain't even been on the agenda since I been shooting this Outlaw thing. Mebbe I will use the sights this Sunday, see what kinda trouble I can get into :)

I, too, have heard the comments (and even made a few myself) about just being in CAS for the fun. When I'm really "on" I'm sure having FUN! And when things just are not going right ~ I'm still having FUN! How many times have I earned a P on stages I have written, walked the Posse Marshals through, and walked my Posse through! :lol:

A (very) few excellent shooters that I know cease having fun when the slightest thing goes wrong for them. Frederick Jackson Turner's song "You know I'm a Cowboy...." was written for them.

But the BEST of the BEST seem to have a grand old time regardless of rifle jams (or failure to load a rifle)and just get on with the job, grin and joke about competition's little snags.

I like being posse'd with top shooters ~ and with shooters at the other end of the spectrum. Best of all is seeing everyone finish the day with a big smile!

Buena suerte, amigos

eGG

When you start missing everything and your guns start to break and malfunction.

yeah, I don;t mind the misses, but the gun malfunctions have a way of biting into my fun....so I just bite back :lol:

How fast IS fast ya say?? This page says it all :D

http://www.spencerhoglund.com/worldrecords.html

G (who's guns are faster than me :lol: ) G ~ :FlagAm:

Howdy Widder

I believe that one of the greatest parts of SASS is that each individual gets to determine what "fun" means for him/her own dang self.

When I started my times were between 40 and 45 seconds per stage not including P's and misses. Now I can shoot a stage between 25 and 30 seconds most of the time clean. Am I having more "fun" now than when I first started? Yep because I cleaned up my act and can shoot a clean match if I put my mind to it. That's partly how I define "fun".

When I shoot Outlaw I don't expect to shoot as well as if I'm sighting AND I shoot slower AND I miss a lot more. Do I still have fun? You bet.

Does Larry Earp still kick my butt? Yep and soundly even when he's havin' a "bad" day.:excl:

Kinda got on a tangent there, sorry.

How fast is fast? It's up to the individual. I measure fast as trying to beat my best time ever. For me that's 158 seconds for 6 stages. For a lot of guys they might consider hanging up their rigs if they shot that slow. But hey, I'm just in it for the "fun".:lol:

Ride easy, Widder,

Waimea (I ain't fast but I try hard)

:FlagAm:

I'm guessing that some folks that have made the comments about it being fun or not fun aren't necessarily referring to the speed the person shoots. Rather I suppose they are referring to shooting 25,000 or more rounds in practice every month, several hours a day dry-firing, not to mention the time and cost of all the reloading. At that point for some it becomes more about being work than just the fun of the few seconds it takes someone of that ability to shoot the stage.

It only quits being fun when you're trying to spot for ultra fast people. Was that submachinegun that that just fired a burst?

Seriously, I want to shoot as fast as I can. I've made myself a very nice speed rig, my rifle and shotgun have been worked on by some of the best cowboy gunsmiths in the country and I've even considered practicing more. But, in reality, except for a few certificates and maybe a belt buckle or trophy, fun is the only reward for shooting cowboy. Don't get me wrong, I want to shoot as well as I can and I love beating certain people, but I'm never going to be able to compete with the super fast people. Hanging out a couple of times a month with great people is the real reward.

I do, however, love watching someone shoot a stage clean and fast. People who speak poorly about top shooters are the same guys who trashed talked starters in athletics while they sat and "warmed the bench" in high school or college.

I guess it stops being fun for me when the RO puts away his shot timer and pulls out his hourglass when I get to the line! :)

It depends on your definition. I don't think you can define it as "at what speed." I think you have to look objectively at the time and dedication to the practice that result in that "speed."

Some folks look at dedicated daily practice as "work." Some look at dedicated every other day practice as "work." Some look at ANY practice as work.

Well ........ then we have to define "work." Oh boy ....... :wacko:

Now there are those of us whose previous professions defined "practice" as "life insurance." :ph34r:

Yet, any time spent bustin caps and burnin powder should count as FUN!! :D

Some folks had their FUN surgically removed at birth along with their sense of humor :rolleyes:

So, speed only comes with practice :o hence, any speed should count as FUN :lol: If folks just point at 'ya and giggle, be entertaining and it will still be FUN B)

Coffinmaker

I just want to be as fast as I can be.I have fun no matter how fast I am. I love to watch the fast guys I have seen Possum in the zone on stages.I have seen T Bone shoot. I dont think anyone has more fun than those two guys but me.I can't wait until my grandson comes over and ask,Paw Paw can we shoot.Any time I am with the people from Orange and Lake Charles I have fun.I will never be fast but I wont stop trying to be faster.I love this game,if you cant have fun playing this game take your toys and go home.

I'll never be one of the top guns like Deuce.....but I'm hoping to have just as much fun as he is! ^_^

One day, maybe I'll get the chance to posse up with him. ;)

Yea, I hear alot of shooters say "I'm just here to have fun" "I'm not into the competition part" http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd133/LoneRiderLeather/BullShirt.gif

I'm here to have fun and try to http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd133/LoneRiderLeather/nutkick.gif

All at the same time :rolleyes:

I don't know the answer to the question "when do you shoot so fast you no longer are having fun," but I am trying to find out. I will let you know when I do. :)

I was thinking about this topic as I drove back and forth today, and it occurred to me that maybe the guy Deuce overheard was really saying "Deuce practices and practices hard, I just show up and shoot." The assumption is that practicing and working hard isn't fun. Well I am here to tell you that for me practicing is just about as much fun as shooting in a match. There is so much to learn and so many ways to improve. You are constantly trying how to do something better. That is what makes Cowboy Shooting so much fun.

