Songs you can't stand

Chantry

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I’m sorry.

:lol:

No need to be sorry, I think it’s a great tune. Nice chord changes, good musicians on that cut and Maria has a pleasing voice. Actually I feel sorry for you!

15 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No need to be sorry, I think it’s a great tune. Nice chord changes, good musicians on that cut and Maria has a pleasing voice. Actually I feel sorry for you!

The jazz guitar is actually quite nice 

4 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

The jazz guitar is actually quite nice 

Yes it is! The album version sounds better than the live version you posted. Her voice is a little shaky in the live version. Pretty girl though:wub:

Freebird.  Southern Man (& almost anything by Mr KnowItAll Young - CS&N never needed him).

Tommy:  I like DEVO (whip it good!)

I suppose I could ride in a car with just about anyone on this thread so far and tolerate their playlist, but I am pretty confident the opposite would not be true.

It also seems some people think a song "shouldn't have been made" simply because they found it to be overplayed. Or, maybe I'm misunderstanding what was written and they simply can't stand them.

The current country-pop stuff we can all agree on it seems.

I enjoy what I suppose one would call "old school" rap. Run-DMC, LL Cool J, Kool Moe Dee, The Beastie Boys and others will all turn up. I'm not fond of later "Gangster Rap," though. The current stuff is a definite turn off to me.

Stairway to Heaven? We Are the Champions?

Led Zeppelin and Queen will be found prominently on my playlists. Stairway to Heaven is not my favorite Zeppelin song, and it has been overplayed, but come on!

So, what song can't I stand? The first one that comes to mind is Nazareth and "Hair of the Dog." Someone mentioned repetitive earlier. I think Nazareth responded with "Hold our beers." What song do I think should never have been made? It is a stretch for me to think of one that goes that far. But if my life depended on it, I would say "Aqualung" by Jethro Tull.

7 minutes ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Most seasonal pop music...Grandma got run over by a reindeer, Jinglebell Rock, and especially, Little Drummer Boy.

Agreed! But at the same time, I love the standards and classical seasonal music.

If I had to pick one song that should never have been written or recorded, I couldn’t do it!

But there are certainly three that come quickly to mind.

#1: Just A Swingin’

#2: Family Tradition 

#3: You Never Even Call Me By My Name

Not Necessarily In That Order!!

There are two great songs that were ruined by being so overplayed! Stairway To Heaven and Free Bird have been played so far past “to death” that I just turn them off when they come on.

When we played the fraternity houses in the Southeast, with the guitar players in our band, we invariably had requests for both of these songs. I would announce that one of them had been asked for and explain that we did know whichever one was requested, but that it was a “Tip Bucket” song and that if we played it, we expected a hundred bucks in the tip bucket for each member of the band!  Since there were always five to seven guys on stage, we only ever played Free Bird twice that I remember. 

There’s another song that I learned because it was so often asked for. “Keep Your Hands To Yourself” was big on campuses all over! It was also a song that more than one customer demanded not be played! I really hate that song!!

35 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I suppose I could ride in a car with just about anyone on this thread so far and tolerate their playlist, but I am pretty confident the opposite would not be true.

It also seems some people think a song "shouldn't have been made" simply because they found it to be overplayed. Or, maybe I'm misunderstanding what was written and they simply can't stand them.

The current country-pop stuff we can all agree on it seems.

I enjoy what I suppose one would call "old school" rap. Run-DMC, LL Cool J, Kool Moe Dee, The Beastie Boys and others will all turn up. I'm not fond of later "Gangster Rap," though. The current stuff is a definite turn off to me.

Stairway to Heaven? We Are the Champions?

Led Zeppelin and Queen will be found prominently on my playlists. Stairway to Heaven is not my favorite Zeppelin song, and it has been overplayed, but come on!

So, what song can't I stand? The first one that comes to mind is Nazareth and "Hair of the Dog." Someone mentioned repetitive earlier. I think Nazareth responded with "Hold our beers." What song do I think should never have been made? It is a stretch for me to think of one that goes that far. But if my life depended on it, I would say "Aqualung" by Jethro Tull.

I actually liked Stairway to Heaven and We Are the Champions...the first 40,000 times I heard them. It's after the other 2,000,000 times that I started hating them and would turn the station or turn the radio off. But I did like them in my ute.

