SASS Wire Forum

What do you do for mice?

These are very good.  Living in the country, there are occasionally mice.  It is possible to have an entire live mouse trapped inside one of these, so if it has been tripped with no body parts visible, inspect before opening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Victor traps, larger than whatever you are after (I get mice and rats). Bend the prong open and clamp it back on some cheese.

I also use some string, a couple of screws, and a chunk of 2X4; connect in some obvious way. This keeps a half-dead rodent from crawling off to create future stink.

Victor-Metal-Pedal-Mouse-Trap-2-Pack-M02

• Like 6

I found evidence of mice in my attic (house attic…just to be clear)

The property owners handyman, a total jackass said “Hey, it’s West Virginia! Nice are everywhere.” Dumba**
Anyway, I have excellent luck with electronic pest control for bugs so I bought this for mice and put it in my attic. No more mouse evidence. 

https://a.co/d/2qSQbeZ

Unfortunately the one I bought isn’t available currently but there are others that are very similar. 

EDIT

Same company and it appears the same except the color

https://a.co/d/gjDQOwe

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Like 2

Those type of traps you are using have been the best I've used. I have one in my plow truck and get one of the little bastages weekly and haven't refreshed the peanut butter in years! For long term in my garage and camper; I put 3 inches of anti freeze in a 2 gallon pail, made a ramp from a yard stick and put a dowel across the pail with a short piece of PVC pipe in the middle. Works well and the victims don't decay lying in there all winter! Just emptied the one in my garage and had 17 mice in it! I dump em in a heavy plastic jug and send em to the landfill with our trash. Just have to be sure pets can't get to it. During the winter storage of our old camper, usually had a dozen of the little pink critters in the spring! ;)

One of the most important factors is placement. Mice, (and rats) don't see very well, so they move along walls feeling with their whiskers. I place traps along the wall and make sure that they can't get around the trap. 

Where I used to live, I got them in the cabinets, so I made little paths with cans leading to a dead end, (no pun intended), with a trap in it. I like these traps. The phony cheese is big enough that they can't miss it.

image.png.d1b0cad41f85808aa7b39bb015182c34.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

One of the most important factors is placement. Mice, (and rats) don't see very well, so they move along walls feeling with their whiskers. I place traps along the wall and make sure that they can't get around the trap. 

Where I used to live, I got them in the cabinets, so I made little paths with cans leading to a dead end, (no pun intended), with a trap in it. I like these traps. The phony cheese is big enough that they can't miss it.

image.png.d1b0cad41f85808aa7b39bb015182c34.png

I started out with those, but got tired of snapping my fingers!:angry:

42 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

These are very good.  Living in the country, there are occasionally mice.  It is possible to have an entire live mouse trapped inside one of these, so if it has been tripped with no body parts visible, inspect before opening.

There are two versions of this trap, one for mice, one for rats. I have nailed baby mice with mine but they’d never fit inside.

The old Victor snap traps, we gotta trap constantly, unfortunately,  being on a farm and tons of dog food for rescue..constant battle with the dirty lil buggers

• Thanks 1

I've lived in our place, directly across from the South Nation Wetland Reserve bushland for 13 years. I put the Sonic Pest Chasers in the garage when I first moved in and have never had a mouse or any other critter.

The neighbour, beside me and farther away had trouble until I told him about the devices.

Our old hunt camp, (no electricity) had a mouse problem and we used the garbage pail, dowel and anti-freeze method, mentioned by Eyesa Horg, as well, but man, what a lot of mice!!

• Like 2

Max, my Tomcat, is a great hunter. I Iive in the forest so every conceivable pest lives here.  

Max cleaned my house and is working on my yards and fields. He isn't limited to mice!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peanut butter is an excellent bait on snap traps. Works every time. 

Side note: that’s how they trained rats to eat through doors for the movie Willard. Peanut butter. They started with cardboard and worked their way up to doors. 

• Like 1

I used D-Con in my garage, I saw two at different times very lethargic and fat. They were out during the day too. I wouldn’t use them for in the house but those ones that Marshall listed look good.

4 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Bucket of water will finish the job.

Years ago, a good friend in Law Enforcement moved into a new job and nice little house in an old neighborhood.  While he was at work, his wife encountered a bold, large rat.  She took it out with one shot from a Model 27 - more than enough gun.