I have known a lot of professional athletes who made big bucks playing some game or other. To a person they love practice and working hard. That is what made them successuful.

The other day as we were loading up, one of the Elder Statesmen in our club and I started talking about the match. He told me he had had a tough day, things didn't go well for him. After telling me all the problems he had endured he looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and giant smile on his face, and said "don't worry I will work everything out out in practice this week. I will get it done next time." What other game does some man who has lived 75 years look forward to practicing and to the next match with the anticipation of an 8 year old?

O.K., I've read here on the Wire and have also heard in person those comments where some are in this game (CAS) for the fun of it while others are just in it for the speed.

Soooooo, just how fast IS fast before the fun diminishes?

What I read into their "justification of their position" statements is:

I'm just shooting at the matches, I ain't gonna spend any more time or money than that trying to get faster. Their implied definition of fun is that they will just shoot what they already have, no tuning or buying new guns, and no extra practice trying to get faster. In other words, they will just shoot for fun (with what skill sand equipment they have) rather than shoot for speed. It is a justification, after all, a way for the shooter who has no intent to polish up their skills, but is "just enjoying life", to explain to his buddies why he got beat. I take no foul from their statement of what "fun" is for them. I don't think they REALLY intend to demean the ones who are striving for more speed and skill, nor intend to paint them as "not having fun".

Unfortunately, they often don't have the ability to cork it when it becomes annoying. On the other hand, most of the top shooters quickly develop a sense of when to "cork it" about how fast or how well they shot, or what tweaks they have done recently, and just talk amongst themselves about those topics.

Sounds like you are asking us "whose definition of fun, is really correct?" The answer of course is "what ever floats your boat", cause it's different for almost everyone.

Good luck, and don't take it personally, GJ

Widder,

In any given stage - there is a finite amount of fun.

And ALL shooters have access to the same amount of fun.

If they shoot a stage in 45 seconds. They experience 1/45 of FUN per second.

If they shoot a stage in 15 seconds. They experience 1/15 of FUN per second.

But regardless if it is 45 x 1/45 or 15 x 1/15

At the end of the stage - Same amount of fun, just experienced differently.

Widder; From time to time I watch the world record runs that You, Duece, Bud and others have posted. I watch in amazement and on a regular basis I get to see the likes of Duece and other top shooters perform at monthly and state shoots. I'm smart enough to know that I will never even be close to you guys. I do know that the fun is going to keep going for a long time as I've got so much to improve.

I will ocassionally shoot a stage in a record time for me....it's like in golf the first time you try to break par....and then when you do it's euphoria. It continues to be that way with this sport. I'll sit back and watch you guys beat your old times and I'll continue to trudge along working on my own.

Widder, I know how proud you were when you shot 6 shotgun on target in 4.71 seconds and I know you are going to continue to get faster. So, to answer your question.....THERE IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT....AND WHILE YOU ARE WORKING ON 1/HUNDRETHS OF A SECOND....I'LL STILL BE SHAVING SECONDS OFF.....LOL.

Your pal. KK

What we all are saying here is that every shooter can find whatever satisfaction they personally want to have. So if one shooter comes up and shoots a 15 second stage and walks away with a smile and the next shooter shoots a 45 second stage and walks away with a smile I'd call that the best sport you can participate in.

Like top fuel drag racing. They run on the finest line of total disaster with every run. And when they can't put it all together there is no coming close/ Not unlike a really fast shooter. Then the guy pulls up in a bone stock rice burner and runs 20 second pass. Both are competing at the level they want to.

For me I keep trying to shoot as fast as I can, but at the same time I laugh at my train wrecks, I joke about my oops, and walk away happy. When I put it all together and really beat my own best I walk away with a smile.

Ike

Widder, I've been pondering this question since I read your post. Now you know this is one of them hypothetical answers, cause I ain't real fast, but I've come to a decision. I believe it would cease to be fun if I could get fast enough to finish the match before I leave the house. But right now I don't see that happening anytime soon, so I think I'll just keep trying to get a little faster and keep having a whole lot of fun.

Come and shoot with us sometime and practice up for State. I always have fun watching a good Gunfigter shoot.

Randy

Hey Widder, I've been a competitor in different sports my whole life. What I've learned is that there is always going to be someone better than me. I personally enjoy watching anyone who has reached the pinnacle of their sport. No one really cares what my score is but me.

DAS

Widder, I'll tell ya when "too fast" equals a heart break. (and no, it ain't one of them steaming radiator or waterfall moments, har!) Too fast is a heartbreak when ya toss a big green frog popper at a row of lily pads with a fly rod, SEE the pads parting and a wake like a motorboat as a BIG OLD HOG of a largemouth makes his run, see the popper disappear, try to set the hook and all ya got is a bit off line. It takes about 4 seconds to happen, and the anticipation, adrenaline rush, and heartbreak will be with ya for some time.

(Can ya tell I DID NOT size and lube Coffinmaker's bullets this evening? :) )

Archived