I never said those two shouldn't have been made...the other ones, yes...they should have never been made.

33 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Agreed! But at the same time, I love the standards and classical seasonal music.

The Christmas song by Nat King Cole is one of my favorites along with many of the classical and standards! 

5 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Most seasonal pop music...Grandma got run over by a reindeer, Jinglebell Rock, and especially, Little Drummer Boy.

....... and it's all gonna start again REAL SOON !!!  :o:(:angry:

8 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Yup! And “Santa Baby” by any performer, but especially by Madonna. 

I will admit I have a soft spot for Eartha Kitt's version.

I see so much dislike for "You Never Even Called Me By My Name." Yeah, I'm not much for the David Allen Coe version, but as done by Steve Goodman or John Prine (the original co-writers) it seems to have more appeal. I seldom laugh so hard at a song as when I watch Steve Goodman perform it here. What an awesome parody:

I can't stand any rap efforts at talent.   Whatever happened to the Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke, Jerry Butler, Gene McDaniels wonderful singing talent that brought my teen years to fruition.   None of the folks today can't compare.....

12 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If I had to pick one song that should never have been written or recorded, I couldn’t do it!

But there are certainly three that come quickly to mind.

#1: Just A Swingin’

#2: Family Tradition 

#3: You Never Even Call Me By My Name

Not Necessarily In That Order!!

There are two great songs that were ruined by being so overplayed! Stairway To Heaven and Free Bird have been played so far past “to death” that I just turn them off when they come on.

When we played the fraternity houses in the Southeast, with the guitar players in our band, we invariably had requests for both of these songs. I would announce that one of them had been asked for and explain that we did know whichever one was requested, but that it was a “Tip Bucket” song and that if we played it, we expected a hundred bucks in the tip bucket for each member of the band!  Since there were always five to seven guys on stage, we only ever played Free Bird twice that I remember. 

There’s another song that I learned because it was so often asked for. “Keep Your Hands To Yourself” was big on campuses all over! It was also a song that more than one customer demanded not be played! I really hate that song!!

I liked the Georgia Satellites!   Gotta admit, though, I liked 'Battleship Chains' better than 'Keep Your Hands to Yourself'.

I don't like   "Gimmick" songs, regardless of genre.  A gimmick song is where the lyrics are cute or interesting the first or maybe the second time around, but you begin to hate the song by the third time you've heard it.  The above mentioned "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" or "Fortune Teller" (most recently covered by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss) are good examples.  The Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" is one of the rare "gimmick" songs that holds up to repeated listening.

8 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I don't like   "Gimmick" songs, regardless of genre.  A gimmick song is where the lyrics are cute or interesting the first or maybe the second time around, but you begin to hate the song by the third time you've heard it.  The above mentioned "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" or "Fortune Teller" (most recently covered by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss) are good examples.  The Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" is one of the rare "gimmick" songs that holds up to repeated listening.

The cover of 'Sympathy for the Devil' was by Motorhead is pretty good, too.:rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

Another annoying one, The Groove is in the Heart by DeeLight.

The only good thing that came out of that song was it brought Bootsy to the attention of another generation.

65+ years ago, i was outside, studying for an exam, when the neighbour put a song on the record player, on repeat.

They Say Don't Go On Wolverton Mountain

Now I have to see my therapist again.

23 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

65+ years ago, i was outside, studying for an exam, when the neighbour put a song on the record player, on repeat.

They Say Don't Go On Wolverton Mountain

Now I have to see my therapist again.

Many, many years ago, I had a roommate that bought the Blondes Have More Fun album buy Rod Stewart. Played Do Ya Think I'm Sexy over and over. I asked him if he'd sell the album for $5.00, he said yes. Took the album out to the parking lot next to the duplex and Frisbee'd it off the pavement, retrieved it..did it again and again. One of the best $5.00 I ever spent.

On 9/2/2023 at 10:21 AM, Gracos Kid said:

I can't stand any rap efforts at talent.   Whatever happened to the Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke, Jerry Butler, Gene McDaniels wonderful singing talent that brought my teen years to fruition.   None of the folks today can't compare.....

Unfortunately Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke and Gene McDaniel are no longer with us.  I really tried to see as many of the old time performers as I could back in the 1970s-1990s.

Archived