SASS Wire Forum

How Much Would You Pay for a Bottle of Whisky?

Cypress Sun

Let’s say 26 shots in a 750ml bottle so that’s $103,846 per shot. 

I am guessing the bottle is a standard 750ml. I found an interesting article on whiskey container history. That bottle could be 700ml.

https://whiskeybon.com/blog/different-whiskey-bottle-sizes/

"And what is a $2.7 million whisky like? Macallan's Master Whisky Maker Kirsteen Campbell, who gave the tipple a sniff during the reconditioning, said it contained notes of “rich dark fruits, black cherry compote alongside sticky dates, followed by intense sweet antique oak.”

“Dark chocolate, treacle, ginger … the notes go on and on,” she said."

I envy those who can identify and separate odors and tastes this precisely, if they really can.

Thinking I will stick with my Dalwhinnie 15yr, but even that is getting expensive these days.

12 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

25 shots to the bottle in most cases. 

16 shots in a 750 ml "fifth"...

Either measure contradicts the story about why there are 18 holes in a round of golf; because there are 18 shots in a bottle of Scotch so the round was over when the whisky ran out!

48 minutes ago, bgavin said:

There is a seller on Cal Guns offering Trail Boss at a similar price.

Me?
I'm still hunting around for a bottle of Bernheim Wheated Whiskey.

You just want the empty bottle, right?

Spending that much on art, classic car, or property makes sense, sort of. You can get your money back.....maybe!

In the end you have an empty bottle.

Restaurant in Japan paid $1,000,000 US for a blue fin tuna. The gold stanard for sushi. He had a celebration and invited long term favorite customers for free!

18 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And all you end up with is expensive urine.

And then you drink it!! <_<

(that’s what I think of Scotch)

Last month we had a Fellowship in the Dark night at my lodge... everybody brought a bottle to sample, fire pit going and cigars.
I liked the Apple Whiskey the best... I must have a fru-fru sense of taste.

Yesterday was the Master's birthday party, so I dropped off a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon for him.
I have a nasty cold, so did not stay to sample the BT bourbon, which has a good reputation.

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

16 shots in a 750 ml "fifth"...

Either measure contradicts the story about why there are 18 holes in a round of golf; because there are 18 shots in a bottle of Scotch so the round was over when the whisky ran out!

Measured in “Scottish“ shots. ;)

41 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Reckon that re-corker person had more than just a whiff of that Scotch?  .......    I would have :) 

You kiddin' me? That was probably a $7,000 whiff just by itself.:D

I was in the UK when the gill and fractional gill measure was legislated out.  Wonderful, antique  pewter measures went for a pittance in flea markets.  I regret not buying a set, works of art.  Simply divide the price for the bottle by ounces.  I came up with $108K per ounce.  Funny, I can recall a corporate event in Texas where a guy, considerably refreshed.  called for a best in the house bourbon round.  I think it was $150 a shot times several folks who had one.  No way to expense it.  Lesson, maybe.

14 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

You kiddin' me? That was probably a $7,000 whiff just by itself.:D

I would have at least dipped my finger in and licked it......nah who am I kidding, I would have had good swig and filled it up with water.....just like we did when we were kids in the family drinks cabinet :) 

12 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I would have at least dipped my finger in and licked it......nah who am I kidding, I would have had good swig and filled it up with water.....just like we did when we were kids in the family drinks cabinet :) 

That didn't work when I was a kid, doubt it would work now either.:rolleyes:

i tend to what my father raised me on - jim beam , not overly expensive but greatly satisfying , i do appreciate an expensive taste from time to time as long as it is truely exceptional - not just expensive 

I don't drink anymore but I just paid $23.00 each for two 750ml bottles of Glayva.  That will last me the rest of my life for a spoonful over ice cream or on Malt-O-Meal.  It wasn't imported into the US for several years, but Total Wine found these for me at a supplier in Canada.

They are also the only reliable source for sarsaparilla in this area.  I drink A LOT of that!

The number of shots in a fifth depends on the shot glasses. 
Bar shots = 1oz - 26.4 per 750ml bottle

Standard shots (normal shots) = 1 1/2oz - 17.6 per 750ml bottle. 
Cheating a little on shots one can get 27-1oz shots or 18 - 1.5oz shots.

This is all providing the bottle is actually 750ml

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

i tend to what my father raised me on - jim beam , not overly expensive but greatly satisfying , i do appreciate an expensive taste from time to time as long as it is truely exceptional - not just expensive 

Though my dad's bourbon was Old Grandad, I too buy mostly Jim Beam. Good quality with reasonable price. Always know what you're getting.

I'd pay a heck of a lot less than I'd invest -- there IS a difference.

A bottle of sippin' whiskey lasts me quite a while, so I don't mind forkin' over as much as $100 for something I plan to drink straight up.

I'd pay a mite less for somethin' I plan to thin out, though.

And whiskey that goes over $1000/bottle? Shucks, I doubt I'd ever be caught out hangin' in that company.

I worked for a very large German company for a couple of years. My job was to try and sell parts and maintenance packages to light rail agencies. My job was also to set new customers (transit agencies) up with spare parts and special tools and to also help design shops, yards and other related facilities. I hated that job.

Anyway, on business trips the guys that pulled down the high 6 figure incomes would always try one upping each other on who could buy the most expensive liquor in the bars we always seemed to end up in. 
It was quite pathetic to watch these guys interact when drinking $300 a shot Scotch and other fine liquors. 
The thing that really irked me was these buttheads would always and invariably inquire what others were drinking so they could brag about what they were drinking and how much it cost to lather up their egos. 
When they would ask me I usually was having Jim Beam shots and a favorite brand of beer like Bass Ale, New Castle, Shiner Bock or some very good Hefeweizen.

Then I would get the “refined redneck” jokes or quips. I usually had a snappy, stinging smartass comment back to them. It usually ticked them off, but I was never in fear of being fired. I knew I was an asset they couldn’t easily replace. 
I only lasted 2 1/2 years there. I got to the point where I couldn’t stand working for a bunch of obnoxious rich Germans and their wannabe American lap dogs. 

I'm the Scotsman who finds a fly in his glass, picks it up by the wings and says, "Spit it out, ya thievin' varmint!"
As such, I have less than zero interest in high priced booze.
The only one I have is a big bottle of Canadian Black Velvet, which is mostly used for medicinal purposes over ice.

On 11/19/2023 at 10:31 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Though my dad's bourbon was Old Grandad, I too buy mostly Jim Beam. Good quality with reasonable price. Always know what you're getting.

thats why ive stayed with it , its great neat and i use it in my sweet manhattans 

I don't drink very often anymore. Most of the time it's when we get together with our kids. When I do drink I like to try different bourbons and ryes. Wild Turkey 101 is a good one for $20. There are a lot I'll buy in the $30 to $60 range. My most expensive is Bookers that has crept up from about $60 when I first bought it to $90 now and those are when I find it at Costco. Otherwise it's more. 

Archived