SASS Wire Forum

Negligent Discharge

ORNERY OAF

Ok, this hits me every time I watch the Searchers with John Wayne. 

How many have noticed that when Ethan,Capt. Clayton and the rangers are fighting the charging band of Comanche warrior as they are coming across the river, Clayton(ward bond) runs out of ammo in his six gun. John Wayne tosses his to the captain and warns him "watch out,it's loaded"..Capt. Clayton removes his hat and hits the Duke with it. As he drops the gun to cock it, it goes off before he raises to aim!!! He then cocks one and aims as if nothing happened.... is it just me or did he blast one off unintentionally?????? 

Sorry, long weird post. But I think he had a negligent discharge,lol....

OO

43 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

, it goes off before he raises to aim!!! He then cocks one and aims as if nothing happened...

What you expect him to do? Yell CUT and have the Indians go back across the river, so they can do the scene again where he doesn't try to shoot his foot?

If it was real life - if my gun was empty and you tossed me one and my thumb slipped as I was cocking it to shoot the bad guy - I'd just cock it and shoot the next bad guy. Continue on.

We’ve all done something close to that at cowboy shoots and if you haven’t you will!:lol:

I see that every time - and have come to the conclusion it's realistic; under the stress of being attacked a negligent discharge would not be unlikely, and like the Reverend after having one you'd just keep shooting.

The part I find unrealistic about that scene is how many of the cowboys are using pistols rather than rifles, and shooting them at a ridiculously long range for the pistol.

5 minutes ago, Bart Slade said:

I see that every time - and have come to the conclusion it's realistic; under the stress of being attacked a negligent discharge would not be unlikely, and like the Reverend after having one you'd just keep shooting.

The part I find unrealistic about that scene is how many of the cowboys are using pistols rather than rifles, and shooting them at a ridiculously long range for the pistol.

Just because we shoot at 4 foot for pistols , 

Don't mean they can't be shot at much farther distances lol .

I have taken Deer at 80+ yards with one shot hand rolled and No Scope for training wheels .

And this is a movie they can shoot way beyond that ! lol 

1 hour ago, Bart Slade said:

48 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I have taken Deer at 80+ yards with one shot hand rolled and No Scope for training wheels .

And this is a movie they can shoot way beyond that ! lol 

I think what Bart is referring to is that they would more likely use rifles at longer ranges. Better accuracy and more firepower with less reloading.

18 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I like the car/truck driving on the road in the background....I bet that annoyed the director.

I didn’t see any car driving in the background! :blink:

1 hour ago, Bart Slade said:

This is characteristic of Western movies in general; hundreds of 'em. In actuality, they would have been using rifles in most situations, I think.

8 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I’m watching on my phone, I don’t see any car in the background ! It’s either my eyes or this phone! 
Does anyone else see it?

17 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

At 19 seconds:

image.png.ea484ff25023db22fff5a5dc25b757af.png

Pretty blurry, I guess if you say so!

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

AD, no doubt about it. Just surprised that they didn't show the shot killing 4 Indians at once.

ND, though many sports call it an AD in competition.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

We’ve all done something close to that at cowboy shoots and if you haven’t you will!:lol:

Not in cowboy, though I probably will at some point. Have done it in Steel Challenge as I was learning to play at the edge of the trigger reset on one of my guns. Tarheels 3Gun rules do call it an ND and it is an SDQ if memory is correct. The verbiage is along the lines of any discharge that clearly was not intended to engage a target.

And totally not related to the topic, some guy in Ben Hur was wearing a wristwatch. And in The Godfather, semi trailers rise above the wall behind the cemetery.

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

some guy in Ben Hur was wearing a wristwatch

Don't know about a guy in Ben Hur wearing a wrist watch, but there's a guy in Glory - Civil War movie - wearing a wrist watch.

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I like the car/truck driving on the road in the background....I bet that annoyed the director.

Back in the fifties and sixties I used to get a kick out of stage coaches and riders going up and down the canyons east of Salt Lake City and seeing UP Big Boys and Challengers hauling 100 car freight consists on the railroad tracks behind them and contrails in the skies above.

yes , i did notice it , i thought it an on purpose thing to make the movie human , i dont think it was looked at the same way back then , under fire , in stress , chit happening quickly and no thinking of anything but survival ....that said , had six indians died from that shot i would not be making that comment ,

i love that movie - it was before any thought was given to "feelings" and "insensitivity" or "offending"  anyone , it was perhaps not an accurate  portrayal of everything old west but it portrayed va lot of what i think of as old west - less feeling [but not without] trying to survive against things that were looking at life from another point of view with the same intent , 

not much different than today , two opposite ways of looking at life except all wanting the same thing , its just that back then you said what you were thinking without apology and lived what you said , today we have to overanalyze it all in terms of acceptability , you cant use certain words because someone said they were bad [george carlin defined those] now thats nearly every word that once was common use , and ......an AD is looked at as a bad thing but in that instance it was being a human under pressure - a trained one that had been there before done that , i think they were admitting we all are human , right down to eathen not shooting his sister , in every part of that movie , 

unlike today when everyone seems beyond human ,

7 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

You can see it moving in the video. 

That’s not a video it’s just a picture but the video that’s on before I can’t see it. Oh well…..

Finally saw it!! Buckshot Bears hint of glint helped. Thanks Bear.

17 hours ago, Bart Slade said:

I read a book written by a working cowboy, late 19 century. He stated most cowboys couldn't afford guns, certainly not two. Most ranchers handed guns out to cowboys who needed them, for things like predator control.

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I read a book written by a working cowboy, late 19 century. He stated most cowboys couldn't afford guns, certainly not two. Most ranchers handed guns out to cowboys who needed them, for things like predator control.

That's generally true, but in this circumstance the party was going out to rescue abductees from the Comanche.   And being in Comanche country, I suspect they would all have rifles at their disposal.   And if they HAD rifles, they'd have used them rather than pistols.  Ward Bond's character would CERTAINLY have had a rifle.

Of course all this is also purposely ignoring that this movie clearly takes place a lot earlier than 1873...so they wouldn't have had all those guns anyway.   Seems like Henrys / Spencers would have been it for repeaters, and C&B revolvers on their hips (or horses)

2 minutes ago, Bart Slade said:

a lot earlier than 1873...so they wouldn't have had all those guns anyway

It is a little known fact that the first time machine was made from a covered wagon, not a Delorian.  Cowboys, lawmen and outlaws regularly used them to move forward to either 1873 or sometimes 1892 in order to buy guns, and then they travelled back to their point of origin to continue their adventures with better hardware.

In the opening of the movie it says 1868, and yes we can all see the 73 peacemakers and rifles used may be a smidge early. But in the movies defense, the search for Debbie took several years to bring her home........and it's is a fantastic movie , so we let it go:)..still one of my all time favorites

What I have never seen or read is loading a sixth round when danger is imminent, especially if the gun is in your hand and the natives are headed in...

Archived