SASS Wire Forum

Info needed for brass used for Black Powder

Snakebite Dust SASS 75484

When I see BP shooters most of them put their brass in a container with some kind of liquid after they finish a stage. What is the liquid? I am guessing water and Dawn or something like that. Also what does the liquid do?

I have only shot BP a couple times and just threw the brass away because I didn't know how to clean it.

Thanks

Yep.. Water and Dawn.  

I shoot, then dump the brass in it, shake it around.  Then once home I rinse it with clean water, let the brass air dry on a towel or use an old Dehydrator.  Once dry I use a lee Universal decapping die to knock primers out and then toss in tumbler.

The water/soap solution helps neutralize the corrosive salts that attack the brass. 

Some people put them in the water/soap solution at the range. Other do it when they get home.

I wait till I get home and them put them in my wet tumbler and clean as soon as I get home. 

In agreement here as I often use W/D, however water and windshield wash is also good combination.  If I do not have either, water with Windex/V will work in a pinch.  I use at range as many do, then when I get home I like to rinse again with soapy warm water followed by plain warm to hot water, drain, dry, and  into the vibrator.

I happen to use nickel cases for BP so to always know BP from smokeless. Yea, Sassy has got a BP round a time or two....not good.  Nickel clean up good and shiny but certainly don't last as long.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

H2O and vinegar 

OLG 

I'm leaning in this direction. I've read ratios ranging from 1:1 all the down to 16:1 (2 oz vinegar per quart of water).

The main caution I have come across is leaving the brass in the solution too long; if the solution turns blue, then copper is leaching out of the brass.

What is your ratio and how long are you willing to leave them soak before rinsing?

I would not leave the cases to soak overnight, and plan to rinse the stuff off as soon as practical. But from first shots to me getting home can easily be 8 hours.

For those using Windex (or generic glass cleaner), make sure it does not contain ammonia. Ammonia "digs in" to the structure making brass brittle. Cases soaked with ammonia are more likely to split.

32 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I'm leaning in this direction. I've read ratios ranging from 1:1 all the down to 16:1 (2 oz vinegar per quart of water).

The main caution I have come across is leaving the brass in the solution too long; if the solution turns blue, then copper is leaching out of the brass.

What is your ratio and how long are you willing to leave them soak before rinsing?

I would not leave the cases to soak overnight, and plan to rinse the stuff off as soon as practical. But from first shots to me getting home can easily be 8 hours.

For those using Windex (or generic glass cleaner), make sure it does not contain ammonia. Ammonia "digs in" to the structure making brass brittle. Cases soaked with ammonia are more likely to split.

3 parts water to 1 part vinegar. 

I deprime first and let the cases soak about 20 minutes. 

Rinse twice and into the rotary tumbler they go.

OLG 

5 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Yep.. Water and Dawn.  

I shoot, then dump the brass in it, shake it around.  Then once home I rinse it with clean water, let the brass air dry on a towel or use an old Dehydrator.  Once dry I use a lee Universal decapping die to knock primers out and then toss in tumbler.

Yep, I do the exact same thing. 

I found lugging some sort of Jug around sloping soapy water all over to be a gross PITA.  Not even worth the effort.

My method id really really simple.  I just throw ALL my fired brass in my range bag and tote it home DRY.  One day local,  two day away, three day away wonder match, no matter.  Just tote ALL the brass home dry.  Get home, dump it inna shop sink, cover it with plain water and a goodly amount of White Vinegar.  Carefully measured of course.  Just dump a bunch in.  Let it soak for 30 - 40 minutes and rinse.  Toss inna oven onna baking sheet for 90 minutes at 180 to dry.  Toss it in the Dillon with Lizard Litter for an hour and DONE.  Take longer to type it than to actually do it.

I use Simple Green and soak when I get home about 30 minutes. Rinse with water and dry overnight and then into the tumbler with car polish in the corn media. Brass is shiny and ready for more black powder. DC

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

I soak in the dishwasher tab overnight...the water is green...

No problem so far...

Surgery professor lecturing our class on various surgical approaches to the hip joint:  “When there is more than one way, there is no ‘best’ way!”

Find what works for you.

A 1 hour soak in water/Dawn while cleaning guns at home, rinse, dry in sunshine or with a hair dryer if I am in a hurry.  Into the Dillon tumbler with corncob media and 1/2 teaspoon of Dillon Rapid Polish 290. Tumble until I remember to turn it off.

