SASS Wire Forum

Selling an old coin?

While cleaning s drawer this week I came across an 1899 coin I was given years ago. It means nothing to me and I’m interested in selling it, or even learning if it has value, but have no idea how to find a reputable purchaser. 

I’ve heard coin discussions before in the Saloon and would appreciate any insight folks may have. 

I can tell you condition is everything. Rarity is another key factor. I had a small collection for decades and as it turns out most of use save the same non-valuable coins so when selling them it’s hard to even get face value. I no longer save anything that isn’t silver and I only save it because it has true value. Stamps are the same lie. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

1899 Liberty dollar. Not in particularly good shape. 

It most likely worth spot silver and that’s it. 

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I think Cyrus Cassidy is knowledgeable about this.

Yes, I consider myself a genuine numismatist and am a member of the American Numismatic Association.

So, Charlie, if you could please post some QUALITY photos of both sides, and the edges if there is any damage, I could give you a ball park figure of its worth, and whether or not I'm interested in it.  If not, I can direct you somewhere.  

Regarding eBay, I wouldn't recommend it.  Their pay system (PayPal) has an anti-gun stance.  Furthermore, prior to swearing off PayPal, I bought and sold a lot of coins on there.  The auction fees got so extensive you'll end up almost breaking even.  

Silver money is .7235 oz silver to the dollar if it as no collector value

Look at kitco for spot price of silver multiply and that's the floor

I bought bunch of old coins a few years ago for silverweight. Many of them were REALLY nice, but were minted in such enormous quantities have almost no collector value unless in near perfect condition. Many of them were Morgans. In 1921 there were a total of 86.7 MILLION Morgans produced.

JHC

https://morgandollars.net/morgan-dollar-mintage/

10 hours ago, Blue Wolf , SASS# 29424L said:

That’s a New Orleans mint Morgan dollar. I have collected some. Most usually sell around spot price. Carson City mint are the ones worth more. 

So if Charlie took his Morgan Silver Dollar to Carson City it would be worth more? :P

22 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I love old silver Morgans...

Yup. Same here. Got a pile of them too. I'll pass mine down and hopefully they don't get spent on anything but firearms. :D Something really cool about that old silver coinage. I have one CC that is my good luck dollar.

2 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Yup. Same here. Got a pile of them too. I'll pass mine down and hopefully they don't get spent on anything but firearms. :D Something really cool about that old silver coinage. I have one CC that is my good luck dollar.

I had 8 silver quarters (smoothies) and I was clinking them in my hand because real silver coinage has a sweet ring to it. Bdoc finally said “knock it off with the coins already”

On 1/7/2022 at 5:56 PM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Here’s the best I could do with pictures:

6196EE92-2B2B-4889-8BFE-917DF509AB23.jpeg

B67496F3-2D18-4330-BCD0-97B2DDEBBDBF.jpeg

48B2F3BF-92CE-4779-BC49-90EEA9A8BF5E.jpeg

Pard, there is some good advice and some rather poor advice on here.  For starters, someone corrected you on the name "Morgan" versus "Liberty" dollar.  In fact, you were correct:  The official name of this coin is a Liberty dollar.  However, the guy who referred to it as a "Morgan" dollar is also correct.  It was officially called the "liberty" because the picture on the obverse (front) is an artist's conception of what "liberty" would look like as a goddess.  That artist happened to be named George T. Morgan.  So it is often referred to by his name rather than by its official named as dictated by the US Mint.  Either name works, and collectors will use both.

Mint mark:  This series had the mint mark on the reverse, above "dollar" and below the wreath.  In your case, it's an "O," meaning it was minted in New Orleans.  In that particular year, there were two varieties of mint mark; one was smaller, and referred to as a "micro O."  Without seeing the coin up close, I can't tell if this one happens to be that variety.  It does command a lot more value at higher grades, but this is a low grade coin and the difference is minimal. 

Grade:  Someone mentioned its grade as G4.  I almost agree with that, but I would grade it as a "Good Details."  The term, "good" refers to how much wear is on the coin; the less wear, the better.  The scale goes from 1 to 70, and "good" can either be a 4 or a 6.  So "good" really isn't all that good, but the coin remains easily identifiable.  Grading can be a little subjective, but I'm going by the standards published by the American Numismatic Association.

However, I said "good details," not Good 4 or 6.  The term, "details" added, with the number deleted, means the coin is damaged in a manner beyond normal wear, and it is therefore a problem coin.  It is not truly a "good" coin, but only reflects wear consistent with a "good" grade.  The "details" cuts its value significantly.  I'm looking at the scratches on the obverse, especially just below the date, and somewhat on liberty's neck.  Furthermore, there are more scratches on the reverse (back) on the word "dollar" and the rim near it.  The edge is dinged significantly beyond what is normally acceptable.  Finally, while toning is not a bad thing on silver coins, judging by the dullness of said toning, blotch near liberty's hat, and darker toning in hard-to-reach corners like inside the letters, this coin has been harshly cleaned in the past and has re-toned over time.  ANY ONE of the problems I have mentioned would garner a "details" grade, and this particular coin has all of them.

Value:  Given the details grade and commonality of the coin itself, this coin is only worth "spot," or its value in silver.  It doesn't have any numismatic value.

i have a friend that collects - ive seen what he collects and why , im no expert but i do appreciate those that are , id keep that one in my gun cart just for fun , you dont see them in daily life 

6 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I appreciate everyone’s inputs and ideas. I’m going to keep and think of something fun to do with it. 

Just a thought...

Are there any youngsters in your life say around 10 or 12 years old that you might be able to give this to and explain what it is with an interesting story attached and perhaps get them started into silver collecting?

Great suggestion, Dantankerous. 

When I was about that age, I attended a Masonic church service in Philadelphia with my folks.  An elderly couple next to me placed about 20 Morgans in the collection plate.  At the end of the service, they complimented my folks on their well-behaved son (if they only knew!) and gave me an 1879 Morgan as a keepsake.  Almost sixty years later I still have that Morgan, and have added more than 100 others to my collection. 

Find a youngster to inspire and pass it on.

LL

Archived