SASS Wire Forum

Watched the Magnificent Seven remake last night

Buckshot Bear

Had a hard time with the fast draw reverse twist with butt forward holster.     GW

Just now, G W Wade said:

Had a hard time with the fast draw reverse twist with butt forward holster.     GW

And then you realized it was fiction/the movies and were ok with it? Or are you more like my father who didn't like Batman because "none of it was believable?"

Wife gives me H#%* cause I complain about things I think are stupid or just wrong.    Watched the movie anyway    GW

27 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Wife gives me H#%* cause I complain about things I think are stupid or just wrong.    Watched the movie anyway    GW

Of course we complain and point out inaccuracies. That's what makes it fun.

35 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

I ramp it up a notch, I actually pause the movie to complain :) 

57 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Rex Allen did a fast draw reverse twist with a butt forward holster.

Rex_Allen_JPG.93212103_std.thumb.jpg.4fb77466630f6fee336b8b6a11e020e8.jpg

I seem to recall Bill Hickok was supposed to be pretty fast, and he carried butt forward and used a reverse twist draw.

I draw the line at reverse draw butt forward quick draw with a somersault and a twist…but that’s just me. ;)

In the words of my lovely and loving wife…”Just be quiet and watch the movie, or don’t!” :wub: She says the sweetest things sometimes. :wub:

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Enjoyed it from start to finish.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I saw it a few months back. Good movie. 

Thanks.  The trailer I saw for it made it seem like a turkey.   And usually remakes fall far shot of the original.

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

You can do that without sweeping anybody?

It’s the movies…one can do anything! ;)

I never liked Yul Brunner in that role, I actually liked the new version much better! Denzel Washington was great in that role! So was Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke.;)

BTW Wild Bill Hickok did okay with the reverse draw!:o

According to movie lore, Steve McQueen shaking the shotgun shells was an unscripted moment, and Yul Brenner was utterly livid because that was all the talk on the set for days, taking the spotlight away from him.  

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Ever seen the Coen Brothers remake of True Grit?  I feel like I’m disrespecting The Duke himself, but I liked the remake even better.

Only snippets on Youtube and the trailers.  The gruff, low volume, mumbled dialog makes movies hard for me to like.

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

According to movie lore, Steve McQueen shaking the shotgun shells was an unscripted moment, and Yul Brenner was utterly livid because that was all the talk on the set for days, taking the spotlight away from him.  

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

According to Eli Wallach's autobiography, Yul Brynner had a major problem with what he perceived as Steve McQueen's trying to upstage him. According to Wallach, McQueen would do things when on screen with Brynner to draw attention to his character. Examples were his shaking of the shotgun shells and taking off his hat to check the sun during the hearse scene and leaning off his horse to dip his hat in the river when the Seven cross into Mexico. Brynner was supposedly so worried about McQueen stealing his limelight in scenes that he hired an assistant to count the number of times McQueen touched his own hat when Brynner was speaking.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047/trivia?item=tr0779703

If someone is into westerns I don't see how they couldn't enjoy watching the remake. Not saying it's  the greatest but how many better ones are made these days? Some people get more enjoyment out of finding things not to like about something instead of the parts they might like.  They feel good setting inconsistent, impossibly high standards in an attempt to "elevate" themselves. They find little enjoyment in anything. I also think someone other then Yul Brynner would have been interesting to see.

16 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

If someone is into westerns I don't see how they couldn't enjoy watching the remake. Not saying it's  the greatest but how many better ones are made these days? Some people get more enjoyment out of finding things not to like about something instead of the parts they might like.  They feel good setting inconsistent, impossibly high standards in an attempt to "elevate" themselves. They find little enjoyment in anything. I also think someone other then Yul Brynner would have been interesting to see.

Too bad Steve McQueen didn't get the lead part but I understand Yul was very popular at the time. I just couldn't get into him as a gunfighter/cowboy!

I enjoyed the remake.  While the basic premise didn't change, there was enough change in the details to make this a different movie than the original and the acting was generally better.  It was also had more humor than the original.  I'd definitely watch it again, in many respects it's more fun to watch.

37 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Too bad Steve McQueen didn't get the lead part but I understand Yul was very popular at the time. I just couldn't get into him as a gunfighter/cowboy!

It's my understanding that Yul Brynner owned the rights to the book to produce the movie in the US.  

15 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Watched the Magnificent Seven remake again last night, lots of Yellow boys to see and lots of nice rigs to look at.

More info and pics of the rigs on the maker's site:

http://www.andrewsleather.com/exotic/Promotional/Mag7/index.html

Anyone ever see the short lived tv series about maybe 10 years ago, it was on CBS believe it or not!

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The gruff, low volume, mumbled dialog makes movies hard for me to like.

That, and when Jeff Bridges says, "Fill your hand you .....", he might as well have been saying, "Your mother wears combat boots", compared to The Duke.

32 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Anyone ever see the short lived tv series about maybe 10 years ago, it was on CBS believe it or not!

Watched it faithfully. REALLY liked Michael Biehn as Chris Larraby.  The rest of The Seven were a varied and diverse group, but when challenged they worked really well together.

3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

That, and when Jeff Bridges says, "Fill your hand you .....", he might as well have been saying, "Your mother wears combat boots", compared to The Duke.

Watched it faithfully. REALLY liked Michael Biehn as Chris Larraby.  The rest of The Seven were a varied and diverse group, but when challenged they worked really well together.

Forgot about Micheal Bien being Chris! Excellent !

18 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Of course we complain and point out inaccuracies. That's what makes it fun.

But, my wife doesn't like to hear it.  I will point out something like, "that gun isn't even loaded."  And she says, "I don't care, just watch the movie".

Supposedly Brynner told McQueen that if McQueen continued to try to steal scenes, Brynner would just take off his hat.  Then no one would look at McQueen!

I enjoy both movies.  Repeatedly.

Archived