I am not as nit picking as others.  If I were shooting small targets at long distances I would probably segregate brass by black powder versus smokeless, number of reloads, etc.  But I don’t.  Polish ‘em, reload ‘em, pitch ‘em when they split.  

Works for me.

Haven’t noticed any advantage of a vinegar/water solution. If you try it, the critical element is a limited time in the liquid. I once forgot about a jar of brass for about 5-6 days. Turned the brass the color pewter. Didn’t affect its shootability, but sure looked strange. Eventually it returned to its natural color over a year’s worth of shooting and cleaning. 

Been on the dish soap and water bandwagon since.

As always, YMMV

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Surgery professor lecturing our class on various surgical approaches to the hip joint:  “When there is more than one way, there is no ‘best’ way!”

Find what works for you.

A 1 hour soak in water/Dawn while cleaning guns at home, rinse, dry in sunshine or with a hair dryer if I am in a hurry.  Into the Dillon tumbler with corncob media and 1/2 teaspoon of Dillon Rapid Polish 290. Tumble until I remember to turn it off.

I am not as nit picking as others.  If I were shooting small targets at long distances I would probably segregate brass by black powder versus smokeless, number of reloads, etc.  But I don’t.  Polish ‘em, reload ‘em, pitch ‘em when they split.  

Works for me.

When you run out of the Dillon juice.

Go to Walmart and get some Turtle Wax polishing compound. ;)

OLG 

Hey Snake ask me next time we shoot together. Any and all of the above work. Particulars are not important. Water with a touch of detergent, drain and air dry over a couple days, no rinse, throw in tumbler for a couple hours and they are ready to reload. Been doing it for 20 years. Still use some of those original cases from 20 years ago.:lol:

A little extra attention is sometimes needed for the BP fouling that blows into the primer pockets.  The salts and carbonates can stick the primer to the pocket walls, and they can fill the pocket so that next primer can be hard to seat flush or tighter.   I don't wait long after the brass dries to knock out primers and clean up the real rough ones with a pocket reamer or brush. 

good luck, GJ

Hmmmm...

Here's what I do.

Dump every round from the ULT into a pouch on my not-so-Rugged Gear Cart...empty that out about once a month into a bin...then in a few months, dump that into my wet tumbler...then into my automated separator/rinser/dryer.

Done!

But please folks, continue scaring away folks from using BP cuz it's such a pain in the @#!...oh, and don't forget to start a thread on the complexities of loading BP. That's always good for scaring away a few folks...

Phantom

24 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Hmmmm...

Here's what I do.

Dump every round from the ULT into a pouch on my not-so-Rugged Gear Cart...empty that out about once a month into a bin...then in a few months, dump that into my wet tumbler...then into my automated separator/rinser/dryer.

Done!

But please folks, continue scaring away folks from using BP cuz it's such a pain in the @#!...oh, and don't forget to start a thread on the complexities of loading BP. That's always good for scaring away a few folks...

Phantom

I said nothing scary!!!

I love my bp!!!

29 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Hmmmm...

Here's what I do.

Done!

Phantom

I have even offered to walk people through the loading...and to help them clean their guns, if they would give it a try!!!

2 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I have even offered to walk people through the loading...and to help them clean their guns, if they would give it a try!!!

Takes me 30 minutes to clean all 4 guns...but please, let's keep these secrets between just you and me...gotta guard against having too many people in my category.

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Takes me 30 minutes to clean all 4 guns...but please, let's keep these secrets between just you and me...gotta guard against having too many people in my category.

Stinker!!!

Yes, might take me 30!

Snake snott pushes out nicely after a spray of Windex or Simple Green.

Cylinders just wash off like dust on a windshield.

Easy-peasy!!!

5 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Stinker!!!

Yes, might take me 30!

Easy-peasy!!!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

BP is not that complicated...but some folks seem to want to make it that way.

;)

Much like the folks afraid to shoot surplus ammo because they are afraid the "corrosive primers" will cause the barrel to rot before they can get home.

Putting spent BP in a liquid container at the range is a BIG MISTAKE …

*. Take them home dry

* Then decap the primers and the insides of the die will not become rusted and corroded 

Then rinse the spent brass in hot water and Dawn before cleaning the cases

12 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Stinker!!!

Yes, might take me 30!

Easy-peasy!!!

