SASS Wire Forum

Well That Was Interesting. ——UPDATE——

Last weekend I shot 10 stages with my ROA’s and they ran flawlessly.  When I got home I got them out to clean them and one nipple on each cylinder was stuck.  As is my normal practice I use anti-seize on every nipple whenever I put them on.  The other five on each cylinder came out without issue and all still showed the anti-seize on them.  I tried every trick I knew on the other two, soaked them with Kroil, froze them, heated them, and still the two nipples just laughed at me.  As you can imagine I don’t liked getting laughed at, so out came the big guns.  I had to drill them then use a left handed extractor but that taught them and they gave up the fight.  I finished up by getting the correct size tap and chased out all the threads.  Next I’ll throw the cylinders and nipples in the ultrasonic cleaner and get them nice and clean again just so I can put antiseize back on them and put them together.  Hopefully the other nipples learned a lesson and won’t try to fight me the next time. 

Edited by Tequila Shooter
  • Haha 12

My brother used to drag race his GTO on the weekends and daily driver during the week. Before the race at the drag strip he'd change spark plugs.  One time and never again,  he applied a small amount of silver anti size on the plug thread's. Only to about not get them out the next week. As it looked, the heat turned the aluminum in it, to fuse the plug in almost permantly.

I have used a dab of Bore Butter on nipples and just snugged them in and it worked fine

• Like 1

Nothing worse than an uncooperative nipple. :o

• Haha 14

I use choke tube grease and then back the nipples off a quarter turn. When I get ready to shoot,  I tighten them up. I've bought a couple with stuck nipples.  I use two posts to set the cylinder over to get a more secure grip on cylinder.  

cylinderposts106202023.jpg.99c260b51f68b6f4e4148f5007409990.jpgcylinderpost206202023.jpg.83ee77c88e8c7eace81161929aa69e5c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

This is my method for removing stuck nipples.
I use the set-up that Warden referred to, only in a drill press vice.
Then I chuck the nipple wrench in the drill, and lower it down until it is on the nipple.

The drill press keeps the nipple wrench from slipping off.

Then I turn the drill by hand.

It has never failed to remove any stuck nipples, and does not destroy the nipple in the process.

--Dawg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I prefer the copper anti-seize, more suited for high heat applications.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I made my own Nipple wrench out of a 1/4 socket and I use a ratchet.

Then I put choke tube grease on them .

Never in 30 years have I had one not come out .

I have herd of people trying all different kinds of things .

But choke tube  grease has served me well .

Rooster 

• Like 1

Bore butter or copper anti-seize.  I've only had one nipple stick where a nipple wrench couldn't get it out.  A little heat, and viola!  Out it came.

14 hours ago, Tucker McNeely said:

Mobil Red synthetic grease?

I prefer this, too.

Whatever you choose to lube threads with, remember it doesn't take a whole lot.  If you coat the threads all the way around, the excess will get squeezed out when the nipple is seated into the cylinder and could cause problems.  I use a Q-tip to wipe a smear on one side of the threads.  The lube gets distributed completely around when the nipple gets screwed into place.  Never had a frozen nipple even after shooting several months of matches without removing nipples for cleaning.

IMG_3465.thumb.jpeg.8e5ea33c2f64cc0eb6c009b00fc97d8c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:41 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

Nothing worse than an uncooperative nipple. :o

i like a cooperative better to tho , 

that said i think you need to change your products - while i cant offer a better solution , others are not having this issue so something better is out there , 

these things are what keep me from switching to BP every time i think to do it , ill just keep shooting it for the fun range moments when im not depending on my tools , 

Edited by watab kid

All I've ever used was a drop of oil on the threads after cleaning.  Never had an issue concerning stuck nipples.

19 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I prefer this, too.

Whatever you choose to lube threads with, remember it doesn't take a whole lot.  If you coat the threads all the way around, the excess will get squeezed out when the nipple is seated into the cylinder and could cause problems.  I use a Q-tip to wipe a smear on one side of the threads.  The lube gets distributed completely around when the nipple gets screwed into place.  Never had a frozen nipple even after shooting several months of matches without removing nipples for cleaning.

IMG_3465.thumb.jpeg.8e5ea33c2f64cc0eb6c009b00fc97d8c.jpeg

That is way more than I use.

kR

I use just a dab of choke tube grease. Then install until they just bottom out. Never had an issue removing them. Although I do remove them every time I clean the guns as it's just easier to clean that area of the cylinder.

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

That is way more than I use.

kR

What!!??  You don't use one of these:

61tAU25xo9L._AC_SX679_.jpg:D:D:D

• Haha 3

• Tequila Shooter changed the title to Well That Was Interesting. ——UPDATE——

UPDATE

Much to my surprise I didn’t have any spare nipples, so I was two nipples short :o   I got some new nipples (they were bright and shiny and looked just a little perky) and this new coppery stuff to keep my nipples from freezing in place.  So I coated my nipples in copper and twisted them in until they were all the way down.  I guess the next step will be to make sure fire will go through them. 

BTW if you read this and think dirty thoughts you may not be a Frontiersman. 

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

UPDATE

Much to my surprise I didn’t have any spare nipples, so I was two nipples short :o   I got some new nipples (they were bright and shiny and looked just a little perky) and this new coppery stuff to keep my nipples from freezing in place.  So I coated my nipples in copper and twisted them in until they were all the way down.  I guess the next step will be to make sure fire will go through them. 

One should always have spare nipples on hand.  You just never know when you'll come into another C&B revolver!  

Eggszackerly!  Or simply a "karen", limited understanding of context, or... just dirty minded.  (The last being the most likely)!

Edited by Griff
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I did and you know that I'm not. :D

La Sombra

• Like 1

image.gif.4f6599566613824521b1c6175b5cc116.gif

• Haha 7

HA  PLUS ONE for Griff.  I always keep a couple sets of Slix on hand.  Never know when a Brandy Knew to me Cap Gun is gonna pop up.  Also, I'm not always a Frontiersman (Sometimes) but I are a Gunfighter and there is nuttin like a pair of Snubby 44 Cap Guns spittin fire and smoke whilst thinkin dirty thoughts you betcha!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Many years ago I was in a female owned and operated Ace hardware in Colorado. I turned beet red when I asked her if she had offset nipples. (They are an electrical fitting.) She saw my discomfort and started laughing, stating she did, and then showed me, the electrical fittings that is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

Many years ago I was in a female owned and operated Ace hardware in Colorado. I turned beet red when I asked her if she had offset nipples. (They are an electrical fitting.) She saw my discomfort and started laughing, stating she did, and then showed me, the electrical fittings that is. 

First off it couldn’t be that many years ago, you’re too young.  Anyway, in today’s, shall we say polite society, I’m surprised we can even say “nipple” in public. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

First off it couldn’t be that many years ago, you’re too young.  Anyway, in today’s, shall we say polite society, I’m surprised we can even say “nipple” in public. 

they are called protrusions now. LOL

TM

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve seen both High Beam and Low Beam……..

Sam Sackett 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was working with some Brits in Hawaii and took one of them to a tourist shop where he asked the female store owner if she had any smelly rubbers he could give his daughter. You should have seen the look on her face as she was literally getting ready to call the police! I quickly walked over and told her that he was British and didn't know proper English, an eraser is called a rubber over there. Apparently "Scratch and Sniff" erasers were very popular in England at that time.

• Haha 2

after reading this thread im starting to wonder if BP is just too much trouble to enjoy , ive not had issues with mine but i dont shoot them for CAS