SASS Wire Forum

Why so few have guns in Israel?

Trigger Mike

They are only alowed to have 50 rounds of ammo.And only pistols.

Largo

All governments have the ability to thoroughly screw things up and get their people killed. American politicians do it well and the Israelis, unfortunately, are not immune from the same stupidity.

PF

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

when guns are outlawed , only outlaws will have guns 

:ph34r:

An oldie but a goody! 

In the 1940s, in Germany, 6 million Jews were murdered because by law they were unarmed and could not fight back

In 1953, Joe Stalin died, which put an end to his plan to murder 3 million Russian Jews, who were unarmed by law and could not fight back.

So now we have a Jewish state made up of the survivors of these mass murders, and the people are unarmed by law and cannot fight back.

Is it just me, or is that one of the stupidest damn things you've ever heard of?

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

In the 1940s, in Germany, 6 million Jews were murdered because by law they were unarmed and could not fight back

In 1953, Joe Stalin died, which put an end to his plan to murder 3 million Russian Jews, who were unarmed by law and could not fight back.

So now we have a Jewish state made up of the survivors of these mass murders, and the people are unarmed by law and cannot fight back.

Is it just me, or is that one of the stupidest damn things you've ever heard of?

Not just you.:angry:

59 minutes ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Source for Stalinist planned program?

Pretty much common knowledge!!

Israel used to be better armed at the civilian level. And there used to be less space between what was military and what was civilian.

But there were suicides, and to a lesser extent crime and accidents.

So as Israel became more peaceful, more and more restrictions on firearms ownership came about.

And there was a reduction is suicide, at least by firearms (I have not looked at total numbers and by other means). And there was more peace through the land. Until this week.

And now restrictions are easing, those in the military can have guns off-duty. And those which pass other hurdles. An the hurdles are getting reduced. And perhaps citizens will be able to have more than 50 or 100 rounds. And more than one firearm, though the government is struggling to provide each vetted citizen in vulnerable areas with just one.

And the stated goal now is to have a gun on every street corner. I call that a good start.

Here in our country, we are also making progress. I'm glad we do not need to make this change as fast as Israel does, though I wish we would. We are already so much closer to what they needed last week.

I have always found it either annoying or fascinating that the number of Jews killed by the Nazis keeps increasing over the years since the war. No one mentions the gays, Gypsies, invalids & disabled, troublemakers (per the Nazis), political, people of color, etc. 

If Israel legislated their people into paper tigers, perhaps these people need to pull their heads out and fix things. 

I can tell you that if our government said “no more guns” the results would be quite different from the Israelis. 

When it’s time to bury your guns it’s actually time to dig em up and use em. 

The founders of Israel were intensely what we would call liberal. They had guns because they also were realist (realist and liberals, a weird combo). They knew every one wanted them dead. Every decade of peace led to more guns removed from the civilian population. When I visit I am always surprised. Hopefully some good will come out of this attack and Israel will acknowledge that ever human has an inalienable right to be able to defend themself. The gun rules got particularly bad about 10 years or so ago.

Oh, and yes Israelis serve a 3 year mandatory hitch in the IDF but that is only required of Jews. Many of the super Orthodox religious Jews get out of it. Arab muslim, druse, and Christians can serve but do not have too. The Druse almost universally serve. Christians and muslems at a lower rate.

Most Jewish people vote democrat here in the USA. That always confused me. They’re mostly conservative people and the Holocaust should remind them that gun control is not a smart idea. 

Historically, Jews were banned from being armed in Europe for centuries.

And the mandating of their wearing a patch in the shape of a star was continuation of centuries of laws that forced Jews to wear distinctive clothing when outside their ghettos.

Pograms against the Jews didn't start with the Nazis.  Sadly, it's got a long history.  Nazis just industrialized the process.

Nor were the pograms limited to Germany and farther east.  The English banned Jews completely for a while, the Spanish forced their conversion to Catholicism (then hunted 'secret Jews' with an obsession and turned the ones they caught over to the Spanish Inquisition), ...  The French were as rabidly anti-semitic as the Germans.

11 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Must be a gov't thing... after all, the Palestinians have plenty of guns.

It is.

Probably a lingering effect from the radical Left leanings of many prominent Jewish leaders in the interwar years.

10 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

It is.

Probably a lingering effect from the radical Left leanings of many prominent Jewish leaders in the interwar years.

Exactly!

I read 2% private ownership.  If any private citizen in the world needs a good weapon Israel needs to be high on the list.  IMO they should be more like I understand Switzerland is or was.

I watched Hamas fly over in those ultralights thinking that the Alabama or TX boys would have had a blast handling that small issue.  You want to be in an Ultralight 'Assault Vehicle' trying to fly, steer, handle a gun and avoid incoming?

You want to ram thru a wall and start running into someones village with concrete walls when they have shotguns with OO?

Over and over again people get massacred because there isn't a balance of power and they are forced to depend on the police or military.  U R UR 1ST _____ of Defense.  Unless you live in an American Gated Community with our 'leaders'....

9 hours ago, Gungadin said:

I watched Hamas fly over in those ultralights thinking that the Alabama or TX boys would have had a blast handling that small issue.

Dove and quail hunting is a long and deeply held tradition in Alabama and EVERYBODY does it to one extent or another. I ain't a shotgunner or bird hunter but even I've been on a dove field a few times.

Them attack ultralights don't sound like a healthy life choice to me. Can't armor them but can't fly high enough to avoid everybody with Grandpa's 16 gauge H&R Topper and a half a box of shells in the back of the closet and still do damage.

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

A handgun with 50 rounds would have only allowed you to take a few of the terrorists with you before your inevitable dirt nap.

>Furthermore, as a general rule, civilians can have no more than 50 bullets in their possession at any given time.<

I didn't take that to mean that they could carry no more than 50 rounds. I took that to mean they could have no more than 50 rounds.

Regardless, how many people generally carry 50 rounds of ammunition with them? I've had people tell me they had their 9mm with its 19 round magazine and a couple spare 33 round magazines, but really - who does that routinely?

I have an MTM ammo wallet. Holds 12 rounds. With the five in the cylinder that give me 17. Occasionally I carry an 18 round wallet, and that bumps it up to a big 23. But then other times I carry a six round pistol and one HKS speed loader making it 12.

50 rounds. I guess they wouldn't have to worry about drowning out there in Israel by falling in the river. :P

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Regardless, how many people generally carry 50 rounds of ammunition with them? I've had people tell me they had their 9mm with its 19 round magazine and a couple spare 33 round magazines, but really - who does that routinely?

Depends on how far from home I'll be travelling or what I might be carrying.

If I owned a G26 and were staying around town with it concealed IWB - loaded with a 10-rd magazine and a spare 17-rd handy, only 27 rounds.

If I owned a G19 and were staying around town with it concealed OWB - loaded with a 15-rd magazine and a spare 17-rd handy, only 32 rounds.

If I were going on a road trip, with either of the above, there would also be a couple more loaded magazines in the vehicle/luggage/go-bag.  There would be more than 50 rounds.

With three 15-rd magazines equaling 45 and three 17-rd magazines equaling 51, I don't see it as unreasonable to believe there are lots of people routinely carrying 50 rounds.  I don't find it overly difficult to conceal three 17-rd Glock magazines.

Some people have comfort carrying a 2-rd 22LR derringer.  More power to them.

Archived