Care to share some advice on cleaning. Its been taking me longer than that. Did switch shotgun wads from plastic to fiber wads and making a huge difference in how much time to clean the shotgun. Am I being too picky on my pistols? Takes me longer than 30 minutes on them for sure

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Open to advice on cleaning the guns too. Takes me longer than 30 minutes on just the pistols. Thanks

38 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Putting spent BP in a liquid container at the range is a BIG MISTAKE …

*. Take them home dry

* Then decap the primers and the insides of the die will not become rusted and corroded 

Then rinse the spent brass in hot water and Dawn before cleaning the cases

It works for me, so how is it a BIG MISTAKE?  I had some brass I did not clean with soapy water at our regional.  2 days later when I got home they were badly corroded and went in the trash.  The brass I put in soapy water at the range had no such issue.

33 minutes ago, Snakebite Dust SASS 75484 said:

Care to share some advice on cleaning. Its been taking me longer than that. Did switch shotgun wads from plastic to fiber wads and making a huge difference in how much time to clean the shotgun. Am I being too picky on my pistols? Takes me longer than 30 minutes on them for sure

Me personally...

I don't 'break down' everything.

Pistols:

I take out Cylinder and pin...

I spray with Windex...or if real cruddy, soak a bit in hot, soapy water.

I spray off the rest and after drying, spray all with CLP and run patch or bore snake. (About twice a year I remove grips, and put frame in to soak)

Rifle:

Again...spritz with cleaner, wipe and CLP.

Run action several times...if crud is still coming up on sides of carrier, I will then remove it and give thourough cleaning. Patch or snake the barrell.

Shotty:

Remove barrells...spray really well inside, and use coiled brush to push snott out.

Spray CLP inside and swab well.

CLP all connecting parts.

Only clean the ejector pin out if it is really grungy.

I think we need to take care of our tools...but some take it to the extreme!

With BP you need to be thourough. With APP it is a bit more forgiving.

Too much 'lube' collects crud. Reason I like CLP...the 'original' from Brownells.

Everyone has their thing...

We each have a system. You will find yours.

When we started, my Marine would break down EVERY TIME we shot...then clean for 3 days in a row.

Extra tidbit:

I am not a champion shooter.

Yes, I have had issues in the past 15yrs because I may not have cleaned as good as I could have.

Find what works for YOU.

Use what works for YOU.

Bogus Deal likes Balistol...works perfectly, but I can't enjoy the smell!!!

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Snakebite Dust SASS 75484 said:

Open to advice on cleaning the guns too. Takes me longer than 30 minutes on just the pistols. Thanks

First there are a lot of ways to clean guns. find what works for you.

I clean all 4 in 30-45 minutes.

Ballistol alone will not clean up Black powder. You need a mix of 50 to 90% water

to be effective.  Moose milk is 90% water 10% ballistol.

PAM is equal parts peroxide, Alcohol and Murphy's Oil Soap.

Squeeg-E is made by Remington.

Plug muzzle end of 87 SG barrel with cork  Squirt a little Ballistol down barrel from breech end. Also give the action a good spritz of moose milk. Stand gun on muzzle and fill barrel with hot water.  Allow to soak while cleaning other guns.

Open action of rifle and spritz with Moose Milk allow to soak.

Remove cylinders from pistols Spritz with Moose Milk or PAM. Sit aside

Spritz inside of top strap with PAM or Moose milk. Cock hammer and spritz hammer channel with Moose Milk or PAM.

Use tooth brush wet with hot water to scrub window in frame, recoil shield, and hammer channel. Rinse same with hot water. Run hot water down barrel from breech end. Pull Squeeg-E down barrel. Followed by ballistol soaked patch. Use rag dampened with ballistol to wipe down pistol. Put a squirt of ballistol in hammer channel.

Use tooth brush on cylinders. Rinse with hot water. Ballistol patch through the cylinders.   

Reassemble pistols using Mobil-1 grease on cylinder pin.

Tooth brush action of rifle, rinse with hot water including running hot water down barrel. Squeeg-E and then ballistol patch. wipe down action and rest of rifle with ballistol moistened cloth.

Pour water out of SG barrel, remove cork and pull Squeeg-E down barrel. Tooth brush action then rinse with hot water. Spritz action with ballistol. Ballistol patch down barrel. Wipe down everything with ballistol rag.

Put all 4 guns in safe.

Took almost a long to type this as to do it.

Archived