SASS Wire Forum

73 lever safety removal

Irish Pat

Not advised to do this because it could result in an out of battery discharge.  To remove you have to remove the butt stock,remove the side plates and disassemble the internals,  remove the lever, remove the two side screws at the back of the receiver and remove the hammer/trigger assembly.  From there you remove the hammer spring and push out the pin that holds the lever safety spring.  You then push out the pin that hold the trigger and lever safety in place. 

My first ‘73 was a used gun with the safety removed. After an out of battery discharge resulting in a bent lever I sent it to a smith and had the safety put back in. I don’t sense any difference in speed of operation with or without the safety. 

30 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Just replace the stock spring with a light aftermarket spring and you won't notice the safety anymore ;)

What he said. ^^^^

T.O.'s really don't want to be standing beside a shooter with an out of battery either.

If you do remove them I am interested in your old Parts. Somebody removed them from my rifle before I purchased it and I would like to put them back in.

Not sure if it's still listed, but I saw a 1873 carbine on Gunbroker with the safety removed and the seller listed that as a "worthless" feature that was best removed anyways. 

As others have pointed out, it's best to leave that trigger safety in.  Though I proved to myself it won't prevent an out of battery it will help in the event you trip the trigger early.  

Some Lustrum ago, there was a great and oft heated debate about the wiseness/dumbness of removing the Trigger Block Safety on the Uberti 1873.  The reasoning for removal was the Spring.  That spring was best used as an overload spring on a pick-up truck.  Then the Major manufacturers jumped in and made after-market springs so you don't know the safety is there.  Taking out the safety as opposed to a 8 or 10 dollar spring seems . . . silly.

PLUS ONE for Phantom

Get the light spring kit.  Just installed one.  About $13 shipped.  10 minutes to install using their instructions.  

My first '73 carbine had the safety spring break over 20 years ago.  Now the safety works by gravity, and seems to function fine!  Of course, if I try to shoot it upside down the safety won't work properly. :)

The '66 doesn't have the trigger block safety.  Does that cause problems?  (FWIW, I used a '66 for a few months and sold it, partly because of no trigger block safety.)

3 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

The '66 doesn't have the trigger block safety.  Does that cause problems?  (FWIW, I used a '66 for a few months and sold it, partly because of no trigger block safety.)

It can...but it's kind of a Strawman.

Phantom

3 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

My current backup is a 66.  I've had two out of batteries with it.  Don't really notice it until you start going faster.  Then you have the problem.

You can have an out of battery discharge with a 73 carbine even when it has the trigger block safety in place and functioning. I have seen it happen once. A 357 cartridge with a deformed bullet did not fully chamber and that darn thing slamfired. Bent the lever and upset the action timing. This kind of OB discharge was demonstrated a few years ago in the Chronicle also. 
Don’t fear the 66.

My Navy Arms 66 has the safety just like the 73.

I'm happy it does .

I have three 73's and one of them the previous owner removed the safety when they did the short stroke to it .

I want to put the parts back in this one .

So if anyone has a complet setup they removed from there rifle .

I am interested in the parts you took out .

Rooster 

I like the looks of the 66. Have one, shot it all the time. Until an OOB discharge. Did not care for the face full of hot gas and brass shrapnel. Gun was not damaged. But, I rarely shoot it anymore. Prolly havnt had it out of the safe in 4 years. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 2:26 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

My first '73 carbine had the safety spring break over 20 years ago.  Now the safety works by gravity, and seems to function fine!  Of course, if I try to shoot it upside down the safety won't work properly. :)

Sadly I cannot stand on my head long enough to work lever and align sights 

Kind of reminds of the idiots back in the 70's and 80's who pinned the grip safety, so it didn't work, and removed the Colt Series 80 firing pin block system, and then carried their 1911 with a round in the chamber, hammer cocked, and slide safety not engaged.  Definitely stayed far away from them.

On 11/16/2023 at 3:54 PM, Hoss said:

I like the looks of the 66. Have one, shot it all the time. Until an OOB discharge. Did not care for the face full of hot gas and brass shrapnel. Gun was not damaged. But, I rarely shoot it anymore. Prolly havnt had it out of the safe in 4 years. 

Thankfully my 66 has the 73 safety on it .

I'm glad it does .

Two of the Three 73's I have still has the safety on them .

I will eventually by the parts for my other one and put them back in it .

Rooster 

Archived