SASS Wire Forum

BUG-A-SALT

Buckshot Bear

I’ve used one a time or two! Couple years ago, at Comin’AtCha’, I was standing guard over Copperhead’s fish fry station and used one to keep the insects away and to terminate those that were brave enough to challenge my ATHORITAE! :lol:

Worked great!!

Plus they’re a helluvalotta fun!

Got one, love it, though it needs a screw in choke ... mine's like my grouse gun, it has all the choke of a highway culvert.
Have to get up really close to guarantee success.

My neighbors have a couple they keep out of their pool for when they have parties. They work well enough and are fun but I thought the price tag on them was a little high at around $50.

Then again, since when does a CAS put a price tag on fun? ;)

I have a camo one that I was given for Christmas last year. It’s still in the box. 
I had a yellow one that worked pretty well. My grandson “borrowed” it and I never saw it again. 
I learned pretty quickly not to use them in the house. Sure, it kills flies and spiders but spreads salt everywhere, especially if you run through the house firing as fast as you can pump it chasing a huge fly. My wife was not amused or impressed. :rolleyes:
Over a period of 3 or 4 weeks I would hear this voice from down the hall say “I found some more of your salt. Please tell me that damn thing is still in the garage.”

By the way, do not get the salt wet. It jams them up, per my grandson. He left on the patio and it rained. It was in the patio because my daughter told him “Put that damned thing outside. I don’t ever want to see it in the house again!”

Apparently he and his buddies were having fun with it shooting at flies then each other. 
Are you seeing a trend here?

If shipping to Oz wasn’t so much I would send my camo one to you @Buckshot Bear

Just now, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Are they legal in California?  :rolleyes:

Probably has. P65 warning on the salt.

I looked at the salt in the checkout line at Sportsman's warehouse the other day.  It took me a while to figure out what was going on until I noticed the guns beside them.  High Tech that salt, has to be the right grain size and have clump protection.

Reminds me of those 'Quarry Cops' shooting rocksalt when I was a kid :P

I had one.  It wasn't worth a darn.  I was never able to kill, or wound, a thing with it.  That includes attempts on a fly sitting on my glass at a range of about one to one and a half inches.  Worthless waste of money, in my experience.  I'm glad other folks had better luck.

Angus

I like mine. I use it often in the house with just plain Morton salt. 

Of course, the air is pretty dry in AZ so it doesn't clump.:D

I have found it is not too effective on wasps and has NO effect on Tarantula Hawks!:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived.......these are so much fun!!!!!

If ya' ain't got one...shout ya'self one!

Great arm and upper body work out.....worse thing is when there ain't no flies!!!!!!

Shooting through some hibiscus leaves at different distances you can really pattern them and see how they knock down and blow flies away!

We got some type of fly down here that does a bit of hovering, they're the darn bestest......like clay shooting!

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Bought one at a yard sale last week for $7, lady said granpa couldn't figure how to use it. I cocked it and shot it and bought it. Works great.

kR

Shirttail better keep an eye on you for sure. LOL

TM

9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

What’s that you say? Australia? No flies?  Say it ain’t so!

4C4F84F3-4C59-4906-A697-A54E4AFE3C14.jpeg

I am trying to figure out the hat. Why is it like that? Do the swinging corks keep bugs away?

Archived