SASS Wire Forum

Getting back in the saddle

Cockney Rebel

A friend is encouraging me to go to a match this Saturday.  It will have been at least 2 years since my last match.  I will probably be very slow and questionably accurate.  I know it's more for fun than competition (for some of us anyway) and no better way to get back than with folks you know.

Any other tips you can offer?

I didn't feel that I could practice enough between matches, in particular with pistol shooting.  It didnt make sense to me to be practicing my aim during a match.

Everyone was encouraging but  I wanted to be able to at least hit where I was aiming.  I have moved to a new property where I can practice on my own land.  I have also since got a lot more involved in the wild west reenactment scene.

1 hour ago, Cockney Rebel said:

A friend is encouraging me to go to a match this Saturday.  It will have been at least 2 years since my last match.  I will probably be very slow and questionably accurate.  I know it's more for fun than competition (for some of us anyway) and no better way to get back than with folks you know.

Ignore the “beep” of the timer, get the bad guys and have fun.

After about a 3 years of absense myself, I found pards and pardettes more than helpful and thoughtful to ease me back into the game.  Ain't much speed left in me, so fun is the prime factor for me.

I wouldn't worry too much on accuracy nowadays.  Big and close seems to be the norm now...unless you're shooting Sharpshooter or Cody Dixon...go have some fun!

Take an RO1 class when offered.  That will update you on rule changes.  There have been a few changes (that I consider positive).  You picked a good time to return.  Powder and primers were scarce a few years ago.  Now they are available (and expensive!).  Winchester just started shipping low noise, low recoil AAs.  They were unavailable for much of 2023.  Be sure to stock up if you need some.

Howdy Cockney,

For what it's worth, go, shoot, have fun. If what you want above all else is to be "fast" and that makes the shooting and camaraderie secondary then you are missing out on a great sport and some great people. That's up to you. Let's face it, most of us do not end up on the top of the score sheet. However, we do the best we can and take whatever "victories" we can and have a great time with good folks. I'm not a "competitor", but I understand the mindset and there is room in our sport for that. Your choice.

Rev. Chase

I'm in a similar situation.  I've finally recovered from medical problems caused by long Covid and two knee replacements that have put me on the "injured reserved list" for the last two years. I'm going to tomorrow's shoot to hang out and I plan to start shooting again next month.

I've kept in touch during my absence; cowboys are my closest friends for 20 years now, but I'm still nervous about how much my skills have deteriorated.  I've always been competitive, but that was when I shot 3 matches a month.

As a gunfighter, I've been dry firing some while practicing different sweeps.  I'm going to my first match with low expectations, except for having a good time and not getting DQed.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!  

14 hours ago, Cockney Rebel said:

Go have fun !

Only Compete with yourself .

Rooster 

13 hours ago, Dark Horse Charlie said:

Just have fun! And follow my motto ... slow is fast. Relax, focus and it will all fall into place. Oh, and enjoy!

Uhhh...

Smooth is Fast, Quick is Slow

;)

14 hours ago, Dark Horse Charlie said:

Just have fun! And follow my motto ... slow is fast. Relax, focus and it will all fall into place. Oh, and enjoy!

Well...if you're thinking "speed"...whether slow or fast, you're thinking about the wrong thing.

;)

Phantom

16 hours ago, Cockney Rebel said:

I didn't feel that I could practice enough between matches, in particular with pistol shooting.  It didnt make sense to me to be practicing my aim during a match.

Everyone was encouraging but  I wanted to be able to at least hit where I was aiming.  I have moved to a new property where I can practice on my own land.  I have also since got a lot more involved in the wild west reenactment scene.

That's what monthly matches are for, practice.

8 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well...if you're thinking "speed"...whether slow or fast, you're thinking about the wrong thing.

;)

Phantom

There is no right or wrong. Its all personal. I say slow is fast. When I slow down and focus I shoot better. That reduces misses, which makes my times better. 

I'm here to have fun. I dress. The part and shoot the best I can. You do what you do and we have fun doing it.

2 hours ago, Dark Horse Charlie said:

There is no right or wrong. Its all personal. I say slow is fast. When I slow down and focus I shoot better. That reduces misses, which makes my times better. 

I'm here to have fun. I dress. The part and shoot the best I can. You do what you do and we have fun doing it.

Actually, there is a Right and a Wrong. ;)

And as far as the "I'm here to have fun"...well...duh. Who isn't??

If I can't compete, I won't have fun. If I don't have fun, I won't compete.