• Like 2

Here is a picture of a mice catcher that doesn’t work(top) and a mice catcher that works really well. The next picture is of the trap baited, peanut butter in the middle with dry cat food appetizers on the ends. I’ve caught up to 4 mice a night in one of these. We buy them by the case and I set 3 of them out in the garage and a couple out in the shop. Even though I’ve got the sonic electronic deterrent devices we still get a bunch of mice out here in the country along the stream.

IMG_4768.jpeg

IMG_4766.jpeg

IMG_4769.jpeg

• Like 4

Never had any luck with D-Con! Put it in the camper and when we opened up in the spring found most of the D-Con gone and mouse droppings and chewed TP everywhere. Took a pair of boots out of the closet and found all the D-Con in the boots!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Never had any luck with D-Con! Put it in the camper and when we opened up in the spring found most of the D-Con gone and mouse droppings and chewed TP everywhere. Took a pair of boots out of the closet and found all the D-Con in the boots!

When I had a camper, I was told to spread dryer sheets around for winterizing. Mice don’t like them.

• Like 1

Just now, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

When I had a camper, I was told to spread dryer sheets around for winterizing. Mice don’t like them.

They didn't work for me, neither did peppermint oil on cotton balls or Cab Fresh. They even opened new packages of Can Fresh and ate it all. Anti freeze did the trick with no smell and minimal clean up! Just left my above mentioned pail in the kitchen. Nothing chewed, no droppings, just a pail ful of perfect looking dead vermin.

• Thanks 1

I find a 10 gauge with 1 1/2 ounces of #8 shot to work remarkably well.  Kills them and disposes of the body at the same time.  :D :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

There were four churches and a synagogue in a small town: a Presbyterian church, a Baptist church, a Methodist church, a Catholic church and a Jewish synagogue. Each church and the synagogue had a problem with rats.

The Presbyterian church called a meeting to decide what to do about their rats. After much prayer and consideration, they determined the rats were predestined to be there and they shouldn’t interfere with God’s divine will.

At the Baptist church the rats had taken an interest in the baptistery. The deacons met and decided to put a water slide on the baptistery and let the rats drown themselves. The rats liked the slide and, unfortunately, knew instinctively how to swim so twice as many rats showed up the following week.

The Methodist church decided that they were not in a position to harm any of God’s creatures. So, they humanely trapped their rats and set them free near the Baptist Church. Two weeks later the rats were back when the Baptists took down the water slide.

But the Catholic Church came up with a very creative strategy. They baptized all the rats and consecrated them as members of the church. Now they only see them at Christmas and Easter.

Not much was heard from the Jewish synagogue. They caught one rat and circumcised him. They haven’t seen one since …

• Haha 6

Tomcat poison bait packs. I use them all around my cabin and wood pile. They stash it and eat it later I think. Very few mice or chipmunks around my place.

• Like 2

Odd that this thread and a book about the Battle Stalingrad that I am reading on my Kindle has something in common.

Of Mice and Tanks:  The  German 48th Panzer Corp, which was not directly involved the fight to take Stalingrad and so wasn't receiving supplies,  had dug pits, drove the tanks into the pits and surrounded the tanks with straw to protect the engines of the panzers from the cold.  The problem was with the straw came mice who promptly ate the insulation off the wiring in the tanks.  When the 48th Panzer Corp was ordered into action, less then half of it's 102 tanks were capable of even moving, all due to the damage the mice had done.

Edited by Chantry
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

When I moved to my grandparents farm, the mice were everywhere.

I could sit in the building working on stuff at night and watch the mice run along the slats in the corn crib.

I told my brother and he said he had a cure.

He brought over a Tomcat that was fixed.

One week later did not see any mice running around but the cat was almost double in size.

He has been here several years and stays in the building and roams all over the place and I almost never see a mouse unless he is playing with it.

Rabbits, birds and other things are not safe from him.

Cat.JPG

• Like 2

When this cat was younger she was a mouse, rat, gopher, snake, squirrel, you name it killing machine. As she got older she lost all interest in any of the above. I watched her catch a mouse not long ago and she laid down on the garage floor and played with it and when she got bored with it she let it go and it ran off. I’ve tried to get my wife to quit feeding her but she doesn’t like that suggestion, oh well. I brought home another cat about a year ago and our cat hated it and it disappeared after a couple of days.

IMG_4768.jpeg