Phantom

Good for ya! Know what you mean, last few years been sorta rough on Cimarron & I. Betwixt silly stuff and medical stuff that wasn't so silly, neither of us have done much shooting. Hoping to turn that corner here real soon, we'll see. I can tell you from personal experience, you'll do just fine. Like riding a bike.

On 11/16/2023 at 9:33 AM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I'm in a similar situation.  I've finally recovered from medical problems caused by long Covid and two knee replacements that have put me on the "injured reserved list" for the last two years. I'm going to tomorrow's shoot to hang out and I plan to start shooting again next month.

I've kept in touch during my absence; cowboys are my closest friends for 20 years now, but I'm still nervous about how much my skills have deteriorated.  I've always been competitive, but that was when I shot 3 matches a month.

As a gunfighter, I've been dry firing some while practicing different sweeps.  I'm going to my first match with low expectations, except for having a good time and not getting DQed.

You’ll be surprised by how much your muscle memory will take back over..

have fun..

Unfortunately I forgot how much of a mental game it is too.  The MD set some easy stages but I miscounted my shots on a Lawrence well sweep with pistols and went to holster after 4 shots, the MD called that I had one more but my body was already moving to holster, my brain froze and I dropped my pistol with one live round…Match DQ!  No one’s fault but my own.

17 hours ago, Cockney Rebel said:

Unfortunately I forgot how much of a mental game it is too.  The MD set some easy stages but I miscounted my shots on a Lawrence well sweep with pistols and went to holster after 4 shots, the MD called that I had one more but my body was already moving to holster, my brain froze and I dropped my pistol with one live round…Match DQ!  No one’s fault but my own.

I believe we may all have had a day or two when our brain just says "NOPE!" and things like this happen.  IMHO it's about how we handle the situation, get upset with yourself for a minute or two, take a dep breath, and posse back up.  There are probably very few people in SASS who have not had a MDQ at some point for some reason.  On the plus side you still get to see and be with your friends and hopefully still get the lunch after! 

17 hours ago, Cockney Rebel said:

Shake it off and get ready for the next match. I just shot the Texas Black Powder State Championship match last weekend and on the last gun on the last stage I dropped a fully loaded revolver. MDQ. At least I got to shoot the whole match before that happened. LOL Oh well, this coming week in another day and another match coming up.

TM

So what if you're slow?

As long as you're having fun and enjoy the people, go for it.

I finish near the top.....................of the bottom 1/4 but I have fun! LOL

My times, for a single stage are close to what I see some for an entire match!

I concentrate on shooting CLEAN and have a hoot!

At 80, I'm not interested in winning the Cadillac SUV prize anymore.

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

So what if you're slow?

As long as you're having fun and enjoy the people, go for it.

I finish near the top.....................of the bottom 1/4 but I have fun! LOL

My times, for a single stage are close to what I see some for an entire match!

I concentrate on shooting CLEAN and have a hoot!

At 80, I'm not interested in winning the Cadillac SUV prize anymore.

I don't know ANYBODY that complains about someone going slow...never experienced it.

Phantom

25 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I don't know ANYBODY that complains about someone going slow...never experienced it.

Phantom

Nor have I.

Although, Red Storm and I are always looking for ways to safely speed things up BETWEEN shooters.

We tried using the same steel for rifle and pistol, just moving forward to shoot the rifle targets with revolvers, after the shotgun portion, thus allowing the brass pickers to retrieve the fired cases.

Hard to do now, with the increase in numbers at our dedicated range facility, because we've had to run split posses shooting in the same bay, starting at either end.

On 11/16/2023 at 10:33 AM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Shoot frontier cartridge Gunfighter! You’ll have a BLAST and you won’t have any expectations of your performance! WELCOME BACK whatever you shoot! Have fun and I hope to see you on the trail

this next year!

Hugs!

Scarlett

glad you have rejoined us but im a tad unclear on the motive to stop when you did - did you have medical issues or just mental issues ? we all have our bad days and all of mine are bad days but ill not stop shooting till i have to for a medical/physical incapable of doing it issue , if i got upset every time i shot bad id never shoot again 

i always figure i can shoot a bit better next time and ill not be wanting to miss all the great people i get to see when i show up , besides , once in a while someone like scarlett will show up at the shoot your at and make it that much more special --- she showed up at peace in the valley last summer and made my day with a hug 

Shoot safe and Have Fun.  You already know you are out of practice and will not win the match.  Concentrate on front sight and having fun.  I totally suck but no one else has as much fun and I get to play with my guns a lot longer than the fast guys

Archived